PDA

View Full Version : Changes for watching the 2012 NCAA Tournament online

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Yesterday, CBS/Turner announced some changes to the online viewing for this year's tourney that probably won't be terribly popular. I've read through several articles and think I have a clear understanding, but it seams needlessly complicated and it's going to confuse people.

-Changed the name to NCAA March Madness Live (formerly MMOD) and added a one time $3.99 fee for those who want to watch on Android or iOS devices
-Free streaming on PCs is available for CBS games
-Free streaming on PCs for games on Turner channels (TBS, TNT, TruTV) need to be authenticated. This basically means you have to have that channel as part of you pay TV lineup. This is part of their TV Anywhere initiative.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-02-16/march-madness-live-unveiled
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-02-13/march-madness-live-faq

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/more-free-web-tv-disappears-some-march-madness-games-will-go-behind-paywall/
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/a-new-twist-for-viewing-the-n-c-a-a-tournament-online/

[EDIT] One thing I still haven't seen clearly addressed is if one can authenicate and watch on a mobile device for free. I don't think so, but the Turner product manager quoted in several articles keeps saying that the fee is there to push people to authenticate. We'll see.

gus
02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Yesterday, CBS/Turner announced some changes to the online viewing for this year's tourney that probably won't be terribly popular. I've read through several articles and think I have a clear understanding, but it seams needlessly complicated and it's going to confuse people.

-Changed the name to NCAA March Madness Live (formerly MMOD) and added a one time $3.99 fee for those who want to watch on Android or iOS devices
-Free streaming on PCs is available for CBS games
-Free streaming on PCs for games on Turner channels (TBS, TNT, TruTV) need to be authenticated. This basically means you have to have that channel as part of you pay TV lineup. This is part of their TV Anywhere initiative.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-02-16/march-madness-live-unveiled
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-02-13/march-madness-live-faq

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/more-free-web-tv-disappears-some-march-madness-games-will-go-behind-paywall/
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/a-new-twist-for-viewing-the-n-c-a-a-tournament-online/

[EDIT] One thing I still haven't seen clearly addressed is if one can authenicate and watch on a mobile device for free. I don't think so, but the Turner product manager quoted in several articles keeps saying that the fee is there to push people to authenticate. We'll see.

Thanks for posting this.

I can't imagine paying to watch on my AT&T phone. I can barely get a connection to send texts, let alone stream a game.

nocilla
02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Am I understanding this correctly? So, the games that are on CBS that everyone can watch even if all they have is rabbit ears on the tv, are available to watch online on their pc for free. The games that are only available through the cable networks that not everyone has, are not available to watch online.

So what is the purpose of streaming it online? Why would anyone want to watch it online when they could just watch it on the tv? The people that would watch it online because it's not on their tv, don't have access to it.

mbd1mbd1
02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
So what is the purpose of streaming it online? Why would anyone want to watch it online when they could just watch it on the tv? The people that would watch it online because it's not on their tv, don't have access to it.

Because when I'm at work, I can't just watch it on the TV. But I can watch on my PC.

blazindw
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Because when I'm at work, I can't just watch it on the TV. But I can watch on my PC.

Believe it or not, 2 years ago I was at a hotel in Denver, Colorado that had 70 channels but did NOT have CBS or ESPN. MMOD worked out perfectly for me to watch the Selection Show and the play-in games.

nocilla
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Okay, that makes sense. Although for a lot of people, myself included, the cbs sites are all blocked on the company computers. Seems like a pretty small market that would use it.

MulletMan
02-17-2012, 01:13 PM

From what I've read, you can indeed watch/authenticate on a phone or tablet IF your cable plan/provider has TruTV, TNT and TBS in your paid for tier. This will not cost you extra.

What I am wondering is if your cable provider has to provide an interface (like Time Warner does).

Bluedog
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Although for a lot of people, myself included, the cbs sites are all blocked on the company computers. Seems like a pretty small market that would use it.

The number of people who watch NCAA basketball games at work is not a small market! ;) Just look at the loss in productivity numbers that have been published, haha. But I agree that those at home likely wouldn't use a computer if they're already subscribers to the networks. Some people, though, like to watch more than one game at once, so they can have their TV on one channel and be streaming another game on their computer.

UrinalCake
02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
This is similar to ESPN's model for their WatchESPN channel feeds (which are different than their individual game feeds). Basically they're losing money to people who are dropping their cable TV and only keeping high-speed internet. Simultaneously they're having to support huge amounts of bandwidth for all of this live streaming. So in order to protect their costs they're only making the premium content (in this case the cable channel feeds) available to people who are also paying for cable TV.

