PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Reggie Johnson Ineligible??

duke4ever19
02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7618376/reggie-johnson-miami-hurricanes-ineligible-due-family-receiving-benefits

Tough break for the Reggie and the Hurricanes. They can probably kiss that tournament bid goodbye.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow. I was all excited to watch the game in 8 minutes, this puts a damper on that.

sporthenry
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Does this mean Duke is leading the ACC now?

slower
02-26-2012, 06:15 PM

How freaking hilarious would it be for Duke to win the regular-season title because of Miami forfeiting? I SO much want this to happen. Tarhole Apocalypse!!!!!!

duke4ever19
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM

I'm assuming you mean that the win may end up being vacated? Dunno, but per several articles, the coaching staff is pushing the NCAA to get him reinstated before their next game. He's riding the pine vs. Fl State at present.

The question is how quickly does the NCAA move to vacate wins?

uh_no
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
How freaking hilarious would it be for Duke to win the regular-season title because of Miami forfeiting? I SO much want this to happen. Tarhole Apocalypse!!!!!!

Our record would still show the loss. Vacated a win does not imply the loser gets to count the win....they still lost the game....just that the winning team doesn't get to count it.

slower
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Our record would still show the loss. Vacated a win does not imply the loser gets to count the win....they still lost the game....just that the winning team doesn't get to count it.

It would still be worth the momentary chaos in Holeville. :)

uh_no
02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
It would still be worth the momentary chaos in Holeville. :)

or we could just beat them next week!

sagegrouse
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Up by 12 with 11 minutes remaining, after trailing 18-12 in the first half. This is with Reggie Johnson sitting comfortably ont he bench.

Worth tuning in because this game means a lot to Duke, FSU and Miami.

sagegrouse

hurleyfor3
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Unless Miami declares all their previous wins to be forfeits. The opponent *does* get those wins.

loran16
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Up by 12 with 11 minutes remaining, after trailing 18-12 in the first half. This is with Reggie Johnson sitting comfortably ont he bench.

Worth tuning in because this game means a lot to Duke, FSU and Miami.

sagegrouse

Eh, not really. Unless UNC somehow loses to Maryland at UNC, It'll be Duke-UNC for the Conference Regular Season "Title" and Tourney #1 seed. And unless FSU collapses and loses to both UVA and Clemson, they'll still be the 3 seed in the tourney regardless.

It's a game that helps Miami's tourney hopes, but does nothing else.

sagegrouse
02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Despite some apathy on this thread towards this game, Miami is beating FSU by 14 with 4 minutes left. Doubt that FSU has the offense to come back. And this is without Reggie Johnson playing.

sage

dukelifer
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Despite some apathy on this thread towards this game, Miami is beating FSU by 14 with 4 minutes left. Doubt that FSU has the offense to come back. And this is without Reggie Johnson playing.

sage
Doing their best to blow the lead- down to 9 with 3 to go. Missing free throws FSU making threes. Make that 8 with 2:49. Lead evaporating. Classic way to blow it.

dukelifer
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Doing their best to blow the lead- down to 9 with 3 to go. Missing free throws FSU making threes. Make that 8 with 2:49. Lead evaporating. Classic way to blow it.

Finally, Miami made some throws and FSU missed.

uh_no
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Unless Miami declares all their previous wins to be forfeits. The opponent *does* get those wins.

Is there any precedent for a school doing that?

roywhite
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM

sage

FSU reaches a milestone of sorts for their program. The fans of an opposing team rush the court after beating the Seminoles.

miramar
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
It's unfortunate that he wasn't declared ineligible before the Duke game.

UrinalCake
02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Eh, not really. Unless UNC somehow loses to Maryland at UNC, It'll be Duke-UNC for the Conference Regular Season "Title" and Tourney #1 seed. And unless FSU collapses and loses to both UVA and Clemson, they'll still be the 3 seed in the tourney regardless.

Since Duke and UNC play each other, one of the two will take on one more loss. If that team also loses another game while FSU wins out, then FSU would be the 2 seed.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter now that FSU lost.

Greg_Newton
02-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Since Duke and UNC play each other, one of the two will take on one more loss. If that team also loses another game while FSU wins out, then FSU would be the 2 seed.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter now that FSU lost.

