PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. NC State (Feb 16, 2012) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-14-2012, 07:25 AM
The Wolfpack comes to town on Thursday. Pre-game and in-game discussion goes here.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-14-2012, 08:43 AM
N.C.State really need a signature win. They will be ready to play. Also concerned about Dukes track record against former coaches, who are former ESPN analysts, and are now coaches again. Like the Johnies last year. Its on ESPN3, is it a Raycom broadcast in ACC markets? I live in Florida.

Checked raycoms TV listing, but not posted yet. It said TV listings coming soon.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Coach K is under the weather and called in sick rather than appear on the radio this morning for the fund raising Radiothon going on for the Duke Children's Hospital. When he called in to Adam Gold's show yesterday afternoon they mentioned he wasn't feeling well and he sounded a bit "husky".

Get well soon, Coach.

COYS
02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
This game will be strength against strength. Both NC State and Duke are better on the offensive end than they are on the defensive end. The difference is that Duke is way better on the offensive end than the Pack. NC State has some athletes that could give Duke trouble, but I expect Duke to have a relatively easy time scoring the ball. Obviously, nothing is given, but I think the deciding factor as to whether or not this will be a nail-biter or an easy win will be determined by how well we can play defense. If we can play at the level we played against Maryland, then we should be able to put the Pack away by the end of the game. If we give the them a few open shots and they start feeling it, we will could be looking at another hard fought victory. It will be up to our defense to determine how tough this game is going to be.

Kedsy
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Obviously, nothing is given, but I think the deciding factor as to whether or not this will be a nail-biter or an easy win will be determined by how well we can play defense.

We could say this about most of our games.

tbyers11
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
N.C.State really need a signature win. They will be ready to play. Also concerned about Dukes track record against former coaches, who are former ESPN analysts, and are now coaches again. Like the Johnies last year. Its on ESPN3, is it a Raycom broadcast in ACC markets? I live in Florida.

Checked raycoms TV listing, but not posted yet. It said TV listings coming soon.

Here is the list of affiliates (http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-basketball-match-center-nc-state-at-duke.html) carrying the Duke/NC State game on Thursday night.

UrinalCake
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
For the TV-less folk, the game will be streamed online here (http://www.theacc.com/live/). I've found their quality to be much worse than ESPN3, but you take what you can get.

RoyalBlue08
02-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Very excited not to have to listen to Mike Patrick/Len Elmore for this one.

On paper, I like the matchup. I think the key will be if we can match the intensity I expect they will bring to this game.

PackMan97
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Feb 6, 1988. I doubt that will change to Feb 16, 2012.

Saratoga2
02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I am hoping MIles will build on the great performance in the Maryland game. Fingers crossed on that one. With Curry, Austin, Mason and Ryan all playing good ball at this juncture, I am particularly interested in whether Andre can up his offensive performance. With all our offensive weapons operating well and our defense coming along, we are tough to beat.

Greg_Newton
02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
State has a very solid but undersized frontcourt; Howell is an absolute bull in the paint but is closer to 6'6 than his listed 6'8, and Leslie is a freakishly long but scrawny 6'8. Leslie also doesn't exactly have a Lance Thomas-esque motor, but he's really improved his scoring this year. I think we could have some issues guarding him one-on-one, much like we did DeShaun Thomas, but Mason should be able to go to work on whoever they put on him.

Miles vs. Howell could be a great heavyweight battle - they both play a similar, bruising style of ball that leads to ridiculous rebounding numbers when they're "on", so it will be interesting to see if Miles can come out on top.

I'm a little worried about their backcourt. They check in at 6'5-6'5-6'7, with Brown and Williams both very good penetrators and mid-range shooters. We should be able to contain Wood, as his height advantage is somewhat negated by his low release point, but Brown and Williams will be a formidable challenge for our guards. Brown will likely be the most potent combo of size/quickness we'll see at PG this year (with the exception of UW's Wroten, who torched us).

I'm more interested to see how we look than how we handle the matchups, though. You like to get to a place where you're good enough as a team to handle "bad" matchups, and I'd like to think we're getting closer to that place.

davekay1971
02-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I've watched almost as much State as Duke this year and cheer avidly for the Pack (as long as they aren't playing Duke). So, for what it's worth, here's my breakdown:

Point Guard: Lorenzo Brown has had a very good season and has adjusted well to the PG role. By and large he's been a heady player. He's not the spectacular passer that Marshall is, but he's a good penetrator, a strong finisher, and he USUALLY makes very few mistakes. That being said, he is prone to stretches of bad play, usually when he's trying to force things. His assist-to-turnover ratio is just over 2:1. Key to our defense will be keeping him out of the lane. He's a mediocre 3 point shooter (32% on the season).

Wings: In many ways, CJ Williams has been the Pack's best player this year. He plays smart, tough basketball. He's the kind of kid that K loves. He sticks to high percentage shots and does a great job of taking what the defense gives him. He plays nicely within the team concept and rarely makes big mistakes. Scott, as we all know, is a phenomenal 3 point shooter. When Lowe was coaching, Scott seemed to have problems getting clear looks, and he can't really create his own shot. Under Gottfried, Wood is being moved off screens and is getting clear looks. When he does that, he's a 6'9" sharpshooter with a quick release, and he can score points in a hurry.

Inside: Howell has done a phenomenal job sculpting his body for the season. He's fit, active, and has turned into a load inside. You could see the potential last year. This year he's reached it. He's shorter than the Plumlees, but he's strong and can finish around the rim. Leslie is still Leslie. By that, I mean he's a great physical talent and a bit of a head case. He can get lazy and fade out of the game. He tends to make some mistakes and waste possessions. BUT, he's made a huge improvement compared with last season. He's a better rebounder and seems much more willing to play within the offense. Gottfried has clearly gotten through to Leslie, and Leslie's listening and learning. Look out for him next season...you can almost sense the kid's going to take a huge leap forward.

Bench: State's thin. Painter has dramatically improved his game and has a nice mid-range jumper. He's not the beast that Howell is inside, but he's a serviceable body on the boards. Johnson is State's back-up PG, and the fall-off from Brown is pretty steep. Johnson's not a bad player, but he doesn't scare you either. Vandenburg and DeThaey get some minutes and generally are best described as raw but productive.

Overall offense: State has weapons and is using them more efficiently this year. They share and have had 5 guys in double figures most of the season. They don't rely heavily on the 3, but Wood and Williams can both hit the 3 (Wood being excellent). They play inside-out for the most part, which is one reason they struggled so badly against Carolina. They do like to run if they get the chance, and they finish well. They don't panic or go to every-man-for-himself basketball when things get tough like they did under Lowe. Their offense is pretty good (KenPom rank 42) but not unstoppable by any means.

Overall defense: As noted earlier, they're weak. Kenpom has them ranked 99 on defense, putting them a little worse than us right now, but basically in the same ballpark. It doesn't seem to be a lack of effort - they look like they're trying much harder on defense this year. I think they just don't have the athletes. Wood is a smart player, but lateral quickness ain't exactly his strong suit. Same with Williams. You can penetrate the lane on State. They have some mental breakdowns. They are going to have a very hard time stopping our team from scoring.