This is really unfortunately, I depend on these online feeds! I'd be curious to know how much revenue they generate from the commercials that are shown inside the online stream. Maybe it will eventually be enough to cover the costs of the stream.

UrinalCake
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
If I read the second and third links correctly, even if you are not a paid TV subscriber you can still pay the $3.99 and access everything from both your mobile device AND your PC. I hope I read this correctly. That's not bad at all, four bucks to watch the whole tournament.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-17-2012, 02:05 PM
From what I've read, you can indeed watch/authenticate on a phone or tablet IF your cable plan/provider has TruTV, TNT and TBS in your paid for tier. This will not cost you extra.

What I am wondering is if your cable provider has to provide an interface (like Time Warner does).

I know we have weeks before the tournament, but this is why it's going to confuse people. The more I've read, I'm thinking that the $3.99 is necessary if you want to watch on an iPad, iPhone, Android phone, or other mobile device.

And I use the online viewing to supplement my TV watching. I can watch one primary game and follow the other games happening at the same time. It's like my own little sports bar without the $5 beers.

gam7
02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Am I understanding this correctly? So, the games that are on CBS that everyone can watch even if all they have is rabbit ears on the tv, are available to watch online on their pc for free. The games that are only available through the cable networks that not everyone has, are not available to watch online.

I don't think rabbit ears serve any purpose anymore since the move to all-digital, right? I'm getting old...

MulletMan
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
And I use the online viewing to supplement my TV watching. I can watch one primary game and follow the other games happening at the same time. It's like my own little sports bar without the $5 beers.

Same. I figure it doesn't really matter, to be honest. I'm ponying up the $4 if I have to. Of course, I'll be expecting better streaming quality with that, but I doubt that's happening.

COYS
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't think rabbit ears serve any purpose anymore since the move to all-digital, right? I'm getting old...

Rabbit ears don't work, but you can get cheap digital antennas that receive the same stations rabbit ears used to get . . . except you get it in high quality HD. My wife and I got rid of cable a while back. I stream all the Duke games on WatchESPN or, if it's on CBS, I watch it on the TV. Honestly, I don't miss cable one bit.

nocilla
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM

I think you can still use rabbit ears. You just have to have a digital tv or a digital reciever to convert the signal. The signal is still picked up the same way as far as I know.

*I stand corrected. I have an antenna on the roof but apparently it is a digital antenna. I sometimes miss cable when the online stream isn't very good, but when I think of the $70/month I am saving I get over it.

gus
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Rabbit ears don't work, but you can get cheap digital antennas that receive the same stations rabbit ears used to get . . . except you get it in high quality HD. My wife and I got rid of cable a while back. I stream all the Duke games on WatchESPN or, if it's on CBS, I watch it on the TV. Honestly, I don't miss cable one bit.

A growing number of people don't own TVs. I'm one of those.

Isn't WatchESPN limited to people with subscriptions with participating cable providers?

MCFinARL
02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
A growing number of people don't own TVs. I'm one of those.

Isn't WatchESPN limited to people with subscriptions with participating cable providers?

Just the question I was going to ask--how can you get Watchespn if you don't have cable? I can't even get watchespn if I am not accessing the internet through my FIOS connection, because there is no way (at least that I know of) to authenticate from a different location.

Which raises a question about the tournament streaming--does anybody know if the authentication process will allow me to get games online if I'm not at home, and thus not accessing the internet through Verizon?

tbyers11
02-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Just the question I was going to ask--how can you get Watchespn if you don't have cable? I can't even get watchespn if I am not accessing the internet through my FIOS connection, because there is no way (at least that I know of) to authenticate from a different location.

Which raises a question about the tournament streaming--does anybody know if the authentication process will allow me to get games online if I'm not at home, and thus not accessing the internet through Verizon?

I have used WatchESPN on my iPad at my home (BrightHouse), my in-laws (Verizon) and my parents (Charter) without any issues. I had to authenticate the first time at home but have never had to re-authenticate since.

As for using WatchESPN without cable I'm stumped. I thought you needed a cable subscription.

blazindw
02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I have used WatchESPN on my iPad at my home (BrightHouse), my in-laws (Verizon) and my parents (Charter) without any issues. I had to authenticate the first time at home but have never had to re-authenticate since.

As for using WatchESPN without cable I'm stumped. I thought you needed a cable subscription.

For WatchESPN/ESPN3, you only need a broadband subscription. I was able to access it for the couple weeks I had internet but no cable...it's because I had an account with Comcast or RCN or FIOS or whatever my internet was running through. I know others that didn't have TV but, through their broadband provider, had ESPN3/WatchESPN.

