PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Boston College Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
02-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Duke travels to the Conte Forum to take on the Boston College Eagles Sunday at 6 pm. TV coverage is on ESPNU with Jon Sciambi and Hubert Davis. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205382037&DB_OEM_ID=4200
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/825416.pdf?ATCLID=205382037&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

This tidbit of information is interesting:

• The Blue Devils are currently 5-0 on the road in league play. Duke hasn’t won six straight ACC road games since the 2005-06 season.

The Moderators desire to reiterate posters are not allowed to vent in this thread if the game isn't going our way. Multiple infractions were levied against posters in the NC State In-Game Thread with some folks earning a Holiday. Please review the posting guidelines.

House G
02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I think the game against the "Powders" is on Sunday.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
I still shake my head over the fact that we have to fly to Boston for a conference game. Good grief.

Should be interesting to see if we come out focused. That seems to be easier on the road than home.

It would be really nice to see all the parts fall into place in this one. Time to start clicking!!!!!

If we get Seth taking charge (emerging), Austin willing to take the big shots (check) and continued good play from the bigs (check for the most part) we can get on a good roll as March approaches.

Go Duke!

MChambers
02-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Game is definitely Sunday.

I'm curious to see if we can shut down BC's offense. Pomeroy has BC at #263 or so on offense, but Duke's defense has been inconsistent, at best, as we all know.

Bob Green
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks to everyone for pointing out to me the game is on Sunday. It appears I am over anxious for the team to get back on the court.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for pointing out to me the game is on Sunday. It appears I am over anxious for the team to get back on the court.

You're still trying to get the whole "this side of the date line" thing down. ;>)

devildeac
02-18-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd bet that one of the reminders K and the staff have for the guys is: look what happened to f$u at BC. It could happen to us, too.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe asking a dumb question, but I assume Seth's ankle didn't swell too bad after the State game and he's good to go?

MChambers
02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe asking a dumb question, but I assume Seth's ankle didn't swell too bad after the State game and he's good to go?
A newspaper article said he practiced Friday and should be good to go, barring an unexpected setback Saturday.

sagegrouse
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Here are some musings for the BC game:

1. Will Duke pound it on the inside against the two freshmen big men, 6-8 Ryan Anderson and 7-0 Cliff Dennis?

2. Will K decree an up-tempo game, esp. on defense, against the much younger and undermanned Eagles? G Patrick Heckmann from Germany is apparently out, and BC thus has only a six-man rotation. 6-5 Matt Humphrey is the only junior playing, and 5-8 Gabe Moton is the only sophomore. All others seeing significant minutes are freshmen.

3. Will we see a Blue Devil team that is playing well from the beginning, given the lackluster play against State and Miami in the first half?

4. FSU lost because BC got hot from outside; will Duke try to deny the three and make the Eagles put the ball on the floor or pass to the inside?

Looking forward to a great game from Duke --

sagegrouse

Acymetric
02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
This may belong off topic but I'm trying to find a place to watch the game tomorrow, are there any good Duke-oriented sports bars in the Cary area (or any plain good sports bars)? Thanks in advance!

roywhite
02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
This may belong off topic but I'm trying to find a place to watch the game tomorrow, are there any good Duke-oriented sports bars in the Cary area (or any plain good sports bars)? Thanks in advance!

Lots of good sports bars in the Triangle, and some even have Duke fans.

Carolina Ale House (http://www.carolinaalehouse.com/) is IMO the best bet; there are several of them, including one in Cary.
Good food, tons of TV's, good beer selections.

gumbomoop
02-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm curious as to the team's travel schedule for this game. Do they practice this aft, then fly up tonight, or fly up tomorrow morn?

tbyers11
02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm curious as to the team's travel schedule for this game. Do they practice this aft, then fly up tonight, or fly up tomorrow morn?

