PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Gray Jerseys Must Be Burned Thread

hurleyfor3
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Good Lord. Which one is the home team? Aren't you supposed to be able to make out the numbers? Someone please make them go away. Now.

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Shred them. Then put the shreds through a wood chipper. Then burn them. Then put the ashes in a lead box and drop it into the deepest part of the Pacific.

bleudiable
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
...Oh My God...didn't Carolina do this and wind up in the NIT?

Verga3
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Shred them. Then put the shreds through a wood chipper. Then burn them. Then put the ashes in a lead box and drop it into the deepest part of the Pacific.

Amen and Amen.

sbduke
02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
H-i-d-e-o-u-s

78Devil
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Goodwill is looking for contributions -let's ditch these hideous uniforms in a good cause....

1 24 90
02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
They need to get rid of those at halftime just like the Crazies did with those green shirts a few years ago.

Also, Florida is wearing theirs today too and they are down 11 at the half to Tennessee.

PDDuke85
02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
All I can think of is:
"Rip 'em up!
Tear 'em up!
Give 'em away hell, Duke

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 05:35 PM
… the Mona Lisa in particle board.

… Mozart on a kazoo.

… a sunset crossed with contrails.

… Mrs. Tom Brady in a burlap sack.

… the Duke Chapel festooned in tarheel blue.

elvis14
02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't mind them....for a ONE TIME thing. They are nothing like those horrible silver uni's worn by UNC@CH during that wonderful NIT season. I love the warm up jackets with the gray and blue DUKE on the front. Do I want to see the jerseys at more games? Nope. But for one day, they are kinda neat. Plus, I love the bright blue shoes!

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I think they are awesome!!!! Would love to see a little more contrast with the numbers but wow these things are sharp!!!!! All of the players, and the majority of the young fans, love them so Nike must be doing something right.

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I think they are awesome!!!! Would love to see a little more contrast with the numbers but wow these things are sharp!!!!! All of the players, and the majority of the young fans, love them so Nike must be doing something right.

Is that you, Nike?

What, did you have a lot of leftover fabric after making Georgetown Hoya jerseys?

MartyClark
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
These uniforms are a confirmation of what many of us already knew. Nike is the root of most, if not all, evil in the world

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Is that you, Nike?

What, did you have a lot of leftover fabric after making Georgetown Hoya jerseys?

Not nike. I bet if you took a poll, the majority of young fans would say they love them, and the majority of the older fans would say they hate them. All of my friends absolutely love them and I haven't saw one college basketball player say they don't like them. I also believe some other schools wear grey at home. tOSU rings a bell.

dairedevil
02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
When they are done with today they can donate them to a high school somewhere since there is no school name ..is it Marietta GA that's the blue devils?

muzikfrk75
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Don't like the unis. The jacket however is awesome....lists all 4 titles on the back.

cwiley
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Not nike. I bet if you took a poll, the majority of young fans would say they love them, and the majority of the older fans would say they hate them. All of my friends absolutely love them and I haven't saw one college basketball player say they don't like them. I also believe some other schools wear grey at home. tOSU rings a bell.

That's because grey is one of OSU's colors.

burnspbesq
02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
I would buy the jacket.

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
That's because grey is one of OSU's colors.

Well, they also wear white uniforms which isn't one of their colors.

Indoor66
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Don't like the unis. The jacket however is awesome....lists all 4 titles on the back.

This team did not win one of them.

Reilly
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I would buy the jacket.

For $145, you can.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-436691

ArkieDukie
02-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Put me in the "the gray jerseys are ugly" camp. They might be redeemable if the stripes down the side weren't a smidge too close to gack blue. It would also help if they had made the writing on the jerseys legible. I mean, really. Did anyone even look at them? True Duke blue might look okay with silver/gray, IF silver/gray was one of our school colors.

arnie
When they are done with today they can donate them to a high school somewhere since there is no school name ..is it Marietta GA that's the blue devils?

As is Mooresville Sr High north of Charlotte. Doubt Mooresville would accept such a disgusting jersey.

Lord Ash
Ugly. Ugly. UGLY.

Nevermind that you cannot read them or make out any details. They are HIDEOUSLY ugly.

mgtr
02-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I think these uniforms are reason enough to cozy up to Adidas, or any other uniform maker.

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I wonder why everyone on here hates the uniforms while all the current and past players love them?