Also, I know that TBS and TNT have iPhone apps where you can watch things on demand (their version of HBO GO)...I wonder if that's how you would be able to authenticate your subscription to watch the games for free on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I'm not sure if CBS has an app yet, but I imagine that either you'd authenticate through there or there will be a way on the new March Madness Live app to authenticate when it's released.

DaleDuke7
02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I have watch espn on my iPhone and did not have to authenticate at home. I just used my username and password to cable to authenticate. As for not having cable and still having acces to watch espn, I am not very sure of that. Would be interesting to know though.

UrinalCake
02-18-2012, 09:32 PM
This has been discussed before and I'm hoping the mods create a sticky. There are two separate services. WatchESPN is the umbrella under which ESPN provides its online content. Viewers who also have a TV subscription can access everything, which are mirrors of their TV broadcast channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) streamed online.

ESPN3 is a separate service. It's confusing because the web address is http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/ so the ESPN3 service is easily confused with WatchESPN. ESPN3 provides feeds of individual games. This is a subset of the content that is shown on their main channels. To access ESPN3 you do NOT need a TV subscription, but you do need to use an ISP that supports ESPN3. Many ISP's do not. ESPN will decide on a weekly basis which games to stream on ESPN3. Almost all of the Duke games have been covered, and afterwards they remain available for replay for several weeks. Sometimes games get blacked out in certain regions, but they are always available for replay everywhere.

So it looks like CBS will show make their main CBS network feed available online to everyone. TV subscribers will also be able to access the online streams of the cable channels as long as their ISP supports it. Non-TV subscribers will have to pay the $4 to get the streams of the cable channels.

MulletMan
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Gang,

I was looking into the online streaming stuff today and found the FAQ link off the NCAA website:

Link here. (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-02-13/march-madness-live-faq)

The long and short of it is that once you pay your $3.99 you can watch the live streams on multiple devices (phone, tablet, laptop). Also interesting is that it says that you will be able to watch games synced with the radio feeds! How sweet it is!

CDu
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
For WatchESPN/ESPN3, you only need a broadband subscription. I was able to access it for the couple weeks I had internet but no cable...it's because I had an account with Comcast or RCN or FIOS or whatever my internet was running through. I know others that didn't have TV but, through their broadband provider, had ESPN3/WatchESPN.

This is only true if your broadband provider allows it. Time Warner Cable, for example, only allows you access to ESPN3 if you have both their RoadRunner broadband AND a cable package with them. For folks like me who have RoadRunner but DirecTV (or Dish), we're S.O.L. when it comes to ESPN3.

If you don't have a TV (and thus presumably aren't wasting money on a cable plan), you may very well not be allowed access to ESPN3. I don't know if that same holds for watching tournament games.

And as to the question of whether or not the "have a cable plan but will be watching via computer" market is large, I'm guessing that a substantial portion of the viewing market will be doing so online from their offices on Thursday and Friday. It's not by any means a small market.

Atlanta Duke
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM

You apparently have a very compassionate IT department at your place of employment that does not track down anyone hogging bandwidth by streaming video for several hours:)

newBlue23
03-07-2012, 09:18 PM
For a limited time, Coke Zero is offering free promotional codes for the online service. Here is an article breaking down the steps. I've tried it already and it works, but the promotion only lasts a couple more days.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Coke-Zero-Kicks-Off-NCAA-March-Madness-Promo-48386669

For those that don't want to read the article all you have to do is text "oDuke" to the number 2653.
They will then reply with a code and direct you to a website where you can register for it

lotusland
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM

I have a digital antenna and internet DSL through AT&T which affords me access to ESPN3 games. I don't miss cable either because my kids aren't glued to sponge bob - not there's anything wrong with it - 24/7 and I don't get sucked into wasting 45 minutes channel surfing only to learn that there is nothing on. I also have Netflix access through the Wii and Both Netflix and Hulu through my Blueray DVD player. I love watching older season program episodes back to back that way .

What I wonder is, with all the online streaming advancements, will we see consolidation or splintering of access to sportscasts online. I've heard and read it suggested that the eventual result of super conferences will be that the conferences will control access to sports broadcasts whether on television or online. So you will need the ACC network to watch ACC games and the SEC network to watch their games, etc. ESPN and the networks may have broadcast rights outside the Conference viewing area only. Probably every cable provider in the conference viewing area would offer the conference network and would likely raise the rate modestly for every household. A concern is further splintering of the conferences. For instance if NC State joined the SEC then most cable providers in NC would add the SEC network. Therefore SEC network would gain millions of subscribers and the ACC network wouldn't necessarily lose any. It actually makes more sense to scatter the conference teams over the largest number of states possible in that regard.

