PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Wake Forest Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Duke heads to Winston-Salem to take on Wake Forest in the last road game of the season. Tip-off is set for 9 pm on Tuesday. Discuss the game here.

fisheyes
02-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Trap game #2 but this time with more rest.

Wake put a hurt on BC at home and might have delusions of grandeur. I hope that our guys come out smoking on O and put Wake's dreams on hold for another year.

Go Duke!!!

delfrio
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
This is definitely at 9, right? DBR has 7pm listed on the home page.

luman50
02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
ESPN has the game listed at 9:00 Eastern

Jbsherr DUKE!
02-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Guys call me crazy but my phone ( downloaded schedule) says Tuesday @ 9 but my cousin is going and it's Wednesday @ 9. I argued with her until see showed me the ticket.

I'm going crazy!! I was talking to my cousin and see was confused, had me confused. I'm sorry! It is @ 9 though.

gep
02-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Wake put a hurt on BC at home and might have delusions of grandeur. I hope that our guys come out smoking on O and put Wake's dreams on hold for another year.

Go Duke!!!

Hopefully... being a road game... big WIN for DUKE:cool:

kinghoops
02-26-2012, 11:07 PM
guys call me crazy but my phone ( downloaded schedule) says tuesday @ 9 but my cousin is going and it's wednesday @ 9. I argued with her until see showed me the ticket.

I'm going crazy!! I was talking to my cousin and see was confused, had me confused. I'm sorry! It is @ 9 though.

i just bought tickets and it is on tuesday feb 28th

kinghoops
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Hopefully... being a road game... big WIN for DUKE:cool:

not a bad accomplishment at all (8-0) conference road record with a win. just hope the guys get some rest and arent looking too far ahead (sat nite)!

Jbsherr DUKE!
02-27-2012, 05:56 AM
i just bought tickets and it is on tuesday feb 28th

kinghoops thanks for clearing that up. I never actually saw the ticket, she finally got so aggravated at me she threatened to go her ticket and I told her it wasent necessary. Lol. On another note huge game. They need to come out early and put Wake away.

lotusland
02-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Unlike several of our ESPNU games the Wake game is scheduled to be streamed on ESPN3

moonpie23
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-Yj6ZL9qE

i love me some castle....

DoubleDuke Dad
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Go Duke!!!

After reading some of the comments here, one would think that the ACC regular season consists of a home and home series with UNC along with 14 trap games.:D

Kedsy
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
After reading some of the comments here, one would think that the ACC regular season consists of a home and home series with UNC along with 14 trap games.:D

You mean it doesn't?

roywhite
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Wake is now 4-10 in the conference, ahead of Boston College and Georgia Tech, and even with VaTech.
IMO they are now playing better than BC and GaTech, but really not on a level with the Hokies; many of Wake's losses have been lopsided.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I really don't hear much from the Wake fans; they are certainly not beating their chests, but for the most part not calling for Bzdelik's head.
He seems to have weeded out a few bad apples, improved team play somewhat, and has a pretty decent class coming in next year.

I don't think this game will be close; the Devils have some goals in sight, and want to take care of business before Saturday's fun.
I'm curious to see how Mason does in this game; Wake doesn't have a lot of inside muscle, but they are long.

mgtr
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm curious to see how Mason does in this game; Wake doesn't have a lot of inside muscle, but they are long.

Isn't this a good description of Mason (and Ryan, for that matter)? Long, but no inside muscle. Miles and Josh are a different story.

jv001
02-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Wake is now 4-10 in the conference, ahead of Boston College and Georgia Tech, and even with VaTech.
IMO they are now playing better than BC and GaTech, but really not on a level with the Hokies; many of Wake's losses have been lopsided.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I really don't hear much from the Wake fans; they are certainly not beating their chests, but for the most part not calling for Bzdelik's head.
He seems to have weeded out a few bad apples, improved team play somewhat, and has a pretty decent class coming in next year.

I don't think this game will be close; the Devils have some goals in sight, and want to take care of business before Saturday's fun.