Faustus
02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Numbers are so hard to see that Mike Patrick can't tell one Plumlee from the other.... oh, that's right, nothing new there.

I do vote resoundingly No to the uniforms, but did like the warm-ups and wouldn't mind seeing those again.

ArkieDukie
02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I wonder why everyone on here hates the uniforms while all the current and past players love them?

because they're ugly.

Andy7207
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I like them! I think they probably look better up close than they do on TV. I agree that it needs a little more contrast, but the grey gives it a sleek look.

OldSchool

You have to take that with a grain of salt. If you're a player and Coach K and Nike have agreed that you will be wearing these uniforms, what else are you going to say?

miramar
Great, a southern school wearing cadet gray. I'm sure that the unis bring back nothing but fond memories to the Robert E Lee statue in the chapel doorway.

Amazingly enough, according to ESPN, wearing these uniforms is supposed to be an honor:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7502318/nike-releases-hyper-elite-platinum-college-basketball-uniform-line

At least the socks and shoes combination is not as bad as some other schools. And the colors seem to work for Miles. Maybe he's color blind and feels more comfortable this way.

cmccoy11
because they're ugly.

Well the current and past players don't think that. Could it be an age thing?

1 24 90
02-11-2012, 06:23 PM

I seem to remember that some of the players on this team contributed to a title in 2010. ;)

OrangeDevil
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I agree that those unis are horrid and need to disposed of never to be seen again. Perhaps this is a partial explanation of the horrendous start today; that our guys didn't recognize each other.

I don't know whose bright idea wthis was but it needs to be abandoned.

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
You have to take that with a grain a salt. If you're a player and Coach K and Nike have agreed that you will be wearing these uniforms, what else are you going to say?

That's a good point. A lot of younger people I know are in love with them though. I am starting to think its an age thing.

ArkieDukie
02-11-2012, 06:30 PM

I would not consider myself old.

From the pictures on the ESPN website, they don't look so bad. However, in a game setting, they're awful. There's not enough contrast between the lettering and the uniform cover, so it's difficult to read them. Also, as I've already mentioned, they have a big Carolina blue stripe down the side of the shorts. Do you really think it's great that our home jerseys have Carolina blue on them? Seriously - can we have some Duke blue on the unis? Is that too much to ask?

Duvall
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Fight, fight for Nike.
Fight for Knight and the platinum Swoosh.
March on through, there's a shoe deal there for you.
Hyper Elite gonna win tonight.
Under Armour go to hell. (Beat Reebok!)
So turn on the sweatshops, fight for Nike, fight!

dukeballboy88
02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Those grey jerseys are the hottest jersey I have ever seen. I was going to get a Sub Zero jersey and now I am glad I waited so I can get the grey jersey.

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Perhaps this is a partial explanation of the horrendous start today

Fortunately for us, because of the hideous uniforms their football team had to wear this year Maryland has a much bigger accumulated bad uniforms karma than we do.

drcharl
02-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Ugly - Georgetown kept coming to mind.

pamtar
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
For $145, you can.

Thanks! Just ordered mine! Kinda pricy but whatev. I told myself during the game that if I ever saw them on sale I'd buy one.

Jerseys were garbage though...

jv001
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe Miles likes the new uniforms and if he plays like this in them, let him wear his, lol. GoDuke!

ArkieDukie
02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe Miles likes the new uniforms and if he plays like this in them, let him wear his, lol. GoDuke!

I will let Miles wear the ugly gray uni as often as he likes if it means another 22 rebound performance.

I agree with those who have said that the warmup jackets were nice. I did like those.

Verga3
02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Pure Nike marketing here. I understand this is a one-time deal, but do you think Nike would be upset if they got positive feedback from their schools under contract? Anyone know when the current Duke/Nike deal ends? I know adidas does.

I guarantee you that the players (present and some recent former) and students loved them. Cool. Different. Fun. We won. No biggie. Many will not get why some of us might be perturbed. That's ok.

El_Diablo
02-11-2012, 06:46 PM
I guarantee you that the . . . students loved them.

false

JBDuke
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Curious as to what data you're using to justify saying that current and past players like these unis. Shane Battier doesn't, at least according to his tweet:
https://twitter.com/#!/ShaneBattier

Verga3
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
false

Good....thank you for the correction!!

loran16
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Take a look at this picture. Do you still like these unis? Because they sure make it look like all of these teams ARE THE SAME TEAM.

