PDA

View Full Version : Coach P -- ACC Coach of the Year

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Congrats to Coach McCallie for getting her second COY in three years!

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/10799769/

roywhite
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Congrats to Coach McCallie for getting her second COY in three years!

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/10799769/

Good for Coach P.

There are some notable parallels between her career and that of Coach K:

followed a popular, successful coach who left unexpectedly
brought in a different style
had some initial success with players that were already there
had some difficulty recruiting successfully in the first couple seasons
faced some criticism that they weren't the right person for the job
begain to recruit very successfully, bringing in some nationally prominent recruits
started winning with regularity
began to have success in the post-season

The nucleus of young players that Coach P has now could be the equivalent of the Dawkins/Alarie/Henderson group that took the Blue Devils to the National finals.
Good work, Coach P.

killerleft
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
There's only one thing missing from her very impressive resume. We're maybe a year or so away from a serious run, but McCallie has certainly had this very young team playing well and playing together. And we've had three (!) fine players miss most or part of the season.

Congrats, Coach P!

Mike Corey
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
As a critic of Coach P's from the start, I'm glad and happy to see success coming her team's way--and hers, as a result.

Let's keep it going, Blue Devils!

Class of '94
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Good for Coach P.

There are some notable parallels between her career and that of Coach K:

followed a popular, successful coach who left unexpectedly
brought in a different style
had some initial success with players that were already there
had some difficulty recruiting successfully in the first couple seasons
faced some criticism that they weren't the right person for the job
begain to recruit very successfully, bringing in some nationally prominent recruits
started winning with regularity
began to have success in the post-season

The nucleus of young players that Coach P has now could be the equivalent of the Dawkins/Alarie/Henderson group that took the Blue Devils to the National finals.
Good work, Coach P.

I think to be fair, one would have to say that the jury is still out with regards to P's ability to recruit because of the impact/upgrade of recruits that Duke brought in the last couple of years due to the former asst coach that's now at Carolina. I'd like to see Coach P and Duke continue to bring high ranking classes for the next few years in order to confirm that it is Coach P and not someone else that's reposnsible for bringing in elite talent.

That said, Coach P has clearly demonstrated that she is a good coach and can develop good teams. I've been really impressed with the improved flow and shooting within the offense of this year's team. If the players continue to develop and add to what they have, Duke will play for a NC within the next couple year or two imo.

uh_no
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I think to be fair, one would have to say that the jury is still out with regards to P's ability to recruit because of the impact/upgrade of recruits that Duke brought in the last couple of years due to the former asst coach that's now at Carolina. I'd like to see Coach P and Duke continue to bring high ranking classes for the next few years in order to confirm that it is Coach P and not someone else that's reposnsible for bringing in elite talent.

That said, Coach P has clearly demonstrated that she is a good coach and can develop good teams. I've been really impressed with the improved flow and shooting within the offense of this year's team. If the players continue to develop and add to what they have, Duke will play for a NC within the next couple year or two imo.

If there was a year, it would be 2 years down the road.....I think baylor has the inside track this year and next year with odyssey and simms (given uconn has a griner-esque dunker coming in...but frosh vs sr?) and ND is graduating half their starters this year....so the door is very much open with such a young duke team....