PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick the Final Four and Champion right now

superdave
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Who would you pick?

I'd go with Kentucky, Florida, Duke and Ohio State. Based on the last few years, we'll probably get a sleeper or two though.

For the Champ, I'd go with Kentucky getting hot and vindicating Calipari.

Super "Opinion subject to change without notice" Dave

CDu
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Who would you pick?

I'd go with Kentucky, Florida, Duke and Ohio State. Based on the last few years, we'll probably get a sleeper or two though.

As of right now, I'd go with Kentucky, Kansas, and two of OSU, MSU, Syracuse and UNC. I'd pick us as 7th. That's hopefully subject to change this weekend. :)

I'd agree with you Kentucky as the favorite to win it all.

hurleyfor3
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
National champion: unc.

Then I can either boast about being right, or be thrilled I'm wrong.

CameronBornAndBred
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Kentucky, Syracuse, unc & Duke

Duke wins

Nepos
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Wichita State, Temple, St. Mary's and Duke (with Syracuse, MSU and UNC as dark horses). This year will be a shocker.

Rich
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Wichita State, Temple, St. Mary's and Duke (with Syracuse, MSU and UNC as dark horses). This year will be a shocker.

Was that meant to be a pun? Are you picking Wichita State? http://goshockers.com/

Nepos
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Was that meant to be a pun? Are you picking Wichita State? http://goshockers.com/

Yes, or a similarly shocking team.

Wander
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Kentucky, Wichita State, Ohio State, Baylor

I can't believe someone got to the Shockers before me!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM

I believe this is the year of the big dogs! The Butler, George Mason, and VCU stories are cute, but don't hold a candle to the big time schools. Not to say that Wichita State isn't a big time team, they are definitely a good team this year but I think they go down in the Sweet 16 just because of seeding.

I'm going with OSU, Kentucky, Syracuse, and Marquette.

Kentucky wins it all...they are too good I think.

superdave
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Baylor? Have you seen them play? I'm curious because I have not. My assumption is lots of young talent, lots of bonehead mistakes in spite of their record.

flyingdutchdevil
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM
I believe Kentucky will be there, but I have no idea who else. I will say that MSU and Kansas will not be dancing in the FF. Just a gut feeling. Don't know why.

weezie
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Duke University.

Wander
02-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Baylor? Have you seen them play? I'm curious because I have not. My assumption is lots of young talent, lots of bonehead mistakes in spite of their record.

That's a totally fair assessment. I think they got a little too much criticism for their losses, but they haven't played as well as they could. I'm sort of banking that the talent will take over and they'll play a bit better once the postseason rolls around.

yancem
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Surprising amount of love for OSU considering how they've played the last couple of weeks. I think right now KY looks to be the team to beat but they haven't played that tough of a schedule and it will be interesting to see how their young guns respond to the pressure of the tournament. The biggest thing they have going for them is their defense. That can cover up some jitters on the offensive end.

I'm not sold on Syracuse. They too haven't played a very difficult schedule and they have rebounding issues. Kansas and Michigan St. have played tough schedules and have some upperclassman leaders. Plus their coaches have the experience. So I will go with those two. As for the last spot, I think it is a toss up. Duke, unc, and Mizzu lead the next group and anyone of them are capable of getting hot and going far. Marquette is also intriguing. My dark horses would be Gtown, Florida and Indiana.

Of course to bring things back full circle, OSU could pull things back together and make a run ;)

Edouble
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Florida State, Kansas, Duke, Michigan State

Duke

Chris Randolph
02-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Kentucky, Syracuse, Marquette, UNC

Marquette

Cameron
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Iona. With a three-headed attack featuring the scoring tandem of big man Mike Glover and guard MoMo Jones (the former Arizona Wildcat put up 43 and seven threes in a game earlier this year), as well as arguably the country's best point guard in Scott Machado, the Gaels are primed for a couple of first-weekend upsets. Although against less-than-stellar opponents, they've already proven their worth against both the ACC and Big Ten, pounding Maryland by 25 and losing a heartbreaker to Purdue by one. If MoMo finds a way to channel his inner-Salim Stoudamire, the Gaels may just blow right into New Orleans.

If the sexy Iona pick falls through, I like Tom Izzo to work his March magic once again.

And I'd pick Duke if we started a golden retriever at point guard. So that's just the way that is.

Kedsy
02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I believe this is the year of the big dogs!

The problem is every team seems to have a fatal flaw. Kentucky may have the least fatal flaw (youth), but it's hard to make a particularly convincing case for anybody else. It would surprise me if the high seeds all win out.

davekay1971
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky, and Marquette

Michigan State has been improving dramatically and is probably the team I don't want to see in a rematch. Kentucky has been good, all year, and, despite their youth, I think they have the defensive mojo to get to the final four. Obviously Syracuse, Kansas, Ohio State, UNC, and several others could reasonably be picked. I like Marquette's moxie, and I think Buzz has those guys really believing in TEAM.