In his post game interview after NCState, Coach K mentioned that they would fly up after practice on Saturday

mndukie
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
This may not be the proper place to ask this but I know the game is on ESPNU and NOT on ESPN3. Does anyone have a link a la the Georgia Tech game earlier this year?

Thanks in advance.

WakeDevil
02-18-2012, 01:20 PM
While there is a lull in the action, here is a bit of revisionist history from an NC State thread on the subject of revisionist history and how NC State used to be a power under Valvano:

Don't forget that part about Coach K almost being fired after his first 5 seasons ... only a hunch by their AD to keep him saved the future! He was constantly compared by the press to V, who was having far better success at State.

My response

No, no, no, you're wrong.

Where do you get your information? The first season was 1980-81. We call that the 1981 season in basketball language. Duke had NIT team. K missed on several big recruits. The next season was dreadful, but Duke had Alarie, Dawkins and Bilas in the pipeline. More woes in 1983. Butters gives K an extension. Read that again: an extension.

Duke makes the NCAA field in 1984. Again in 1985 in K's fifth season. Now, please link to a source that tell us Butters was about to fire K.

There is nothing controversial about this, but it makes me wonder where people get their info.

loran16
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
This may not be the proper place to ask this but I know the game is on ESPNU and NOT on ESPN3. Does anyone have a link a la the Georgia Tech game earlier this year?

Thanks in advance.

It's on ESPN3 as well. Though ESPN doesn't always show it, every game on its networks is also available on ESPN3.

Dukeface88
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
It's on ESPN3 as well. Though ESPN doesn't always show it, every game on its networks is also available on ESPN3.

Sort of. The ones not listed as "espn3" are online, but are limited to certain ISPs (Time Warner, Bright House and Verizon).

wilko
02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
No, no, no, you're wrong.

when I was a boy, Everything was right - sorry I cant help myself.

Acymetric
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Sort of. The ones not listed as "espn3" are online, but are limited to certain ISPs (Time Warner, Bright House and Verizon).

Exactly, and that is the difference between espn3 and "watchespn" which shows all games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN U (espn3 only shows some).

Bob Green
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
3. Will we see a Blue Devil team that is playing well from the beginning, given the lackluster play against State and Miami in the first half?

sagegrouse

This is the key question going forward. Will we see the team develop some consistency? My desire is to see 40 minutes of solid play.

mndukie
02-18-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm sorry, I don't mean to question you but I know for a fact the Georgia Tech game earlier this year was on ESPNU but not on ESPN3. Someone posted a link to another website (not related to ESPN) which somehow had the feed of the game.

It's nice that ESPN3 picks up every game on ESPN and ESPN2 but from what I've noticed this year ESPNU games aren't necessarily guaranteed to be streamed online.

Anyone out there remember the name of the site that carried the Georgia Tech game off hand...otherwise I'll search for it and try it tomorrow night.

Thanks

Bob Green
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Anyone out there remember the name of the site that carried the Georgia Tech game off hand...otherwise I'll search for it and try it tomorrow night.

Thanks

http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/basketball.html

Unfortunately, or fortunately according to the situation, that site has been seized by Homeland Security Investigations.

mndukie
02-18-2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/basketball.html

Unfortunately, or fortunately according to the situation, that site has been seized by Homeland Security Investigations.

Fair enough. Thanks for the ultra quick response. If anyone knows of any other options I would be extremely grateful.

nocilla
02-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for the ultra quick response. If anyone knows of any other options I would be extremely grateful.

This is where it was moved to after being seized.

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/sport/basketball.html

NSDukeFan
02-18-2012, 07:05 PM
This is the key question going forward. Will we see the team develop some consistency? My desire is to see 40 minutes of solid play.

I'm pretty sure I've already seen 40 minutes of solid play. Oh, you mean in one game.

UrinalCake
02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry, I don't mean to question you but I know for a fact the Georgia Tech game earlier this year was on ESPNU but not on ESPN3.