Critical matchups:
1) Keeping Brown out of the lane: expect Thornton to draw Brown a lot. Brown isn't a great outside shooter, so keeping him on the perimeter is key to preventing State from getting easy baskets. I'd tell Thornton to sag back a little until Brown proves he can hurt us from out there. He can be streaky, though, so if he's hitting, you have to get up on him.

2) Wood: Tough matchup for Duke. Much easier for us last year when we could put Singler on him. None of our primary 3s is nearly as tall as Wood, and he's going to get some looks shooting over our guys. It'll be important to be right up on him when he catches, because he's developed a VERY quick release this year.

3) Howell: we've seen big bruisers have some success against us. If Howell's getting buckets inside, it makes the night much longer. Miles and Mason need to eat their Wheaties and come out ready for 40 minutes in the octagon.

4) Leslie's the wild card. He's got enough athleticism to give Kelly fits...if he's in the mood to play his best game. Leslie has just as much chance of pulling a 40 minute disappearing act. On the other end, Kelly could have a field day if Leslie's playing lazy D. I just have no idea (and I expect Gottfried doesn't either) which Leslie will be on the court.

5) State's D on our perimeter: Rivers should be able to get into the lane. If he's on at all, State does not have a guy who can shut him down. If he's on like he was against Carolina, he could set a new career high for himself. State is going to have trouble with our perimeter. Curry and Dawkins, if they play actively away from the ball, can get open looks against State. Whoever has Wood on him should also look to penetrate. Wood is not quick enough to keep up with Rivers or Curry...or, frankly Dre.

I don't mean to ignore Williams...I have a feeling he's having such a good season largely because everyone forgets about him. He's like the John Paul Jones of the Pack - gets no attention but he's the reason they're having so much success. Dawkins, Curry, Rivers...whoever's on him better not forget about him trying to help out on Wood or Brown, because that's when Williams is particularly good at sticking in a 3 point dagger.

So that's the breakdown. Duke should win this game...but State really is a much better team than last year.

Greg_Newton
02-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Thanks for that - but where are you getting that Wood is 6'9?

He's listed at 6'6 and has looked more like 6'6-6'7 to me. Throw in the fact that his release point is roughly at his forehead, and I hadn't thought that he'd really be much of a threat to simply shoot over our 6'2 brigade. But maybe I'm wrong if he's really 6'9...

davekay1971
02-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that - but where are you getting that Wood is 6'9?

He's listed at 6'6 and has looked more like 6'6-6'7 to me. Throw in the fact that his release point is roughly at his forehead, and I hadn't thought that he'd really be much of a threat to simply shoot over our 6'2 brigade. But maybe I'm wrong if he's really 6'9...

My bad on his height listing. My error completely. However, he's improved both the quickness of his release and his release point...two important reasons his scoring average has improved this year. I am concerned that his height advantage over our perimeter could help him get good looks. If our guys can stay right on him through screens and be in his face when he catches the ball, he will be limited.

PackMan97
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Vandenburg and DeThaey get some minutes and generally are best described as raw but productive.

Vandenburg is red-shirting this year with a bad shoulder. De Thaey is indeed raw and usually only sees minutes when State's front court gets into foul trouble.

The only other issue I take with your post is that you don't give Calvin Leslie enough credit for a change in attitude. He still has lapses and is far from perfect, but he's playing so much better this season. In our home loss to GT at the end of the game when it was no longer in doubt, Leslie was still in the game and dove on the floor after a loose ball (a play he'd never make last year, let alone in a game we lost). Calvin was asked about the play after the game and his answer was basically "Coach told us how we play in the last few minutes will set the tone for the next game so get out there and play hard". Of course the next game was our 36 point thumping of Wake Forest. Calvin has a lot of bad habits to unlearn, but he's getting there.

davekay1971
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Packman97:

Thanks for the correction on Vandenburg. I had completely forgotten that.

Sorry I didn't emphasize enough my own appreciation of Leslie's improvement. To my eyes, I still see those bad habits and still see an enormous amount of untapped potential. But, you are absolutely right, he has made significant improvements in all areas of the game compared to last year, most of all attitude and willingness to work for the team's benefit. Like I mentioned (buried deep within an overly long post), look out for him next year. I see almost no chance of Leslie making the mistake of going pro after this year (it would be a huge mistake for him), and given the improvements he's made this year, he could be a beast next year.

-jk
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll keep beating my drum: Defense - at least the way K teaches it - is not about individual matchups.

Defense is a collective team effort. Clearly communicate a pick and the resulting hedge or switch so it's seamless in execution. Acknowledge the offense always has the initiative - you won't stop every player but you can break up the play by steering them to where you want them, away from the basket, into help, off to a sideline. Cover from the weak side whenever someone helps. Defend the passing lanes. Overplay within reason. All to confound their team into a bad pass or shot, or at least a less good pass or shot.

These are the keys. Not whether our wing can stop their wing (though that's always a nice weapon).

We contained Stoglin - the NCAA's 7th and ACC's top scorer - not with a good guard matchup, but by steering him into trap after trap and bad shot after bad shot. And it really got into his head. That's Duke defense.

-jk

BluDvlsN1
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I'll keep beating my drum: Defense - at least the way K teaches it - is not about individual matchups.

Defense is a collective team effort. Clearly communicate a pick and the resulting hedge or switch so it's seamless in execution. Acknowledge the offense always has the initiative - you won't stop every player but you can break up the play by steering them to where you want them, away from the basket, into help, off to a sideline. Cover from the weak side whenever someone helps. Defend the passing lanes. Overplay within reason. All to confound their team into a bad pass or shot, or at least a less good pass or shot.

These are the keys. Not whether our wing can stop their wing (though that's always a nice weapon).

We contained Stoglin - the NCAA's 7th and ACC's top scorer - not with a good guard matchup, but by steering him into trap after trap and bad shot after bad shot. And it really got into his head. That's Duke defense.

-jk

This is what we've be struggling with all year, have strong offensive individuals learning how to play strong man to man D, and still understand team defense principles!

We have shown flashes of putting it together, then with a letdown! It has roller coastered a bit!

We have had lots of discussion about traps, it seems when we do it, it is very effective, and it is happening more!
I think it energizes the team as a whole and creates a focus on that defensive set!

If you still have the nc game on que, look at the 1st two minutes, and focus on Mason and his intensity,
Then look at the 1st points Zeller gets in the game, MP2 has Zeller on top, Zeller floats down the right side of the key,past MP2 and Kelly, no communication, Kelley doesen't switch MP2 drops off, Marshall finds an open Zeller on the baseline!
Just an example of what your saying, there were other examples of the positive , Austin on the weak side D, stripping the bigs blindside when they brought the ball down, MP2's steal and quite a few more,but you get the idea!

Communication both vocal and eye are key, they are getting it in spurts, It just seems that when they trap more there appears to be more focus on that defensive set!

Thoughts?

gumbomoop
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

-jk

I like this, as it gives concrete examples of K's emphasis on "attention to detail." In close games, every play counts. In most plays, several little details count.