This is what I'm looking for against Wake. Mason has a chance to get back on track against a decent but not great frontline. Ty Walker is a 7 footer that can block shots. Look for Mason to get him into foul trouble. I also live in Winston Salem and many of my church friends are Wake fans and most aren't impressed with Bzdelik. But I think he's done an ok job this year. And as roywhite said, he has a decent recruiting class for next year. GoDuke!

Kedsy
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
In the Josh concussion vigil, someone posted a link that says Josh won't be playing tomorrow. Apparently Coach K said Michael may get some minutes at the "4" in Josh's place. It will be good to see Michael get some run and see how much he's improved over the past few weeks.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
In the Josh concussion vigil, someone posted a link that says Josh won't be playing tomorrow. Apparently Coach K said Michael may get some minutes at the "4" in Josh's place. It will be good to see Michael get some run and see how much he's improved over the past few weeks.

I certainly hope Josh recovers fully, but as far as injuries go, this may be somewhat of a blessing. Wake is terrible, and if we come out with any energy and attentiveness whatsoever, we should win easily. As we know concussions can be a pernicious and "coisa ruim" (hard to translate, but roughly "bad thing"). I'd much rather have a fully rested and recovered Josh vs UNC than rush him out there to maybe aggravate the concussion vs Wake. Plus, getting (shh)G more minutes in a situation where he can learn and gain confidence can only be a good thing. We may need both (shh)G and Josh vs UNC, so i hope that Josh's situation can turn into something positive for the team....

roywhite
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Coach K on the road against Wake Forest? 15-14...yikes.

No doubt Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress had something to do with that, but there have been some very tough and physical games against the Deacs over the years.

ncexnyc
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
So is the Wake crowd halfway decent or should I not bother to wear my Duke gear, especially since I'm bringing my wife and 6 year old with me.

roywhite
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
So is the Wake crowd halfway decent or should I not bother to wear my Duke gear, especially since I'm bringing my wife and 6 year old with me.

No problem. The Deac fans aren't known for their hostility, and there will be plenty of Duke fans there.

Bob Green
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Vegas has Duke as a 13.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 144.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

So we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 79-65. The game notes and full game notes are up at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205388057&DB_OEM_ID=4200
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/828618.pdf?ATCLID=205388057&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

moonpie23
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
josh is out...

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/dukes-hairston-will-not-play-in-tuesdays-game-vs-wake-forest

jv001
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Vegas has Duke as a 13.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 144.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

So we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 79-65. The game notes and full game notes are up at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205388057&DB_OEM_ID=4200
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/828618.pdf?ATCLID=205388057&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob I don't know about those odds. Vegas had us 13 point favorites over VT Saturday and it took us OT to win. But Wake is not as good as VT imho. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I assume that last time that we were 8-0 in road conference games was back in 1999? That is one hell of an accomplishment. These kids have a giant chip on their shoulder. Give them a hostile environment and they know exactly what to do with it.

Awesome....

Bob Green
02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
I assume that last time that we were 8-0 in road conference games was back in 1999?

We were 8-0 in road conference games in 2000.

ghstuddachamps1
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Let's be honest... this is the ULTIMATE trap game. I really hope Coach K beats this into the guy's heads because wake forest is coming off a blowout win against Boston College, don't want anything dramatic to happen here. Also, this is a very important game for Mason. Just watching him play you see he has lost a lot of confidence in his offensive game. This is his opportunity to get out of his scoring slump and put up some points, we are going to need it against carolina and we are going to need it in the tournament! Please Mason, go back to those beautiful jump hooks you were doing all season! That's your go to move that I haven't seen in a month!

MCFinARL
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Let's be honest... this is the ULTIMATE trap game. I really hope Coach K beats this into the guy's heads because wake forest is coming off a blowout win against Boston College, don't want anything dramatic to happen here. Also, this is a very important game for Mason. Just watching him play you see he has lost a lot of confidence in his offensive game. This is his opportunity to get out of his scoring slump and put up some points, we are going to need it against carolina and we are going to need it in the tournament! Please Mason, go back to those beautiful jump hooks you were doing all season! That's your go to move that I haven't seen in a month!

