PDA

View Full Version : Coach Collins

nmduke2001
02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? I have observed Chris drawing up a play and barking out instructions during a few time-outs while Coach K watches without saying a word. I can't remember ever seeing someone else run the huddle other than Coach K.

SilkyJ
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? I have observed Chris drawing up a play and barking out instructions during a few time-outs while Coach K watches without saying a word. I can't remember ever seeing someone else run the huddle other than Coach K.

I noticed it for the first time in the Miami game I think, when Chris drew up the final play. Not positive, but pretty sure it was the Miami game. What I definitely do remember is commenting to someone "wow, do you see collins drawing up the final play?"

Indoor66
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I noticed it for the first time in the Miami game I think, when Chris drew up the final play. Not positive, but pretty sure it was the Miami game. What I definitely do remember is commenting to someone "wow, do you see collins drawing up the final play?"

Leadership 101: Train your subordinates to succeed you, whether they do or not.

Billy Dat
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
On yesterday's ESPNU College Basketball Monday Podcast, the Katz/Gottlieb one, they were talking about two coaches who either may not hold their jobs or may quit after the season - Bruce Webber of Illinois and Bill Carmody of Northwestern. In both cases, they thought Collins would be a prime candidate. For Illinois, they thought Collins would be the only non-head coach to be considered. Obviously, it's all speculation.

hurleyfor3
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Illinois would be a decent fit for Chris. Northwestern, no. If you're northwestern, what's the point of firing the guy you've got there anyway, if you're not gonna commit the other resources to caring? What, you think someone's going to come to Northwestern and win 25 games playing a Big Ten schedule with Northwestern players?

Billy Dat
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Illinois would be a decent fit for Chris. Northwestern, no. If you're northwestern, what's the point of firing the guy you've got there anyway, if you're not gonna commit the other resources to caring? What, you think someone's going to come to Northwestern and win 25 games playing a Big Ten schedule with Northwestern players?

I should have been more specific...they thought Weber might get fired and Carmody might quit.

nmduke2001
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Leadership 101: Train your subordinates to succeed you, whether they do or not.

Hopefully this is several years from now, but does anyone think that Coach K would announce a retirement date and his replacement a few years in advance? That would help with recruiting consistency.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Collins mentioned this when he spoke to the Blue Devil Club last week. He'd done the scouting for the game and told Coach K he had something that might work, so K told him to draw it up.

K delegates a tremendous amount of responsibilities to his staff - because they all three played for him and they have a LOT of experience coaching for him, plus Jeff is a former head coach himself. Our assistants have more responsibilities than just about any other assistants in the country. So said the man himself a few weeks ago. He's said many times he has the best staff in the country, and he lets them do their "stuff".

mkline09
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Hopefully this is several years from now, but does anyone think that Coach K would announce a retirement date and his replacement a few years in advance? That would help with recruiting consistency.

I seriously doubt K would ever announce a date when he will retire. Just like his substitution patter he goes by feel and he will retire when he feels like it is time to do it not sooner and he isn't the type to announce it, not his style. I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest coach continue to coach as long as he wants.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I seriously doubt K would ever announce a date when he will retire. Just like his substitution patter he goes by feel and he will retire when he feels like it is time to do it not sooner and he isn't the type to announce it, not his style. I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest coach continue to coach as long as he wants.

In the Duke Magazine article this month, K said that he would stop when he "did not want to pay the price to win" -- i.e. all of the work and passion it takes to win. Can't see that happening for awhile, but agree it will come when K feels it is time.

gam7
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM

Nope. He's been clear and consistent that he will know when it is time to hang it up, and he will leave at that time. He has said that when he doesn't feel like he can put in the effort necessary to win, then he'll know it is time, but he can't predict when that will be.

There are precedents for announcing retirement in advance, but it is not clear that it is a good idea. It will be interesting to see how things play out at Louisville, where Pitino announced that he will retire when his current deal is up (without naming his successor), and at San Diego State, where the program already has announced Steve Fisher's replacement once he retires.

burnspbesq
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Can't imagine Carmody leaving. He's under no pressure from inside NU to win more.

throatybeard
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Who is he, King Lear?

mkline09
02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Regarding Chris Collins, I really like his coaching potential. He looks like a coach. He is firey which I rather like. Not as big on the completely passive coach that just sits there. I think he is ready to be a head coach but like Johnny Dawkins before him is waiting on the right opportunity at a program committed to winning. It is obvious K trust him a lot. He has been having he and Wojo (though I mostly see Collins) doing the half-time interview and that combined with drawing up plays shows the confidence he has in Collins. The best way to learn how to do something is by doing it and that is what Krzyzewski is doing. Good year to do it too with such a young team that needs a lot of coaching.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Who is he, King Lear?

