PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Gray Unis and Grumpy Geezers

Turk
02-11-2012, 10:28 PM
There is a hypothesis that the young'uns, with eyes and hearts open to new ideas and experiences, free of old biases, love the gray unis. The old fogeys, resistant to change and fossilized in thought, can't understand how Duke wound up wearing Georgetown's unis. Let's see what the numbers say! Vote early and vote often!! Poll-skew away!!

Greg_Newton
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I'd only have a problem if they were a regular alternate or something. If it's just a one game thing, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned...

Although I thought the "rise as one" thing ten minutes before tipoff was pretty dumb. Everyone stood up, and the Nike promo banner came up, and everyone was like... so what did we rise for, exactly?

Grey Devil
02-12-2012, 01:29 AM
What I object to is the implication in the title of the thread that anyone over 30 is a "grumpy geezer."

As a proud member of the class of '71 and therefore more than twice the age of any 30-year old (do the math) I don't feel anywhere near "geezerhood"......although I do feel a little grumpy just thinking about it. ;)

And BTW, I hated the uniform colors even though my login name is,

Grey Devil

BigWayne
02-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Tradition is not the problem. They make us look like we play for Georgetown and you can't see the numbers.

loldevilz
02-12-2012, 02:51 AM
But we can all agree that they are better than the black alternates

Lord Ash
02-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Taste has no age requirement.

And no, the black uniforms BLOW THEM AWAY. COMPLETELY BLOW THEM AWAY.

http://www.coolmarriedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/g_battier_ct.jpg

anon
02-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Tradition is not the problem. They make us look like we play for Georgetown and you can't see the numbers.

This is my biggest problem. Isn't contrast one of the basic elements of good design?

Jim3k
02-12-2012, 03:26 AM
But we can all agree that they are better than the black alternates

No, we can't. Not only am I a traditonalist, I like the name on the front: DUKE. Not BLUE DEVILS. I like to be able to read the numbers--and the names on the back, if I have to, though by this stage of the season, I recognize the top seven players simply by their body type. I'm not certain about them after Hairston, so a number or a name helps; but, I can't see either on these grays.

Today, the Arizona Wildcats also wore Nike grays. On the front it said: ZONA. Huh? That's worse than BLUE DEVILS. ZONA isn't even a nickname; it's chat room slang. College teams need their official name on the front; something that is traditional to the institution (okay, STATE without a modifier might be vague). Well, maybe I could stomach WHITE PHANTOMS on the front of the UNC jerseys, but that would simply be my personal tweaking of the rivalry. Even TAR HEELS would seem wrong.

Nike is messing with the holy. And they are doing it to sell gear. I say 'Throw them out of the temple!' They should cease and desist!

loldevilz
02-12-2012, 03:39 AM
My point is that we seem to play well in the gray jerseys. We invariably play bad in the blacks. I care a lot more about winning than how we look when we play.

anon
02-12-2012, 03:44 AM
My point is that we seem to play well in the gray jerseys. We invariably play bad in the blacks. I care a lot more about winning than how we look when we play.

You're basing this on a sample size of one game?

1999ballboy
02-12-2012, 03:44 AM
If the numbers and names were blue, I think I would actually like them. Really. But now, there isn't nearly enough contrast and they're really hard to read.

gep
02-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Sorry... It's UGLY... And I HATE them. Win or lose. Nike is getting like AT&T and all the others

Jim3k
02-12-2012, 04:15 AM
No, we can't. Not only am I a traditonalist, I like the name on the front: DUKE. Not BLUE DEVILS. I like to be able to read the numbers--and the names on the back, if I have to, though by this stage of the season, I recognize the top seven players simply by their body type. I'm not certain about them after Hairston, so a number or a name helps; but, I can't see either on these grays.

Today, the Arizona Wildcats also wore Nike grays. On the front it said: ZONA. Huh? That's worse than BLUE DEVILS. ZONA isn't even a nickname; it's chat room slang. College teams need their official name on the front; something that is traditional to the institution (okay, STATE without a modifier might be vague). Well, maybe I could stomach WHITE PHANTOMS on the front of the UNC jerseys, but that would simply be my personal tweaking of the rivalry. Even TAR HEELS would seem wrong.

