PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Recruiting Chart

Philawolf
02-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey Blue Devils,

Great comeback the other day, alas NC State was on the wrong side of it. Anyway...

As some of you may remember that I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web, I asked some of you guys about it earlier, if you remember. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. Anyway, here is the Duke page, let me know if you see any corrections, or have any questions.

verbalcommits.com (http://verbalcommits.com/schools/3)

alteran
02-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Hey Blue Devils,

Great comeback the other day, alas NC State was on the wrong side of it. Anyway...

As some of you may remember that I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web, I asked some of you guys about it earlier, if you remember. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. Anyway, here is the Duke page, let me know if you see any corrections, or have any questions.

Bookmarked. Many thanks.

Rich
02-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey Blue Devils,

Great site. On the Recruits pages, what does the word "missing" mean in front of the school name, e.g., "Missing Duke"? Also, on those same pages are the list of schools in a particular order?

Philawolf
02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Great site. On the Recruits pages, what does the word "missing" mean in front of the school name, e.g., "Missing Duke"? Also, on those same pages are the list of schools in a particular order?

Its actually the image of the Duke logo that is missing. I have a blank image that I was using locally, but it didn't upload to my provider. I'm working on permissions to use all the D1 school logos, but its a tedious process as I have to contact each school independently.

mgtr
02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Wow! This is really slick. It took me all of 3 seconds to hit the bookmark button. Pretty hard to keep track of otherwise. Thank you.

Philawolf
02-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Oh, and in terms of the order, they are sorted first by level of interest, and then by date the offer shows up on one of the sites (Rivals, ESPN, or Scout).

Philawolf
02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Wow! This is really slick. It took me all of 3 seconds to hit the bookmark button. Pretty hard to keep track of otherwise. Thank you.

I'm glad you like. Took way longer than I thought it would.

johnb
02-19-2012, 11:34 PM
excellent stuff.

one tidbit, if you go just by consensus overall ranking, only 2 of our players hit the McD top 24: Austin and... Ryan.

miramar
02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
This is very useful and despite the variety of information presented, it's really simple to follow.

The NRs under Seth's name also serve as a reminder of the Linsanity of player rankings.

Jarhead
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks, Philawolf. Following recruiting has been a quite difficult task over the years. You have skillfully but it all together, and I have it bookmarked. Keep up the good work, and see if you can do something about bracketology while you're at it.

Bob Green
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
excellent stuff.

one tidbit, if you go just by consensus overall ranking, only 2 of our players hit the McD top 24: Austin and... Ryan.

I'm a little confused in trying to figure out exactly what you are saying here, but in addition to Austin Rivers and Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee were honored as McDonald's All Americans. Rasheed Sulaimon will play in the 2012 game.

Bluedog
02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
excellent stuff.

I'm a little confused in trying to figure out exactly what you are saying here, but in addition to Austin Rivers and Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee were honored as McDonald's All Americans. Rasheed Sulaimon will play in the 2012 game.

I think johnb is saying consensus top 24 players (i.e. using the same number as those selected as McDonald's All Americans). But it's a bit disingenuous to say these players hit "the McD top 24" since McD has an independent committee choosing the teams. If a player is selected, he is by definition hitting the "McD top 24." In any event, I simply read it as consensus top 24 players. McD doesn't select the top 24 always as some players are ineligible and other factors are at play (balancing positions, etc. there are only like 2 guards in the top 20 this year, for example, but the game can't only be PFs and Cs). In addition, Mason was barely out of range at 25th and his 55th ranking by Rivals skews that number tremendously. He was ranked 18th by Scout and 10th be ESPN. Andre also was ranked top 24 before he reclassified to the class of 2009. And likewise, Alex was top 20 before he reclassified as well. Duke has continued to pull in some high quality recruits even though the last few years it hasn't been consensus top 10 players as often.

Thanks for all the work putting this together Philawolf. It's definitely useful.

Philawolf
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I think johnb is saying consensus top 24 players (i.e. using the same number as those selected as McDonald's All Americans). But it's a bit disingenuous to say these players hit "the McD top 24" since McD has an independent committee choosing the teams. If a player is selected, he is by definition hitting the "McD top 24." In any event, I simply read it as consensus top 24 players. McD doesn't select the top 24 always as some players are ineligible and other factors are at play (balancing positions, etc. there are only like 2 guards in the top 20 this year, for example, but the game can't only be PFs and Cs). In addition, Mason was barely out of range at 25th and his 55th ranking by Rivals skews that number tremendously. He was ranked 18th by Scout and 10th be ESPN. Andre also was ranked top 24 before he reclassified to the class of 2009. And likewise, Alex was top 20 before he reclassified as well. Duke has continued to pull in some high quality recruits even though the last few years it hasn't been consensus top 10 players as often.

Thanks for all the work putting this together Philawolf. It's definitely useful.

