View Full Version : USA Loses to Uruguay in Pan Am 81-72

ACCBBallFan
07-26-2007, 01:06 AM
USA Loses to Uruguay in Pan Am 81-72

3 for 21 from 3 land

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2007/07_mpag_stats/07_mpag_box_04.pdf

mgtr
07-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Uruguay? Uruguay? Thats pitiful. Who chose this team? Who is the coach? They should not be allowed back into the country. What possible excuse can they make? The USA team better sit up and take notice.

Bob Green
07-26-2007, 02:04 AM
3 - 21 from behind the 3-point arc? And this team cut Chris Lofton. It just doesn't add up. However, one note, even though the USA was 5 - 0 lifetime against Uruguay in the Pan Am Games, the previous two wins were very close games: a 2 point squeaker (74-72 in 2003) and an overtime victory.

A-Tex Devil
07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Do they other countries send their best teams to the Pan-Am games or similar U-21 type teams? If this was Uruguay's A team, I'll understand to some extent. If it wasn't, well, US basketball is in even more trouble than I had originally thought.

Still, I'm beginning to come to the realization that the game is officiated and played so differently at the international level (comfort with trapezoidal lanes, goal tending rules) that it may just be we are playing a different game altogether -- kinda like the differences in two rugby leagues in England and the one in Ireland.

It would also explain why a guy like Spanoulis (and others) can KILL us in the World Championships and can't get off the bench in the NBA.

The NBA should either adjust to FIBA rules or we can just accept that our guys are superior under NBA rules, but not FIBA rules.

sandinmyshoes
07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Doesn't look like Ellington had a very good game at all. That may be a good thing for Duke. Maybe he still hasn't developed the toughness he needs. Or maybe it just means he's less likely to go pro after this year like some have suggested.

crimsonandblue
07-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Scottie Reynolds with a nice game. He hit the other team (9 TOs) more than he hit the goal. Nice job by Jay Wright choosing and then sticking with his boy. Neitzel and Reynolds together is a pretty odd combo.

gw67
07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Looking at the stats, USA outrebounded Uruguay, both teams had a bunch of turnovers, free throws were even and Uruguay did not win by raining 3-pointers. Our perimeter players shot miserably, 9-36, but the inside players shot well, 17-27. The tandems of White/Gist and Hibbert/Leunen appear to be doing the job and Neitzel, while he didn't shoot well, had five assists to one turnover. Reynolds/Ellington/Maynor and Weaver/Foster did not have good games (6-27 shooting and 5 assists to 16 turnovers). The perimeter players need to bounce back big time.

gw67

greybeard
07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
I ain't even gonna say it.

Now that I didn't, you know say the word, let me rant a bit about the game. We invented the game, we made it huge, right behind you know what. How come when we play other countries we allow them to change the rules and the court. It's our g-d damn game ain't it!

Seriously, I think that the game because of the different geometry of the lane and different rules is very, very different than the one these guys have grown up with. The bigs need to adjust because they start from farther out, but the adjustment is relatively minor--if you turn and shoot you just have to get used to a slightly different distance and some slightly different angles. Otherwise, the size of the lane just gives you more space.

The littles, it is an entirely different game.

I vote that the US hold out at least for how they do it in the World Series.

Hopefully, the years of experience K is giving the older guys with the different game will begin to equalize things. When it does, the US will win, even though only some of its players like Kobe have actually grown up . . . .

grey "I-never-miss-an-opportunity-to-make-my-same-old-but-important-points" beard

mgtr
07-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I googled Pan Am Basketball, and read that Jay Wright did not pick the team, it was voted on by a committee. I wonder why Wright would go for this -- a built-in excuse? I don't see K accepting such a strategy.

dukemomLA
07-27-2007, 02:32 AM
What's up with this???!!!??? There is some serious work needed with USA/NBA/NCAA Basketball. Let's figure a way that us fans can rectify this situation. Enough is enough. Good gracious. (...only using such terms 'cause what I'd like to say would be deleted). F--K.

mcdukie
07-27-2007, 06:58 AM
The reality is that we are playing totally different types of basketball. We did invent the game, but now we play under there rules.