PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse

burnspbesq
02-18-2012, 11:20 PM
A seller on StubHub is asking $200/ea for a pair of tickets for next Saturday's Harvard - Penn game. In fairness, they are half-court, first row.

The same seats are $160/ea for the Princeton game.

sagegrouse
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
While this is a big game with some national implications, the high price also reflects the lack of seating capacity at Harvard. Here's a description --

The Ray Lavietes Basketball Pavilion at the Briggs Athletic Center is a 2,195-seat multi-purpose arena in the Allston neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. It is the second-oldest college basketball arena still in use (Fordham University's Rose Hill Gym (1924) is the oldest.)

I know Duke is able to extract economic rents from fans because of the limited seating at Cameron, but 2,195 at Harvard is much more extreme. I mean with a $32 billion endowment, isn't there some money there for athletic facilities?

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
02-19-2012, 08:33 AM
While this is a big game with some national implications, the high price also reflects the lack of seating capacity at Harvard. Here's a description --

I know Duke is able to extract economic rents from fans because of the limited seating at Cameron, but 2,195 at Harvard is much more extreme. I mean with a $32 billion endowment, isn't there some money there for athletic facilities?

sagegrouse

They chant "Our House!" at Harvard, too, but that's because the last few fans out need to cut off the lights and tidy up a bit before leaving.

burnspbesq
02-19-2012, 10:02 AM

sagegrouse

Until quite recently, Lavietes was rarely full. I think this weekend's games may be the first advance sellouts in the history of Harvard men's basketball.

pamtar
02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd prolly pay $200 for those seats at the Palestra...