PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football 2012 Spring Practice

Bob Green
02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Spring practice starts on Wednesday with Duke returning 44 lettermen and 17 starters. Here are links to the article at GoDuke and to the Spring prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205383627&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/826260.pdf?ATCLID=205383627&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Spring is approaching and optimism is in the air!

alteran
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Spring practice starts on Wednesday with Duke returning 44 lettermen and 17 starters. Here are links to the article at GoDuke and to the Spring prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205383627&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/826260.pdf?ATCLID=205383627&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Spring is approaching and optimism is in the air!

Line that football up and let me kick away, Lucy-- I'm ready! Getting ready to re-up my season tickets.

And seriously, Bob, thanks for the links.

For those of us basketball fans who inexplicably find ourselves following Duke football these days (damn you, Coach Cut! ;)), anyone care to give us the short version on what to expect and/or hope for? Offense could be better, right (not that it was bad last year)? Is the O-line going to get even better, hold, or take a step back? How about the defense-- any bright spots there? Or hope for collective improvement? Any coaching changes on either side of the ball?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Coach Cutcliffe will be speaking at a pre-spring practice press conference today at 12:30P. Check out live coverage on goduke.com.

In answer to one of your questions, alteran, we have a new OL coach, John Latina http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22665&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205347581&Q_SEASON=2011.

The current roster plus the incoming class give us a lot to look forward to next season. Spring Scrimmage will be March 31.... :cool:

mkline09
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Any of the Spring practices open to the public?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Open practices will be announced on goduke.com.

Newton_14
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Coach Cutcliffe will be speaking at a pre-spring practice press conference today at 12:30P. Check out live coverage on goduke.com.

In answer to one of your questions, alteran, we have a new OL coach, John Latina http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22665&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205347581&Q_SEASON=2011.

The current roster plus the incoming class give us a lot to look forward to next season. Spring Scrimmage will be March 31.... :cool:

Does anyone know how many of the incoming freshman enrolled early and thus will be participating in Spring Practice? To me that is a huge benefit for the freshman not expected to redshirt. Thanks in advance...

jafarr1
02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Thomas Sirk was the only freshman to enroll early this year.

PDDuke85
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Just got off the phone with Michael in ticket office. Mrs PDDuke85 and myself are now the proud parents of our first ever football season tickets. In Cut we trust!

jimsumner
02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Some notes.

Position changes.

Two biggees. Isaac Blakeney is now a tight end and Brandon Braxton is now a safety.

Lee Butler has moved from safety to corner, Joey Finison is a center and walk-on Robert Shofner has moved from OL to NG.

Cut suggested that Blakeney might still get a look on defense. But Duke lost Helfet and Parker after last season, while Braxton Deaver and Jack Farrell are out for the spring following surgery. So, Duke has no healthy, experienced TEs. Red-shirt freshman David Reeves is the starter, with Blakeney the back-up. Two freshmen TEs arrive in the fall but Duke hopes to redshirt both.

Braxton? Cut said the move was made because Braxton had more of a chance to win a game as a safety than as a receiver. Says Braxton is enthusiastic. Loves to hit.

The receiver corps is in a bit of shambles. Vernon and Crowder will be restricted in the spring because of lingering injuries. So, lots of reps for Tyree Watkins, Corey Gattis, Blair Holliday and Nick Hill. Cut suggested that one or more of the true freshmen should be in the mix come fall.

Other injuries? Dewalt-Ondijo-out for spring. Kelby Brown-Not 100 percent. August Gamble out for spring (shoulder surgery).

Kenny Anunike should be back by fall. Duke pursuing 6th year.

Josh Snead is healthy. Cut indicated that Snead needs to understand that rehab is fulltime and needs to address the underlying problems behind his injuries.

Duke looking to have more multiple position players. We might see Connette and Boone in the backfield at the same time, forcing the defense to guess as to who's on first.

Coming in for special praise? Jamal Bruce and Dezmond Johnson. Bruce "outstanding" off-season. Johnson up to 255 but might be Duke's fastest DL. Jamal Wallace up to 270, Sarmiento at 300. Sarmiento had minor knee surgery but ready to go.

Cut wants lot of competition for PT. "After a 3-9 record, you think there would be some jobs available."

Dev11
02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Two biggees. Isaac Blakeney is now a tight end and Brandon Braxton is now a safety.

Those are both really interesting moves. Blakeney is one of the best athletes on the team but it seems like he can't figure out how to fit in with the DL. I hope his athleticism is a huge factor in switching to TE, because his size and speed could put him in the Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski mold of TEs (although he is a little smaller than those guys).

Braxton at safety is the bigger deal, I think. We lose Matt Daniels next year, who was far and away our best guy on that side of the ball, and replace him with what I think is a similar athlete. I imagine Cut sees this as filling Daniels's spot. As a now former WR, Braxton should be a little more ball-oriented than Daniels was, and this should help out Cockrell and the other CBs.

Both of these guys are big athletes, so their moves are really interesting to watch. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

DukeSean
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Josh Snead is healthy. Cut indicated that Snead needs to understand that rehab is fulltime and needs to address the underlying problems behind his injuries.

Is this a conditioning issue?

jimsumner
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Is this a conditioning issue?

Reading between the lines here. But it appears that Cut isn't completely happy with Snead's approach to rehab. My notes read "have to wipe out the defiencies that cause the injuries."

loran16
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Some notes.

Position changes.

Two biggees. Brandon Braxton is now a safety.

Lee Butler has moved from safety to corner, Joey Finison is a center and walk-on Robert Shofner has moved from OL to NG.

Cut suggested that Blakeney might still get a look on defense. But Duke lost Helfet and Parker after last season, while Braxton Deaver and Jack Farrell are out for the spring following surgery. So, Duke has no healthy, experienced TEs. Red-shirt freshman David Reeves is the starter, with Blakeney the back-up. Two freshmen TEs arrive in the fall but Duke hopes to redshirt both.

Braxton? Cut said the move was made because Braxton had more of a chance to win a game as a safety than as a receiver. Says Braxton is enthusiastic. Loves to hit.