You're quite welcome. Your point is well taken regarding the McD's, while I'm psyched that NC State has 3 McD's All-Americans, Tyler Lewis is a great point guard, but not one of the top 24 players in the country by any rankings I've seen.

BTW, some of you may have noticed that the 2012 rankings for ESPN and Scout are a bit out of date due to the Nerlens Noel reclassification and resulting re-rankings, but I was waiting for Rivals to update their rankings so that Noel wouldn't be ranked artificially low.

Philawolf
02-21-2012, 07:30 AM
I believe I've addressed the major latency issues that were plaguing the site for the last couple of days, but let me know if you run into any issues with the site.

Turtleboy
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
How do you scroll down past Baylor to see the rest of the schools?

Rich
02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Can you do anything about turning Shabazz Muhammad, Tony Parker, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle from green to red or blue? :rolleyes:

Philawolf
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
How do you scroll down past Baylor to see the rest of the schools?

Once you click on the dropdown, you should be able to just type the name of the school, and then use the arrow buttons. There is also a small scroll bar on the right hand side. I'll work on making this more obvious. I'm also working on a page showing the schools by conference. I'll let you know when its up.

A word of caution on the teams outside of the ACC, I haven't done roster verifications for every school yet, so if you're looking at the current roster or scholarships available numbers, they could be off.

Philawolf
02-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Can you do anything about turning Shabazz Muhammad, Tony Parker, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle from green to red or blue? :rolleyes:

Sure all you have to do is help turn Amile Jefferson from green to red or blue on the NC State page...

cbnaylor
02-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Sure all you have to do is help turn Amile Jefferson from green to red or blue on the NC State page...

I bet you wish you could go ahead and turn Cody and Caleb Martin to Red as well huh?

gam7
02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
I have a correction for you: Todd Zafirovski is on scholarship this year, so there are 5 (rather than 4) scholarships out to the junior class.

It's really interesting to see schools' different recruiting approaches reflected in the numbers. For example, Duke may have about 4 available scholarships for the 2013 class, but we have just one commit and only two scholarship offers outstanding to the two most highly sought after players in the class. Compare that with Arizona, which according to the site, will have 3 more spots to fill, has 23 outstanding offers. Even an elite program like Kansas appears to have 2 spots to fill and 16 outstanding offers.

Philawolf
02-23-2012, 06:31 AM

I fixed the "missing" issue, if you see it again let me know.

Jderf
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a correction for you: Todd Zafirovski is on scholarship this year, so there are 5 (rather than 4) scholarships out to the junior class.

It's really interesting to see schools' different recruiting approaches reflected in the numbers. For example, Duke may have about 4 available scholarships for the 2013 class, but we have just one commit and only two scholarship offers outstanding to the two most highly sought after players in the class. Compare that with Arizona, which according to the site, will have 3 more spots to fill, has 23 outstanding offers. Even an elite program like Kansas appears to have 2 spots to fill and 16 outstanding offers.

Whoa. I did not even realize that other schools recruited like that. 23 outstanding offers? That's crazy! Our all-the-eggs-in-a-few-baskets strategy is a bit more stressful, probably, but also way easier to follow.

UrinalCake
02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I wonder how many of those 23 offers are conditional, i.e. "we'll offer these three guys and take whoever accepts first." I know that Coach K has done that in the past but it doesn't seem like he has to do that much nowadays. The coaching staff invests a significant amount of time in a player before sending an offer, so they're understandably pretty selective about whom they offer.

Philawolf
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM

I'd love your input on what the chart should show for players like Todd Zafirovski, who begin their career as walk-ons, and are awarded a scholarship for their hard work / good play in practice.

All scholarships are technically renewed on an annual basis, but nearly every school who promises a kid a scholarship out of HS, honors that scholarship for the length of that players athletic eligibility. For players like Zafirovski, when they are awarded a scholarship, it is usually with the understanding that it will only be renewed if the "recruited scholarship" players (as opposed to the "recruited walk-on" players) don't use up the remaining eligible scholarships. This is typically done so that a team can go after and sign the best class of incoming freshmen that they can. Given that fact, I've not included Zafirovski (and many other players like him) in the "scholarships" numbers, as I think to do so would give a misleading picture of how many scholarships are truly available.

Thoughts?

Philawolf
02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Just an FYI for anyone that was trying to access the site earlier today, there was an issue with the company that hosts the site, that is now resolved.

Devilsfan
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Hope #13 is happy with his limited role this year because he's very athletic and can really contribute to our team next year IMO.

Papa John
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Awesome resource, Philawolf! I, too, have bookmarked it.

You've probably already seen it, but seems you can take Nerlens Noel off the board for us, as he told K thanks for the interest but he plans to go elsewhere. So it's down to Shabazz, Jefferson, or Parker. Would love to see us land Shabazz, but any of the three would be a great pickup, so let's hope one decides to join Sulaimon in next year's class. My hunch is it will most likely be Jefferson (no inside info, just a gut feeling).