I think he meant that Sunday's BC game would be on ESPN3, not the GT game. And this is incorrect; the BC game is also only listed as ESPNU. Someone else mentioned that every game on ESPN is shown on ESPN3, and this is also incorrect.

I don't know of any place to watch a replay of the GT game. Maybe you can find someone who can burn it off of their DVR? Or after we win the National Championship you can buy the highlight video :)

UrinalCake
02-18-2012, 09:45 PM
4. FSU lost because BC got hot from outside; will Duke try to deny the three and make the Eagles put the ball on the floor or pass to the inside?

That's been our game plan all year and I see no reason to deviate from it now. Stay tight on the guards and deny the three even if it allows them dribble penetration. Rely on our bigs to guard their guys one on one (hopefully not by flopping) and rotate over to help as necessary.

I haven't seen BC play at all and on paper it seems like it should be an easy win, but a.) if they can beat FSU then they can beat us, and b.) if State can run over us for 30 minutes then anyone can beat us.

BluDvlsN1
02-19-2012, 07:07 AM
That's been our game plan all year and I see no reason to deviate from it now. Stay tight on the guards and deny the three even if it allows them dribble penetration. Rely on our bigs to guard their guys one on one (hopefully not by flopping) and rotate over to help as necessary.

I haven't seen BC play at all and on paper it seems like it should be an easy win, but a.) if they can beat FSU then they can beat us, and b.) if State can run over us for 30 minutes then anyone can beat us.

I would agree with this, and add, not just in this game but for the remainder of the season MP1&2 are essential to a long run!
We need them in the game not only for the offensive threat and boards which is major! We need them in the game and without the handicap of early foul trouble via, unnecessary moving screens and wrap around reach in's!
It alters the game too much as to whom is on the floor and what they can provide on defense when they are there!
And including RK all three need to be in position and play D strategically,not only with their feet but with their heads and be available in the last 10 min of the game without the handicap of early foul trouble!

No better place to start than today! We all know its there because they have shown it in spurts!
We recall the effort at VT after the bus ride and the video of great Duke defensive efforts!

It's there to be drawn on! It would be overly redundant to talk about the plethora of outside weapons we enjoy!

But this, I think, is vital for the remainder of the season, the ACC tourney, getting the seed we need,and the March run!!

IMHO

DUKIE V(A)
02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
A newspaper article said he practiced Friday and should be good to go, barring an unexpected setback Saturday.

Thanks for this information. Glad to hear Seth will be available. We need all our guys.

Bob Green
02-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Vegas has Duke as a 15 point favorite with the over/under set at 138:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

We should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 76.5-61.5 so let's take the over and call it 77-62.

DukieInBrasil
02-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry, I don't mean to question you but I know for a fact the Georgia Tech game earlier this year was on ESPNU but not on ESPN3. Someone posted a link to another website (not related to ESPN) which somehow had the feed of the game.

It's nice that ESPN3 picks up every game on ESPN and ESPN2 but from what I've noticed this year ESPNU games aren't necessarily guaranteed to be streamed online.

Thanks

theacc.com also covers games online.

moonpie23
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
who's reffing? i only ask because i'm imagining Karl Hess drooping shoulders sitting the in acc doghaus....

or him and swofford on a private jet LTAO.......

Indoor66
02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Vegas has Duke as a 15 point favorite with the over/under set at 138:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

We should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 76.5-61.5 so let's take the over and call it 77-62.

Who gets credit for the 1/2 point?

roywhite
02-19-2012, 10:04 AM

That would be for the occasion where an opposing player taps in a basket on the wrong end.

Call it the Zeller rule.

MChambers
02-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Tyler Zeller, of course.

Edit: Roy beat me to it (by less than a minute, apparently).

gumbomoop
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
.... MP1&2 are essential to a long run! We need them in the game not only for the offensive threat and boards which is major! We need them in the game and without the handicap of early foul trouble via, unnecessary moving screens and wrap around reach in's!