The receiver corps is in a bit of shambles. Vernon and Crowder will be restricted in the spring because of lingering injuries. So, lots of reps for Tyree Watkins, Corey Gattis, Blair Holliday and Nick Hill. Cut suggested that one or more of the true freshmen should be in the mix come fall.

Other injuries? Dewalt-Ondijo-out for spring. Kelby Brown-Not 100 percent. August Gamble out for spring (shoulder surgery).

Oh yes, because our last WR to Defensive Back position transition worked well, huh Johnny Williams. I guess that was for a corner position but still....yuck.

jimsumner
02-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh yes, because our last WR to Defensive Back position transition worked well, huh Johnny Williams. I guess that was for a corner position but still....yuck.

Actually, Tony Foster and Josh Trezvant came later than Williams. Like Braxton, Foster and Trezvant were pretty good on special teams.

So, maybe fourth time is the charm.

Recall that Duke lost Varner to graduation. And I don't think it's unfair to suggest that Watkins and Gattis are complementary receivers at best.

So this only works if several of Holliday, Crowder, Hill, Nash and/or McCaffrey step up in a big way.

Acymetric
02-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a pile of injuries going into Spring practice...but as bummed as I was about last season I'm already getting excited about football again, can't wait to read the reports on this years practices!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Reading between the lines here. But it appears that Cut isn't completely happy with Snead's approach to rehab. My notes read "have to wipe out the defiencies that cause the injuries."
I thought Snead had turf toe - Kyrie's injury, but not as bad. How does conditioning affect turf toe? Someone who knows - please educate us!

chrishoke
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm psyched. Thanks for the updates Jim. I am shocked at the Blakeny move to offense. Before he got hurt, he was looking like a bnig time play maker on D, which we sorely need.

OldPhiKap
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the updates! Those of us away from Durham do not get the good info -- please keep it coming!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the updates! Those of us away from Durham do not get the good info -- please keep it coming!
Don't worry. I'm looking after your interests. ;)

OldPhiKap
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't worry. I'm looking after your interests. ;)

"DiBD -- accept no substitutes"

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
"DiBD -- accept no substitutes"
That's Coach's decision. I help with the scouting.;)

OldPhiKap
02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
That's Coach's decision. I help with the scouting.;)

Coach should be happy to have you in any capacity. Holding down the front line of the tailgate line is pretty big as-is.

Getting excited already!!!!

throatybeard
02-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Exactly. Like I said, I prefer getting my analysis from JimSum rather than KenPom.

Reilly
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Worth watching. Up for free at goduke:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205384093&DB_OEM_ID=4200

BluDvlsN1
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Incoming freshman

http://www.lvrj.com/view/bishop-gorman-running-back-garners-national-distinction-140679963.html

El_Diablo
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
It's a little early for full-on college football previews, but here's a short ESPN article looking at the state of Duke football and Cutcliffe's program-building focus:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/37184/duke-looking-for-more-than-bowl-game

And this one's about a week old, but offers some more tidbits, including the fact that Conner Vernon considered entering his name in the NFL draft:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/02/22/1874398/duke-determined-to-learn-from.html

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Following practice yesterday (Friday, March 2), spring break begins for students. Next session of spring practice will be March 14.

On another note, Peyton Manning may have been working out on campus yesterday and likely will be seen at tonight's basketball game with Carolina.

Haven't heard which recruits are on campus this weekend, but there are some who will be attending the basketball game.

GO DUKE!:cool:

Greg_Newton
03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Peyton definitely was on campus yesterday - they even had a little segment and video on SC last night about, which was nice.

-bdbd
03-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Peyton definitely was on campus yesterday - they even had a little segment and video on SC last night about, which was nice.

On the BB game broadcast they showed him and Coach Cut for quite a few seconds, sitting courtside, with Cut explaining something to him, and I think Bilas said he had it good authority that PM had been there for a few weeks training...

Great, great publicity for Duke FB.

:cool:

mkline09
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
On the BB game broadcast they showed him and Coach Cut for quite a few seconds, sitting courtside, with Cut explaining something to him, and I think Bilas said he had it good authority that PM had been there for a few weeks training...

Great, great publicity for Duke FB.

:cool:

I heard they left at half time which given the score could have been either a fear of some sort of jinx, but I'd prefer to think they had a busy schedule. I also heard there were some Duke FB recruits in Cameron for the game. Great publicity to have a future HOF QB in the house. Maybe he has some words of encouragement for our QBs. How awesome it must be for Thomas Sirk who enrolls early and gets to see Peyton Manning work out at your school.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I heard they left at half time which given the score could have been either a fear of some sort of jinx, but I'd prefer to think they had a busy schedule. I also heard there were some Duke FB recruits in Cameron for the game. Great publicity to have a future HOF QB in the house. Maybe he has some words of encouragement for our QBs. How awesome it must be for Thomas Sirk who enrolls early and gets to see Peyton Manning work out at your school.
Peyton did not return after the half, but Coach Cutcliffe did. The seat beside him on his left was filled by someone else for the second half. I think Heath Shuler was the guy on Coach's right.

There were several football recruits in the very back of the bleachers behind the Duke bench. Coach Knowles, Coach Lubick and Coach Latina accompanied the them.

pbc2
03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Duke WR Conner Vernon returned to practice with the rest of the team this week and spoke with BDN after: http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/03/two-time-all-acc-wr-conner-vernon-checks-in-with-bdn/

wilko
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I wish Peyton well on his re-hab and return to the NFL. Nothing but respect and love.
But should the day come where Cut hires him as an OC for Duke..... oh mama!
That day cannot come fast enough.

westwall
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Actually, Peyton did return during the 2nd half, but he sat in a different seat, second row of Sec. AA.

Bob Green
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Second spring scrimmage report:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205403142&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Renfree was 14-17 with 3 TDs. I don't know whether to be excited Sean is clicking or worried our defense is porous. You can't win in a scrimmage. ;)

EDIT: Highlights (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=856916&ATCLID=205403142&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks Bob! Nice to see that Josh Snead is playing this spring! I just learned 2 weeks ago that his aunt is a neighbor of mine! She's a carolina fan. ugh.

Acymetric
03-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks Bob! Nice to see that Josh Snead is playing this spring! I just learned 2 weeks ago that his aunt is a neighbor of mine! She's a carolina fan. ugh.

