PDA

View Full Version : Icing injuries

PallasAthena
02-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Last night, as I watched Seth Curry writhing on the bench after he hit his knee and had to come out of the game, I wondered for the hundredth time, "Why don't they ice that knee?!?" He appeared to be done for the night. Wouldn't ice sooner rather than later help prevent swelling and reduce inflammation? Isn't it better to do that as soon after an injury as possible? I don't think I've ever see anybody use ice on the Duke bench.

Hope one of you orthopaedists out there can advise:confused:.

CDu
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Last night, as I watched Seth Curry writhing on the bench after he hit his knee and had to come out of the game, I wondered for the hundredth time, "Why don't they ice that knee?!?" He appeared to be done for the night. Wouldn't ice sooner rather than later help prevent swelling and reduce inflammation? Isn't it better to do that as soon after an injury as possible? I don't think I've ever see anybody use ice on the Duke bench.

Hope one of you orthopaedists out there can advise:confused:.

If it's the moment I think you're referencing (i.e., VERY shortly after Curry bumped knees with McKie), then Curry wasn't done for the night. He came back in a few minutes later. That may have something to do with it.