Amen to this point. I get my weekly dose of K via his Sat morn TV show, which is, from what I can gather, different from most coach-shows, and far more interesting, as it is thematic and provides at least some hints of "inside basketball." Yesterday's program, btw, was called something like "Road Work," about preparing for road games. Not really about upcoming game with BC; more, really, a way to show some highlights of UNC game. But K or one of the coaches did comment about how this team seemed more focused on the road than in CIS. Hope they weren't blowing smoke, as they have Boston and Tallahassee next.

On several threads, I have referred to something K said a few weeks back, about "attention to detail" with this team. Occasionally on his Sat morn show, either K, Collins, Wojo, or even one of the players will say something that indicates some detail being addressed. But thus far, I have no clue as to how, nor how often, the staff tries to work with Miles and Mason [also Josh] to address these [tag quote] ongoing problems.

My impression is that maybe the guys are doing a little better on both of these issues, but I can't say I'm confident that either Miles, Mason, or Josh has really "learned" because of intense "attention to this particular detail." IMO, Miles, Mason, and Josh still have their elbows out just a tad too far and their feet just a tad too itchy on high-screens. I do agree with BluDvlsN1 that they must continue to cut down on this particular "detail" issue. Ditto for active hands, especially in backcourt or when the opponent is not really in a scoring-threat position. Have to "attend" to these kinds of details that refs might well call; you can't be sure, so don't make refs make the call.

Plus, no more one-handed thunder-dumbs. That's another detail I sure hope the staff is strongly and repeatedly noting. I would myself be discouraged to learn that this "play" - I use the word loosely - is now accepted by our coaches as simply something that today's players are just gonna do. Virtually every time they do it - at least in the past 3 or 4 games - we miss an easy 2 points.

Attention to detail.

weezie
02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I still shake my head over the fact that we have to fly to Boston for a conference game. Good grief.

Boston will be paradise next year when the team is forced to to fly into the cloudy, snowy, icy, gray 'dismality' of Syracuse.

diveonthefloor
02-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Where do you get your information? The first season was 1980-81. We call that the 1981 season in basketball language. Duke had NIT team. K missed on several big recruits. The next season was dreadful, but Duke had Alarie, Dawkins and Bilas in the pipeline. More woes in 1983. Butters gives K an extension. Read that again: an extension.

Duke makes the NCAA field in 1984. Again in 1985 in K's fifth season. Now, please link to a source that tell us Butters was about to fire K.

There is nothing controversial about this, but it makes me wonder where people get their info.

Urban legends die hard. Good thing many of us lived through that era. (Including this dumb fool who never saw an NCAA tourney team at Duke because multiple summer sessions ----> premature early graduation.)

I had the opportunity to help interview AD Butters for the Chronicle back then. I am convinced the man was/is a genius.

Acymetric
02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
theacc.com also covers games online.

I can't find anything that shows the game on theacc.com, are you sure?

Chris Randolph
02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Game of the year for the people in Chestnut Hill. Duke coming off a game in which they invested a lot physically and emotionally. Combined with Duke's inconsistency and the fact BC has beaten a good team at home this year, I don't have a very good vibe about this one. I'm not predicting a loss but this has the feel of a game in which Duke may struggle for most of the game before pulling away with about 10 minutes to go and holding off BC in the end to win by 5-8 points.

UrinalCake
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
no more one-handed thunder-dumbs.

Not sure if this typo was intentional, but it fits perfectly. In fact, I nominate that for the remainder of the season we refer to blown dunks as "thunder dumbs."

gumbomoop
02-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Not sure if this typo was intentional, but it fits perfectly. In fact, I nominate that for the remainder of the season we refer to blown dunks as "thunder dumbs."

I swear on Roy Williams's autobiography that it was intentional. I used it 2 days ago in the NCSt postgame thread [post #118]. My point there was that I was extra-amazed at the Devils' comeback v. the Pack, given that Mason and Miles left 6 points off the scoreboard via thunder-dumbs.

