PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon Hates on Duke on PTI

slower
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Tony and Mike were discussing Knicks fans booing rookie Isaiah Thomas (a DIFFERENT Isaiah Thomas) and Wilbon called the fans' actions "Duke-ish" and went on to expound on the word. Not nice at all. Looks like another media d-bag is showing his true colors - not that I'm a fan of Wilbon anyway. Maybe he hangs with Len Elmore in his spare time.

Duvall
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Tony and Mike were discussing Knicks fans booing rookie Isaiah Thomas (a DIFFERENT Isaiah Thomas) and Wilbon called the fans' actions "Duke-ish" and went on to expound on the word. Not nice at all. Looks like another media d-bag is showing his true colors - not that I'm a fan of Wilbon anyway. Maybe he hangs with Len Elmore in his spare time.

Probably less a reflection of Wilbon hating Duke than Wilbon not having given college basketball more than a second's thought in the last three decades. Which makes sense, as he spent much of that time as a DC sportswriter.

slower
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Probably less a reflection of Wilbon hating Duke than Wilbon not having given college basketball more than a second's thought in the last three decades. Which makes sense, as he spent much of that time as a DC sportswriter.

He seemed quite willing to elaborate, at length, about what "Duke-ish" means, w/r/t fans in the arena.

Dev11
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Saw it, too. I grew up reading the WaPo sports page with Wilbon, but in the past few years I've noticed that he's just turned into a grumpy old man. Kornheiser aged a lot better, because at least he freely admits he's a goofy geezer.

DukeHoopsGuru
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Apparently you were watching a different version of PTI. It was tongue and cheek and somewhat complimentary. He even said Cameron Crazy chants were creative.

slower
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Apparently you were watching a different version of PTI. It was tongue and cheek and somewhat complimentary. He even said Cameron Crazy chants were creative.

Maybe we WERE watching different versions - mine was on ESPN, how about yours?

sagegrouse
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Didn't see it, but Wilbon's wife is a Duke grad (law), and he gets to go to a lot of events with Duke people.

sage

DukeHoopsGuru
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Well then he's obviously a Duke hater. How anyone watched that 2 minute segment, and thought Wilbon was truly being negative is beyond comprehension. It was 100% tongue and cheek saying Knicks fan were Duke-ish b/c they booed rookie Isiah Thomas. People really go out of their way to find haters.

slower
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Well then he's obviously a Duke hater. How anyone watched that 2 minute segment, and thought Wilbon was truly being negative is beyond comprehension. It was 100% tongue and cheek saying Knicks fan were Duke-ish b/c they booed rookie Isiah Thomas. People really go out of their way to find haters.

Well, just because it's beyond YOUR comprehension doesn't mean others are unable to comprehend it. But I'll make a point to watch a replay of it. Maybe he was, indeed, being 100% "tongue and cheek"(sic). Or, perhaps he was just being 100% tongue or 100% cheek.

Duvall
02-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Rough transcription:

(On Knicks fans booing an Isiah Thomas)

"It was Duke-ish. You know, it's one of those things like you see at Cameron Indoor, when the Duke kids come up with one of those clever smart things, and it's also very smug. Oh wait, half the Duke kids *are* from New York - what a stunner. You know, it was Duke-ish, it was clever, and they break their arms patting themselves on the back like you, Mr. Knicks Fan."

Two thoughts:

1) That's it?
2) He's not entirely wrong.

slower
02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Rough transcription:

"It was Duke-ish. You know, it's one of those things like you see at Cameron Indoor, when the Duke kids come up with one of those clever smart things, and it's also very smug. Oh wait, half the Duke kids *are* from New York - what a stunner. You know, it was Duke-ish, it was clever, and they break their arms patting themselves on the back like you, Mr. Knicks Fan."

Two thoughts:

1) That's it?

I'll watch the replay when it's posted. Maybe it was all part of Wilbon's act. He tends to sometimes go over the top to project a tough guy/peeved/manly/street cred image.

sagegrouse
02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Rough transcription:

Two thoughts:

1) That's it?

I got the re-broadcast, and I thought it was fine. It was a vocabulary contest between Kornheiser and Wilbon -- the need was a word to describe the booing by the Knicks' fans of Isaiah (not Isiah) Thomas. Kornheiser came up with "poetic" and Wilbon offered "Duk-ish." It's supposed to be slyly humorous, and I suppose it was.

Of course, Kornheiser and Wilbon are going to make fun of Duke fans; they make fun of everything on that show (although K gets some serious love).

Remember: the worst thing is when NO ONE EVER MENTIONS YOUR NAME.

Sagegrouse

slower
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I got the re-broadcast, and I thought it was fine. It was a vocabulary contest between Kornheiser and Wilbon -- the need was a word to describe the booing by the Knicks' fans of Isaiah (not Isiah) Thomas. Kornheiser came up with "poetic" and Wilbon offered "Duk-ish." It's supposed to be slyly humorous, and I suppose it was.

Of course, Kornheiser and Wilbon are going to make fun of Duke fans; they make fun of everything on that show (although K gets some serious love).

Remember: the worst thing is when NO ONE EVER MENTIONS YOUR NAME.