If you want to be generic college bball team, buy these unis. We're Duke. Not that.

cspan37421
02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I've never warmed up to the notion of paying college athletes but this transparent money-grab by Nike - accomplished with the direct modeling help of our amateur players - is weakening my resolve.

fitimi1
02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I spent more time than I probably should have, but researching various Duke web sites, I could find no mention of gray being a Duke color.

camion
02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
They looked okay in the store... :(

muzikfrk75
02-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Ok...so they can't wear the jacket because of that?

mapei
02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Is that you, Nike?

Georgetown's jerseys are much better, a more neutral gray with Navy trim, numbers and lettering. Not as cool as the silver-on-navy road unis, but still nice. Oh, and gray is actually one of the traditional school colors for the Hoyas, which one would hope matters. OSU's gray unis are better, too. There were a couple of unfortunate seasons when Georgetown's home jerseys had a sort of cream color for the numbers over the gray background. Horrible. But long gone, one hopes.

Duke's were OK as long is you didn't care to know who was playing. Which is kind of the purpose of numbers and names on uniforms.

devildeac
02-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Ugly unis, clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Not school colors, clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

rogermortimer
02-11-2012, 07:48 PM
My other alumni connection is Georgetown (grad school). I have never like their gray uniforms, although they fit within the image the Thompsons over the years have projected with regards to their program.

I really don't like gray on Duke. I hope today was a once in a lifetime experience.

ThePublisher
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
These uniforms are hideous. I would like them if the numbers/names/logo were blue instead of the PRACTICALLY INVISIBLE silver! Come on Nike, you can do much better. I hope these are done for after this one game, or they get a little redesign. The sides of them are really cool.

Going from the Gothic design ones to these is like going from Duke fan to a UNC fan. Just a shame...

I read someone say that the younger fans loved them, maybe I'm not as young as some at 27, but I'm not up there yet. These get a huge dislike from me.

dukelilsis
02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
devildeac, I couldn't have put it better myself! I certainly hope these uniforms are one and done! I'm ok with the jackets but I'd prefer that they not be gray.

anon
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
The design inconsistency of these uniforms is very curious. See http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-launches-hyper-elite-platinum-basketball-uniforms#/gallery/6795.

For example, only Duke and Florida are referred to by their mascot names on the front of the jerseys. And all of the jackets say "NCAA CHAMPIONS" except Carolina's, which says "TAR HEELS."

Neals384
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Curious as to what data you're using to justify saying that current and past players like these unis. Shane Battier doesn't, at least according to his tweet:
https://twitter.com/#!/ShaneBattier

Ok, I'll say it before mccoy does - Shane is 33. That's old! Just proves his point about it being an age thing.

Btw,I'm 61 and hate them. After each timeout I always try to figure out who's on the court. Usually that's easy for Duke. Not today.

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 08:40 PM
The design inconsistency of these uniforms is very curious. See http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-launches-hyper-elite-platinum-basketball-uniforms#/gallery/6795.

For example, only Duke and Florida are referred to by their mascot names on the front of the jerseys. And all of the jackets say "NCAA CHAMPIONS" except Carolina's, which says "TAR HEELS."

Why does the Baylor uniform jacket say on the back "NCAA Champions B.U. 2005"?

Has Nike decided to take away one of UNC's titles and give it to Baylor?

anon
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM

WBB.

ArkieDukie
02-11-2012, 08:46 PM

From the close-ups on the Nike webpage that anon linked (thanks!), you can see that the side actually features Duke blue dots on the silvery background. Problem is, from a distance, you cannot see the series of dots. It fades together and becomes a paler (uglier) shade of blue. Did no one notice this during the process of designing the unis?

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
WBB.

That makes sense -- in the spirit of Title IX, the women should be made to wear the ugly uniforms too.

And when Maryland plays UNC on Feb 29, they will be facing these same uniforms once again, and will probably get pounded on the boards once again.

matts83
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I just ordered the warm up jacket, I know others don’t like it, but come on it’s an elite group of teams that get to wear these. Move past the way the look and be proud of what Duke has achieved!!!! We played well today so be happy. Next game, Next play. Lets Go Duke!!!

loran16
02-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I just ordered the warm up jacket, I know others don’t like it, but come on it’s an elite group of teams that get to wear these. Move past the way the look and be proud of what Duke has achieved!!!! We played well today so be happy. Next game, Next play. Lets Go Duke!!!