Nike is messing with the holy. And they are doing it to sell gear. I say 'Throw them out of the temple!' They should cease and desist!

Correction. I was misinformed about when the Arizona Wildcats were to wear the grays--err...Platinums. It was not against Utah on Saturday as I said. It will be on February 25 against UCLA (http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/new-arizona-basketball-uniforms-are-silver/article_654ed596-476a-11e1-97fc-0019bb2963f4.html).

camion
02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry, but the ZONA uniforms look like they should be hanging in Spiderman's closet, not a basketball locker.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/05/e059bc66-4778-11e1-bdef-0019bb2963f4/4f2039dcef7fb.preview-300.png

Then again I'm over 31. Been there twice.

Ggallagher
02-12-2012, 08:17 AM
OK - I'm class of 1970, but wasn't even slightly grumpy until seeing these uni's. I watched the game with my strongly UNC-connected relatives - which primes me for being a little grumpy to start with. But when a couple of them commented that:
a) wow, those are ugly, and
b) when the light hits them right, that looks like "our" blue....

...that's it, they've hit the limit of absolute, terrible ugliness.

Is there anything that goes beyond being similar to "that" blue???????

hudlow
02-12-2012, 09:13 AM
BLUE Devils.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't like the gray uniforms, and I don't like my gray hair, either! :cool:

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Compromise: Miles wears grey, Austin wears same road jersey as from Chapel Hill, rest of team wears whatever.

Turk
02-12-2012, 09:37 AM
What I object to is the implication in the title of the thread that anyone over 30 is a "grumpy geezer."

As a proud member of the class of '71 and therefore more than twice the age of any 30-year old (do the math) I don't feel anywhere near "geezerhood"......although I do feel a little grumpy just thinking about it. ;)

And BTW, I hated the uniform colors even though my login name is,

Grey Devil

No offense intended, Grey Devil. I'm getting closer and closer to doubling up myself... On further reflection, the alliteration is lame and unoriginal, and maybe going with something like "young at heart" or "young in spirit" would have been the better way to go...

allenmurray
02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
We should know who we are. Instead we are letting Nike tell us who we should be.

Bob Green
02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm old, I'm grumpy and I hate the gray uniforms. Too bad the poll wasn't set-up as a public poll.

Kimist
02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
From the title of this thread, I feared it was another one discussing those "older folks" in Cameron Indoor Stadium who do not sit on (stand on) the bleachers.

But I once was "downstairs" and viewed Bubas and Verga and Lind miracles, and was later elevated to a somewhat higher position.

k

Indoor66
02-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm old, I'm grumpy and I hate the gray uniforms. Too bad the poll wasn't set-up as a public poll.

I didn't realize you were so New Age, Bob. LOL

buddy
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm old, sometimes grumpy, and think the grey unis look like bad junior high school gym unis.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2012, 11:23 AM
It's been my understanding that school colors are intended to identify a school, be part of a school's identity, maybe a holdover from the historic days of the battlefield. I look forward to and enjoy innovation which amplifies our school's identity and image. When the fare presented makes Duke look like somebody else or has an overly profit seeking quality, I don't find it attractive.

While we're discussing last night's ensemble, let's focus on the shoes which were a soft mouse gray trimmed with a shade of blue that seemed somehow diluted. Some folks were heard mummering that the shoes looked suitable for a mouse character in a special effects film.

In this day of endless possibilities thanks to chemistry, surely an innovative, comfortable fabric, such as one made from recycled water bottles, could be made in a variety of attractive hues to please the needs of a variety of customers.

Since we're talking about uniforms, I would like to note that the Maryland uniforms, an Underarmor product, looked a bit like something for Spiderman or some other cartoon super hero. The choice of red and black rather than some other combinations of colors from the Maryland state flag avoided the unfortunate look of decorating with condiments.

