PDA

View Full Version : Duke Curse Longevity

cspan37421
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
OK, I don't believe in the Duke Curse, etc - classic example of selection bias - but it was interesting to learn a moment ago while listening to the Tony Kornheiser Show that his alma mater, now known as Binghamton U., is 0-25 on the year and is coached by the same All-American* Mark Macon that Billy King shut down with authority back when I was at Duke.

So obviously the Duke Curse can have long lasting effects. ;)

Probably, though, it relates more to the fallout from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_University_basketball_scandal

Still, can't feel good to be the coach there.

* I think it's technically "All-America", but it doesn't sound right. One example where pedantry is not an improvement.

Cameron
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
According to the Wikipedia article you linked, one of Binghamton's guards in 2009, Malik Alvin, who participated against us in that year's NCAA Tournament, was playing for the Bearcats despite having been arrested for being the criminal mastermind behind a condom heist at a Wal-Mart.

With this new information, I think our 24-point first round win over Binghamton stands as even more impressive. Jon was practically squaring off against Bugsy Siegel and totally outwitted him.

Good gracious.

cspan37421
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
There's quite a bit more to the story than that.

To extend your analogy, it's like saying Al Capone was a bad guy because he was a tax cheat.

loran16
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
OK, I don't believe in the Duke Curse, etc - classic example of selection bias - but it was interesting to learn a moment ago while listening to the Tony Kornheiser Show that his alma mater, now known as Binghamton U., is 0-25 on the year and is coached by the same All-American* Mark Macon that Billy King shut down with authority back when I was at Duke.

So obviously the Duke Curse can have long lasting effects. ;)

Probably, though, it relates more to the fallout from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_University_basketball_scandal

Still, can't feel good to be the coach there.

* I think it's technically "All-America", but it doesn't sound right. One example where pedantry is not an improvement.

Considering basically the whole team was dismissed for illegal activities after that season, I don't think Binghamton's season is an effect of the curse.

mr. synellinden
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Considering basically the whole team was dismissed for illegal activities after that season, I don't think Binghamton's season is an effect of the curse.

Interesting story, but the Duke Curse does not extend to any team Duke has played in the NCAA tournament. It is an apparent pattern of bad things happening to schools (and their players and coaches) that beat us in the tournament. The idea is - be warned that if you beat Duke bad things will happen to you.

dukelifer
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Interesting story, but the Duke Curse does not extend to any team Duke has played in the NCAA tournament. It is an apparent pattern of bad things happening to schools (and their players and coaches) that beat us in the tournament. The idea is - be warned that if you beat Duke bad things will happen to you.

Exactly- Arizona should be feeling the curse about now- but it looks like it has hit Derrick Williams hardest. Derrick who could not miss from long range against us is a 24% 3 point shooter in the NBA and is at best a mediocre NBA player right now. Not sure it will last forever- but Derrick is feeling the curse.