To be precise, I'm referring to one-handed thunder-dumbs. It's my pettest peeve, for it's one thing to miss a shot, but quite another - unforgivable, colloquially speaking - to just throw away near-sure points for ..... what? ..... style points? I'm just as unhappy with blown 2-handed thunder-dumbs, but those seem rather less frequent than the one-handed variety, for what strikes me as obvious reasons.

I hope all this constitutes constructive criticism. K is said to tell his players the truth. Well, this is the truth, as I see it: Players who do this are dumb and dumber. Not just our guys, but anybody, anywhere, any team. Save the style points for slam-dunk competitions. When playing basketball, it's best to play winning basketball.

hq2
02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Game of the year for the people in Chestnut Hill. Duke coming off a game in which they invested a lot physically and emotionally. Combined with Duke's inconsistency and the fact BC has beaten a good team at home this year, I don't have a very good vibe about this one. I'm not predicting a loss but this has the feel of a game in which Duke may struggle for most of the game before pulling away with about 10 minutes to go and holding off BC in the end to win by 5-8 points.

Sounds about right. BC's not that good, but they did beat Florida State, so they can do something. Probably we'll play kind of blah most of the
way through, wake up in the middle of the second half with the game still close, realize we have to do something, and find a way to pull it out.

UrinalCake
02-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Agree abou the one handed dunks. There are times when the two handed dunk is actually a better play then a layup, and I remember always begging zoubek to take it strong to the hole. But one-handed dunks are unnecessarily risky. The only thing you gain is the psychological component of dominating your opponent, which does have value and also can get the crowd involved (or silence the opponent's crowd). But the bottom line is you need to get those two points.

mattman91
02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry if this has already been brought up...but is this game streaming online anywhere? I tried finding it on ESPN3 but i didn't see it listed anywhere.

Bob Green
02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/108785/1/watch-%284%29-duke-vs-boston-college.html

mattman91
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks Bob!

riverside6
02-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10578

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Should be interesting to see if we come out focused. That seems to be easier on the road than home.

It would be really nice to see all the parts fall into place in this one. Time to start clicking!!!!!

If we get Seth taking charge (emerging), Austin willing to take the big shots (check) and continued good play from the bigs (check for the most part) we can get on a good roll as March approaches.

Go Duke!

I am thinking that K and the staff have been pounding it into the team for the last three days that "you can't dig youyrselves a hole every time and expect to get out of it late." Also, this game is away from Cameron, which seems to somehow generate better early focus from us this year. So, I'm looking for a good start out of the Devils tonight. I also expect that, ikf the three is BC's secret weapon - i.e. best chance of staying wioth Duke - then K will have a strategy to take that weapon away from them. I am thinking Duke runs away with this one. We sure could USE an easy one, heading to FSU next week...

gumbomoop
02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Agree about the one handed dunks. There are times when the two handed dunk is actually a better play then a layup

Again just to clarify a little: I agree with you that the 2-handed dunk is often a much better play than a layup. It's the thunder variety that is, IMO, a poor play. Thundering must throw off the timing pretty regularly. So I'm claiming thunder = dumb; hence, thunder-dumbs.

I do not expect this single issue will decide the game that begins soon. Beyond just wanting our guys to win, I hope to see [what all EK posters want to see.....] energy out of the gate, solid defense, blocking out and strong rebounding, focus, getting the ball inside, not settling for, but making some, 3s.

Bluedog
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Only the second game all year with 8,000+ in attendance at the Conte Forum. The other was Harvard. The largest crowd for an ACC game was vs. Ga Tech and Miami, both with ~5,800. Duke really brings the crowd! Let's go Duke!

anon
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Black uniforms — commence whining!

DukeGirl4ever
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Who are the officials? I haven't had a good look to see who they are?

Hope Miles is ok. I love having MP1 and MP2 in the game together.

loran16
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
I think we have the worst luck ever. 25% 3 point shooter hits his first two threes easy, and the Refs DONT EVEN REVIEW AN ELBOW TO THE FACE THAT WAS BLATANT.