Internet is another variable completely. Do the conferences only allow streaming by the cable network subscribers to encourage cable usage ala Watch ESPN? Or will you be able to buy a complete Interent access subscription to the conference network? I also hear rumors that Apples' next innovation may be the iTV. I've learned that I usually learn to need Apples innovations even if I can't imagine why initially. Will they do for television what iTunes did for the music industry? Will I be able to buy a subscrption to FX so I can watch Justified without having to buy a package of 100 other channels that I don't want?

I'd be interested to learn what insiders and more technically kowledgeable folks think. Maybe someone qualified could start a thread either in EK or Off-Topic.

DukeCrow
03-13-2012, 01:25 AM
For a limited time, Coke Zero is offering free promotional codes for the online service. Here is an article breaking down the steps. I've tried it already and it works, but the promotion only lasts a couple more days.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Coke-Zero-Kicks-Off-NCAA-March-Madness-Promo-48386669

For those that don't want to read the article all you have to do is text "oDuke" to the number 2653.
They will then reply with a code and direct you to a website where you can register for it

I think that should be 0Duke (that's the number zero not the letter O). I've tried this, and it works. While supplies last.

Thanks for the post!

UrinalCake
03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
So I got the March Madness package from ncaa.com (http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness). It was really easy to sign up - choose a login and password, then pay $4.27 after taxes using a credit card or paypal. You immediately have access to all 67 games, including streaming to your PC, iPhone, or Android device. There's additional content such as post-game press conferences and highlights, and after the game is over you can view a replay. And if just watching the game isn't enough, you can choose to adorn your screen with live stats, twitter feeds, game trends, etc. All in all a pretty nice package. There was also an option to listen to the radio broadcast, but I did not see a way to synchronize this with the video. It only plays the audio with no video. And I have no idea where this feed comes from.

Quality-wise, I'd say it was a notch below ESPN3 and a notch above theacc.com. There was some blockiness due to the compression which was obvious in full-screen mode on my 24" monitor, but overall the viewing experience was ok. You won't mistake it for a TV broadcast, but if you've got it in a smaller window while doing other stuff (i.e., "work") on your computer then you probably won't notice any problems at all.

I also downloaded the iPhone app and tried watching on my iPhone4 connected to my local wireless. Again there was some visible compression artifacts. I only watched for about 10 minutes and there was one stretch where it got really blurry for about a minute, to the extent that you couldn't read the scores or see where the ball was. I have to wonder what the quality will be like for some of the more popular games where the servers will be hit much harder.

I know people will complain about having to pay for this when it's been offered for free in years past, but given the way the market is constantly changing I think it's a pretty good deal. For those of us without TV's and/or without cable it's a no-brainer. Hopefully things will get to the point where the advertising will be enough to pay for the service and it can be offered for free again. I'm a little surprised that online streaming of live sporting events doesn't bring in more ad money - you've got a mostly young, male, tech savvy audience who are already sitting there in front of their computers. Seems like a marketing gold mine to me...

loran16
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Can anyone help me here?

I was under the impression from the press that you could access the new MMOD if you had access through your cable provider to TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc. But when I go to the website, all I see is the option to pay, not any option to authorize your cable access.

Anyone know what to do?

SCMatt33
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Can anyone help me here?

I was under the impression from the press that you could access the new MMOD if you had access through your cable provider to TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc. But when I go to the website, all I see is the option to pay, not any option to authorize your cable access.

Anyone know what to do?

I think I remember that you can watch games on each networks site, but you can't get the full mod to go back and forth between games at will

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, from the FAQ on the main page:

• Turner will stream its linear television games online for free on an authenticated basis on the Turner websites (TBS.com, TNT.tv and truTV.com) for consumers who have a cable, satellite or telco subscription that includes these respective Turner networks. Authenticating this year’s Tournament across the Turner Networks is an extension of the company’s TV Everywhere initiative, which is currently available to more than 75 million households.

• All games airing on CBS will be available for free on CBSSports.com.

I don't see where the link is to live video on the CBS page, but maybe it will come up once the games start. On the other three it's easy to find.

loran16
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I think I remember that you can watch games on each networks site, but you can't get the full mod to go back and forth between games at will

Yep this is right. Thanks Matt.

Yeah, from the FAQ on the main page:

I don't see where the link is to live video on the CBS page, but maybe it will come up once the games start. On the other three it's easy to find.