Philawolf
02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Awesome resource, Philawolf! I, too, have bookmarked it.

You've probably already seen it, but seems you can take Nerlens Noel off the board for us, as he told K thanks for the interest but he plans to go elsewhere. So it's down to Shabazz, Jefferson, or Parker. Would love to see us land Shabazz, but any of the three would be a great pickup, so let's hope one decides to join Sulaimon in next year's class. My hunch is it will most likely be Jefferson (no inside info, just a gut feeling).

Thanks, I just updated Noel's status by hand, I'll have to look at why it wasn't getting updated automatically.

Oh, and I've now verified all of the rosters for the BCS schools. There might be a couple of minor corrections still, but if you wanted to start looking at other BCS schools you can be pretty confident the data is correct.

Neals384
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Really cool site. Handy not just for recruiting but also for schools current depth chart.

There doeznt seem to be a menu to navigate to the other acc schools, but if you change the 3 to 12 (in the url) you will get a yucky baby blue color displayed.

Philawolf
03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Really cool site. Handy not just for recruiting but also for schools current depth chart.

There doeznt seem to be a menu to navigate to the other acc schools, but if you change the 3 to 12 (in the url) you will get a yucky baby blue color displayed.

There should be a drop-down menu in the top right hand corner of the site to navigate to other schools. It's a little wonky, you have to click the "Go!" button next to it manually after you've selected a different school. I'm hoping to give it a nicer interface at some point.

Jim3k
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Still having access problems at 4:30 Pacific Time

Philawolf
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Still having access problems at 4:30 Pacific Time

Ugh, yeah the site was down for a bit due to my provider Heroku, who is usually pretty reliable, but have been having problems lately.

I see that you live in the East Bay, I live by the Caldecott Tunnel, if you want to grab a beer and watch the ACC tourney let me know.

Edit to add, the site appears to be back up and running now. *crossing fingers*

Philawolf
03-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Some Updates:

For those of you who were having issues with the size of the chart being too large and having to scroll left to right, I've made a fix so that viewing the page should be easier with no scrolling.

The rankings are now in lock-step with ESPN, Scout and Rivals. I've now put in place a process that checks for new rankings nightly, so they should stay in sync. I've also added the change between the current rankings and the previous rankings for each.

I've added a check for changes in the star value for each player's profile at Scout, Rivals and ESPN, so issues with the star values being "stale" for players should now be addressed.

I've added the team committed to for the player ranking pages, and addressed the issue where the 2013 rankings weren't showing up properly.

Philawolf
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Another quick update:

I've now added the twitter feeds for every ranked recruit in the 2012 and 2013 classes whose twitter account I could find, and whose twitter account was open to the public.

Philawolf
03-21-2012, 03:06 AM
For those of you who want to take their mind off of the Lehigh game, I'd thought I'd give you a quick update on the site.

I've added embedded youtube highlights (and/or interviews) on the player profile pages for every recruit ranked (either overall or at their position) in 2012, 2013, and 2014. There are a few exceptions where I couldn't find video highlights or interviews for the players, but I got >95%.

I've made some other tweaks as well for the colorblind, so the color coding has changed, I've also added a toggle feature for showing and hiding the overall and position ranks for each player, so that its easier to see the whole chart in one screen. Some other minor updates as well.

Duke | Verbal Commits (http://verbalcommits.com/schools/3)

davekay1971
03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
I continue to be impressed with what you've done. Really remarkable. Thank you!

weezie
03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Love it!
I enjoy appearing to be smarter than I actually am so this is an excellent aide for that. :)

Philawolf
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey Blue Devils,

I just did a major overhaul to the site, thought I would get some more feedback from you guys.

Duke Basketball Scholarship Chart (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/duke)

Thanks!
Philawolf
aka Paul Pettengill

miramar
07-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Philawolf,

With all the transfers and other comings and goings in college basketball, your site is the best way to keep things straight.

It's easy to see that Duke brought in what would normally be a monster class last year, except that we had a one and done, a transfer (who was promptly replaced), and two redshirts, so surprisingly enough a year later Quin Cook is the only member of the sophomore class. But there will be a two-man junior class next year, and we still have a potential monster class in Plumlee, Murphy, Sulaimon, and Jefferson.

I also had no idea that Duke was after so many recruits, but I guess that shows how much things have changed since the time when Coach K would zero in on a few recruits and manage to land most of them.

I don't know how you manage to do it, but keep up the great work.

gam7
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey Blue Devils,

I just did a major overhaul to the site, thought I would get some more feedback from you guys.