PackMan97
02-15-2012, 04:10 PM

-jk

Stoglin never met a shot he didn't like and has never met a pass he did like. Stoglin is averaging 2 assists per game and almost 2.3 turnovers a game. He is responsible for a third of MD's shots and has taken twice as many as anyone else on the team. If there was ever a player that type of defense against, it's Stoglin.

Contrast that with State which features five guys between 232 shots (Brown) and 212 shots (Wood) with Howell, Leslie and Williams in the middle. Brown is the guy that takes the most shots, but he's also second in the ACC in assists with 6.7 a game and he features a 2:1 a/to ratio so he makes far fewer bad decisions than Stoglin. If State is to have any chance, Brown needs to be aggressive with the ball and his decisions and force the Duke guards into defensive mistakes. If he's in a funk (or Duke puts him in one), I don't think State has much of a chance.

davekay1971
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Agreed that Brown is a big key for State's offense. If he can penetrate, keep his head about him (which he does well, usually), and make the correct decisions on dishing vs finishing, he can open up opportunities for State's offense. He'll be a very good test for our guards and their ability to stop dribble-penetration.

My focus in watching this game will be more on defense. Partly, of course, that's because our struggles, when we've had them, have come from the defensive end. The other part is that I believe, with a good, solid defensive performance, we can limit State. If we play defense with inadequate focus or intensity, State has, as PackMan accurately noted, a balanced attack where 5 guys can hurt you, and it could be a long night. In addition, I don't feel as much need to concentrate on our offense, because we really should be able to score on State. They are playing harder on defense than in past years, but they can be exploited, and our guys should get good scoring opportunities both inside and out.

Chris Randolph
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Personally, NC State scared me as a potential threat earlier in the ACC season. But I knew we had them at home so I was feeling ok about it. But as everyone knows our homecourt advantage has been just good not great this season. As it has been stated, NC State needs a signature win and this would be one for them so I'm sure they will be on their game tomorrow night. I also think Duke will be as well...

I just hope to see Duke build on past performances. I hope to see the Plumlee's continue to dominate the glass, Curry to run the team and knock down big shots, Rivers bring his swag/energy and score off the pick and roll. I really really hope Kelly starts to be more consistent. I think earlier in the year I took him for granted as I just thought he'd be solid night in night out but he hasn't quite been there in games. Hopefully he will hit a hot streak and shoot well as well as alter/block shots and grab boards. And lastly Andre knocking down shots at at least a 50% clip. With the open looks he gets because of our other weapons, he has to make them count

I'm feeling pretty good about Duke the rest of this season. Please Duke, don't do me like my Dallas Cowboys do: play well a few games in a row late in the season and get your hopes up as if they have finally figured it out only to let me down :(

throatybeard
02-16-2012, 12:03 AM
The Wolfpack comes to town on Thursday. Pre-game and in-game discussion goes here.

We still play State? Who knew?

OldPhiKap
02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
We still play State? Who knew?

How'd we do in the first match-up?

Oh, yeah . . . .

(Expansion stinks, '12 edition. And getting worse in '13.)

nocilla
02-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Highlighted Game Notes (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205380040&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

Full Game Notes (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/824825.pdf?ATCLID=205380040&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

davekay1971
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
How'd we do in the first match-up?

Oh, yeah . . . .

(Expansion stinks, '12 edition. And getting worse in '13.)

The only benefit is that my wife (State fan) and I only have to have this strain on our marriage once a year!

Cameron
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
For those of us without access to ESPN3 coverage, does anybody know of an online outlet where tonight's game might be able to be watched? Firstrowsports.com would have been my first bet, but, like ATDHE.net before it, that site has unfortunately been confiscated by the feds.

I'd have my toddler nephew stand on top of my house with an aluminum baseball bat if I thought that would help my TV set acquire a signal, but my sister probably wouldn't think fondly of her son being electrocuted. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

devil84
02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
It looks like theacc.com (http://www.theacc.com) will carry tonight's game. Look under the video tab.

Cameron
02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
It looks like theacc.com (http://www.theacc.com) will carry tonight's game. Look under the video tab.

Thank you very much, devil84. It is much appreciated. I can breathe again. I tend to get a bit frenzied when the games aren't televised.

hq2
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
'm a little worried about their backcourt. They check in at 6'5-6'5-6'7, with Brown and Williams both very good penetrators and mid-range shooters. We should be able to contain Wood, as his height advantage is somewhat negated by his low release point, but Brown and Williams will be a formidable challenge for our guards. Brown will likely be the most potent combo of size/quickness we'll see at PG this year (with the exception of UW's Wroten, who torched us).

Folks, I got a bad feeling about this. Same kind of team as Temple; quick athletic 'tweeners who can get in the gap in our defense and
start pouring in the shots. Plus, State has something to prove too, and they need a signature win. They blew us out a couple of years
ago, and it could happen again. I think we're in for a tough evening.

Duvall
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Folks, I got a bad feeling about this. Same kind of team as Temple; quick athletic 'tweeners who can get in the gap in our defense and start pouring in the shots.

Well, one important difference is that Temple is better.

hq2
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Temple is 20-5 in a weaker conference, upper 20s ranking. May be a little better than State, not a whole lot.
We're still in for a contest.

Wildcat
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
What will be interesting to watch is the coaching duel between K and Gott. I will be watching how Gott will match wits/strategizes against us. That might give some indicator as to what or how he really feels about us. I'm not a huge fan of Gott, but he certainly possesses charisma, swag and an obvious awarness of talent. Good TV tonight!

Duvall
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Temple is 20-5 in a weaker conference, upper 20s ranking. May be a little better than State, not a whole lot.

Weaker conference, but tougher overall schedule to date, against which they have posted a better record.

JNort
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
For those of us without access to ESPN3 coverage, does anybody know of an online outlet where tonight's game might be able to be watched? Firstrowsports.com would have been my first bet, but, like ATDHE.net before it, that site has unfortunately been confiscated by the feds.

I'd have my toddler nephew stand on top of my house with an aluminum baseball bat if I thought that would help my TV set acquire a signal, but my sister probably wouldn't think fondly of her son being electrocuted. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

Nope you can still use the site. They changed the ".com" to ".eu"

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/

Cameron
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Ah, thanks, JNord, and to another poster who pointed that out in the New England thread also.

Glad to see firstrowsports is back (for now). It's really a fantastic place for the avid sports fan who enjoys watching their team every chance they get as well as taking in off-the-wall games in other parts of the country and world.

UrinalCake
02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I tend to use firstrow as a last resort. If there's a more, uh, legitimate way to watch the game then I'll go there first. Most of our games have been covered on ESPN3 for those who have access. Also, as discussed in this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27203-Warning-about-computer-viruses&highlight=firstrow), firstrow is notorious for containing viruses, so use at your own risk!

riverside6
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10571

dukeofcalabash
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Folks, I got a bad feeling about this. Same kind of team as Temple; quick athletic 'tweeners who can get in the gap in our defense and
start pouring in the shots. Plus, State has something to prove too, and they need a signature win. They blew us out a couple of years
ago, and it could happen again. I think we're in for a tough evening.