Good thing we are playing on the road, since we seem to have more trouble with trap games at home. :confused::D

gumbomoop
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Bump to front page. What does it say that this thread has had so few posts, only a couple today? [That's a rhetorical question; ignore it; I'll answer it.] It means we're taking it for granted. I know I am, but I'm not exactly proud of it. What's your excuse? [Again, rhetorical; pay it no mind.]

Fortunately the team is taking nothing for granted, and undoubtedly has been talking all day about how spoiled EK posters are.

Sure hope Ole Miss-Ark goes 3 OTs, so we can miss the first half.....

Go Mason and Andre, get those bounds, Miles. The rest of you, play good.

riverside6
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10590

gumbomoop
02-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Indiana beats Mich St pretty convincingly. Maybe Mich St still gets 1-seed, not sure.

Beat Wake.

DevilWearsPrada
02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Would someone please post a link to watch the game online, please. I do Not have ESPNU. Thank you so much!

Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke!!! Beat the Deacons!

GTHC!

Bob Green
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Would someone please post a link to watch the game online, please.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/392043/

trinity79
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
how Silent G does with significant minutes?

jv001
02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Bump to front page. What does it say that this thread has had so few posts, only a couple today? [That's a rhetorical question; ignore it; I'll answer it.] It means we're taking it for granted. I know I am, but I'm not exactly proud of it. What's your excuse? [Again, rhetorical; pay it no mind.]

Fortunately the team is taking nothing for granted, and undoubtedly has been talking all day about how spoiled EK posters are.

Sure hope Ole Miss-Ark goes 3 OTs, so we can miss the first half.....

Go Mason and Andre, get those bounds, Miles. The rest of you, play good.

You might get your wish as it's a 1 pt game right now. GoDuke!

HateCarolina
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
This can't be happening with Arkansas and ole miss...oh wait this happens everytime we're on the 9 pm game.

trinity79
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Bang

HateCarolina
02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Espn3 to the rescue....

Cameron
02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Apparently Gene Wojciehowski got it wrong. The Last Great Game is being played tonight on ESPN between Arkansas and Ole Miss. Oh my God.

HateCarolina
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Enough already espnu....go to duke v wake.

Cameron
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Why is Dari Noka (sp?) still talking?

trinity79
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
we r cold

HateCarolina
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Curry's looking good. Mason seems to be playing like Miles from earlier in the season.

On a related note is the crowd noise completely muted. I feel like we're watching a practice session.

FerryFor50
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I wish Ryan Kelly could play against Wake Forest every game...

HateCarolina
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
we r cold

Heat is officially back on. ; )

NYBri
02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Can't seem to put the game away...up by 11 and on a run...cut to 4.

DukieInBrasil
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
MP2 is now at 50% FT for the season. Congratulations big guy!!!

lotusland
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
We must be a good defensive team since we held Wake to 28 in the first half and according to JWill they are apt to shred you apart;)

lotusland
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
MP2 is now at 50% FT for the season. Congratulations big guy!!!

Congratulations for 50% FT shooting seems wrong but I agree

davekay1971
02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm definitely getting the feeling that, deep down inside, our guys know that Wake probably doesn't require their best effort. We have a smart group of guys on this team. No matter how much they may try to convince themselves that Wake has a chance in this game, some part of the brain has got to be saying, "This ain't a good team, just get the job done and start preparing for the regular season championship game against Carolina." I know they're going to try to abide by K's credo that every opponent deserves your best effort, every time out...but it's got to be hard to really feel that against a team and crowd as dispirited as Wake.

moonpie23
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
i'm still nervous about this......we've tightened up the ship, but they have to make sure no one on wake gets hot......

gotta stay tough

sagegrouse
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Did the announcer say, "Duke is going for only the third undefeated ACC road record in Duke history?" Or did he say, "Only the third 8-0 road ACC record in Duke history?" The second, kinda irrelevant, is correct. The former is wrong. Duke was 14-0 in conference in Art Heyman's senior year, which is 7-0 on the road.

sage

arnie
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Congratulations for 50% FT shooting seems wrong but I agree

Hey, don't diss his FT shooting - lately that's bout the only scoring he's had. The ole Shav pump fake move isn't working.