Duke Basketball Scholarship Chart (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/duke)

Thanks!
Philawolf
aka Paul Pettengill

Great work Paul. As for Duke's 2014 offer situation, I'm not sure it has been confirmed that Pinson has a Duke offer. Also, it is possible that Justise Winslow has an offer but not sure about that one either.

DukieTiger
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Philawolf,

With all the transfers and other comings and goings in college basketball, your site is the best way to keep things straight.

It's easy to see that Duke brought in what would normally be a monster class last year, except that we had a one and done, a transfer (who was promptly replaced), and two redshirts, so surprisingly enough a year later Quin Cook is the only member of the sophomore class. But there will be a two-man junior class next year, and we still have a potential monster class in Plumlee, Murphy, Sulaimon, and Jefferson.

I also had no idea that Duke was after so many recruits, but I guess that shows how much things have changed since the time when Coach K would zero in on a few recruits and manage to land most of them.

I don't know how you manage to do it, but keep up the great work.

Actually, Hood will join the MP3, Murphy, Sulaimon, Jefferson class- to make it even more of a monster class. Cook will be the only junior. Thornton, Hairston and (hopefully) Dawkins- the original trio- will be the seniors. Duke is going to have some good continuity of upperclassman leadership in the coming years. By the time Cook is the only senior, we will still hopefully have Murphy and Plumlee with 3 years in the program under their belts. I could see Sulaimon and Hood leaving early out of the current "freshman" class, but I think we'll have a great senior class of Plumlee, Murphy and Jefferson one day. That's a pretty solid frontcourt.

Philawolf
07-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Great work Paul. As for Duke's 2014 offer situation, I'm not sure it has been confirmed that Pinson has a Duke offer. Also, it is possible that Justise Winslow has an offer but not sure about that one either.

Thanks so much. I didn't see a Duke offer for Winslow on Scout, Rivals or ESPN, but if you have a link to an article showing a Winslow offer, I'd love an assist.

Scout is still showing no offer for Pinson, however Rivals and ESPN are. I've made the decision to be inclusive of offers shown on those sites rather than exclusive, so if one of those sites confirms the offer, I show it, rather than having to make sure that all 3 sites have the offer before I show it.

Rivals is reporting an offer with Duke in the lead for Pinson:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Theo-Pinson-121427

ESPN is also reporting an offer from Duke:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/117578/theo-pinson

Bob Green
07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks so much. I didn't see a Duke offer for Winslow on Scout, Rivals or ESPN, but if you have a link to an article showing a Winslow offer, I'd love an assist.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=1203249&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f120 3249.html

The class of 2014 may very well be contingent on what happens in 2013, but Duke has a few offers out. Including a very recent one to Houston area star Justise Winslow. On Tuesday the five star prospect spoke to TDD about that offer and much more.

Philawolf
07-20-2012, 12:40 AM
http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=1203249&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f120 3249.html

Thanks Bob! I've added his offer. I'm not sure why he's not showing an offer in Scout's system yet.

Philawolf
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Hey Blue Devils,

I'm in the process of updating my charts for the upcoming 2012-13 season, and I wanted to check to make sure all of your commits (Hood, Sulaimon, and Jefferson) have enrolled. I've also been tweaking the layout, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Or if there is something off on the chart too.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/duke (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/duke)

Thanks!
Paul aka Philawolf

Edit to add:

One other note, you'll notice that I've added logos for all the schools, where possible on the individual team pages I've tried to use secondary marks, on the offer lists under each player I use the primary marks for each school. That's why you see the basketball Iron Duke logo on the Duke page, as opposed to the primary Devil Iron Duke mark. I just thought it would be cool to show off every team's secondary marks on their respective pages, since they tend to get underutilized for identification purposes.

gumbomoop
09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Philawolf - Thanks for update. I think I'm right that you now need to change the HS 2013 "spots left" to 2. Maybe you forgot that Andre Dawkins is (we hope) coming back. That would make our 2013-'14 scholarship commitments: Seniors (3), Juniors (1), Sophs (5), Frosh so far (2) = 11, leaving 2 "spots left."

dukejim1
09-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Sounds like you need to add Lyles to the offered list

Philawolf
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Philawolf - Thanks for update. I think I'm right that you now need to change the HS 2013 "spots left" to 2. Maybe you forgot that Andre Dawkins is (we hope) coming back. That would make our 2013-'14 scholarship commitments: Seniors (3), Juniors (1), Sophs (5), Frosh so far (2) = 11, leaving 2 "spots left."

You're absolutely right, I need to make a coding adjustment to handle Seniors who are expecting to red-shirt the season, I'll add that to my to do list, and get back to you when its done.

Philawolf
09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Sounds like you need to add Lyles to the offered list

Done. :cool:

Philawolf
09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the catch, that issue has now been fixed.

Philawolf
09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Have all of your commits (Hood, Sulaimon, and Jefferson) enrolled and been cleared to play at Duke?