From here on out this Duke team has something to prove too! Go Duke!

diveonthefloor
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Is Snrub going to be up tonight?

mapei
02-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow, I get about 25 sports channels on DirecTv, and this game doesn't seem to be on any of them. Am I missing something????

RockyMtDevil
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, I get about 25 sports channels on DirecTv, and this game doesn't seem to be on any of them. Am I missing something????

Can believe this isn't on...Looks like we are off to one of our stellar slow starts once again at home...

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Hate that ESPN3 is blacking out the game on the internet. Any audio?

J4Kop99
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Curry hurt his ankle?

I'm in the NYC area and it says the game is coming on at 10 pm on Yes Network... I guess it will be tape delayed. That kinda sucks.

lotusland
They sure aren't having any problems with our size down low.

PSurprise
Hate that ESPN3 is blacking out the game on the internet. Any audio?

www.theacc.com has the game. Pretty good quality on my machine

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
www.theacc.com has the game. Pretty good quality on my machine

went there earlier and got redirected to ESPN3. Pushed a different button this time, thanks!

ForkFondler
Apparently, this is the subscribe to the ACC network or else game. If it were a seven o'clock game they'd have me, but I'd fall asleep watching this game on my ipad.

duke09hms
Our defense is looking better, but what happened to our O?

gcashwell
02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Guys are playing well, but I've never seen shooting like this. This has to turn around.

duke09hms
02-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Wow Gbinije in? K must be pulling out all the stops.

We're dying, and NC state is living by the 3.

Leslie is such a beast on D - swatted so many of our guys shots already, even after our good movement on offense.

RockyMtDevil
02-16-2012, 09:23 PM
What is up with this team? Why in the world do they start home games this way, its unbelievable to me how flat, anxious and nervous they get. This is the 26 game of the year, this stuff shouldn't be happening at this point.

lotusland
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Apparently, this is the subscribe to the ACC network or else game. If it were a seven o'clock game they'd have me, but I'd fall asleep watching this game on my ipad.

I didn't subscribe and I'm watching it

Chris Randolph
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
No bueno so far. Just can't hit a shot and it is leading to them getting some good looks on offense. Miles looking intimidated by Leslie and co. inside. Mason looks aggressive. Get some stops, hit some shots and we are back in it in this half. It's gonna be a close game, down to the wire but many people thought that coming in. NC State ain't too shabby

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
FSU came out very much like this vs VT, and lost at home. How do you beat UNC by 33 and lose to 3-7 VT?
edit: oops, no el lose-o.

MartyClark
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
What a bad start! We look slow and hung over.

duke09hms
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
FSU came out very much like this vs VT, and lost at home. How do you beat UNC by 33 and lose to 3-7 VT?

FSU beat VT 48-47

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
How many times does Miles have to F up the one-handed thunder dunk before he gets the message to stop doing it? Take it with 2 hands and maybe he gets the foul call.

CLW
02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Well another home game another FLAT start by the team and Crazies. Not looking good early, D is awful and the shots are not falling.

gep
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
holy smokes... down 15??? in the 1st half??? is the fat lady on stage yet??? I sure hope not:cool:

RockyMtDevil
Losing is one thing, getting punked at home is another. Once again, we face a team with 5 athletes who are quicker, longer, etc.. and they destroy us defensivelly. The UNC win masked a great deal of problems that this team has. This is ugly and sadly, we've seen it before. Same song, third verse.

Chris Randolph
CJ Leslie is absolutely owning Duke right now. Wow. The kid is talented but I didn't expect this. Is he Wilt Chamberlain?

0-8 from 3 pt range, at home. Most (minus the River's jack) have been open looks.

Oh boy this could be a looooooong night

ForkFondler
I didn't subscribe and I'm watching it

Yes, I latched on the the very low-res feed. Is it better if you pay?

But, down 15, I guess it's better this way.

Furniture
02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I think they were a little thrown off at the start by Currie going off. I think we will come back

Utley
I'd like to think I've been a believer in this team - even throughout the unc game. I'm finding it hard to rally right now though. We've spent more time double digits our last few games than I can remember. I'll keep believing but it's taking a lot

J4Kop99
I barely have any confidence in this team. That steal of a win in UNC really hid how badly we played for about 36 minutes of that game. We are getting ran out of our own building against NC state... that can't happen, especially this late in the year.

I have a hard time believing this team will make any serious noise (getting past the sweet 16) in the tournament. They are too inconsistent and don't play strong enough defense.

--I do think they will come back and make this a game though. If they don't and end up getting beaten by a large margin (+12) thats a pathetic loss.

gep
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Yes, I latched on the the very low-res feed. Is it better if you pay?

But, down 15, I guess it's better this way.

Sorry... I don't get this...

MartyClark
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Well another home game another FLAT start by the team and Crazies. Not looking good early, D is awful and the shots are not falling.

No offense, but this has little to do with the Crazies. It's on the team.

jipops
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I guess I don't look so foolish now when I stated several weeks ago that NC State is a threat to make some real noise in March. This is a very good team with a load of athleticism. Tonight looks liike a mismatch.

jaytoc
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Physically overmatched so far- too much quicks, too much strength

gep
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
the good news... only 2 more games at Cameron (VTech, unc)... rest of the games, including the ACCT and NCAAT are away from Cameron:cool:

gcashwell
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I think duke wins tonight. Seriously.

ForkFondler
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Sorry... I don't get this...

Basically, the idea is that is you are going to watch Duke clang baskets off the rim, it is better viewed on a really small screen. Hmmm, maybe the play-by-play would be better.

RockyMtDevil
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
There are at least 50 high school teams across the country with more athleticism that we have. This team is just assembled very strangely and is subject to getting torched when faced with long, athletic teams. Imagine having to play Kentucky or the Cuse...Having 5 guys who are basketball technicians, three guys who only play defense, zero wing players and nobody who can guard will make for one quick trip in March.

jipops
02-16-2012, 09:43 PM
If we can get it to single digits by half I think we're in good shape. But that requires stops which we seem incapable of at the moment.

slower
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
CJ Leslie is absolutely owning Duke right now. Wow. The kid is talented but I didn't expect this. Is he Wilt Chamberlain?

No. We are Neville Chamberlain.

PSurprise
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
At this point, let's have the guards play 5 feet off State's guards and see if they can hit 3s (other than Wood of course). Let's make them make some jumpshots instead of cruising to the rim (and1).

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
once again, another backcourt is just shredding our backcourt D. We have the worst defensive backcourt in the ACC.

CLW
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I cannot remember a Duke team that played this poorly on defense. They are slow to react make silly gambles and are simply not athletic enough to stop the dribble. The end to this season is not going to be pretty.

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Yes - try to get the single digits by half... but no spark right now.

17 pt margin now...

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I think what's most disappointing for me so far is that this same NCSU team just rolled over for UNC. They're a talented team, fully capable of doing what they're doing tonight. But they could have at least done it in Chapel Hill...