I always pick Duke to win, every year, so there's my rationale for Duke.

ChicagoHeel
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
The problem is every team seems to have a fatal flaw. Kentucky may have the least fatal flaw (youth), but it's hard to make a particularly convincing case for anybody else. It would surprise me if the high seeds all win out.

UNC (because I can't pick against my own team)
UK (talent plus good D)
OSU (I think their defense will overcome offensive deficiencies)
Kansas (hard to pick against a team with a top ten D and O)

If I had to pick one from just outside the top ten, I would go with Georgetown; outside the top 20, FSU. Both choices are based on the teams' defense strength.

It's hard to gauge Syracuse and UK because of their weak schedules.

The Gordog
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Who would you pick?

Duke, 'Cuse, Mich St., UK.

I think the Pac-12 and the Big-12 get shut out this year. The length of the Big Least tourney could certainly wear out the Orange, but it only seemed to help the uConnvicts last year.

Kfanarmy
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Syracuse, Duke, MSU, and Mizzou, for no particular reason. winner pick is obvious.

subzero02
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Duke, 'Cuse, Mich St., UK.

I think the Pac-12 and the Big-12 get shut out this year. The length of the Big Least tourney could certainly wear out the Orange, but it only seemed to help the uConnvicts last year.

Due to a double bye format,the top four seeds in the big east tourney only have to play three games to win the championship. UCONN was one of the bottom eight seeds last year and therefore had to win 5 games in 5 days to win the conference tourney title.

subzero02
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I have G'town as a sleeper to make the final four... I'll go kentucky, duke, msu and gtown...

tele
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
As much as I like golden retrievers, having had one as a boy, I think a border collie would make a much better point guard...

Kentucky, Baylor, Mizzou, Duke; still waiting to see Duke play it's best basketball for a whole game, have seen some good things by halves. Hope it happens in it's biggest game, so I'll pick Duke to win it.

throatybeard
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
And I'd pick Duke if we started a golden retriever at point guard. So that's just the way that is.

Hmm...Chris Collins was kind of like a golden retriever in his youth.

Rogue
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
DUKE ( Duke wins going away )
UNLV

SYRACUSE
DREXEL ( the next CAA wonder, and I think they've beaten the 'cuse once in the past few years )

DUKE vs DREXEL ( and we know there aren't really dragons )

DUKE, NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ( again )

wallyman
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Duke, Ohio State, Wichita State, Kansas

Duke (Have never picked anyone else).

Wheat/"/"/"
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Kentucky, UNC, Syracuse, Kansas.

Kentucky.

Ky has played some ball this season.

G man
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I hate this is their anything worse than picking UK? Answer is yes and it is UNC. I think they are the two I would pick to win it all. That being said I would not be surprised if UNC got bounced in their second game.

Wander
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
DREXEL ( the next CAA wonder, and I think they've beaten the 'cuse once in the past few years )

Great pick. A 17 game winning streak currently. Definitely a possible sleeper to go deep.

uh_no
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
I hate this is their anything worse than picking UK? Answer is yes and it is UNC. I think they are the two I would pick to win it all. That being said I would not be surprised if UNC got bounced in their second game.

neither UK or UNC will win...imo

UNC is meh....they have guys with their heads in the pros (or at least Barnes) who are thinking this is gonna be their time to shine....team play breaks down....i'm sure you'll all be happy to recall when Uconn had a similar situation in 2006 and got bounced by a george mason team....i put them in the elite 8

The SEC slate is incredibly weak....just stupidly weak....and UK finds themselves unprepared for facing tougher teams year in and year out....especially teams that play excellent defense....UWV and Uconn beat them the past two years by forcing them to take ridiculous numbers of threes...and I don't think calipari has the acumen to correct that sort of error mid game....our record would be gaudy too if we could play the SEC schedule they played

Further, I don't think we have what it takes to win it all. if UNC played the last 2 minutes of the game, they have a double digit victory. despite the defense being on the rise, I think it will fail us....i think round of 8/4 is where we'll end up.

I don't think syracuse will win....they have had far more than their fair share of wins they should not have gotten....

if i had to wager a guess, i'd say michigan state

kingboozer
02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Duke, Syracuse, Missouri, Indiana

Duke wins.

Swardy
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky, Ohio state
Duke wins

jipops
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I still think UNC is the best team. Despite losing Strickland, they still have the best combination of talent and experience. Kentucky is the flashiest and probably the best as far as raw talent, but I also see a team upset prone to a half-court oriented team.

-bdbd
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
KY, Syracuse, KA and one of NC@ch, Duke, MSU or OSU (with a slight lean to NC and MSU).

KY and Syracuse are going to be everyone's favorites in NCAA pools everywhere. And I have to go with KY as the best bet to win it all, though I think Calimari is really an overrated NCAAT coach, having consistently lost earlier than he should have for years now.