Does this mean that Lindy or Debbie will be the next coach?

Faison1
02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Arkansas.

throatybeard
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Does this mean that Lindy or Debbie will be the next coach?

Uh-oh. Nobody let Jamie take a trip to France.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Let's say hypothetically Chris Collins does get courted to Illinois which I also believe he would be a good fit. He has the ties to Chicago and has been a top assistant to the most consistent program in the country. Who would we bring in to replace Collins? Would we think about bringing Paulus on from OSU? Just a thought I have no clue, but definitely a possibility. Him or Carrawell

MChambers
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Let's say hypothetically Chris Collins does get courted to Illinois which I also believe he would be a good fit. He has the ties to Chicago and has been a top assistant to the most consistent program in the country. Who would we bring in to replace Collins? Would we think about bringing Paulus on from OSU? Just a thought I have no clue, but definitely a possibility. Him or Carrawell

Expect lots of posts about how Duke should hire a tall coach for the post players. Abdul-Jabbar or Laettner or even Shaq.

throatybeard
02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Expect lots of posts about how Duke should hire a tall coach for the post players. Abdul-Jabbar or Laettner or even Shaq.

We need a tall quarterback too.

sagegrouse
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM

There's a pecking order: Nate James, Carrawell, Spatola, all of whom who are or have been recently connected to the program. But realistically, I expect two of the three -- Collins, Wojo, Capel -- to be gone in the next 2-3 years.

sagegrouse

Cameron
02-16-2012, 10:31 AM

If we can't get somebody in basketball, what about hiring the Space Needle? I wonder if Seattle is very attached to that. It would look extremely intimidating standing on the sideline and, at 184 meters tall, it would be over 600 feet bigger than Wojo. That would surely help to at least quiet his strongest critics, who, nothing short of Coach K hiring King Kong, are never going to be fully happy with our big man coach anyway.

http://idesigniphone.net/wallpapers/51774.jpg

phaedrus
02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
We need a tall quarterback too.

We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.

dukedrummer
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm 6' 2"....Can I have another pitchfork? I only have one right now. :)

GTHC

kmspeaks
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.

Can this height be adjusted for female posters? Although at 5'4" I'm probably doomed either way. :p

UrinalCake
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I heard an interview with Doug Collins (Chris's father) a couple years ago where he talked about Chris. Said that Chris had been approached by other schools with head coaching offers, but he was waiting for the right opportunity. He doesn't want to go to a small school, which I interpreted to mean not in a major conference. He also didn't see him succeeding Coach K due to the pressures of following a legend. At the time there was speculation that Jim Calhoun might be stepping down, but Doug didn't foresee Chris being interested in that for the same reason. Based on this, a school like Illinois seems like it would be a good fit.

He went on to say that Coach K is really grooming Collins and Wojo to be head coaches. Coach K acts as the "CEO" of the company, meaning he delegates a large amount of responsibility to his assistants. It's an ideal situation for those guys to learn from the best.

So it sounds like Collins is ready to be a head coach (and Wojo too, for that matter) but is in no hurry and is willing to wait for the right opportunity.

throatybeard
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Lavabe needs to post more. He's like '6-7".

Duvall
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Anybody want a job in the Big East? (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/02/smu-ad-orsini-on-basketball-program-i-am.html)

sagegrouse
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Anybody want a job in the Big East? (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/02/smu-ad-orsini-on-basketball-program-i-am.html)

Holy cow! It's not just that Doherty and SMU are on the bottom of Conference USA, but it's also that the Mustangs scored only 29 points in losing to UAB. Twenty-nine? As in B-29? Bombs away!!

sage

Postscript: it was only 28 points. I gave SMU and Doh too much credit. Do you think it was an attempt to make it look like a football score?

sage

Duvall
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Holy cow! It's not just that Doherty and SMU are on the bottom of Conference USA, but it's also that the Mustangs scored only 29 points in losing to UAB. Twenty-nine? As in B-29? Bombs away!!

sage

I would joke about that being a football score, but June Jones would never want to settle for just four touchdowns.

Reilly
02-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? ....

Anybody notice during (I think) the last or next to last timeout last night (maybe when the refs were putting time back on the clock), K was running the huddle but Collins seemed to yell/talk right over him and gesture emphatically, and it looked like K told him to back off/hush ....