Last year, pursuant to the new rule that even inadvertant elbows to face were technical fouls, they reviewed EVERY potential elbow. This year, and we saw this in Miami-UNC also, the refs are completely ignoring them. It's just unbelievable.

1 24 90
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Who are the officials? I haven't had a good look to see who they are?

Hope Miles is ok. I love having MP1 and MP2 in the game together.

Jamie Luckie is one of them and Karl Hess is not one of them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Uh oh... Miles on the bench with a destroyed face and Mason with two fouls in four minutes.

Time for Kelly and Hairston and Gbinije to step up, or we could be in for a long night.

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Uh oh... Miles on the bench with a destroyed face and Mason with two fouls in four minutes.

Time for Kelly and Hairston and Gbinije to step up, or we could be in for a long night.

Yeah, and karl hess just showed up and ejected kelly and hairston....we might be in trouble.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah, and karl hess just showed up and ejected kelly and hairston....we might be in trouble.

At least they are eligible for ejection. I think Hess would be more likely to eject Doc...

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
At least they are eligible for ejection. I think Hess would be more likely to eject Doc...

Well, he tried to eject the other officials, but they would have none of it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
For a full house, that stadium isn't exactly hoppin'

At least, not that you can hear on TV. Weird.

gep
02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
the game is also on www.justin.tv

loran16
02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Miles is back thankfully.

And Quinn.....cmon man.....since the Miami game he's on an incredible streak of poor decisions....Very disappointing....I'm not a TT fan, but seriously, if you're going to take those shots Quinn, you should never be in the game ahead of one of the other 4 guards.

anon
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Miles is back thankfully.

And Quinn.....cmon man.....since the Miami game he's on an incredible streak of poor decisions....Very disappointing....I'm not a TT fan, but seriously, if you're going to take those shots Quinn, you should never be in the game ahead of one of the other 4 guards.

You're not a fan of Tyler Thornton? :confused:

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Another one-handed "dumb."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
These one-handed near jams aren't very endearing... At least we got fouled on that one.

I'm just glad he's back on the floor!

TNDukeFan
02-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Good to see Duke getting 5-second calls and forcing mistakes like that travel in the lane (which could have been 3 seconds too).

MartyClark
Nice drive by Austin. I sure like his toughness.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
I'd love to see us take control here and win this one going away.

Furniture
02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I like the way the boys have started today......

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM

I disagree, this is a pretty atrocious offensive showing so far...by both teams

mason has 3 fouls already

defense is playing better than they played all of last game, at least!

Furniture
Time to go on a run.....

MartyClark

Pretty good D and enthusiasm but a bit disjointed on offense.

Dukeface88
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Excellent defense since the first tv time-out, but the offense is looking kinda sloppy.

Edit: Ninja'd

throatybeard
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Black uniforms — commence whining!

I think these are nearly as heinous as the space age recycled platinum space dust uniforms. The problem is that the shrinky dink gothic overlay doesn't work nearly as well with black as it does with white or even blue.

DukeGirl4ever
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
We should be up by 15 right now. We need more inside-out play and ball movement. Offense is stagnant.

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
We should be up by 15 right now. We need more inside-out play and ball movement. Offense is stagnant.

mason on the bench is a huge reason for that, i think.

DukeGirl4ever
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree with that. Offense was stagnant when he was in the game. They'd feed the post and MP2 would shoot or get a kick for a 3, but we STILL need more ball movement than that. One pass out of the double team for a shot works great when you're making 'em, but we haven't made BC play all that hard on defense. Ball reversal and more than 2-3 passes on offense will help that.

Son of Mojo
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Anyone explain how Seth getting bumped leading to the ball going into the backcourt was not a foul but Miles, with his hands up moving with the ballhandler, was called for one? Not terping, but that was two bad calls............

Dukeface88
Kyrie commercial!