But this is a good year for a second-tier team to jump in and surprise at the Final Four, like a Duke, OSU or NC (NC and OSU certainly have the talent to win a Natl Championship, but aren't quite putting it all together) and MSU (Izzo always a threat come late-March). I don't have faith in MO's intestinal fortitude during close March games, nor their front court depth.

Verga3
02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Hope I'm wrong....don't want to jinx our guys by picking them.

Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State.

Syracuse to win it.

NYC Duke Fan
02-29-2012, 04:32 AM
I am sure that I will get reamed out for this but I think that Duke could go out in the second round or the third round. I cannot for the life of me see Duke as a Final Four team and winning a championship...no way.This team has struggled and failed to put teams away this season...see Miami, NCState, Wake, St. John's to an extent, these are mediocre teams at best and the team that Duke would face in the second or third round would be much better.

I just don't think, and it is my opinion only which probably isn't worth very much, that this team has the talent to win 6 straight games. I have seen Kentucky and Syracuse play this year and they are much better than Duke especially Kentucky. Kansas is a much better team now than when we beat them in Maui and so is Michigan State even tho they lost last night at Indiana, Izzo is as good of a tournament coach as you can find and he has a stud in Green. . Missouri even after their inability to beat Kansas this year would be a nightmare for Duke.

My sleeper team to do some damage and possibly get to the Final 4 is Washington. This is a much better team now than when Duke beat them in the Garden.

P.S. I am surprised that no one has mentioned Murray State as a potential team to get to the Final 4

nocilla
02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Seems like a crap shoot at this point but I'll give a guess anyway.

I'll take Duke, Louisville, UNC, and Michigan. With Duke beating Louisville for the Championship.

loldevilz
02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Syracuse, Wichita State, Michigan State, UNC

Syracuse wins it all

OldPhiKap
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
With Duke beating Louisville for the Championship.

That would almost balance one of the worst nights I can recall.

Almost.

But I'm willing to give it a shot!

Indoor66
02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
That would almost balance one of the worst nights I can recall.

Almost.

But I'm willing to give it a shot!

Yeah. Imagine, getting Louisville and another knife in Pitino.

Azdukefan
02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
In order of the best odds to win it all.........(IMO)

1. Kentucky
2. UNC
3. Marquette (toughest team in the country)
4. Kansas

I'd love to put us in that group I'm just not sure we are quite there. But I didn't think we had a shot in 2010 and would love to be wrong again.

superdave
03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Rick (Phoenix)

Who are in your Final Four?

Chad Ford
(2:00 PM)

Kentucky, Missouri, UNC and Vanderbilt. I have UNC-Kentucky in the title game and have Kentucky winning it all.

sagegrouse
03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Rick (Phoenix)

Who are in your Final Four?

Chad Ford
(2:00 PM)

Kentucky, Missouri, UNC and Vanderbilt. I have UNC-Kentucky in the title game and have Kentucky winning it all.

I have heard a lot of self-styled experts pick Vandy to go the FF and maybe even win there. I suspect that kind of talk will cause the 'Dores to lose to Tommy and the Crimson.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Kentucky, Syracuse, unc & Duke

Duke wins
I'm replacing Syracuse with FSU, and that's an honest opinion. In my bracket I submitted, I have 3 ACC teams, and unc ain't one of them. I advanced the Wuffies, they might as well be my surprise upset.

Kfanarmy
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
my picks, before the loss of MELO at Syracuse: MSU, UNC, FSU and DUKE....winner of course: Duke

superdave
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
In my office pool I went with UK, OSU, Kansas and Florida. I have Kentucky winning it all in spite of Kedsy's repeated warnings. If UK does not win, I feel like Ohio State has a very, very good shot.

Although, I do hold out hope that Andre gets hot not this weekend but next and shoots us into the Final Four. We go from good to great when Andre is hottttt.

superdave
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm replacing Syracuse with FSU, and that's an honest opinion. In my bracket I submitted, I have 3 ACC teams, and unc ain't one of them. I advanced the Wuffies, they might as well be my surprise upset.

Two people in my office pool have NSCU in the Final Four. That's a limb too flimsy for me!

MCFinARL
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
In my office pool I went with UK, OSU, Kansas and Florida. I have Kentucky winning it all in spite of Kedsy's repeated warnings. If UK does not win, I feel like Ohio State has a very, very good shot.

Although, I do hold out hope that Andre gets hot not this weekend but next and shoots us into the Final Four. We go from good to great when Andre is hottttt.

Yes, but if he doesn't get hot this weekend, I think there is a chance he won't play much next weekend, alas.

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 03:48 PM

I agree that we need to time our hot-ness so we don't waste it. Let's just get through this weekend shooting okay, then save up our threes for next weekend 8-)

JNort
03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Forgot to post but i made 2 brackets.

1st Bracket:

UK
Mich St.
Fl St.
Kansas

Uk over Kansas 77-68

2nd Bracket:

Uk
Missouri