What sucks is that teams hit shots regardless of how closely guarded they are. The ball just falls in.

But luckily NCSU is foul prone and not very deep. So that's one thing that could bear watching in the 2nd half.

MartyClark
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
An awful first half, the worst I can remember. What's with this team?

gcashwell
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
An awful first half, the worst I can remember. What's with this team?
Tonight the defense started ok, but the shots weren't falling. This has now spread to the d too.

Channing
02-16-2012, 09:55 PM
(a) As long as our PG continues to get beat horribly off the dribble our entire D will suffer

(b) Cameron is embarrassingly quiet

(c) WHY DOES RYAN KELLY FLOP LIKE A DEAD FISH!!!! PLAY DEFENSE!

CLW
Kelly is AWFUL at attempting to draw charges. The ratio of blocks per charge has gotta be 4:1

DukieInBrasil
I'm getting so tired of Kelly picking up blocks under the basket. He knows he's gonna get the foul, so go up strong and foul hard. He's so soft around the basket.

BlueDGal
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
this team is playing with so little pride....honestly when the game starts, it seems like they are still in the parking lot on their way to the game.....ugly game by Duke. Hope they get back in it in the 2nd half.

slower
Glad I'm recording this. I'll go back and watch, if by some chance we happen to win. Otherwise, I have better ways to spend my time.

FerryFor50
Someone else said it on the boards before, but I wish Ryan Kelly would stop trying to take charges and start trying to block shots. No one is afraid to go to the rim if you just stand under it, but they're less likely to go to the rim if they're getting blocked or fouled hard.

RockyMtDevil
I don't see how things get much better unless we sign both Parker and Shabaaz. Kelly, MP1 and MP2, Curry, Hairston and Thornton aren't going to all of a sudden go to "Athlete camp" and learn how to run, jump and defend. The core of being a good defensive team is DNA, being strong, fast, long, quick, etc.. We have nobody that fits that on our team. Again, State, Baylor, Miami, FSU, et. al. recruit athletes....We have none at the guard and wing position and please don't tell me Dawkins is just because his is the only guard we have that can dunk.

I'm absolutely blown away at how poorly this team defends. The '95 team would make this team look bad. This is embarrasing. Owned at home by State.

mattman91
I'm sick and tired of this flopping b.s. Put your damn hands up and try to alter the shot every once in a while. Damn!

RockyMtDevil
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
(a) As long as our PG continues to get beat horribly off the dribble our entire D will suffer

Um, because he can't play defense.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Um, because he can't play defense.

Not true. He can block shots. He just needs to stop trying to draw charges.

jaytoc
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
We're just up against a superior team tonight. We've got good kids, good ballplayers, they're trying hard, and that's all you can ask. Simply not good enough tonight, and it will happen again. A nice Duke team, even a good one, just not a really good one.

lotusland
There are at least 50 high school teams across the country with more athleticism that we have. This team is just assembled very strangely and is subject to getting torched when faced with long, athletic teams. Imagine having to play Kentucky or the Cuse...Having 5 guys who are basketball technicians, three guys who only play defense, zero wing players and nobody who can guard will make for one quick trip in March.

I'm sure there's some other stuff on you can watch

CLW
Allowing 55% shooting; -7 on the boards; -3 assists; -3 turnovers; -3 blocks = down 16 at the half. Going to need another miracle but unlike the UNC game I don't see the same heart/intensity/effort which would lead me to believe its even possible.

FerryFor50
I'm sure there's some other stuff on you can watch

Other places to post, too. :)

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Bring on the "B" team...
Need something to get a spark.

Come on Duke - show some frickin' intensity, fire!

I want to se them come out in 2H just PO'd!

We can't keep digging deep holes in the first half and then EXPECT to be able to come back in the second half. Just unacceptable. :mad:

Shots WILL start to fall, but we need some D stops to get back in it.

Channing
getting blown out in Cameron ... smh...

mndukie
I don't get all the hate on the Crazies tonight. They are the LEAST of our problems. I think they've been great ESPECIALLY given the circumstances (down 16).

Also, can announcers please stop throwing around the phrase "high basketball IQ"? I believe it was mentioned with Kelly earlier and while he has moments his flopping, lack of rebounding and propensity to get beat time after time defensively really disparages that comment. I would argue that this team has an alarmingly low basketball IQ in respects to defense and careless turnovers.

That said, it was a terrible first half so Next Play and let's come out blazin' in the second half.

Cameron
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Drive home safely.

:(

PSurprise
The thing about this team is how consistently bad their defense is. I've seen them play this poorly for a half, or for half of a half, but night-in, night-out, this team lacks the passion on the defensive end. No one's willing to step up, no one's leading in the huddle. Unfortunately, at this point in the season, I'm starting to give up hope that this can be rectified. If it hasn't already, it won't. Period. While I will never give up rooting for these guys, this team's ceiling is probably a loss in semifinals of the ACC Tournament and the Sweet Sixteen loss.

Channing
I don't get all the hate on the Crazies tonight. They are the LEAST of our problems. I think they've been great ESPECIALLY given the circumstances (down 16).

Also, can announcers please stop throwing around the phrase "high basketball IQ"? I believe it was mentioned with Kelly earlier and while he has moments his flopping, lack of rebounding and propensity to get beat time after time defensively really disparages that comment. I would argue that this team has an alarmingly low basketball IQ in respects to defense and careless turnovers.

That said, it was a terrible first half so Next Play and let's come out blazin' in the second half.

because ... during the timeout when they were checking the clock the crazies were silent - you could hear individual voices. We get frustrated with the players on the court when they don't perform to expectations ... why not the same for our "6th man"?

FerryFor50
I don't see intensity in the half as an issue. I see State shots falling and Duke shots not falling. Both teams are getting the same number of open looks. State is hitting some contested shots. The question is, can State keep hitting at 55%? I doubt it... but if they do, no one's beating them.

Bluedog
I don't see how things get much better unless we sign both Parker and Shabaaz. Kelly, MP1 and MP2, Curry, Hairston and Thornton aren't going to all of a sudden go to "Athlete camp" and learn how to run, jump and defend. The core of being a good defensive team is DNA, being strong, fast, long, quick, etc.. We have nobody that fits that on our team. Again, State, Baylor, Miami, FSU, et. al. recruit athletes....We have none at the guard and wing position and please don't tell me Dawkins is just because his is the only guard we have that can dunk.

I'm absolutely blown away at how poorly this team defends. The '95 team would make this team look bad. This is embarrasing. Owned at home by State.

I'm not happy about this first half either, but are you serious!? Exaggerate much? 50 high school teams in the nation are more athletic than Duke, which is full of top 25 recruits? Come on...We're playing poorly this half, but we have 21 wins and only 4 losses. We're 3-1 vs. the top 10 in the nation and are currently tied for the lead for the ACC. Worse than 1995?! Some people need to get some perspective. This is a good team. We don't dominate opponents, but we have the ability to beat some quality opponents as we've shown throughout the season.