Lid
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Anybody notice during (I think) the last or next to last timeout last night (maybe when the refs were putting time back on the clock), K was running the huddle but Collins seemed to yell/talk right over him and gesture emphatically, and it looked like K told him to back off/hush ....
I noticed that, it was pretty funny. Collins was fired up and K seemed like he was saying, "I've got this, thanks. I'll let you know when you get draw up a game-winning shot again."

roywhite
02-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Nebraska 80 Illinois 57 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=320490158)

Weber's days have to be numbered. This was a bad loss to a Nebraska team that is 4-10 in the conference.

Coach Collins, be prepared for a call; gotta think he'll be a leading candidate.

Orange&BlackSheep
02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
hiring Bobby Hurley away from his brother? Not that he is necessarily a better fit that James, Carrawell, Spatola, etc.

Cameron
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Rumors swirling in Big Ten country are that Buzz Williams of Marquette and Shaka Smart of VCU will be the two main targets for Illinois early on.

Unless Coach K handpicks Collins as the heir to the basketball empire in Durham, it is inevitable that Chris will, at least temporarily anyway, part ways with the program. I have always fretted this day and will be brokenhearted when it arrives. He bleeds for this school and, as Coach K once stated, was its bridge to greatness during the fragilely important period after 1995. Chris obviously needs to do what his best for him and his career, but it will be very painful to see his absence from the sideline in Cameron. His, and Wojo's, impassioned spirit and love for the game is uncannily similar to Coach, which actually isn't all that unusual considering they've been together for 20 years, and that's the type of leader I can only hope will follow in K's footsteps.

If he does leave, I hope he returns home soon.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Friday a week ago I asked Chris what his aspirations are? He said someday he'd like his own program, but that he's in absolutely no hurry to leave. His words, first hand. :cool:

Cameron
02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
So, OZZIE, based on your personal conversation with Chris, what are your thoughts on him ever leading the Duke program? I'm pretty disappointed to hear that that might not be his ultimate dream. Although, I certainly understand the leviathan task of replacing an icon. In just the last 15 years, look at Craig Esherick at Georgetown, Mike Davis at Indiana and even the Bill Gutheridge/Matt Doherty combo in Chapel Hill. It's a tough situation.

I would love Chris at the helm here, though. At least a chance to see it play out. My feeling are the same with Wojo as well. These guys are absolute mirrors of K and his personality and compulsion to win.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
So, OZZIE, based on your personal conversation with Chris, what are your thoughts on him ever leading the Duke program? I'm pretty disappointed to hear that that might not be his ultimate dream. Although, I certainly understand the leviathan task of replacing an icon. In just the last 15 years, look at Craig Esherick at Georgetown, Mike Davis at Indiana and even the Bill Gutheridge/Matt Doherty combo in Chapel Hill. It's a tough situation.

I would love Chris at the helm here, though. At least a chance to see it play out. My feeling are the same with Wojo as well. These guys are absolute mirrors of K and his personality and compulsion to win.
My "personal" conversation with Chris was a question asked in a semipublic forum, and he answered diplomatically. He and Wojo have the best assistant coaching positions in the country, and are probably (I am guessing here) better paid than some mid-level head coaches. Life is good, and comfortable, why rock the boat? They will both probably move on to HC positions at some point, I have no clue when. As for either replacing K when the time comes, I'd say they both have a 1 in 5 chance - I expect K's successor will be chosen from among Collins, Wojo, Dawkins, Capel and Amaker. :cool:

Cameron
02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the insight, OZZIE. That's the circle of names from which I also would expect our next coach to be chosen, and, when the time arrives, the process leading to that decision and the years immediately following will be fascinating.

shoutingncu
02-21-2012, 12:52 AM
If he does leave, I hope he returns home soon.

Me too.

dball
02-21-2012, 02:00 AM

All for it since I'm 6'6" :)

JMarley50
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm 6'8" and played in the post!! That should be worthy of another pitchfork! But wait, that means I know nothing about guard play so I guess that cancels it out... :(

watzone
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Having been around Chris and Wojo during coaches clinics and various other events and such, I can tell you that both want to be head coaches, but as has been said, they're waiting for the right job. For instance Dayton flirted with Wojo last season and this kind of thing hs gone on for a while. I know for a fact through top notch sources that Collins is on a list of prospective coaches at Illinois and or his name is being tossed about by major boosters. Collins is a fantastic X's and O's guy and has boundless energy and is a top notch recruiter. He has the total package and who wouldn't look into the Illini job should they come knocking. Those X's and O's skills would be missed at Duke for sure too. Capel has been in more of an observer role thus far, but he too, will be courted. And Wojo? He is a film master. During the Duke win over West Virginia, I could hear him yelling out instructions to the defense on where to be and what was about to happen in the WVU sets. He was all over it and to say it was impressive would be an understatement. Duke has a fantastic coaching staff and they all have major strengths but they are all too, waiting for a good opportunity for all are happy being beside Coach K at Duke.

jimsumner
02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Inasmuch as Krzyzewski has long had great success recruiting in his home state and inasmuch as Duke is pursuing a number of very attractive prepsters in Illinois, Collins heading the Illini program could get most interesting.