BlueDster
So Seth gets knocked over by a hedge on a screen and there's no foul, yet Miles hedging on a screen that doesn't affect the BC player's dribble and there's no foul? Coach K asked the refs what the difference was, and I don't know either.

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM

I agree. Three quick fouls will wreak havok on a guy's inside game. Gotta watch bigs' foul trouble...

Gotta like our defensive effort to this point. Now start converting on O better.

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with that. Offense was stagnant when he was in the game. They'd feed the post and MP2 would shoot or get a kick for a 3, but we STILL need more ball movement than that. One pass out of the double team for a shot works great when you're making 'em, but we haven't made BC play all that hard on defense. Ball reversal and more than 2-3 passes on offense will help that.

That's fair. I think, though, without him being in the game it makes it even harder to make that switch. Coach K can say "go inside, more movement"...but I think mason is a catalyst in that respect.

So they might not have been doing it while he was in, but i don't think they can start doing it with him out.

DukeGirl4ever
02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
That's fair. I think, though, without him being in the game it makes it even harder to make that switch. Coach K can say "go inside, more movement"...but I think mason is a catalyst in that respect.

So they might not have been doing it while he was in, but i don't think they can start doing it with him out.

Again, fair enough! HA! :) I definitely agree with what you're saying. Mason does help with that as he creates double teams in the paint.

MartyClark
02-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Other than Austin, a very poor offensive half. We should be able to pound it down and score on these guys. I don't get it.

Ggallagher
02-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice TWO hand dunk - Go Devils

DukeGirl4ever
02-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Umm? WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT MILES?
That was a thing of beauty!

Much better play with the under 4 timeout. I still believe we are better off with both Plumlees in the game. Hopefully Mason can play with 3 for a bit and not pick up his 4th.

lotusland
I liked our energy in the first half and the offense started clicking finally at the end of the half.

dairedevil
Nice way to end the half...great followup dunk, Miles! Wish you'd do that more often :)

kingboozer
I don't know why we've been so cold from the 3 pt line lately, we got to step that up come March

uh_no
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Umm? WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT MILES?
That was a thing of beauty!

Much better play with the under 4 timeout. I still believe we are better off with both Plumlees in the game. Hopefully Mason can play with 3 for a bit and not pick up his 4th.

that was miles channeling his inner blake griffin

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice TWO hand dunk - Go Devils

Yes, more like that!!

Way to finish out the half. Liked the two-for-one time management at the end of the half.

Keep it rolling guys! Let's get Mason back in. Work it inside.

lotusland
02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Other than Austin, a very poor offensive half. We should be able to pound it down and score on these guys. I don't get it.

I thought Seth and AR played well too

moonpie23
02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
ugly ugly ............gotta get some rhythm going.....

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Halftime boxscore:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320500103

The BC bench has zero pts and zero rebounds.

Ryan Kelly is a zero so far. Expecting Mason to make an impact in 2nd half.

Duke shooting % is poor, but BC is worse. Thank goodness BC missing their FT's.

Duke Blue Devils
STARTERS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Austin Rivers, G 5-8 2-4 0-0 0 3 0 0 0 1 1 12
Miles Plumlee, F 3-4 0-0 1-3 2 5 1 0 0 2 1 7
Seth Curry, G 2-4 2-3 0-0 2 2 1 0 0 4 0 6
Mason Plumlee, F 1-3 0-0 1-1 1 1 0 0 0 2 3 3
Tyler Thornton, G 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
BENCH FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Andre Dawkins, G 1-5 0-3 0-0 0 3 0 0 0 1 1 2
Josh Hairston, F 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0
Ryan Kelly, F 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0
Quinn Cook, G 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0
Marshall Plumlee, F 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
TOTALS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
12-27 4-11 2-4 5 18 5 0 1 11 9 30
44.4% 36.4% 50.0%

