PDA

View Full Version : Baseball songs

TillyGalore
07-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm heading to Cooperstown this weekend (for the HOF induction ceremonies) and want to put together a playlist of baseball songs. Naturally, the only song I can think of is John Fogerty's Centerfield courtesy of a fellow poster on another threat (thanks again Bluedawg).

Can you all suggest a song or recording to add to my playlist?

EarlJam
07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Oh snap! This rocks.

1. Take me out to the ball game
2. National Anthem (especially Enrico Palazzo version)
3. They're Talkin' Baseball ("Mickey and the Duke") - not sure who sang it.
4. Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf

-EarlJam

EarlJam
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm heading to Cooperstown this weekend (for the HOF induction ceremonies) and want to put together a playlist of baseball songs. Naturally, the only song I can think of is John Fogerty's Centerfield courtesy of a fellow poster on another threat (thanks again Bluedawg).

Can you all suggest a song or recording to add to my playlist?

Also, how awesome it is that you are going to see Cal Ripken Jr. inducted. Too cool. For that reason, I might add to your list:

1. Baltimore
2. Streets of Baltimore
3. CALifornia Girls
4. Going Back to CALly

-EarlJam

Olympic Fan
07-25-2007, 04:58 PM
You guys have barely touched the surface --

Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey and the Duke) -- is by Terry Cashman
If you like that, try Van Lingo Mingo by David Frishberg -- the lyrics are all odd names of former players.
Obviously, you'll need Glory Days by the Boss and Cheap Seats by Alabama (the Triple A song). I've never heard it, but Bob Dylan wrote and performed a song titled "Catfish" about you know who. Some of the lyrics:

Catfish, million-dollar-man,
Nobody can throw the ball like Catfish can.

Used to work on Mr. Finley's farm
But the old man wouldn't pay
So he packed his glove and took his arm
An' one day he just ran away.

Come up where the Yankees are,
Dress up in a pinstripe suit,
Smoke a custom-made cigar,
Wear an alligator boot.

Carolina born and bred,
Love to hunt the little quail.
Got a hundred-acre spread,
Got some huntin' dogs for sale.

Reggie Jackson at the plate
Seein' nothin' but the curve,
Swing too early or too late
Got to eat what Catfish serve.

Even Billy Martin grins
When the Fish is in the game.
Every season twenty wins
Gonna make the Hall of Fame.

There are plenty of player specific classics from Joltin' Joe DiMaggio to Theresa Brewer's I Love Mickey to The Treiner's Sey Hey (the Willie Mays song). There are lots more like that, going back to before the turn of the century and Slide, Kelly, Slide (which was a big hit before Take Me Out To The Ball Game).

But let me strongly endorse two baseball songs that you might or might not have heard. Danny Kaye's D-O-D-G-E-R-S (Oh Really?, No, O'Malley) is a riot. It's one of his patter songs and describes a game between the LA Dodgers and the San Francisco Giants with Juan Marchial on the mound.

But my all-time favorite baseball song is a 1911 ditty with lyrics by Ring Lardner that I first heard over the end credits of an eposide of Ken Burns' baseball. It's title is "Gee, It's A Wonderful Game."

Here are the lyrics:

Gee, It's A Wonderful Game
©1911, Lyrics by Ring Lardner - Music by G. Harris (Doc) White

VERSE 1

Who discovered the land
Of the brave and the free?
I don't know, I don't know
'Twas Christy Columbus
Is what they tell me
May be so, I don't know

There's only one Christy
That I know at all
One Christy that I ever saw
He's the one who discovered
The fade away ball
And he pitches for Muggsy McGraw

CHORUS:

Baseball, baseball
Ain't it a wonderful game?
Old Christy Colum'
Found this country, by gum
But the extras don't
Carry his name

If old man Columbus
Had sat in the stand
Had seen Matty pitching that
"Fader" so grand
He'd have said
Boys I'm glad I discovered this land
Gee! it's a wonderful game

VERSE 2

Who lost out in the battle
Of old Waterloo?
I don't know, I don't know
They say 'twas Na-po-le-on
May be it's true
May be so, I don't know

The pink sheets don't print
Mr. Bonaparte's face
No stories about him today
'Cause he never could hold down
That old second base
Like his name sake,
Big Nap Lay'-oo-way

CHORUS:

Baseball, baseball
Ain't it a dandy old game?
The gen'ral of France
Couldn't lead 'em like Chance
So no wonder his Waterloo came

If down in his pocket
Napoleon had dug,
Had paid his five francs
To see Tyrus Cobb slug
He'd have said, I give up
I'm a bug, I'm a bug
Gee! it's a wonderful game

If anybody is interested, you can download a version for free here ( hope the link works):

http://play.rhapsody.com/album/baseballafilmbykenburnsoriginalsoundtrackrecording/geeitsawonderfulgame?didAutoplayBounce=true

MulletMan
07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Centerfield by John Fogarty

HOF weekend is an awesome time! Enjoy it. I went to see Ryno and Boggs get inducted. I went with my Dad and it was probably one of the greatest weekends of my life. Watching him act like a 14 year old kid when all of his old faves were introduced, and then watching me act like a 14 year old kid when Ryno got introduced... well it don't get much better than that.

