PDA

View Full Version : ol' roy Offers to Kill Himself

BD80
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Tyler Zeller had a chance to be my all-time favorite tar heel:

"We had a chance to visit and [Zeller] said I was one of the few guys who could make him laugh," Williams said, ... "I asked him Thursday night when I called him late, I said 'Are you thinking about getting the knives out and slicing your wrist?' He said 'Maybe.' I said, 'Well if you're gonna do that then call me and I'll come do it with you.' "

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34801291

I guess the suicide joke has caused a bit of furor. ol' roy just doesn't have a filter does he? It's one thing to kid around with Zeller like that and make him laugh, but why share the story with the media? He is just a buffoon.

Reilly
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
"I was one of the few guys who could make him laugh," Williams said ...

Roy makes me laugh, too.

oldnavy
02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Tyler Zeller had a chance to be my all-time favorite tar heel:

"We had a chance to visit and [Zeller] said I was one of the few guys who could make him laugh," Williams said, ... "I asked him Thursday night when I called him late, I said 'Are you thinking about getting the knives out and slicing your wrist?' He said 'Maybe.' I said, 'Well if you're gonna do that then call me and I'll come do it with you.' "

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34801291

I guess the suicide joke has caused a bit of furor. ol' roy just doesn't have a filter does he? It's one thing to kid around with Zeller like that and make him laugh, but why share the story with the media? He is just a buffoon.

That's it exactly. Why share this with the media?? Same as with the Haiti thing, he just doesn't know when to be quite...

BluDvlsN1
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Sadly.. Laughable!!

Zeller is a quality young student athlete(competitor or not) by anyones standards!
He came back to try to win,he's the one guy that never quits even at the FlaSt fiasco!

He's looking for encouragement and direction and this is what he recieves!

Once again, even in jest! Unforgiveable

tb3
02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Roy has already killed his fashion sense

SmartDevil
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Sometimes the jokes or quips people make reveal a great deal about a person and who he is and what might be going on deeper inside him on a metaphoric or masked level. Not sure if this falls into that category.

But I've always wondered about Roy. He is quite an unusual fellow, is he not?

He is a charmer when recruiting and yet seems to struggle in his relationships with people, including, at times, the same people he recruited.

He often doesn't relate well to his team's own fan base and instead of inspiring them calls them out, exacerbating problems rather than healing, inspiring, and leading.

He often has no filters (as others have pointed out). I'd add that at times he has no brakes.

He's compiled an impressive coaching resume. But that also includes some noteworthy foot-in-mouth moments.

I wonder what lies ahead for Roy.

BluDvlsN1
02-12-2012, 03:06 PM
That's it exactly. Why share this with the media?? Same as with the Haiti thing, he just doesn't know when to be quite...

Possibly the best response for Zeller could have been:
You first coach!!!

oldnavy
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Most of the things that Ol Roy says that come back to bite him are really not that bad if kept in private and in the original context. The problem is that HE seems to have this need within himself to put it out in the public realm after the fact. I don't know if he thinks it is funny or what, but he really needs to know that repeating these hyperbolic overstatements about suicide, and how losing a few games in a season is on level with thousands of real deaths is not funny the second time around. Yes, maybe your massage therapist giggled and maybe Zeller laughed, but there is no need to repeat it. It almost like he is saying to the press/public, hey look I made a funny... like me!! Please like me!!

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I would love to pile on, but I'm afraid this is kinda getting bent out of proportion, no? He was commiserating with a player with whom he obviously has a close relationship after both of them went through a traumatic and devastating loss.

I'm sure we can find better things about which to bash Roy. That jacket being one of them. Or Old Navy's avatar, which makes me laugh every time I've seen that for the last year and a half. Roy's a maroon.

CameronBlue
02-12-2012, 03:34 PM
This is a non-issue. Roy is impulsive says some crazy things but we're now criticizing him for speaking in cliches. He's no Henny Youngman that's about as far as it goes.