Hopefully, our D improves and we show more toughness to put us in the category to be a Final Four contender, but at the very least, this team is not something we should be so embarrassed by. It's ridiculous. Seems like this is in the game thread EVERY single game. UConn was ranked pre-season top 4 (and all pundits said the top 4 was head and shoulders above the rest) and probably won't even make the tournament. We have 4 losses and Duke fans act like it's the apocalypse. I, for one, think we're going to turn it around this game and come out with the victory. Let's go Duke!

DUKIE V(A)
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Kelly is AWFUL at attempting to draw charges. The ratio of blocks per charge has gotta be 4:1

How quickly we forget?

BlueandWhite
02-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Giving up 46 points at home to any team - totally unacceptable. Absolutely awful defense, totally unacceptable for a Duke basketball team. I agree with one other poster, this may be the worst defensive Duke team I have ever seen.

Having said that -- I expect, after whatever Coach K says to them at halftime, to see a different level of effort/execution in the 2nd half. They can't possibly shoot that poorly for a second half in a row, and State is bound to get into foul trouble. I think it's going to be close at the end, just not sure whether Duke can overcome a 16 point deficit.

FerryFor50
Good thing there are two halves, right?

Channing
can someone explain to me how TT gets beat off the dribble every single time down court? He may be a good help defender, but his on ball skills are extremely subpar. Every time he gets beat off the dribble he looks to blame it on someone else too...

mattman91
This is pathetic all around.

Nice to see Josh playing hard and making an impact, though.

In the second half were going to have to take it strong to the hole and hope to get them into further foul trouble. Defensively, we are going to have to actually show up. Enough of this flopping every time State goes up in or around the paint. What is this, middle school girls basketball?

brumby041
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM

In fairness, even for this era, this PG really carries the ball a lot!

Chris Randolph
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm going to put this as best I can without getting banished:

How in the heck do you, Duke, ranked #4 in the nation (extremely over rated), tied for the ACC lead, playing at home, come out and play like this??!!! I mean it is ridiculous. It amazes me how some guys just vanish in games, especially home games where you are supposed to have an advantage not so much the crowd but familiarity with the rims/court/setting. This is such an immature team and I don't wanna hear the "we are inexperienced" crap. There are MANY more inexperienced teams than Duke and most of them are less talented.

I don't understand how as a so called competitor, players can continue to come out so lifeless and play so poorly in what are big games.

Channing
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
In fairness, even for this era, this PG really carries the ball a lot!

I could accept that if this didn't happen every single game.

johnny2001
come on man. even the worst duke teams of the last 10 years didn't lay effort eggs like this one is prone to do. down 16 at half to nc st? come on man. there are reasons why the home crowd is off this year and its because the product on the court has been no where near as good as it is capable of and materially worse than it is away from home. enough with the fans man. the fans aren't the problem...the problem is this team is terrible defensively. i'm the biggest duke supporter there is but i don't hide from the truth. the stats tell you this team CAN'T play D. coach k must be disgusted with these young men. there is no heart and there is no grit from the team consistently. there are only highs and lows. there is no consistent defensive effort. bend your knees, move your feet and lock your man up! that's it. simple as that. come on.

mndukie
because ... during the timeout when they were checking the clock the crazies were silent - you could hear individual voices. We get frustrated with the players on the court when they don't perform to expectations ... why not the same for our "6th man"?

We're down 16, what do you expect? The team isn't giving them a ton to cheer for and from what I've witnessed thus far via the broadcast the Crazies have stayed loud throughout the game play begging for something to get CRAZY about.

brumby041
can someone explain to me how TT gets beat off the dribble every single time down court? He may be a good help defender, but his on ball skills are extremely subpar. Every time he gets beat off the dribble he looks to blame it on someone else too...

Explanation: Their point guard is not required to follow the rules of basketball regarding carrying the ball. Does that help?

Chris Randolph
02-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't see intensity in the half as an issue. I see State shots falling and Duke shots not falling. Both teams are getting the same number of open looks. State is hitting some contested shots. The question is, can State keep hitting at 55%? I doubt it... but if they do, no one's beating them.

Plenty of teams have and will beat them. They are hitting a high percentage of shots because that is what Duke has been allowing teams to do all season.

lotusland
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Josh made a solid contribution. A couple of strong moves to the basket and some strong play on defense. Yeah he also got beat once or twice too.

wk2109

I'm tired of your sweeping and dramatic statements of negativity. This team has proved you wrong time and time again and will continue to do so if you keep raising such ridiculous complaints. Your posts don't add anything to the discussion and just serve to annoy the actual Duke fans on this board who understand that this is an imperfect but nevertheless pretty good team.

Ping Lin
I have nothing to add to this debacle but the following:

I hope to see some zone D in the second half. And perhaps some wholesale substitutions.

Channing
We're down 16, what do you expect? The team isn't giving them a ton to cheer for and from what I've witnessed thus far via the broadcast the Crazies have stayed loud throughout the game play begging for something to get CRAZY about.

then call yourself what you are ... an ordinary, every day, run of the mill fan. Don't proclaim to be the team's 6th man.

Chris Randolph
02-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Explanation: Their point guard is not required to follow the rules of basketball regarding carrying the ball. Does that help?

Excuse. Im pretty sure Austin Rivers gets away with traveling and carrying the ball multiple times in a game. Thornton has been beaten off the dribble, back door a few times and in transition. Brutal

Saratoga2
We just gave up 46 points in the half, which doesn't say good things about the defense. Add to that very poor shooting and you have a team which doesn't look like a top ten team or even a top 25 team. What is it with the terrible starts at home? Coach K was looking for a spark but where does he find it? This may be too big a hole to dig out of, especially with the defense sooo porous.

We had seen the team start to gel last week with Seth, Miles, Mason, Ryan and Austin playing quite well and Thornton as a role player. Tonight the old bugaboos have hit. Austin running into fouls or getting blocked, Miles missing in close, poor shooting from the guards too. I don't know if I can stand watching the second half.

FerryFor50
Plenty of teams have and will beat them. They are hitting a high percentage of shots because that is what Duke has been allowing teams to do all season.

It's hard to blame defense when NCSU is hitting plenty of contested shots.

mattman91
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I have nothing to add to this debacle but the following:

I hope to see some zone D in the second half. And perhaps some wholesale substitutions.

Sorry, I'm a Duke fan....what is this "zone d" you speak of?

Furniture
02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
UNC hangover......

CLW
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
When was the last time Duke gave up 100 at CIS?

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
When was the last time Duke gave up 100 at CIS?

Doesn't matter because it's not happening tonight.

mndukie
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Man the Crazies sure are loud...

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
And here comes the predictable NCSU meltdown....

duke09hms
02-16-2012, 10:19 PM
nc state foul trouble could save us - I feel like we're UNC haha

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
LOL....This is zebramania....How many fouls have they called in the first 3 minutes?

The Slamming Butcher
02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
State is not going to have many of their starters left after the 10:00 mark...

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I have had it with this team. I'm done with the Plumlee's, done with Kelly, and done with Dawkins. No prideful Duke team gets blown out at home. This is an embaressment and they should be ashamed of wearing DUKE across their chests. Onto next year and beyond.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Refs must have been lonely. Those whistles got awfully active.