Regarding my demographics, I am over 30 and I have graduated to upstairs after a storied career downstairs.:cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I trust someone will run the numbers at some point to see if there are any interesting age-related findings, correlations or whatever. I suspect in this case that both new eyes and old eyes (like mine) know ugly when they see it.

allenmurray
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Although Everyone stood up, and the Nike promo banner came up, and everyone was like... so what did we rise for, exactly?

We rose for the pledge!

I pledge allegiance to the swoosh of the Nike States of America,
and to the profit margin for which it stands,
one corporation under Phil Knight,
indistinguishable,
with tradition and loyalty for none.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Count me as "old/hate it." I'm happy to see that we are unified in our dislike of the jerseys, but I'm actually more interested to see that:

a) It appears the vast majority of board posters here are over 30.
b) 30 is apparently to over/under on being a geezer.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Count me as "old/hate it." I'm happy to see that we are unified in our dislike of the jerseys, but I'm actually more interested to see that:

a) It appears the vast majority of board posters here are over 30.
b) 30 is apparently to over/under on being a geezer.

The whole Logan's Run aspect of this has me nervous.

(And if you get the reference, you should start getting your jump bag ready to go. I'm outta here.)

strawbs
02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
im young (23) and don't care much either way. I don't like the jerseys, but i wouldn't mind owning a pair of the shorts. I don't get why people are bashing on Nike though. Only big time programs were chosen to get these uniforms, so it's kind of a status symbol to be able to have them. And what they (nike) do with uniforms (in both football and basketball) can be huge for recruiting. Players love getting to wear different uniforms. And if having to wear an ugly uniform every once in a while is the price to pay for getting our coach and school featured in national advertising campaigns, then so be it. How many other college bball programs get the type of publicity we get from Nike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwnC3LyPCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1c_It0ekC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dZHcHrzx0

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
im young (23) and don't care much either way. I don't like the jerseys, but i wouldn't mind owning a pair of the shorts. I don't get why people are bashing on Nike though. Only big time programs were chosen to get these uniforms, so it's kind of a status symbol to be able to have them. And what they (nike) do with uniforms (in both football and basketball) can be huge for recruiting. Players love getting to wear different uniforms. And if having to wear an ugly uniform every once in a while is the price to pay for getting our coach and school featured in national advertising campaigns, then so be it. How many other college bball programs get the type of publicity we get from Nike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwnC3LyPCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1c_It0ekC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dZHcHrzx0

Maybe the issue for those who don't care for these uniforms isn't whether it's an honor to be selected to wear them, but rather who should control the appearance of a college basketball uniform.

I was in a leadership seminar once with a guy who always asked the guest speakers how much would it take for them to sell their souls. He believed that everyone has a price.

smvalkyries
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
I am old but not grumpy LOL- I like the color grey and/or silver in general but not on our Duke uniforms. They would look much better on a drum and bugle corps. The one good thing about the jersey's is that you can not tell what team is wearing pre schooler's bright blue plastic looking kicks. The Black uniforms are 100% better looking Perhaps the grey jersey's would look better if worn over the black jersey's at east that way I think the Duke label and player numbers might be visable? Hopefully next year Nike won't make us the Blue Dev's or I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ies or some other equally offensive deviation from our rightful "Duke" branded appelation but surely even if they did we wouldn't be able to read it if we are over 30.

miramar
02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
We rose for the pledge!

I pledge allegiance to the swoosh of the Nike States of America,
and to the profit margin for which it stands,
one corporation under Phil Knight,
indistinguishable,
with tradition and loyalty for none.

We are Nike. Lower your hands and surrender your team. We will add your school's distinctiveness to our own. The Crazies will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

BTW, my daughter (T '09) also hates the gray.

Turk
02-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Arrgh. Sorry about that gang. Some days I'm more inept than a Tar Hole.... Mods, is that something you can fix?

Here's what we have thus far, 173 votes total:

I'm 30 or younger and love the gray unis 7 4.05%

I'm 30 or younger and hate the gray unis 23 13.29%

I'm 30 or younger and don't care 13 7.51%

I'm 31 or older and love the gray unis 8 4.62%

I'm 31 or older and hate the gray unis 100 57.80%

I'm 31 or older and don't care 22 12.72%

TruBlu
02-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Did the TV Coverage show any of the grey warmup suits? The popular opinion in my section (both Geezers and Young-uns") was that they looked like Pajamas.