It would have meant something if UNC lost at home to Maryland or we lose this Tuesday at Wake, true... but even in that unlikely scenario, there's really no difference between the 2 seed and the 3 seed, practically.

The loss probably hurts our computer rankings a little, but Miami has easily been our worst loss. They're on the inside track to the tournament now, which means we could have zero losses to non-tourney teams unless we lose to Wake or in our first game of the ACCT.

UrinalCake
02-26-2012, 10:35 PM
The loss probably hurts our computer rankings a little, but Miami has easily been our worst loss. They're on the inside track to the tournament now, which means we could have zero losses to non-tourney teams unless we lose to Wake or in our first game of the ACCT.

Serious question here... how does it hurt our computer rankings? We've lost to both teams. Is it because we played FSU twice? I often hear the debate of "good wins" versus "bad losses" and it seems like this game makes our win over FSU not-quite-as-good but our loss to Miami not-quite-as-bad.

Olympic Fan
02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Guys, all the talk in this thread about Miami vacating or forfeiting wins in silly. It's not not going to happen.

Still early, but the best guess is that Johnson will soon be re-instated by the NCAA. He MAY miss one or two more games, but that's probably vgoing to be it.

As for the ACC regular season standings -- Miami's big win without Johnson almost certainly guarantees that FSU gets the third seed.

Almost certainly the Duke-UNC winner gets the No. 1 seed and the loser gets the No. 2 seed. The only way this doesn't happen is if UNC loses at home to Maryland and/or Duke loses at Wake. For unlikely but possible scenarios:

-- IF Duke beats Wake and UNC loses to Maryland, then Duke clinches the top seed in the tournament AND a share of the ACC regular season title before the UNC game.

-- If Duke loses to Wake and Carolina and FSU wins out, then Duke could be the No. 3 seed. If UNC loses to Maryland and Duke and FSU wins out, then UNC is the No. 3 seed.

I don't think any of those things are likely. In fact, I think it's more linely that FSU loses at Virginia Thursday ... I was just checking -- Virginia could beat FSU and win at Maryland to get to 10-6, while FSU could lose at Virginia and home to Clemson (not likely) to also finish 10-6. But even if that happens, FSU gets the No. 3 seed via the tiebreaker (they are 1-1 head-to-head, but FSU beat Duke/UNC which will finish 1/2 and Virginia was 0-1 against both).

Hmm, I guess Miami could also finish 10-6 (if they win at NC State and at home vs. BC). They also split head-to-head with FSU, so their tiebreaker would come down to whether Duke (whioch Miami is 1-0; FSU 1-1) or UNC (FSU is 1-0; Miami 0-2) finishes No. 1.

Obviously, a lot of possibilities. But realistically, the most likely scenario is: the Duke-UNC winner is the No. 1 seed; the Duke-UNC loser is the No. 2 seed; FSU is the No. 3 seed. I think Miami has the slightly easier finish in the battle for fourth place, but Virginia has the head-to-head tiebreaker if they and Miami tie.

UrinalCake
02-27-2012, 12:05 AM
If Duke loses to Wake and Carolina and FSU wins out, then Duke could be the No. 3 seed.

Now that this thread has been thoroughly derailed, allow me the mental exercise... if Duke loses their next two while FSU wins out, then both Duke and FSU have four losses. They split their head-to-head games. Duke would be 1-1 against UNC while FSU would be 1-0, so wouldn't that guarantee that FSU would get the 2 seed?

If all goes to plan in the ACC tournament then there's not much difference between the 2 and 3 seeds. But getting that 1 seed is big because you won't have to play either of the other two teams until the final. Beating FSU on saturday and UNC on sunday would be pretty tough.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
as much as i feel for NCSU and their recent collapse, i'd rather see Miami win both of their remaining games and solidify their claim for an at-large bid. Now, does Reggie's return make that more or less likely? Given their convincing beatdown of FSU, they might not need him to return to win those 2 games. Looks like Kadji has gained enough confidence and experience from RJ's presence to make him a superior player to what he was in RJs absence earlier this year, which bodes well for them in RJs absence, however long that might be.
Though he didn't get much PT the other (seldom-used) post-player, Akpejiori (sp?) could be an important contributor, though he didn't score and managed 4/3 reb/Oboards in only 9 minutes vs FSU.