Surely she pulls for her nephew in football!

pbc2
03-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Here's a preview of Saturday's Spring Game: http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/03/bdn-football-friday-spring-game-preview/

There's also a little from Juwan Thompson in this week's GoDuke Weekly.

Parking Info:
On Saturday, March 31st Duke Football will host their annual Spring Football Game in Wallace Wade Stadium at 1:00 PM. Parking for the spring game will be free of charge and available on a first come, first serve basis around the stadium in the Whitford Drive Lot, Card Gym Lot, and Bassett Drive/Grounds Lot. If parking volume dictates, the 751 Lot will be opened as well.

Parking for persons with disabilities is available in the marked spots in Whitford Drive, Card Gym, and Bassett Drive/Grounds Lot. Accessible drop-off and pick-up points are available on Whitford Drive and Bassett Drive outside the West Gate of the Stadium. In addition, a six passenger shuttle for persons with mobility impairments will be available from each lot to the disability seating sections in Wallace Wade Stadium. If you need assistance in finding a six passenger shuttle – please contact an event staff member at the disability seating sections or in the parking lots.

For access to the parking areas, fans can enter campus at the intersection of Science Drive and NC 751 (Cameron Blvd, Erwin Road/Towerview Drive, or Duke University Road/Towerview Drive. Those using GPS systems should enter the address 110 Bassett Road, Durham, NC 27708.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Surely she pulls for her nephew in football!

Yes, she does. But I didn't invite her to join the True Blue 'Cue Crew (fka Brunchgate) at our tent in Blue Devil Alley, which I was about to do before she dropped that bomb on me! :rolleyes:

pbc2
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
ESPN interview with Coach Cut: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/37852/qa-with-duke-coach-david-cutcliffe

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
ESPN interview with Coach Cut: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/37852/qa-with-duke-coach-david-cutcliffe
Thanks for the link, one thing I love about Cut is that he doesn't make excuses and is always very candid in his remarks. Read the section about "what would a bowl game mean" for a perfect example of that.

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, she does. But I didn't invite her to join the True Blue 'Cue Crew (fka Brunchgate) at our tent in Blue Devil Alley, which I was about to do before she dropped that bomb on me! :rolleyes:
She can come join us October 20th. :cool:

Jarhead
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Hey, Oz. I just got a call from Marty Nessley letting me know that the deadline for ordering season tickets for football has been moved up to the middle of May. I'm glad he called, since I usually order in late June. I told him I'd get my order in right away, but he said he could enter the order for me. He makes a great salesman. I ordered the tickets, and then invited him to Brunchgate. By the way, is that name change official. How will I find the tents if I don't see the Brunchgate sign? I guess the fragrance of the 'cue will get me there, though.

Marty doesn't foul http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/113.gif

OldPhiKap
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey, Oz. I just got a call from Marty Nessley letting me know that the deadline for ordering season tickets for football has been moved up to the middle of May. I'm glad he called, since I usually order in late June. I told him I'd get my order in right away, but he said he could enter the order for me. He makes a great salesman. I ordered the tickets, and then invited him to Brunchgate. By the way, is that name change official. How will I find the tents if I don't see the Brunchgate sign? I guess the fragrance of the 'cue will get me there, though.

I had one of those big Freshman poly sci classes with Marty in the theatre in the Bryan Center. He would sit up front, and ask lots of questions. He was huge. Kinda funny.

(And, you know you're getting old when you have to Google "Bryan Center" because you've been gone so long you forgot what the name of the building was).

jimsumner
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Some thoughts on Duke spring football and the spring game following Duke presser.

Duke trying to go more up-tempo on offense. Run more plays, wear down defense, keep pressure on opposing D. Renfree the key here.

Duke also looking to make quicker decisions on D. Blitz package simplified. Duke too often last season waited too long to get the calls and proper personnel. Knowles has made it a priority to improve this.

Lots of pass-rushing drills this spring. Look for more situational pass-rushing lineups, i.e three, even four DEs in lineup on obvious pass-rushing plays. Duke is even working Jonathan Woodruff into DE as a pass-rusher.

Cut says he expects all of the injured players to be ready to go by August. Much praise for Anunike's work ethic fighting through another rehab.

Who had a big spring? Receiver Blair Holliday stands out. Cut praised his hands, his route-running ability and his improved toughness. TE David Reeves should be a play-maker. Big and fast. One of his teammates used the word "monster" to describe him. In a good way. RS freshman Lucas Patrick opened lots of eyes this spring. He suffered a lower-leg injury last week and won't play tomorrow.

Josh Snead and Thompson had good springs. Roper loves Snead's improved ability to hit the hole aggressively.

On the other side of the ball, NG Jamal Bruce may be the answer to the question who-replaces-Hatcher. Duke wants Sarmiento to be more aggressive and make plays inside the tackle box and worry less about making mistakes. LB David Helton had a good spring. Steve Ingram is reshaping his body and may be ready to contribute.

Lee Butler and Cockrell will start at CB but RS-frosh Burton and Boyd have had good springs. Boyd loves to hit. Braxton's move to rover seems to have worked, both because the young WRs have stepped up and also because we were told that Braxton is a natural safety, physical and fast, with a nose for the football.

Want to know more? Saturday at 1, no charge for admission, acres and acres of free parking. Be there or be square.

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Want to know more? Saturday at 1, no charge for admission, acres and acres of free parking. Be there or be square.
I wish they'd broadcast the game on goduke.com. I'm on the road for a few weekends in April, so I'm happily sitting at home in New Bern tomorrow. They obviously have the technology for the broadcast, anyone know if it's something they may consider in the future?

pbc2
03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
I wish they'd broadcast the game on goduke.com. I'm on the road for a few weekends in April, so I'm happily sitting at home in New Bern tomorrow. They obviously have the technology for the broadcast, anyone know if it's something they may consider in the future?

Maybe if we fill Wally Wade...

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Maybe if we fill Wally Wade...
Won't help me tomorrow..but on game days I'm always one of the ones doing my best to help!