The actual uniforms would be greatly improved with Duke Blue numbers, names, etc. With those changes, this Geezer could tolerate them for one or two games a year.

Bob Green
02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Mods, is that something you can fix?

Unfortunately the Mods cannot make a non-public poll public. Everyone can see the vote count, but no one can see who voted for which option.

Native
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Burn them, please.

mkline09
02-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm only 32, nearly 33 and I don't like them one bit. One they seem to gimicky for my taste. They look to much like Kentucky's. I don't like the fact that it doesn't say Duke on the front probably worst of all.

If that makes me a crumudgeon which I've been called then so be it. My students call me old and one even asked if I was alive when George Washington was president. He looked at me blankly when I said yes, I'm over 200 years old. But I'm certain George wouldn't like them either.

Don't mess with a classic. Don't see them messing with the Yankee pinstripes.

Greg_Newton
02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Regardless of how you guys thought they looked, does it really bother you this much that they wore them once? I mean, it's kind of a win-win for the program - Nike pumps millions into our athletic dept., and in exchange, they want to do a "limited edition" thing that our players and recruits will love and will sell a bunch of additional Duke merchandise. Why not?

I think it's a monumental travesty that our iconic uniforms have been reduced to purple and black monstrosities, but special events like this really don't bother me at all.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Did it really bother you guys that much that they wore them once? I mean, it's kind of a win-win for the program - Nike pumps millions into our athletic dept., and in exchange, they want to do a "limited edition" thing that our players and recruits will love and will sell a bunch of additional Duke merchandise. Why not?

I think it's a monumental travesty that our iconic uniforms have been reduced to purple and black monstrosities, but special events like this really don't bother me at all.

How much to get my law firm's logo on the shirts for a game?

ESPN conference game, preferable.

JBDuke
02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
The whole Logan's Run aspect of this has me nervous.

(And if you get the reference, you should start getting your jump bag ready to go. I'm outta here.)

Carousel! Carousel!

Greg_Newton
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
How much to get my law firm's logo on the shirts for a game?

ESPN conference game, preferable.

Well, if your law firm a) has the type of brand equity with young athletes that Nike does and b) has negotiated an exclusive merchandising agreement with the program, I'd say you could start by promoting and supporting the program very generously for a few decades. Then, if your law firm can design a once-a-season chance of pace that the players and recruits think is cool, I'd say that could be a reasonable discussion.

I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal. Especially compared to what they currently look like for the other 35-40 games...

Faison1
02-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, if your law firm a) has the type of brand equity with young athletes that Nike does and b) has negotiated an exclusive merchandising agreement with the program, I'd say you could start by promoting and supporting the program very generously for a few decades. Then, if your law firm can design a once-a-season chance of pace that the players and recruits think is cool, I'd say that could be a reasonable discussion.

I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal. Especially compared to what they currently look like for the other 35-40 games...

There is a famous story about Winston Churchill. At a party, he approached a woman and asked if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Well," said the young lady, "for that kind of money I suspect I would."

"Would you do it for a shilling?" asked Winston.

"Well, sir," exclaimed the woman, "I am not that kind of girl!"

Churchill did not miss a beat. "Madam, we ascertained that you were that kind of girl with the first question. All we are dickering over is price."

Is this any different?

devildeac
02-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Burn them, please.

They're not witches.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU)

devildeac
02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
There is a famous story about Winston Churchill. At a party, he approached a woman and asked if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Well," said the young lady, "for that kind of money I suspect I would."

Churchill did not miss a beat. "Madam, we ascertained that you were that kind of girl with the first question. All we are dickering over is price."

Is this any different?

I thought that was a Groucho Marx story from You Bet Your Life?

Devilsfan
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Heel fans must have loved them because you couldn't read the name, number or team from a distance.

throatybeard
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
For the record, I voted over 31/hate gray.