Boston College Eagles
Ryan Anderson, F 3-6 2-3 1-2 2 7 0 0 0 2 0 9
Matt Humphrey, G 2-4 2-4 2-2 0 1 1 1 0 3 1 8
Jordan Daniels, G 2-4 0-2 0-0 0 1 2 0 0 1 0 4
Lonnie Jackson, G 0-2 0-2 0-0 0 0 1 1 0 3 1 0
Dennis Clifford, C 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 0
Deirunas Visockas, G 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
Gabe Moton, G 0-2 0-1 0-1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Danny Rubin, G 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
John Cahill, G 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
KC Caudill, C 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
7-22 4-14 3-5 2 10 4 3 0 9 7 21
31.8% 28.6% 60.0%

Saratoga2
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I cannot see the game, but noticed on GT that Ryan didn't seem to get a single shot off in the half. We also had at least 8 TO's with 3 on Seth. Is BC dooing something defensively to cause the turnovers? Our defense was either very good or BC just couldn't hit their 3 point shots. Don't know the cause and effect there. Hope the offense picks up in the second half and we get more involvement from Mason and Ryan.

MChambers
02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I cannot see the game, but noticed on GT that Ryan didn't seem to get a single shot off in the half. We also had at least 8 TO's with 3 on Seth. Is BC dooing something defensively to cause the turnovers? Our defense was either very good or BC just couldn't hit their 3 point shots. Don't know the cause and effect there. Hope the offense picks up in the second half and we get more involvement from Mason and Ryan.
Defense was very good after the first few minutes. Most of BC's 3s were not great shots.

westwall
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Halftime boxscore:

Duke shooting % is atrocious. Thank goodness BC missing their FT's.

Duke Blue Devils
44.4% 36.4% 50.0%

Boston College Eagles
31.8% 28.6% 60.0%

When?? If so, I missed it

heifer
02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
not able to watch the game. is the halftime boxscore right? did marshall get in the game?

Halftime boxscore:

Duke shooting % is poor, but BC is worse. Thank goodness BC missing their FT's.

Duke Blue Devils
44.4% 36.4% 50.0%

Boston College Eagles
31.8% 28.6% 60.0%

uh_no
02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
When?? If so, I missed it

no. Their in game box scores are often wrong.....they had him listed as playing on thursday as well during the game

MartyClark
02-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Austin doesn't seem to get the calls. Nice drive and basket but he definitely got fouled on the way in.

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 07:20 PM
no. Their in game box scores are often wrong.....they had him listed as playing on thursday as well ruing the game

ESPN just lists everyone on the team, in theory, but MP3 shows all zeroes...

-bdbd
02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Curry is good at drawing fouls at the arc, for a 4-pt play.
Uh-oh, holding his shoulder...

This is starting to look like a comfortable lead, going down the stretch. BC just has no offensive rhythm. And Duke dominating the boards. I like the scrapping, effort this game.

MChambers
02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Curry is good at drawing fouls at the arc, for a 4-pt play.
Uh-oh, holding his shoulder...
Left shoulder. Didn't look all that bad.

bluedevil31
02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I haven't heard anything official but didn't they red shirt Marshall?

MChambers
02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I haven't heard anything official but didn't they red shirt Marshall?

Espn boxes are always wrong. Don't worry about it.

dairedevil
02-19-2012, 07:35 PM
is a lot more pleasant to read when Duke has a big lead...

1 24 90
02-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I would like to make a motion to give Gbinije some playing time right about now.

KenTankerous
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Seconded.

Who has K's cell phone so we can let him know we decided? Or Wojo's? Either one, doesn't matter.

1 24 90
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Gbinije!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron
02-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Austin is a tremendous scorer, but somebody needs to inform him that he can't shoot a three-pointer on an inbounds pass.

:D

dairedevil
02-19-2012, 08:01 PM
To all the folks complaining about the Cameron Crazies...have you noticed how quiet it's been in Boston tonight? Their cheerleaders weren't even doing anything but sitting on the endlines.