Channing
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't understand why Hairston gets so many minutes. He takes horrible shots and is severely overmatched on defense. If we want to get back into this it is going to take smart shots ... not whatever garbage Hairston and Cook are throwing up.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I have had it with this team. I'm done with the Plumlee's, done with Kelly, and done with Dawkins. No prideful Duke team gets blown out at home. This is an embaressment and they should be ashamed of wearing DUKE across their chests. Onto next year and beyond.

I'm sure there will be room on the bandwagon another year. I can't understand how someone can be so down on a team that's ranked 5th, is 21-4 and beat UNC at Chapel Hill. :confused:

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, if they're gonna call every little touch, then we need to be going inside and creating contacty consistently. Foul out their front line!!

DukieInBrasil
The only thing consistent about this team, is how inconsistent they are. I can't believe this is the team that beat UNC @ CH, or KU or MSU. I mean those are good teams, and none of them were at home. It seems like this team plays like they don't want to give the Crazies a reason to go crazy. I can't believe the utter lack of chemistry that this team plays with. Even when they beat UNC they didn't play with chemistry.

FerryFor50
Well, if they're gonna call every little touch, then we need to be going inside and creating contacty consistently. Foul out their front line!!

That's a heckuva lot better than seeing Hairston shoot contested jumpers. :)

jipops
02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Spurt over.

Forget who has more McD's. State looks like the team with more talent.

muzikfrk75
02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Ball don't lie.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
it's hack-a-Rivers time. Just foul him hard, he won't beat you from the FT line.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Leslie with 4 fouls. Howell with 3 fouls. CJ Williams with 4 fouls. 14 min left... still a lot of time left.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Miles got stripped AGAIN on a rebound?

Channing
02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
this is an abomination.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
well, they deserve to lose this game. Can't defend the homecourt for nothing.

Channing
02-16-2012, 10:34 PM
wow ... this team gets the dubious distinction of getting blown out and run off their own court ... no heart and no basketball smarts.

Surely we have seen enough teams come back when we have a large lead to have some idea of how it is supposed to go...

UrinalCake
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Gotta stop jacking up threes, let's get the ball inside or drive. Their whole team is in foul trouble and we're just helping them out by not making them play any defense. There's still plenty of time.

6th Man
This is pathetic. Awful effort by the team.

IBleedBlue
Our offense is not clicking and our defense is non-existent. Combine that with bad decision making and another team is blowing us away in our home court.
We are basically giving away big dance tickets to all mid-tier teams in ACC. First to miami and today to NCST.

_Gary
I thought we'd make a typical run to start the 2nd half and be able to overcome the deficit and take the lead by the mid-way point of the 2nd half. So much for that. At this point in the game, it's going to take a MAJOR meltdown by State to give Duke a shot at winning. I'm hard-pressed to find anything up to this point that leads me to believe they have any chance at a comeback. Right now this is truly an embarrassing butt-kicking.

The Slamming Butcher
This team is simply slow and not fundamentally sound. Lots of fun to watch at times, maddeningly inept at others.

mattman91
Off to go slit my wrist with Roy and Tyler...

johnpope
02-16-2012, 10:36 PM

I couldn't agree more! And for the people who inanely argue the CRAZIES are not loud enough, you should be thankful they're not BOOING them, which is what they would deserve for tonight's performance!

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Our offense is not clicking and our defense is non-existent. Combine that with bad decision making and another team is blowing us away in our home court.
We are basically giving away big dance tickets to all mid-tier teams in ACC. First to miami and today to NCST.

So what teams blew Duke out at home this year?

None.

One team blew out Duke - Ohio State. At OSU.

Sometimes teams get hot and Duke gets cold.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
It's just one of those nights. Mason's hustle play where he dives, gets the ball, passes it back, gets it back, goes open for a wide open dunk (wait for the crowd to go CRAZY), and then CLANK. That play pretty much said it all.

Hey, at least it's not at 33 (yet).:D

hq2
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Right now this is truly an embarrassing butt-kicking.

Embarrassing, maybe, but not all that surprising. I mean, they did it 2 years ago too.
This is another one of those teams we just don't match up with. It happens.

SouthPointDFan
02-16-2012, 10:38 PM
this is an abomination.

Shameful and embarrassing. Duke looks like a pick-up team at the local park and rec league.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Duke needs to start cutting into this lead. Get within single digits by the 6 minute mark and we have a ball game again.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
It's just one of those nights. Mason's hustle play where he dives, gets the ball, passes it back, gets it back, goes open for a wide open dunk (wait for the crowd to go CRAZY), and then CLANK. That play pretty much said it all.

Hey, at least it's not at 33 (yet).:D

And it won't be 33. Duke's got more heart than the chumps in Chapel Hill. No rolling over here.

Mr.Analogy
02-16-2012, 10:40 PM
wow ... this team gets the dubious distinction of getting blown out and run off their own court ... no heart and no basketball smarts.

Surely we have seen enough teams come back when we have a large lead to have some idea of how it is supposed to go...

This is painful...damned. To get humiliated at home....well it should be a short run come tourney time. This team isnt the fourth best team in the nation, nowhere close.

Nobody can choke like Duke! Thanks guys! Another let down! Maybe next year!

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Come on guys. Let's just get a little run going! Actually take advantage of their foul trouble please!!

State isn't as confident as they seem - get em rattled some....

AluminumDuke
02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really like Quinn Cook's game. But he is now 11 of 45 (24%) from three point range this season. He's 28 of 51 (55%) from inside the arc. Can the coaches not encourage him to use the more highly developed aspects of his offensive game rather than settling for 3 pointers?

jipops
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I actually don't think this is a bad effort. I think we're just getting our butts kicked by a better team on a night when our shooters are cold. We're a bad defensive team, that much we already know. Combine a cold shooting night with an opponent with a rather large athletic advantage then there is a recipe for a blowout.

It's a just a very, very bad matchup. If we play them again the result could very well end up being the same.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
This entire game can be a teaching moment. What not to do when you get down big, shot selection, defense...

A lot of this year has been Duke pulling out games at the end or just coming up short. Maybe a butt kicking is what they need... (But I'll take a come from behind win) :)

jipops
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Come on guys. Let's just get a little run going! Actually take advantage of their foul trouble please!!

State isn't as confident as they seem - get em rattled some....

As G Man pointed out, it's hard to take advantage of State's foul issues shooting 3's, which we are not making tonight.

DUKIE V(A)
02-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Foul trouble could make this interesting. Long way to go.

Chris Randolph
Gotta give credit to NC State. Sure, Duke has been bad, but as bad as Duke has been, NC State has been just as good. With a guard who can do it all and is a stat stuffer like Brown, combined with a lot of athletic players (especially bigs) that is the absolute best recipe to beat Duke.

Obviously this year's team is so disappointing at times, even in some wins. But it is what it is and there is not much else to say. For the rest of the year, just watch and hope these embarassments are over with.

Hey, you never know. We've made a big comeback before, stay tuned....