But I'm not sure my demographic information is useful because a bunch of us, undergrads, 20, 21, 22 at the time hated the black unis when they debuted in 1996-97.

They're not witches.

Do they float?

ricks68
02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
It's been my understanding that school colors are intended to identify a school, be part of a school's identity, maybe a holdover from the historic days of the battlefield. I look forward to and enjoy innovation which amplifies our school's identity and image. When the fare presented makes Duke look like somebody else or has an overly profit seeking quality, I don't find it attractive.

We have a winner, I believe. Well said, Janet.:)

ricks

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
For the record, I voted over 31/hate gray.

But I'm not sure my demographic information is useful because a bunch of us, undergrads, 20, 21, 22 at the time hated the black unis when they debuted in 1996-97.

Do they float?

Who are you who are so wise in the way of science?

And yeah, DiBD nailed it as usual.

SilkyJ
02-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't love them, but they're fine. Needs some tweaks--I would make the numbers Blue or something.

Don't feel passionate one way or the other, but I think the Black ones looked good as our alternates. Fine with it for a 1 time thing so Nike can sell more jerseys. We did the same with a throwback version my junior or senior year. It looked cool, and I bought one :)

DukieInKansas
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I voted over/hate. It was fine for one time but I want Duke on the front - not Blue Devils and would like a blue closer to the correct blue. The numbers were a bit hard to read - a darker blue outline might help with that issue.

rtnorthrup
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm 39 (Class of '94). I didnt like the uniforms, but my issues were with the execution, not the concept. I have no problem with the idea of a Platinum color for the alternate uniform. As others have noted, the end look was way too modern. They used the wrong color blue for starters (or the blue they used appeared lighter on grey instead of white). Also, didnt like the numbers issue, and the entire idea of having the championship season on the back got lost in the mix.

anon
02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Do college teams ever wear "throwback" / "turn back the clock" jerseys, like many pro sports teams now do? I don't think I've ever seen it done in college, and I certainly think it would be a fun promotion, if less flashy. Nike could still play up the advertising/dominance-over-Under-Armour angles if they wished.

ForkFondler
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal.

To me, the problem isn't the idea of one-shot uniforms that Nike can sell at a premium. Rather, the central issue is whether or not these particular uniforms suck. I answer in the affirmative. Didn't love the black uniforms, but they beat the hell of these.

ForkFondler
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Do college teams ever wear "throwback" / "turn back the clock" jerseys, like many pro sports teams now do? I don't think I've ever seen it done in college, and I certainly think it would be a fun promotion, if less flashy. Nike could still play up the advertising/dominance-over-Under-Armour angles if they wished.

Oooh, oooh. Throw back short shorts. They'd sell like hotcakes.

Newton_14
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM

To me, nothing is worse than the hideous uni's from the forgettable 94-95 season. Home and road were gawd awful. Hated the blue shoulder patches.

dukereport
02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm 35 and not against uniform changes generally speaking. However, those grays were horrendous. Gray jerseys could work if you took our black jerseys and replaced black with a light gray.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
We should know who we are. Instead we are letting Nike tell us who we should be.

Really? Duke, Coach K, and everyone in the marketing industry would say that Duke is getting a great deal with Nike ELITE. So what if we have to cater to Nike's innovation once a year? Guarantee that Nike's support (and ton of free stuff) trumps wearing a grey, recycled-material jersey once a year.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Really? Duke, Coach K, and everyone in the marketing industry would say that Duke is getting a great deal with Nike ELITE. So what if we have to cater to Nike's innovation once a year? Guarantee that Nike's support (and ton of free stuff) trumps wearing a grey, recycled-material jersey once a year.

Coach K talked about the uniforms at the end of this weeks program. He brought up how all the sports benefit from the great revenue source that is Nike.

Greg_Newton
02-13-2012, 01:15 AM

Is this any different?

I suppose not, if the, er, service in the above story is supposed to be analogous to Duke receiving money from a company in return for the right to produce and sell their uniforms. We clearly do have a price for that, or else we'd be wearing homemade uniforms made by design students.