CBS is here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/live/ncaamarchmadness?ttag=MML12_cbs_marq_0002

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I know this thread is about online viewing. But what the heck is up with CBS HD broadcast? I am on Time Warner, watching CBS HD channel. And the picture is very grainy - rally horrendous. What gives? Are they not really broadcasting in HD?

ice-9
03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Very disappointed the tournament is blacked out internationally after it was available the last few years.

Oh well, thankfully I have a proxy server.

Also, given we are paying for this service (I am anyway) why are there still ads??

Jderf
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I know this thread is about online viewing. But what the heck is up with CBS HD broadcast? I am on Time Warner, watching CBS HD channel. And the picture is very grainy - rally horrendous. What gives? Are they not really broadcasting in HD?

Ahh, Time Warner. The only positive thing about moving away from the triangle since graduation is that I don't have to put up with that pathetic company and their sorry excuse for a product. In my experience, it really was a shamefully terrible service. Frequent disruptions, defective and slow cable boxes, terrible customer support, inexplicably poor feeds -- unfortunately, with them that's the norm.

Good riddance.

Eidt: Well, that rant waited a seriously long time for its day in the sun :)

superdave
03-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I paid $3.99 and I still get frozen out of switching from game to game during commercials. It's like CBS is too stupid to be consumer friendly.

If game #1 goes into a timeout and the broadcast cuts to commercial, I'm frozen from changing to another game and I have to watch the commercial break. How does it make sense to charge customers to watch commercials?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I paid $3.99 and I still get frozen out of switching from game to game during commercials. It's like CBS is too stupid to be consumer friendly.

If game #1 goes into a timeout and the broadcast cuts to commercial, I'm frozen from changing to another game and I have to watch the commercial break. How does it make sense to charge customers to watch commercials?

Because it's the only method dinosaurs can think of to make money.

Jderf
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
How does it make sense to charge customers to watch commercials?

I'm with you on this one, but when you think about it, Cable companies have been doing this for decades.

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, they definitely don't want people switching during commercials. That would defeat the purpose of having the commercials to begin with.

Maybe you could open more than one instance of the MMOD app and just switch between the windows? If it won't let you have multiple instances, try opening one in Firefox and one in IE or whatever. You'll be hogging bandwidth, but can take pleasure in sticking in to the man 8-)

Also re: jderf's rant, I used to have time warner and our cable/DVR box would bite the dust every 3-4 months. One time we had to have three different installers come because the new box would fail as soon as he left. The last guy told us that he had done 15 installations that day, all of whom had the exact same problem. Time Warner new that their hardware was a piece of junk but it was easier/cheaper to just keep replacing them, despite the inconvenience it caused their customers, than to upgrade to a better piece of equipment.

superdave
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I was able to open up two different MMOD consoles. I just cant figure out how to mute one of the two.

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I was able to open up two different MMOD consoles. I just cant figure out how to mute one of the two.

What happens when you mute one using the volume control in the bottom right?

Acymetric
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
So just to be clear, if I pay the $3.99 I still do not get access to games on TruTV, TBS, or TNT through NCAA MMOD if I don't have a cable provider, correct?

tommy
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Sorry about the above post. Hopefully the mods can delete it. I get the "wanker" messages inserted when I post using Safari, and I forgot about that. Sorry.

What I meant to ask is, being at work and on a work computer, so no access to tru tv or tbs, is there anything I can do other than just watch the cbssports.com, and whatever game they happen to be showing? No ability to switch between games? And worst, I now have a screen that says "No Games Scheduled Right Now" even though several games are being played right now. I just have to wait for . . . what exactly? Help!

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 11:33 PM
So just to be clear, if I pay the $3.99 I still do not get access to games on TruTV, TBS, or TNT through NCAA MMOD if I don't have a cable provider, correct?

No, if you pay the money ($4.27 after tax) you get access to every single game through the MMOD app. Having a cable TV subscription allows you to access the TruTV, TBS, and TNT channels on their web pages without paying anything.

Matches
03-16-2012, 09:19 AM

I agree - very annoying. The app seems (like last year) to be on a delay, too. It's a few minutes behind live action.

Acymetric
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Just a tip to avoid this (if you don't want to run multiple instances), whenever play stops just switch games immediately (there is usually a 5-10 second period of commentator banter after play stops for a timeout but before commercials) before the commercials start. In addition, if you switch to a game that is currently running commercials it will still allow you to switch back to another game for a little bit before it locks you in.

UrinalCake
03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Allstate is offering coupons to get access to the MMOD app for free

http://www.allstate.com/national-sponsorships/college-basketball.aspx

You have to complete a simple form with email address. I haven't read the fine print regarding what they do with the information, so proceed at your own risk.