Bob Green
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Duke picks up their fourth verbal today from 6'1" 180 lb Safety Jake Kite:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/03/duke-remains-hot-on-the-recruiting-trail-adds-a-commitment-from-hard-hitting-virginia-s-jake-kite/

The team is getting off to a strong start with 2013 recruiting. I'm patiently waiting (okay not really being too patient) for reports from the Spring Game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Duke picks up their fourth verbal today from 6'1" 180 lb Safety Jake Kite:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/03/duke-remains-hot-on-the-recruiting-trail-adds-a-commitment-from-hard-hitting-virginia-s-jake-kite/

The team is getting off to a strong start with 2013 recruiting. I'm patiently waiting (okay not really being too patient) for reports from the Spring Game.
There were some big ones walking around in a group touring the campus today in the rain prior to the Spring Game.

Olympic Fan
03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
This might be worth a new thread, but just quick reactions from the spring game.

Odd division of the team. The White team had a scout team offense and the first/second team defense. The Blue Team was the first/second-team offense and the scout team defense. The first/second teams battled each other and the scout teams battled each other -- it seemed like the scout teams were out there 75 percent of the time. Sean Schroeder got more snaps than any other QB (Renfree, Boone and Connette all played for the Blue team) and a 170-pound walk-on tailback named Eric Adams rushed 31 times for like 102 yards (against the scout team defense).

The first/second team defense seemed to have the edge against the first/second team offense. Renfree had two passes intercepted and returned for a TD -- one early by Jordan Byas ... one late by Kyler Brown (a bigger, faster version of his brother Kelby). Key play of the game was when Josh Snead had an 85-yard run, but he got caught from behind at the 2 by Ross Cockrell anf fumbled out o0f the end zone.

Cockrell played GREAT. He was the defensive MVP of the game. Brandon Connette was the offensive MVP. he linedup at QB, TB, WR -- he had a long TD run as a QB nd a long pass after taking a lateral from Renfree. There were times when Duke had three QBs on the field together.

Jeremy Cash looked good -- he blocked a late FG try.

Nine potential starters missed the game, but a lot of good-looking young players got a lot of action.

Bob Green
03-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Here are a couple of reports:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205406661&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/story/10930508/

White 38, Blue 24.

Greg_Newton
03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Sirk looked like the best player on the field today. Made some really nice passes, runs and catches.

David Reeves also looked like a big-time prospect. He had a drop late, so I'm not sure about his hands, but he's huge, long and can run.

Snead was also very impressive, and noticeably faster than any of the other running backs. He did fumble the ball at the goal line at the end of an ~80 yard run that resulted in a touchback, though...

Had a nice play where Boone threw a sweep pass to Connette, who then threw it downfield to an open receiver. Hopefully we see a good amount of that, as we've got three backup QBs who are among our best overall offensive players. Neither Boone nor Connette looked great under center though - I wonder if Sirk jumps them on the depth chart.

ETA: Forgot to mention that Jeremy Cash seems like a stud. He was all over the place on defense, and seemed to have a great nose for the ball around the line of scrimmage.

uh_no
03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Here are a couple of reports:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205406661&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/story/10930508/

Blue 38, White 24. Blue was the starting defense and second team offense.

That's somewhat promising that our defense held our offense to 24.....but on the flip side, our offense was only able to score 24 points on our defense.....

Bob Green
03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Neither Boone nor Connette looked great under center though - I wonder if Sirk jumps them on the depth chart.

My expectation would be that Sirk redshirts, but Coach Cutcliffe has stated the objective this fall is to put the most talented 22 players on the field so you may have a point re Sirk and the depth chart.

chrishoke
03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Really fun day at the Wade. Our depth is much, much improved. The only downer today for me was Sean's play. We absolutely cannot start off slopwly on offense this fall.

jimsumner
03-31-2012, 07:36 PM
The line-up configurations made it pretty tough to draw a lot of conclusions. Sirk did look good. But he was passing against walk-ons and scout-team DBs. A 5-8, 170-pound walk-on carried the ball 30+ times because he was the only running back on his team. The A team had three running backs splitting carries. Adams will start the fall as the 7th team running back. Likewise, walk-on WR Brandon Watkins had a great game. His chances of playing meaningful snaps this fall are about as close to zero as possible.

There were some standouts. Ross Cockrell has become a really, really good football player. On the play where he forced Snead to fumble out of the end zone, Snead had clear separation and a full head of steam and Cockrell just plain ran him down. And Snead is fast. Jordon Byas also looked pretty good at safety, Braxton delivered some big hits and David Helton seemed to be around the ball on darn near every play. The first-team D more than held its own against the first-team O and that has to be a good sign. Add a healthy Kelby Brown and Kenny Anunike (fingers crossed) and Duke might actually have a chance to stop some people.

Likewise, the offense was missing some key people, e.g. Vernon, Desmond Scott, Braxton Deaver. Reeves showed promise at TE, although he had a big drop late. Blakeney looked like he was still figuring things out and Duke couldn't get the ball to Holliday or Crowder enough. Renfree made a bad read on the first pick-six. The second was a desperate pass at the end of the game.

It was a hoot seeing all the QBs running around playing RB or WR or whatever. How much of this carries over to the fall remains to be seen but it should give opposing Defensive Coordinators something to think about.

Olympic Fan
03-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Have to jump back in to agree with Jim's point about Sirk.

It's easy to get carried away about how good he looked, but as Jim pointed out, he was competing against scout team-level competition -- not against anybody who might play next fall.

He is a VERY good prospect. But he'll redshirt next season. Nothing that happened Saturday will change that.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
The line-up configurations made it pretty tough to draw a lot of conclusions. Sirk did look good. But he was passing against walk-ons and scout-team DBs. A 5-8, 170-pound walk-on carried the ball 30+ times because he was the only running back on his team. The A team had three running backs splitting carries. Adams will start the fall as the 7th team running back. Likewise, walk-on WR Brandon Watkins had a great game. His chances of playing meaningful snaps this fall are about as close to zero as possible.

There were some standouts. Ross Cockrell has become a really, really good football player. On the play where he forced Snead to fumble out of the end zone, Snead had clear separation and a full head of steam and Cockrell just plain ran him down. And Snead is fast. Jordon Byas also looked pretty good at safety, Braxton delivered some big hits and David Helton seemed to be around the ball on darn near every play. The first-team D more than held its own against the first-team O and that has to be a good sign. Add a healthy Kelby Brown and Kenny Anunike (fingers crossed) and Duke might actually have a chance to stop some people.