Bluedog
02-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Did the announcer say, "Duke is going for only the third undefeated ACC road record in Duke history?" Or did he say, "Only the third 8-0 road ACC record in Duke history?" The second, kinda irrelevant, is correct. The former is wrong. Duke was 14-0 in conference in Art Heyman's senior year, which is 7-0 on the road.

sage

I think Jay said the former at first, but then a bit later they showed the graphic with the three other seasons to indicate it would be the fourth time Duke has done it.

Utley
02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
From his first shot on Kelly has an extra umph to his game I have seen since Novemberish.

lotusland
02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
From his first shot on Kelly has an extra umph to his game I have seen since Novemberish.

Must be the caffiene. He actually ripped a rebound away from Rivers.

sagegrouse
02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
One of the fingernail-biting problems with the 2012 Devils is that so many different players can take the lead. Thus, when the team is down, there is no JJ or Nolan to turn to -- it could be anybody -- or nobody. This is one of the reasons that every game is pretty scary.

sagegrouse

Son of Mojo
02-28-2012, 10:36 PM
How does the nba continuation on fouls continue to be allowed???

Furniture
02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Boring game...

Son of Mojo
02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
It's not so boring now...........what's going on out there???

jipops
02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow, we are choking this one away.

FerryFor50
02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow, we are choking this one away.

Yea, totally choking it away when we're still up by 9. :rolleyes:

Anyone worried about Duke losing this game needs to find something else to do tonight. :cool:

RoyalBlue08
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
The wake forest strategy of trying to put Duke to sleep over the first 30 mins may be starting to pay off.

RockyMtDevil
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Um, has Wake run off a 19-2 run against anyone this year...looks like we fell asleep for a few minutes. Should be fine.

ChrisP
02-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Our bad defense seems to be leading to bad offense :(

I have to say, we really seemed to let off the gas a few minutes back and Wake, being WAY behind, was able to play loose and hit some shots. Then, we started getting tight - doesn't look like guys are shooting it confidently at all. Glad to see Mason with the big 3 point play though. I have to agree with JWill though - he charged on that play. But, before that, the refs were letting Wake get away with LOTS of contact and no calls so I guess it evens out.

davekay1971
02-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Jay Williams not having his best night...but the play-by-play guy is absolutely atrocious. He can't get off his talking points of plugging the Duke-UNC game long enough to accurately call the game in front of him.

wavedukefan70s
02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Did chennault swing at mason ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeLFkJ--J04&feature=youtu.be

BlueandWhite
02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Lackadasical, lousy defensive effort, poor movement on offense, a dumb turnover...what a lovely few minutes of basketball. Coach K should be ticked.

Why did Kelly take that long jumper after the offensive rebound - dumb play. So we'll probably hang on to win now, but what a bad ending by letting Wake back in...

FerryFor50
02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Did chennault swing at mason ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeLFkJ--J04&feature=youtu.be

Looks like it. He's done several punk things in this game.

jipops
02-28-2012, 10:54 PM
With 10 minutes left we had 61 points on the board. Now with 48 seconds left there are 72. This has been some of the worst offense we've seen from Duke this year.

ok, Curry just hit 2 fts. I actually can't fault the defense in this one. The offense has been pretty bad, sloppy, turnover prone, guys are out of position. Not comforting at all.

NYBri
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Twice we got long rebounds and put it right back up instead of kicking out and use clock. Just not thinking.

davekay1971
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Twice we got long rebounds and put it right back up instead of kicking out and use clock. Just not thinking.

I was really surprised to see Kelly do that. He's typically a very heady player, but that quick shot after Miles got the offensive rebound was uncharacteristic.

mndukie
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Yeah, I believe it was Curry driving against 2 Deacons earlier which left me scratching my head....it's not like this is a super young team, you'd hope they'd know better.

Granted there was a pretty bad stretch but we did play pretty well to build that 23 point lead.

davekay1971
02-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I believe it was Curry driving against 2 Deacons earlier which left me scratching my head....it's not like this is a super young team, you'd hope they'd know better.

Granted there was a pretty bad stretch but we did play pretty well to build that 23 point lead.

The opening 10 minutes of the 2nd half was the only time tonight the team looked they like were really locked in. Then they looked like they just kind of fell asleep. Glad they woke up in time to finish the job.