I just don't get the outcry over a one time, special-occasion thing that our players probably enjoyed. Again, I absolutely hate what Nike has done to our standard and alternate uniforms, but this seems like a tiiiiiiiny little issue in the general "classic uniform defamation" stratosphere.

TigerDevil
02-13-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm under 30 and, while hate is too strong a word to describe my feelings about them, I don't care for the grey unis. Part of me just doesn't like this Nike marketing junk, the other part of me says the awesome black and blues are all the alternate unis we need. For that matter, I'm also among those who'd like the blue road unis to have more white and less black trim, early 90s style.

A-Tex Devil
02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I thought they were poorly designed (grey numbers, specifically), but am over 30 and don't really care. There is ZERO harm from it, and likely much more benefit, including increased store sales of these uniforms (echoing someone else, I'd by the shorts for working out), meaning increased revenue for the university, and the players seemed to like them. More importantly, in football, incoming recruits love these crazy new unis, so if there is some similar effect in basketball I am fine with it. Every little bit helps trying to convince 16-17 year old five-stars to come to your school.

Anyway, I don't care whether they wear them again or not. And if the team wants to wear them, I am all for it. If anyone is going to alter their cheering/attendance/donation levels because of these uniforms, well... perhaps said persons need to do some self-reflection on what really matters.

Dev11
02-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Were the Adidas uniforms that Michigan and Notre Dame wore in their football game this year throwbacks? I know they were simple looking, and really cool. Let's just terminate the Nike contract and switch back to Adidas! (Selfishly, moves like that make the Nike stuff really cheap at the store while they try to clear it all out)

The Gordog
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Regardless of how you guys thought they looked, does it really bother you this much that they wore them once? I mean, it's kind of a win-win for the program - Nike pumps millions into our athletic dept., and in exchange, they want to do a "limited edition" thing that our players and recruits will love and will sell a bunch of additional Duke merchandise. Why not?

I agree with you that the changes to our color of the "normal" road uniforms is the worse travesty, but to me the issue is that we are on a continued slipery slope that appears to be getting steeper.

Is this any different?

+1

Honestly, K is paid to say that (more than he's paid to coach the team I believe.) And people "in the marketing industry" are not about to criticize they system that provides their daily bread. I think it makes Duke look bad. Period. Or to put it in Marketing-speek, it dilutes our brand.

gus
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I am old but not grumpy LOL- I like the color grey and/or silver in general but not on our Duke uniforms. They would look much better on a drum and bugle corps. The one good thing about the jersey's is that you can not tell what team is wearing pre schooler's bright blue plastic looking kicks. The Black uniforms are 100% better looking Perhaps the grey jersey's would look better if worn over the black jersey's at east that way I think the Duke label and player numbers might be visable? Hopefully next year Nike won't make us the Blue Dev's or I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ies or some other equally offensive deviation from our rightful "Duke" branded appelation but surely even if they did we wouldn't be able to read it if we are over 30.

I'm over 31, prefer "irascible" to grumpy, and hate the grey uniforms.

Also, while being irascible, can we dispose of the stupid filter that substitutes one profanity for another?

lotusland
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Maybe your law firm could be a secondary sponsor with a small logo patch on the shoulder. As long as we are just dickering over the price I'd pay a couple hundred bucks to have lotusland indoor stadium for one game;)

OldPhiKap
02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Maybe your law firm could be a secondary sponsor with a small logo patch on the shoulder. As long as we are just dickering over the price I'd pay a couple hundred bucks to have lotusland indoor stadium for one game;)

"OldPhiKap Court"

(non-conference game, obviously; I ain't made of money after all)

Zeke
02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
There is a hypothesis that the young'uns, with eyes and hearts open to new ideas and experiences, free of old biases, love the gray unis. The old fogeys, resistant to change and fossilized in thought, can't understand how Duke wound up wearing Georgetown's unis. Let's see what the numbers say! Vote early and vote often!! Poll-skew away!!