Likewise, the offense was missing some key people, e.g. Vernon, Desmond Scott, Braxton Deaver. Reeves showed promise at TE, although he had a big drop late. Blakeney looked like he was still figuring things out and Duke couldn't get the ball to Holliday or Crowder enough. Renfree made a bad read on the first pick-six. The second was a desperate pass at the end of the game.

It was a hoot seeing all the QBs running around playing RB or WR or whatever. How much of this carries over to the fall remains to be seen but it should give opposing Defensive Coordinators something to think about.

1. Any reason for the strange line-ups? I'd like to think it is to mask our strengths but I suspect I'm reaching.

2. I like the idea of Connette as a back at times -- kid clearly can run, and it gives a good opportunity to freeze the secondary. Very interesting.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2012, 08:27 PM
After a rainy morning, it was certainly welcome for a dry 2 hours to watch the game. The sun even came out!

Of the five (5) quarterbacks who played, based on performance, Renfree was at the bottom of the list, which was very disappointing to me, and I'm sure the coaches, too. He needs to elevate his game between now and September 1st.

I had just told some folks that Snead's forte' in high school was to run up the middle, elude the first tackle, and break off a long run, when he did just that - 78 out of the 80 yards ahead of him. I was really surprised when Russ Cockrell ran him down, as Jim Sumner described above. That just doesn't happen very often. (It says great things about Cockrell!) His fumble was unfortunate and hopefully something that won't happen again. He did have 2 touchdowns later in the game, one on a short run (goal line effort from ~1 yard line) and on a pass reception.

Nice to see Sean Schroeder get extended playing time and do well, even if it was against the scout team defense. Other than a few mop up snaps in the Tulane game (?) last year, it's the first time he's been seen in public on the field. And yes, Thomas Sirk looks like a player, after he (probably) redshirts next season. He looks really skinny, but then, he's only a high school senior who enrolled a semester early (great for him!)

Nice variations and wrinkles in using Connette and Boone - I hope that does carry over to the fall. Loved the end around option pass by Connette to Crowder! :cool:

But the question remains - will Renfree be the QB we hope and expect him to be next fall?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2012, 08:36 PM

I actually talked with Marty for about 5 minutes before today's scrimmage. Really nice guy! He's lost about 80 pounds and said he has another 100 or so to go. He told me about his health problem(s), which is why he had to get out of the restaurant business.

Yes, the tent name has officially changed to True Blue 'Cue Crew, but we usually have the old Brunchgate banner/sign up too (I've got it in my garage and bring it when I remember...). You'll probably recognize us - we haven't aged THAT much since you last saw us! :cool: And the tent is, or should be, in about the same location as we've always been. PM me your current email address so I can add it to our tent mailing list - nice to have you back in the fold! I expect the billing notices will go out in the next couple of weeks, just after I get MY notice from Duke.

jimsumner
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
1. Any reason for the strange line-ups? I'd like to think it is to mask our strengths but I suspect I'm reaching..

I think it had more to do with depth than anything else. Remember, you don't have the guys who finished up last fall and you don't have the guys who'll show up over the summer (except Sirk). Then, you subtract the guys who are injured.

That doesn't leave a lot of ACC-caliber players. The game was shortened to four 12-minute quarters and kickoff/punt activities were limited. Still, if you have 48 minutes of first-team offense against first-team defense, then you're running an increased risk of injuries. But if you have Eric Adams trying to wriggle away from Chris Hoover or Jacques Bristow for half the game, then you reduce that risk of injuries to critical players.

Or maybe the coaches just wanted to reward some of the guys who work hard in practice and never get to play in front of the screaming throng of 2,000 or so fans.

But it was weird, going from ACC football to something well less than ACC football at the drop of the proverbial hat.

A cautionary note. I remember Sean Schroeder outperforming Sean Renfree a few years ago in the spring game. I remember guys like Matt Pridemore at WR or Cameron Jones at RB having great spring games and then disappearing. It's the nature of the beast.

Cautionary note, 2. New scoreboard. Think ugly and multiply. Way too busy for my taste. Did you know that this was the PNC Duke Spring Football Game? if you didn't, Duke has a scoreboard primarily devoted to communicating that relationship. The rest of the stuff-score and down and all that, seemed peripheral. I really hope Duke dials it back this fall.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Cautionary note, 2. New scoreboard. Think ugly and multiply. Way too busy for my taste. Did you know that this was the PNC Duke Spring Football Game? if you didn't, Duke has a scoreboard primarily devoted to communicating that relationship. The rest of the stuff-score and down and all that, seemed peripheral. I really hope Duke dials it back this fall.

Very difficult to find the time and down/yards to go information with a quick glance, it being located at the bottom of the scoreboard instead of at the top. And there was no "Time outs left" spot. As busy as it was, you'd think they could fit that critical bit of information in somewhere. Nice widescreen video board though.

jimsumner
03-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Very difficult to find the time and down/yards to go information with a quick glance, it being located at the bottom of the scoreboard instead of at the top. And there was no "Time outs left" spot. As busy as it was, you'd think they could fit that critical bit of information in somewhere. Nice widescreen video board though.

It took me awhile to find the times-out left indicator. Below the score for each team were three bars. When a team took a time-out, a bar disappeared. Some NBA telecasts have this. It's not intuitive and I don't especially like it. But I suppose we'll figure it out and get used to it.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
It took me awhile to find the times-out left indicator. Below the score for each team were three bars. When a team took a time-out, a bar disappeared. Some NBA telecasts have this. It's not intuitive and I don't especially like it. But I suppose we'll figure it out and get used to it.

OK, thanks Jim. Since I never watch NBA games, I didn't know to look for it. :cool: But now that I know it's there, not a problem.

formerdukeathlete
04-01-2012, 05:26 PM
........Of the five (5) quarterbacks who played, based on performance, Renfree was at the bottom of the list, which was very disappointing to me, and I'm sure the coaches, too. He needs to elevate his game between now and September 1st.