Sagegrouse

Fair enough. Okay, I listened to the rebroadcast, but Wilbon's face looked genuinely pissed on the original TV broadcast. But, as I said, maybe just part of his act. Irritating, nevertheless.

juise
02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Fair enough. Do you have link to the rebroadcast? Is it on ESPN's home page somewhere?

Here's a link to the podcast (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7583691). Start at 18:22.

SupaDave
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I'll watch the replay when it's posted. Maybe it was all part of Wilbon's act. He tends to sometimes go over the top to project a tough guy/peeved/manly/street cred image.

Wilbon? Street cred? LMAO!!!

slower
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Wilbon? Street cred? LMAO!!!

In his mind. :)

sagegrouse
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Fair enough. Okay, I listened to the rebroadcast, but Wilbon's face looked genuinely pissed on the original TV broadcast. But, as I said, maybe just part of his act. Irritating, nevertheless.

If we are automatically a part of every conversation, then I think it's a compliment, although backhanded with these guys. What would you call the "booing of the wrong Isaiah" at MSG? Clearly a twist of the dagger into the real Isiah. Maybe, "still crazed after all these years?"

Hey, how 'bout the Miami fans' chanting of "Aus-tin Ri-vers, Aus-tin Ri-vers!" during Zeller free throws? Maybe "Duk-ish" is the right word there.

sage

diveonthefloor
02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
It was fine.

If anything, it shows a bit of envy/jealousy on Wilbon's behalf. And remember, the whole idea of their show is "schtick."

Underdog5
02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
FWIW, got a chance to meet him and speak to him for a while at the Garden for 903. Got the impression that he loved everything about Duke from that encounter. Might have been having fun at our expense today but definitely think he genuinely likes Duke and the way the program is run.

Kdogg
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
This is much ado about nothing. Over the years, both Wilbon and Kornheiser have been extremely complementary toward Duke. This was definately in jest and directed more to Knicks fans (like Kornheiser.)

muzikfrk75
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I saw it earlier...completely thought it was tongue-in-cheek as well. *kanyeshrug*

Dev11
02-17-2012, 12:56 AM

I realize this is expanding the scope of this particular thread, but I've noticed this trend in general since the 800/1000/880/903 celebrations of the last few years coupled with 2008/2010 USA team. The Duke hate has stopped being about K and is now just about our white, floor-slapping non-athletes. Simmons has been the same way. I guess if you can't hate K it's still ok to hate all the guys he's coached?

I don't get it. Whatever.

uh_no
02-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I realize this is expanding the scope of this particular thread, but I've noticed this trend in general since the 800/1000/880/903 celebrations of the last few years coupled with 2008/2010 USA team. The Duke hate has stopped being about K and is now just about our white, floor-slapping non-athletes. Simmons has been the same way. I guess if you can't hate K it's still ok to hate all the guys he's coached?

I don't get it. Whatever.

People love to hate. Duke is an easy target. Haters gonna hate.

It's hard to call PTI out as Haters, I don't know how many of you have seen the interviews with PTI and K (he seems to be on relatively frequently...moreso than anyone else)....but they love him. And just becuase you love someone/something doesn't mean you can't poke fun at him/it. Take K for example....he pokes fun at RMK all the time. I'm not sure I can even call this hating. He said it was clever and associated clever with dukish. Heck, weren't we making fun of "gods gift ochoa (sp)" a month ago? Its very dukish, and that's something we're proud of....to do clever things that someone else might not think of. I'd love for duke to be associated with clever all the time....so thanks for solidifying that connection for us, wilbon!

JNort
02-17-2012, 02:49 AM
I watch the show a good bit and he likes Duke a good bit as well as Tony. I thought his comments were kinda funny tbh.

jipops
02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Wilbon is not a hater, except maybe towards the St Louis Cardinals. So to take this personally on Duke is just being overly sensitive.

I still love PTI, it's the show I always try to catchup to on my DVR.

Wilbon is also one of Grant Hill's biggest fans, btw.

flyingdutchdevil
02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Wilbon is not a hater, except maybe towards the St Louis Cardinals. So to take this personally on Duke is just being overly sensitive.

I still love PTI, it's the show I always try to catchup to on my DVR.

Wilbon is also one of Grant Hill's biggest fans, btw.

Agreed.

Can I ask something? Why is it that every time someone in the media says something at least semi-negative about Duke, we have to have 40+ posts on the subject?

Indoor66
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Agreed.

Can I ask something? Why is it that every time someone in the media says something at least semi-negative about Duke, we have to have 40+ posts on the subject?

I think some around here only feel alive if they have some issue to feel slighted, angered or incensed about and then to spout off about the issue. The sensitivity level on the board is sometimes at a level of the rediculous.

flyingdutchdevil
02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I think some around here only feel alive if they have some issue to feel slighted, angered or incensed about and then to spout off about the issue. The sensitivity level on the board is sometimes at a level of the rediculous.

I hope this a reference to JJ and not a spelling mistake :p

Bostondevil
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
People really go out of their way to find haters.

Not really. They seem to find me with great regularity. I particularly love when they wipe their hands on their shirts when they find out I went to Duke (OK, that's only happened once). But the finger point coupled with "You Dukies are all alike" or "You went to Duke? I hate Duke."? I get those all the time.

ChillinDuke
02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Agreed.

I'll help you hit the quota. ;)

Oh, and Wilbon's great. Wasn't a big deal IMO.

- Chillin