Chicago 1995
02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Chris is getting a little bit of play for Illinois it seems, at least in the media.

Problem is, it's going to be really, really tough to get a job a program like Illinois -- which is a top 20 job at the worst -- with no head coaching experience. You have to be perfect to beat out guys that have actually had success running a program, like Gregg Marshall, let alone guys like Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart when Chris (or Wo) can't point to tournament success or a Final Four banner of their own. And whether it's fair or not, Quin and Tommy struggling as they did (and the jury still being out on Johnny) doesn't help much at all either. Quin went straight to Mizzou, and that didn't end well at all. Tommy went straight to Seton Hall, left it in bad shape when he went to Michigan, and struggled there terribly.

I would be very, very surprised if Illinois hires Chris.

Mike Thomas has hired four coaches as a BCS AD, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and Mick Cronin at Cincy and Tim Beckman at Illinois. All had prior head coaching experience. Chris doesn't. There are too many good candidates who are head coaches to think Chris is going to overcome that hole in his resume.

Chris and Wo have been assistants for a long, long time, and if they do aspire to be BCS level head coaches, let alone the head coach at Duke, they probably need to get some experience. That might mean a step they didn't envision like a high quality A-10 job like Dayton or an MVC job like Wichita State or the like, but realistically, they need to prove that they can run the show themselves. Absent that, I guess they are waiting for a job like Utah or Rutgers to open -- and I'd note both of those schools hired HCs from other schools as well.

Cameron
02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
I would agree that the Utah basketball program isn't your typical "mid-major" and that it might be difficult for Collins to get a serious look there without any previous head coaching experience. Kentucky it may be not, but Utah has a storied basketball tradition that dates back to the '40s, when the Runnin' Utes won their first and only national championship. They've also been to 26 NCAA Tournaments, the fifth most of any school all-time, and we all know the heights the program reached under Rick Majerus in the 1990s behind Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller and Michael Doleac. That '97 team, which lost in the regional finals to Kentucky, was actually better than the team Utah sent to the national finals a year later. That trio of Van Horn, Miller and Doleac was something to watch.

Then again, Utah's string of coaches since Majerus has been Ray Giacoletti, Jim Boylen and Larry Krystkowiak and they've all been terrible. So perhaps bringing a bigger name like Collins to Salt Lake would help rejuvenate a fallen power. Tradition-rich history, loyal fanbase, Cameron-like home-court advantage and an attractive city to sell to recruits. Plus, you have the recent success of so many recent NBA draft picks. Van Horn, Miller, Doleac, Bogut, etc. There would be a lot to work with.

I also just set a record for most times mentioning Keith Van Horn in one post.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Duke's history of HC's...
I agree with those that think having HC experience at another school is a bonus to landing one of the big jobs, but if you look at Duke's current crop of K's tree, only one really went that route; Mike Brey started at Delaware.
Amaker, Dawkins and Quin Snyder went from assistants on Duke's bench to rather big league jobs out of the gate. Amaker to Seton Hall, Dawkins to Stanford and Snyder to Missouri, so there is plenty of precedent for jumping from K's hip to steering a big ship.

Starter
02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
With the usual disclaimer that I hope not to have to deal with this for a number of years, I think my vote would be for Amaker, who seems to really be hitting his stride. I think Collins would be a good coach, but I get gun-shy when thinking about his father. Doug is pretty close to unparalleled with X's and O's, but he's super-intense and universally wears out his welcome when he runs out of buttons to push. I realize Chris is his own man, and it's a lot different dynamic coaching in college than the pros, but I'd still have trouble getting past that. (Call me crazy -- no really, do that!) That said, Chris knows the game and has as much experience learning under a true master than anyone.

I have a great feeling about Wojo; I don't think he necessarily needs head coaching experience after being so close to the top for so many years at Duke. I like Capel as well, though those last few years at Oklahoma were pretty rough.