Tom B.
07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey and the Duke) -- is by Terry Cashman

I can't hear that song without mentally filling in the lyrics from "Talkin' Softball," the spoof on "Talkin' Baseball" that's featured in an episode of The Simpsons. (Incidentally, Terry Cashman also performed the "softball" version of the song for that Simpsons episode.)

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
We're talkin' Homer...
Ozzie, and the Straw.

tommy
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Simon & Garfunkel. Joltin' Joe has left and gone away . . .

dukemomLA
07-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets
Step right up and greet the Mets
Bring your kiddies, bring your wife
Guaranteed to have the time of your life
'Cause the Mets are really sockin' the ball
Hittin' the home runs over the wall
So, east side, west side, everyone is comin' down
So greet the M-E-T-S, Mets
From New York town.....

("You Gotta Believe", Tug McGraw)

oso diablo
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm a big fan of baseball themed songs. There are surprisingly tons of them out there. The best compilations, by far, are the Diamond Cut series. My favorite of the series is volume 3 (Triple Play).

Amazon link to Vol 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Cuts-Play-Ball-Vol/dp/B00004YN8T/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9714275-4847236?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185454792&sr=8-1)
Hungry for Music (http://www.hungryformusic.com/hfm/cds.htm) - the originators/producers of the series

Discussion on Baseball Fever forum (http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=45269&referrerid=5689) - a more detailed discussion about baseball songs, spear-headed by a guy who's even more obsessed than i am.

I'll try to find time later to compile a list of favorite songs.

allenmurray
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Bob Dylan does a one hour show on XM Radio during which he plays other people's music (not his own) around a certain theme. The show is called Theme Time Radio Hour. A while back he did a special show on basesball.

If you ordered his most recent CD (Modern Times) from the web site they gave you a copy as a promo. I believe that is/was the only way to get one (I did see a used copy available on Amazon for $288). http://www.amazon.com/Theme-Time-Radio-Hour-Show/dp/B000IHT6QE

It features the following performers and songs:

The Skeletons – Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
Mabel Scott – Baseball Boogie.
Chance Halladay – Home Run.
Johnny Darling - Baseball Baby.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti – Baseball Canto.
Cowboy Copas – Three Strikes and You're Out.
Sister Wynona Carr – The Ball Game.
Buddy Johnson – Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball.
Les Brown and His Band Of Renown – Joltin' Joe DiMaggio.
Billy Bragg & Wilco –Joe DiMaggio's Done It Again.
Teddy Brannon Orchestra – Don Newcomb Really Throws That Ball.
Sonny Rollins – Newk's Fadeaway.
The Treniers – Say Hey.
Sam Bush – The Wizard Of Oz.
Ry Cooder – 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium.
Damn Yankee/1955 Original Broadway Cast – Heart.

Send me a private message and we'll see if we can work out a way for you to get a copy.

Windsor
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets
From New York town

Now there is a song I haven't heard in a long long time! That brings back some memories. Thanks!

Bluedawg
07-26-2007, 11:43 AM
I can't hear that song without mentally filling in the lyrics from "Talkin' Softball," the spoof on "Talkin' Baseball" that's featured in an episode of The Simpsons. (Incidentally, Terry Cashman also performed the "softball" version of the song for that Simpsons episode.)

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
We're talkin' Homer...
Ozzie, and the Straw.

Maybe this will help shake that image:

Talkin' Baseball (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TYpwonB7e4c)

duke74
07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets
From New York town.....

("You Gotta Believe", Tug McGraw)

"....All the butchers and the bakers and everyone in town...where do they go...TO MEET THE METS!!!"

I had the original 45 from when I went to the Polo Grounds with my Dad (a "destroyed" Bklyn Dodger fan -- rot in H-ll, Walter!) in 1962. Never forgave my mom for throwing it away when I "grew up". Go Metsies!

oso diablo
07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
if you want to look up songs on itunes or such, check out artists like Chuck Brodsky or Dan Bern.

rthomas
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Wild Thing by the Trogs

dkbaseball
07-26-2007, 06:16 PM
You'll hear them ALL before the ceremony, if the program is the same as it was when I went in '94. Absolutely the best part of the experience and a huge surprise -- sitting on the lawn for a couple hours before the ceremony starts and hearing them play virtually every baseball song ever written. I can't remember ever feeling so mellow. It was a real trip to hear the Little Leaguer song for the first time since the early '60s. Trust me -- go early.

TillyGalore
07-26-2007, 06:53 PM
You'll hear them ALL before the ceremony, if the program is the same as it was when I went in '94. Absolutely the best part of the experience and a huge surprise -- sitting on the lawn for a couple hours before the ceremony starts and hearing them play virtually every baseball song ever written. I can't remember ever feeling so mellow. It was a real trip to hear the Little Leaguer song for the first time since the early '60s. Trust me -- go early.

I'm hoping to get there around 9 a.m., especially since everyone from the state of Maryland is going to be there too. Am planning to use my play list on my way to Cooperstown. Am packing a book, cards, and I don't know what else that I pick up at Target tonight to keep me and my dad occupied until the ceremony begins and after it ends. Since we need to get there early we're planning to stay for a while afterwards while the traffic dies down.

Thanks for sharing about your experience. Gives me something else to look forward to.

Afraid to post again else I'll lose my Elton Brand status.

merry
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm late to this thread but have to add - one of my all time fave's is the late Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cub Fans Last Request".