PDA

View Full Version : Great Kyrie Irving Article

BattierD12
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/kyrieirving_120224/nba-father-laid-plan-kyrie-irving-followed-it

On ESPN's NBA home page.

LSanders
02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Drederick sounds like a great dad!!

AsiaMinor
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
well that brought me to tears for sure. God Bless the Irvings, and all the best for Kyrie (tho in my heart of hearts I wish he was on this team still.)

DesertDevil
02-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Wow, that was a great article! Dred definitely raised both his kids with their priorities intact. Had no idea about his connection with 9/11.

Newton_14
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Kyrie went 8 for 8 from deep in winning the MVP in the All Star Rookie game tonight. He and Wall were paired in the same backcourt. They dominated.

Congrats to Kyrie. Wow did we ever miss out on greatness with this kid. At least we had him for 11 games. What a player!

gep
02-24-2012, 11:39 PM
I've read about Kyrie's father and 9/11 in the past. Reading about it again... I can't begin to imagine his feelings walking 9 miles to get to his kids... especially without his wife/their mother. I think back to when my kids were that age... no more words can express. Kyrie and his family are definitely blessed... with a GREAT father.

roywhite
02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Kyrie went 8 for 8 from deep in winning the MVP in the All Star Rookie game tonight. He and Wall were paired in the same backcourt. They dominated.

Congrats to Kyrie. Wow did we ever miss out on greatness with this kid. At least we had him for 11 games. What a player!

He could turn out to be the best active ACC pro in the NBA, yet never played in a single ACC game.
Great to see him have success, but still sad to think we never saw him in a Duke--UNC game, for example.

JNort
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
He could turn out to be the best active ACC pro in the NBA, yet never played in a single ACC game.
Great to see him have success, but still sad to think we never saw him in a Duke--UNC game, for example.

Uhhh.... Bosh? Duncan? Chris Paul? Duncan is old yes but is still active so his career should still count. Bosh is a top 3 or 4 guy at his position and Chris Paul is the best at his position IMO.

Newton_14
02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Uhhh.... Bosh? Duncan? Chris Paul? Duncan is old yes but is still active so his career should still count. Bosh is a top 3 or 4 guy at his position and Chris Paul is the best at his position IMO.

I would not bet against Kyrie bypassing those guys. He is not there yet for certain, but the guy is a special talent. How good would he be right now had the injury not happened, and he had played a full season of college ball, as well as being able to work out all summer fully healthy? What he has accomplished given all the circumstances is amazing if you think about it.

JNort
02-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I would not bet against Kyrie bypassing those guys. He is not there yet for certain, but the guy is a special talent. How good would he be right now had the injury not happened, and he had played a full season of college ball, as well as being able to work out all summer fully healthy? What he has accomplished given all the circumstances is amazing if you think about it.

I would bet against it because the odds would weigh in my favor. I see where you are coming from but I do not think his results would be drastically different had the injury not occurred. I will with hold judgement on where he stands until after year two in the NBA but for now I do not see him passing Chris Paul, let alone Bosh and Duncan. PG in the NBA is so stacked right now especially with young talent that it will be hard for him to take control of the reigns as the best pg in league.

BTW I think he could become the best IF:

1. He stays healthy.
2. He improves at the rate he is already on for another few years.
3. The Cavs build around him appropriately

davekay1971
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
No matter where Irving ends up on someone's highly subjective ranking of top players in the NBA, the kid is amazing. I'm with everyone else that it would have been wonderful to see him for a complete season at Duke, even better for 2 complete seasons (Tarheel fans wake up at night screaming at the thought of Irving running the point on this year's team). Sometimes life gives you a brief, tantalizing, beautiful glimpse at something amazing, then takes it away. Irving's 11 game stint at Duke was that for Blue Devil fans. But now, we get to enjoy watching him grow into a star in the NBA. For me, there will always be a twinge of what-if when I see Kyrie play. But I'll settle for being able to claim the kid as one of our own - a supremely talented guy with work ethic, a great story, and great character.

Whether or not he becomes the best point guard in the league, I can pretty much guarantee he will become the face the league office wants to put on the NBA.

NYC Duke Fan
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
He obviously made the right decision to leave Duke albeit to the chagrin of Duke fans. Curious to see what Rivers does.