...........Thomas Sirk looks like a player, after he (probably) redshirts next season. He looks really skinny, but then, he's only a high school senior who enrolled a semester early (great for him!)

http://www.herald-sun.com/view/full_story/18069857/article-Duke-spring-football--QB-Connette--CB-Cockrell-win-MVP-honors?

I guess that is right, but usually better skinny than fat. Sirk benched 185 lbs 28 times at a combine junior year in high school. Looks pretty strong in the photo from the Herald-Sun. Reading raves about how fast and athletic he is.

pbc2
04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Postgame interviews from Saturday:

Coach Cutcliffe (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/coach-cutcliffe-recaps-dukes-spring-game/)
Sean Renfree (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/duke-qb-sean-renfree-discusses-his-spring-game-performance/)
Ross Cockrell (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/bdn-interview-with-defensive-mvp-ross-cockrell-after-duke-spring-game/)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Postgame interviews from Saturday:

Coach Cutcliffe (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/coach-cutcliffe-recaps-dukes-spring-game/)
Sean Renfree (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/duke-qb-sean-renfree-discusses-his-spring-game-performance/)
Ross Cockrell (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/bdn-interview-with-defensive-mvp-ross-cockrell-after-duke-spring-game/)

Great links! Thanks! At the end of the Renfree interview, he was being asked about having Snead back. I'd be curious to know what he answered, if his answer was more insightful than just "it's great to have him back...".

pbc2
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Great links! Thanks! At the end of the Renfree interview, he was being asked about having Snead back. I'd be curious to know what he answered, if his answer was more insightful than just "it's great to have him back...".

Sorry it got cut off. It wasn't much more insightful, other than that with Snead healthy, it's another weapon for the offense and he's probably our fastest back.

devildeac
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Sorry it got cut off. It wasn't much more insightful, other than that with Snead healthy, it's another weapon for the offense and he's probably our fastest back.

Faster than Cockrell?;)

kingboozer
04-02-2012, 08:34 PM
off topic i know, but i came across this video, wish the stadium looked like this right now. I know we are in a fundraising stage as far as renovation but is this the general idea still? I hope so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4LBdTmvcg

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I love all the Duke Blue shirts in the stands!

pbc2
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
TE David Reeves turned some heads this spring. He has a lot to work on, but should be a big contributor for the Blue Devil program over the next few years. http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/04/redshirt-freshman-tight-end-david-reeves-discusses-his-first-spring-in-durham/

formerdukeathlete
04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
off topic i know, but i came across this video, wish the stadium looked like this right now. I know we are in a fundraising stage as far as renovation but is this the general idea still? I hope so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4LBdTmvcg

The current plan now is highlighted in the Bostock Study, which replaces RATIO (for the most part).

The bathrooms and concessions conceived in this RATIO plan have been built, already.

The only other carryover from RATIO to Bostock is the unfortunate addition of temporary, non-integrated bleacher seating at field level. This remains the weakest link in the proposals to renovate the stadium.

Bostock, nonetheless, is far superior to the RATIO plan which was highlighted in the video. Bostock adds outdoor club seating, increases capacity (RATIO did not, where what was added merely replaced seating lost in adding handicap accessibility), and re-engineers the stadium somewhat in adding an upper deck as well as endzone seating. RATIO was more of a cosmetic facelift.

Sir Stealth
04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Do we really need/want to increase capacity? Even if the football program thrives, the fanbase just isn't going to be that big. The best aesthetic upgrade would be a stadium that is actually full.

CameronBornAndBred
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Do we really need/want to increase capacity? Even if the football program thrives, the fanbase just isn't going to be that big. The best aesthetic upgrade would be a stadium that is actually full.

Exactly. You need only to look a few hundred feet away from the entrance of Wallace Wade to see the value of an old stadium that is full with fans. And even that one had some trouble filling up this year.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Kevin White has said (last year) that we (Duke athletics) need more income than the current seating capacity can produce. Hence they are increasing the seating capacity, with the expectation that winning will put fannies in the seats! :cool:

Jarhead
04-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Kevin White has said (last year) that we (Duke athletics) need more income than the current seating capacity can produce. Hence they are increasing the seating capacity, with the expectation that winning will put fannies in the seats! :cool:

Oz, unless the design location for those new seats to be installed in front of the concrete stands includes a suitable lowering of the field surface, visibility for fans would surely be blocked by the players and coaches standing along the sidelines. Not many fannies would be in those seats.

This idea has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, so I won't go there except to wonder if the plans include the moving of the track facilities to another location. I thought I saw something in some other drawings that were linked some time ago. Why do that without lowering the field? Oh, well, as long as I have my seats, I will still be able to see the action.

Greg_Newton
04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I was under the impression that lowering the field was still very much a part of the current plan, coinciding with the removal of the track and the addition of extra, field-level seats. Am I mistaken?

ikiru36
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I was under the impression that lowering the field was still very much a part of the current plan, coinciding with the removal of the track and the addition of extra, field-level seats. Am I mistaken?

Could be wrong but I believe that the Bostock plans call for lowering the field if seating were added at track level. The available 3D renderings (which ignore lowering of the field) appear to be from the Ratio design plan. I believe the Bostock plan is newer and more likely to be the planned implementation (depending on funding success).
Glad to be corrected but that's my current understanding.
Go Duke!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg_Newton
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Gotcha. Honestly, it would be pretty ridiculous to dedicate any money to anything other than lowering the field at this point. The current stadium is really perfectly fine, aside from the massive, overarching flaw of "the track". Any renovations to the concourse or club seating or anything should be a distant second, IMO.

OldPhiKap
04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Gotcha. Honestly, it would be pretty ridiculous to dedicate any money to anything other than lowering the field at this point. The current stadium is really perfectly fine, aside from the massive, overarching flaw of "the track". Any renovations to the concourse or club seating or anything should be a distant second, IMO.

Oddly enough, the track was put in for collegiate championships IIRC in the early 80's and was heralded as a great improvement. Not sure if seats were taken out to install it though.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Oddly enough, the track was put in for collegiate championships IIRC in the early 80's and was heralded as a great improvement. Not sure if seats were taken out to install it though.