No, it's not just a group of elite teams that get to wear them. It's the teams chosen by Nike for being marketable. But hey, let's parrot the Nike line.

Please don't encourage this guys.

muzikfrk75
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
No, it's not just a group of elite teams that get to wear them. It's the teams chosen by Nike for being marketable. But hey, let's parrot the Nike line.

I look at it as supporting Duke instead of supporting Nike.

Plus the jacket is nice. lol...I think I'll pass though.

mr. synellinden
02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
For $145, you can.

I'd buy it without the stuff on the back, because I'm hoping it becomes outdated sometime during the next few seasons.

throatybeard
02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
5C) I just saw this year’s new unis, and man, we really are Nike’s 75 cent whore, aren’t we?

I did like Michigan State's silver unis in 2003-04 when we killed them in the ACC-B1G Challenge.

These weren't silver. They looked like a scrap metal salvage went to the potty.

devil84
02-11-2012, 09:36 PM
That's a good point. A lot of younger people I know are in love with them though. I am starting to think its an age thing.

No. The two college kids sitting next to me did not like them at all. They shared all the same reasons as the rest of us "old people" in our section: gray is a color for Georgetown, tOSU, and Central Prison; whatever blue that was on the uniforms was not Duke blue and perilously close to that other blue; DUKE is not on the front of the jersey -- if you could read what was written on it; jersey numbers, names, and writing are difficult to read even with 20 year old eyes; sweat stains were unattractive, particularly on the Blue Devil (yeah, it wasn't enough to screw with our jerseys, they also changed our MASCOT!); they were accompanied with two huge advertisements that covered the grad students at either end of the court with more Nike advertising; and more advertising as we entered Cameron showing how "green" they are being made from plastic bottles (how "green" is anything that's worn for ONE game?).

No, the two college students did not like them at all. Not on Florida, not on Kentucky, and particularly not on Duke. And they were the most vocal of us.

It was really ironic that today was the so-called annual "I [heart] Duke Basketball" day where fans were encouraged to wear Duke gear. They used the tag line, "Live it. Love it. Wear it." Yeah, why can't the TEAM wear DUKE BLUE? While the cheerleaders weren't outfitted in gray, er, "Platinum," they wore white!

weezie
02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Unis highlight the sweaty-ness factor. Not cool. Sweaty.

matts83
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Its teams that have won the national championship while being sponsored by Nike. That the reason for the elite jerseys and something to make some more money off of.

papa whiskey
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM

I agree the jackets are straight pimpin". I've got a reservation at the Bada Bing gentleman's club in Jersey tomorrow night and would love to have one to wear to the occasion. I think I would fit right in.:cool:

B-well
02-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Have we sold our brand to Nike?

It seems liike everything is for sale - Total Yogurt is the official yoigurt of the Blue Devils - 9th Street Florist is the Official Florist of the Blue Devils (the AD even does radio spots for them - the first Duke VP to do a radio spot for a florist) - it goes on and on until you want to wonder if the Chapel is available for naming if the right offer comes along.

Come on guys!!! Let's be DUKE

cmccoy11
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
No. The two college kids sitting next to me did not like them at all. They shared all the same reasons as the rest of us "old people" in our section: gray is a color for Georgetown, tOSU, and Central Prison; whatever blue that was on the uniforms was not Duke blue and perilously close to that other blue; DUKE is not on the front of the jersey -- if you could read what was written on it; jersey numbers, names, and writing are difficult to read even with 20 year old eyes; sweat stains were unattractive, particularly on the Blue Devil (yeah, it wasn't enough to screw with our jerseys, they also changed our MASCOT!); they were accompanied with two huge advertisements that covered the grad students at either end of the court with more Nike advertising; and more advertising as we entered Cameron showing how "green" they are being made from plastic bottles (how "green" is anything that's worn for ONE game?).

No, the two college students did not like them at all. Not on Florida, not on Kentucky, and particularly not on Duke. And they were the most vocal of us.

It was really ironic that today was the so-called annual "I [heart] Duke Basketball" day where fans were encouraged to wear Duke gear. They used the tag line, "Live it. Love it. Wear it." Yeah, why can't the TEAM wear DUKE BLUE? While the cheerleaders weren't outfitted in gray, er, "Platinum," they wore white!