It just takes a while to become discerning. Not something that comes at birth.
Duke really went to the dark side with this Nike demand.

cmccoy11
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
So about 78% of people 31 and older hate the uniforms while around 50% of people 30 and younger hate the uniforms. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

throatybeard
02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Honestly, most of the Nike stuff I've bought after about 2005 has been flimsy and doesn't stand up to three washes, much less 30. I don't have any Adidas stuff. Under Armor is a lot sturdier. I used to love Nike (90s, early 2000s), but if you think you're gonna buy the shorts from this experiment, be prepared to have the fabric pilling after two washes.

porkpa
02-14-2012, 05:29 AM
I hate to be critical of Coach K who I respect as much as anybody I've ever known. From my standpoint I have no criticism of someone like Calipari selling out to Nike. I expect it. However when I see Coach K doing it it hurts. I suppose the bottom line is that everybody has his price.

Reilly
02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
... I don't have any Adidas stuff. ...

I only have one Adidas item and it's 25 years old. Camping in front of Cameron one afternoon before the Carolina game. K pulled up, walked over to us, and then asked a couple of us over to his car to help him with something. He opened the trunk and there was a big cardboard box filled with blue Adidas t-shirts. The shirts didn't say "Duke"; just had the Adidas logo and the word Adidas on the middle of the chest. K says, "help me pass these out."

SilkyJ
02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Yes, see below. Can't find a picture of them, but I was there and I have one in my closet.

We did the same with a throwback version my junior or senior year. It looked cool, and I bought one :)

I hate to be critical of Coach K who I respect as much as anybody I've ever known. From my standpoint I have no criticism of someone like Calipari selling out to Nike. I expect it. However when I see Coach K doing it it hurts. I suppose the bottom line is that everybody has his price.

You (and others) make it sound like we are selling our soul. Its a one time jersey thing, jeesh. All that Nike money helps the team to charter flights to China & Dubai, build world class facilities, get our coaches where they need to be for recruiting, etc. and generally helps our basketball program. Seems like occasionally changing up the jerseys is a small price to pay.

flyingdutchdevil
02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
You (and others) make it sound like we are selling our soul. Its a one time jersey thing, jeesh. All that Nike money helps the team to charter flights to China & Dubai, build world class facilities, get our coaches where they need to be for recruiting, etc. and generally helps our basketball program. Seems like occasionally changing up the jerseys is a small price to pay.

This. Couldn't have said it better.

It's one game, people. One game.

Indoor66
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
This. Couldn't have said it better.

It's one game, people. One game.

Well, some of us have to have SOMETHING to be upset about or we don't feel alive.

Anything will do. :rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, some of us have to have SOMETHING to be upset about or we don't feel alive.

Anything will do. :rolleyes:

May I provide a few potential topics for discussion, then ;):

-Duke's defense
-Music during warm-ups
-Lack of coordination among the Crazies
-Lebron. I know it's not Duke related but - let's face it - we can blame everything on King James!

devil84
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM

But it's NOT a one-time thing. First the black jerseys (I can live without them as I prefer our school colors), then the aerographic jerseys (I'm OK with those; at least the design is exclusive to Duke and isn't overdone), now the Hyper Elite Platinum space-age recycled aluminum dust silver underwear (great name, Throaty!). That Hyper-EPSARADSU uniform looks just like we are teammates with the other seven Hyper Elite schools. And we ARE NOT teammates with Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida, Arizona, UConn women, Baylor women and particularly UNC!

I'd be OK with a "one time" uniform change if it LOOKED GOOD. But the Hyper-EPSARADSU ones violate a lot of good design principles: they don't have contrasting numbers and lettering (this is actually a rule for the 12-13 season); they don't ensure that the message of "platinum" isn't mistaken as "practice sweats" for that particular shade of gray; and the school color was not selected so that it looks true (not neon or washed out) when placed next to the gray. FWIW, I don't like *any* of them -- most of the school colors look either exaggerated or washed out because of its placement next to the gray. Schools spend a lot of time making sure the colors used to represent their school amongst departments and within athletics are correct -- it is an important of the school's brand. That aside, at the very least there should be enough contrast so the team name, numbers, and player names are easily readable from the officials' perspective, let alone the fans in the stands or on TV.