The track, or a track, has been there since almost the dawn of time, but it was resurfaced with the good, soft stuff, back in the 80's (?) for some international track meets that were held in Wallace Wade. The areas for field events (pole vault, etc) were also improved at that time. And AFAIK, the field will be lowered when the track is relocated and that's when seats will be added then. There will also be club seats/sky boxes added, probably along the east side where the President's box is now (that gets the heave-ho). :cool:

Bob Green
04-05-2012, 07:53 PM
The track, or a track, has been there since almost the dawn of time, but it was resurfaced with the good, soft stuff, back in the 80's (?) for some international track meets that were held in Wallace Wade.

I watched an international track meet at Wallace Wade in 1975 so I believe the resurfacing with the good, soft stuff, took place in the 70's.

-jk
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I watched an international track meet at Wallace Wade in 1975 so I believe the resurfacing with the good, soft stuff, took place in the 70's.

I was at one of those meets in the 70s (USSR? Pan Africa? There were a bunch in the '70s, some filling the old concourse bleachers, even). The "half time entertainment" featured a streaker who went end to end down the field, trailed by a cloud of officers, until he tripped on a picket fence at the open end.

Those were some astonishingly successful meets, streakers or no.

-jk

Indoor66
04-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I was at one of those meets in the 70s (USSR? Pan Africa? There were a bunch in the '70s, some filling the old concourse bleachers, even). The "half time entertainment" featured a streaker who went end to end down the field, trailed by a cloud of officers, until he tripped on a picket fence at the open end.

-jk

Those meets were headed by Dr. LeRoy Walker, NCCU Track Coach and Al Beuler, Duke Track Coach along with a strong committee of local business people. Dr. Walker was also the U. S. Olympic Track Coach in 1976 and, IRRC, Al was an assistant.

And yes, they were very successful - drawing large crowds each day. The meets used facilities from Duke, unc and N. C. State. Those meets made Durham a competitor with Eugene, Or as the Track Capital of the U. S. IRRC, Duke and Durham - Chapel Hill - Raleigh was a serious contender to serve as the U. S. Olympic Training site for the '76 Olympics.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
The "half time entertainment" featured a streaker who went end to end down the field, trailed by a cloud of officers, until he tripped on a picket fence at the open end.

It was NOT me! Don't let devildeac tell you otherwise! I wouldn't have tripped over the fence. :cool:

Scorp4me
04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
So is this a sort of "if you build it they will come kind of thing"? I want to believe Duke football will improve...and I do. But the stadium already looks pitifully empty as it is. I find the notion of adding seats, lowering the field, or any of that to be silly at the moment. I know you gotta plan but geez...I'd rather be selling out the current seating before actually adding any.

wncgrad
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
It was NOT me! Don't let devildeac tell you otherwise! I wouldn't have tripped over the fence. :cool:

I remember a streaker at a football game. It was hilarious because he came out of the tunnel and went somewhat diagonally the length of the field. He got slower and slower but the cops chasing him got slower and slower too. The crowd was cheering and laughing too. He was so beat he could not clear the fence at the open end!

When the current track was installed additional lanes were added which necessitated moving the football field. If you will carefully notice the President's Box is not on the 50 yard line like it was originally.

devildeac
04-05-2012, 10:38 PM

-jk

OZZIE swears that he was not that streaker:o.

duke09hms
04-05-2012, 11:05 PM
So is this a sort of "if you build it they will come kind of thing"? I want to believe Duke football will improve...and I do. But the stadium already looks pitifully empty as it is. I find the notion of adding seats, lowering the field, or any of that to be silly at the moment. I know you gotta plan but geez...I'd rather be selling out the current seating before actually adding any.

Amen brother. Wins are all that matter. And without wins, all this talk about stadium renovations is irrelevant. Who wants to have brand spanking new stadium that's barely a quarter full because the team is averaging 3 wins a year?

Acymetric
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Amen brother. Wins are all that matter. And without wins, all this talk about stadium renovations is irrelevant. Who wants to have brand spanking new stadium that's barely a quarter full because the team is averaging 3 wins a year?

Is there a real, discernible difference between 15,000 empty seats and 17,000 empty seats from a visual standpoint? Either way, it looks empty. If we're lowering the field and removing the track we may as well go the whole 9 yards and add some seating just in case we ever need it. Of course, with Duke football maybe going 9 yards is part of the problem...we need 10!

duke09hms
04-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Well the whole point of adding more seating is that they will allow us to make more money off ticket sales to pay for the renovations and generate more revenue for Duke.

That's not gonna happen without wins. In fact, without wins leading to greater attendance, these renovations are a money-losing proposition for Duke, which already loses $15 million a year due to athletics. That's enough for ~400 full scholarships for students, or half-tuition scholarships for half an entire class of students. Every year.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but it seems very premature to be sinking the funds to build additional seating when we can't even fill up Wally Wade's current capacity. We don't even know if it's theoretically possible given the small fanbase in the area, even if we start winning a lot of games.

I think it would be much wiser to spend money getting Wallace Wade up to decent standards - like with the restroom renovations and then proceed with optional upgrades like additional seating if the product on the field deserves it.

Greg_Newton
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I mean, the main point of removing the track and lowering the field is to put the crowd closer to the field and hope to create some semblance of an atmosphere, not to increase capacity. Obviously, it's all kind of pointless if the program doesn't continue to improve, but the track just kills any sense of intimacy (see: CIS) even when it gets crowded. I'd much rather they just save whatever money they might spend on restroom improvements, concessions, etc. until they can come up with enough to address the real flaw of the stadium.

heyman25
04-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Those meets were headed by Dr. LeRoy Walker, NCCU Track Coach and Al Beuler, Duke Track Coach along with a strong committee of local business people. Dr. Walker was also the U. S. Olympic Track Coach in 1976 and, IRRC, Al was an assistant.

And yes, they were very successful - drawing large crowds each day. The meets used facilities from Duke, unc and N. C. State. Those meets made Durham a competitor with Eugene, Or as the Track Capital of the U. S. IRRC, Duke and Durham - Chapel Hill - Raleigh was a serious contender to serve as the U. S. Olympic Training site for the '76 Olympics.