The Slamming Butcher
OK...this may be the final stand...LET'S GO BOYS!!!

cbnaylor
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I think Duke should start pressing.

CLW
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
and the Live Feed goes down on theacc.com putting me out of my misery.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I think Duke should start pressing.

They just did.... time for the run!

coldriver10
02-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not one to usually post on game day threads, but I just have to get this off my chest. I have never seen a Duke team so lackadaisical, so lacking in effort, heart, and passion, than this team. I'm embarrassed for them. I would be more proud of this team if we were to lose every game but give maximal effort than win but play like we couldn't care less. I'd love to think that tonight's game will be a learning lesson, but I said that following Temple. And FSU. And Miami. I'm not holding my breath.

But as disgusted at this team as I can get at times, they have my full, unwavering support.

Let's go Duke!

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
This State team is young and not all that experienced at defending leads late against a blitzkrieg offense. Get em rattled, and in foul trouble, and we can still make a rune here....

But gotta play D!!!:eek:

FerryFor50
Weird how the game changes when you start hitting shots.... :)

Single digits inside of 9 minutes. Feeling good about our chances!

johnpope
I'm not one to usually post on game day threads, but I just have to get this off my chest. I have never seen a Duke team so lackadaisical, so lacking in effort, heart, and passion, than this team. I'm embarrassed for them. I would be more proud of this team if we were to lose every game but give maximal effort than win but play like we couldn't care less. I'd love to think that tonight's game will be a learning lesson, but I said that following Temple. And FSU. And Miami. I'm not holding my breath.

But as disgusted at this team as I can get at times, they have my full, unwavering support.

Let's go Duke!

Even if they come back and win, there are still huge questions marks going forward in March...

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Even if they come back and win, there are still huge questions marks going forward in March...

Who cares? All but 4 teams in the country have huge question marks. Enjoy the journey and worry about March when it gets here.

lotusland
02-16-2012, 10:51 PM
and the Live Feed goes down on theacc.com putting me out of my misery.

This used to happen every time with Raycom. Say what you want about ESPN annoumcers but they have the best stream. According to the gametracker we cut it to 9 so maybe the ESPN replay will be worth watching.

The Slamming Butcher
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM

With this team, I'm not thinking very far beyond February 16th. Day by day, game by game.

Sgt. Dingleberry
BTW, what did we ever do to you Alex Johnson? Where the heck is this coming from?

DUKIE V(A)
Aside from the obvious need to get stops...would love to see the team attack the hoop

CLW
02-16-2012, 10:54 PM
for anyone else having problems at theacc.com stream found a really crappy stream at justin tv that at least you can listen to.

http://www.justin.tv/isucyclones2015#/w/2621682320

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
IF Duke is going to win this game from this point...

- hit FTs when you get chances
- secure rebounds
- hit some shots

Otherwise do the same as you've been doing!

-bdbd
This used to happen every time with Raycom. Say what you want about ESPN annoumcers but they have the best stream. According to the gametracker we cut it to 9 so maybe the ESPN replay will be worth watching.

ESPN still up on-line...

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast?gameId=320470150

brumby041
OK. They just showed Julius Hodges in the stands...one of the dirtiest players in ACC history. I think I just puked a little...

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
OK. They just showed Julius Hodges in the stands...one of the dirtiest players in ACC history. I think I just puked a little...

Chris Paul was dirtier. Remember who hit who in the junk...

The Slamming Butcher
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Down to 7...the earth is beginning to crumble underneath State's feet

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
So the same people crying about Duke's effort when they were down 17 are nowhere to be found now that it's within 7....

jipops
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Atleast it won't be a blowout

chaosmage
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm curious where the other required verb is in the sentence on his shirt...

And I agree with the other poster.. Chris Paul has phantom pain when he sees Hodge.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Within 3. Over/under on the "fans" who bailed coming back?

CLW
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
dr. jekyll and mr. hyde

brumby041
Chris Paul was dirtier. Remember who hit who in the junk...

True...but CP isn't in our house grinning like a fool while his team shoots 85% from the floor...

jipops
So the same people crying about Duke's effort when they were down 17 are nowhere to be found now that it's within 7....

As I posted earlier, I don't think this has been about effort. I think State has been a bad matchup for us. The foul issues have evened this out and it has helped us in the comeback.

Sgt. Dingleberry
LOL...Awesome run guys. This team is a heart attack.

lotusland
3 point game!

The Slamming Butcher
If Duke takes the lead, the roof might literally blow off of that building

FerryFor50
As I posted earlier, I don't think this has been about effort. I think State has been a bad matchup for us. The foul issues have evened this out and it has helped us in the comeback.

Hitting shots and State coming back to earth has helped the most. State is not a lights out shooting team.

The Slamming Butcher
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
That was goaltending on BOTH ends

Chris Randolph
Goaltending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jipops
Hitting shots and State coming back to earth has helped the most. State is not a lights out shooting team.

And the looks have been better because of State's foul issues.

FerryFor50
That was goaltending on BOTH ends

Yep, but Duke gets all the calls, right?

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I thought Leslie's putback dunk was fine. His "block" on Rivers clearly looked like goaltending.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:04 PM
And the looks have been better because of State's foul issues.

I disagree. Duke had a lot of the same looks earlier in the game that didn't fall. And Andre Dawkins has just been pulling up from Cary.

MartyClark
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Within 3. Over/under on the "fans" who bailed coming back?

I'm still here. Pulling for a Duke win. Win or lose, this was a remarkably poor performance.

-bdbd
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Patience guys. Little bites. Plenty of time, so we don't need it all at once. Keep playing tough D. Work for good shots.

State affraid of contact....

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm still here. Pulling for a Duke win. Win or lose, this was a remarkably poor performance.

For most of the game yes. But not the past 10 minutes. :)

The Slamming Butcher
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought Leslie's putback dunk was fine. His "block" on Rivers clearly looked like goaltending.

You are correct...I rewound it and it was off the rim

CLW
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
It's like the team doesn't feel challenged until they are down 20 with 10 minutes remaining.

lotusland
the lead!!!

dairedevil
Just when I was ready to give up.....

FerryFor50
Either State is tired. Or tight.

I doubt tired since most of the team has been "resting" with foul trouble all game. :)

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Knock down the fts austin

CLW
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow State just IMPLODING down the stretch.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow. Stepped out. HILARIOUS!

Close it out boys!

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Julius Hodge just looked like he got punched in the junk.

(too soon?)

BleedsP287
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
See ya CJ!

dairedevil
02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Aaaaah ...See Ya!! x2

and sink those free throws!

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Terrible foul. TERRIBLE. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

DUKIE V(A)
02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Game not over yet...would love a wood miss.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Game not over yet...would love a wood miss.

Ask and ye shall receive!

DUKIE V(A)
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Ask and ye shall receive!

Amazing. I was really nervous of a down 2 situation with an NC State 3 attempt to win.

FerryFor50
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Now that's the NC State we all know and love... if basketball games were only 1 half, NCSU would be national champs.

dball
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Whew!

BleedsP287
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Epic win!

gcashwell
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I think duke wins tonight. Seriously.

I am a wizard.