Steve Prefontaine one of the USA greatest distant runners competed against Mirus Iftir of Ethiopia. Can't remember if Kip Keino of Kenya was there.

Indoor66
04-06-2012, 06:48 AM

I imagine that if you watch the Miami Marlins this year you will find out.

OldPhiKap
04-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I mean, the main point of removing the track and lowering the field is to put the crowd closer to the field and hope to create some semblance of an atmosphere, not to increase capacity. Obviously, it's all kind of pointless if the program doesn't continue to improve, but the track just kills any sense of intimacy (see: CIS) even when it gets crowded. I'd much rather they just save whatever money they might spend on restroom improvements, concessions, etc. until they can come up with enough to address the real flaw of the stadium.

I never really gave this much thought until the Alabama game two years ago, when I sat in the endzone bleachers. There is a lot of merit to Greg's point.

formerdukeathlete
04-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Its the configuration of the stadium; its an outmoded design. Because of the track, because of the gradual rake of the stadium, it is neither loud, nor intimidating. The proposal carried over from RATIO highlighted in the Bostock renderings is to lower the field about 5 feet, add about 3k in seating (about what we lose in handicap accessibility along the concourse). It is not an integrated design renovation, however. Were the design to cut the lower wall of the stadium and form up new seating which mimics the design, the rake, sizing fo the existing structure, we would add in the neighborhood of 7k or more. If we added seats in the open end as the field were lowered (not going so far as to enclose the open end), we would add about 10k seats. The stadium, while still not ideal from a rake, pitch, viewing angle perspective, would be much more integrated, impressive, and it would be louder and more imposing for visiting teams. The genesis of the temporary bleacher, lower the field 5 feet, was input from Joe Alleva, to make the temporary-ish bleacher seating student seating, like in Cameron. It is a huge mistake. Moving the track is a large expense. Why not get the most or at least a more optimal bang for your buck and do it the right way?! Think Wisconsin and Ohio State when they removed their tracks and lowered their field. Under the approach I describe, the field would be lowered about 10 feet, and seating near field level still would be about 8 feet above the field in terms of sitting sightlines. I agree with another poster that this is the most important part of the renovation in terms of the look and feel fo the stadium. Club seating and suites will be helpful, also, particularly in terms of revenue, particularly if we start winning. But, for the look and feel of the stadium, how we lower the field and how we add seating in doing so is the most important facet of the renovation. I liked Joe Alleva, but his plan for temporary-ish bleachers needs to be thrown out.

mkline09
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I think Duke is going about the improvements to Wade in the right way. A phased improvement that allows time for improvement in the program to build up the confidence in the fan base to attend the games with regularlity. That includes students. I think improvements to the concourse are a necessity to improve the fans experience. Wade is the only stadium I've seen where guys, yes guys are waiting in line to use the restroom. And that is when the games aren't even close to capacity. I think you can make some concourse improvments to improve the over all look of the stadium with out addressing capacity issues. The long term plans that have been shared here include building and upper deck on one if not both sides of Wade and potentially closing in the horse shoe. Those obviously won't be don't any time soon but I think the concorse could definitely be spruced up to look nicer and be a bit more fan friendly.

In terms of the track, which I appreciate its history and the track team itself, I think moving it and lowering the field and bringing seats closer to the action can only help with the atmosphere. There isn't really an awful seat in Wade right now but even when you are sitting on the first row you feel miles away from the action. That of course is going to happen with football. You can't have stands on top of the field like you have in basketball. But still I think it would be a big improvement to do that and make it as others have said, more intimate.

The plan I thought was to address the practice facility needs first, which they have done and then slowly being stadium upgrades which have happened with the new concession and restrooms on the opposite ends of the horse shoe. I'd still like to see even more improvements to the closed end if it is only improving the walk way and making it a little more asthetically appealing for fans, and potential recruits. It may be a little thing, not as important as wins and loses but little things count too.

Bob Green
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Jim Young (ACC Sports Journal) interviews Patrick Cacchio (Blue Devil Nation) to review Duke Spring Football:

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012042712692/ask-a-blogger-duke-spring-football-review.php

The talk of multiple QB formations to diversify the Red Zone offense is particularly interesting to me. QB, Safety and RB are our deepest positions, and the return game with Jamison Crowder should be dynamic.

September 1st and the season opener against FIU is only 126 days away.

mkline09
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Jim Young (ACC Sports Journal) interviews Patrick Cacchio (Blue Devil Nation) to review Duke Spring Football:

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012042712692/ask-a-blogger-duke-spring-football-review.php

The talk of multiple QB formations to diversify the Red Zone offense is particularly interesting to me. QB, Safety and RB are our deepest positions, and the return game with Jamison Crowder should be dynamic.

September 1st and the season opener against FIU is only 126 days away.

I for one am not a big fan of the QB shuffle. It just killed the momentum at times last year and it seemed everytime Boone came in they just ran the same play or version of the same play over and over. Didn't help in the redzone either.

I trust Cut knows a heck of a lot more about offense than I do but i really hope the play calling is more diverse in the redzone and the QB shuffle doesn't end up making the offense stagnant. I say pick a QB and ride him till he bucks you.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I for one am not a big fan of the QB shuffle. It just killed the momentum at times last year and it seemed everytime Boone came in they just ran the same play or version of the same play over and over. Didn't help in the redzone either.

I trust Cut knows a heck of a lot more about offense than I do but i really hope the play calling is more diverse in the redzone and the QB shuffle doesn't end up making the offense stagnant. I say pick a QB and ride him till he bucks you.

“I’ve always been a one-quarterback, pro-offense-style kind of guy, but I’ve always been willing to change, and the game has changed,” Cutcliffe said Wednesday
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/18/2009899/duke-coach-talks-quarterbacks.html#storylink=cpy

When I read that a couple weeks ago I had to laugh. I know there are a few, but it's hard to recall too many games when Cutcliffe (or any recent Duke coach, I swear, it's a requirement signed into their contracts) has not used at least 2 QB's. Obviously sometimes it needed due to injury...but think of all the plays we've seen with Asack, Connette, Boone...whoever...sent in to run the ball while our "passing QB" sits on the sidelines. Being a backup QB in Durham must be great, because you are just about guaranteed playing time.