I apologize if I insulted you or anyone else on here that is "older". That wasn't my intention at all. Based on my personal experience, it started to seem like the younger generations loved them while the older generations hated them. This was based upon about 20 people that I have talked to which is hardly enough to make any claims off of. I guess we will never know the real answer unless someone does a scientific study and offers us some empirical data to look at which I highly doubt will happen lol. I do agree, however, that the numbers and lettering should of had more contrast to them.

blazindw
02-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Baylor's jerseys are for the women.

devildeac
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I apologize if I insulted you or anyone else on here that is "older". That wasn't my intention at all. Based on my personal experience, it started to seem like the younger generations loved them while the older generations hated them. This was based upon about 20 people that I have talked to which is hardly enough to make any claims off of. I guess we will never know the real answer unless someone does a scientific study and offers us some empirical data to look at which I highly doubt will happen lol. I do agree, however, that the numbers and lettering should of had more contrast to them.

I know devil84 and she is not old;). Class of, um, never mind;).

DesertDevil
02-11-2012, 10:39 PM

It seems liike everything is for sale - Total Yogurt is the official yoigurt of the Blue Devils - 9th Street Florist is the Official Florist of the Blue Devils (the AD even does radio spots for them - the first Duke VP to do a radio spot for a florist) - it goes on and on until you want to wonder if the Chapel is available for naming if the right offer comes along.

The local "official" branding happens everywhere. I grew up in Nebraska & a ton of business' are the "official (blank) of the Cornhuskers". I graduated from a Division 2 school & local business' there were the "official (blank) of the Lopers" (short for Antelopes).

Even the local sponsorships bring money into the university.

anon
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM

This comment is somewhat ironic, since the name you suggest we stick to is itself the product of a large (and ongoing) donation to the school. ;)

mapei
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
BTW, as an aside, Georgetown students selected blue and gray as the school's official colors in a gesture of national unity following the Civil War (See http://www.georgetown.edu/about/history/index.html). And so they have remained ever since, though the basketball program has occasionally experimented with white and various shades of blue and over the years.

Dukeface88
02-11-2012, 11:28 PM

I suspect people are underestimating the taste of the current generation. I'm a 2010 grad, and I think they look bad. Maybe if the numbers blue they'd look decent...for Georgetown. Why it is considered desirable to make us look like a less popular team with a lesser history is unclear to me.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Nike's flagship basketball schools (us and UNC) are both wearing grays for the Maryland game, considering Maryland is the flagship school for Under Armor and is rather likely to lose. For that matter, it makes more than slightly suspicious about who exactly is pushing the Duke-Maryland "rivalry" angle. Particularly since Under Armor was just starting to seriously compete with Nike when the "rivalry" started.

Newton_14
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
They actually look cool up close. Saw them in the Duke store in Card Gym prior to the game, and liked them. However, the further away you get, the worse they look, and once the kids sweat in them, they are downright putrid. Just saw the highlights on the news, and saw that they look horrible on TV as well.

The thing is, it was a one game special deal, and thus not something to fret about. From my understanding, they will not be worn again so no big deal in my view. Had the gray been lighter, and the blue been darker, with the names and numbers in all blue instead of just outlined, they would have looked much better imo. I actually did not like the warmups, but did not get a chance to see those up close.

With the Jersey's having a price tag of $120, it is definitely a money grab by Phil Knight. Shouldn't greener be cheaper?

SharkD
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
The only plus I can see to these horribly ugly uniforms is that, for once, Carolina is correctly representing the number of national titles it has won.

(Which is odd, since the regular 'aerographic' uniforms feature the Helms Foundation 'Championship,' or as I prefer to call it, a typo.)

The warmup Jacket isn't bad, but it's not worth the obscene retail price, either. (I'm 32, I guess I'm old.)

So, when does Nike come out with their N99 Semi Crummy Lukewarm Brown uniform series, celebrating sub-par NIT performances? (So that Chapel Hill denizens can once-again highlight their 3rd place NIT result in 1973 and celebrate their runner-up status in 2010.)

msdukie
02-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Well, they also wear white uniforms which isn't one of their colors.

Technically, white may not be one of Duke's colors. Of course Duke wears purple with black trim on the road and neither of those are Duke's colors.

El_Diablo
02-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I also don't think it's a coincidence that Nike's flagship basketball schools (us and UNC) are both wearing grays for the Maryland game, considering Maryland is the flagship school for Under Armor and is rather likely to lose.

It's definitely no coincidence. Here are all the scheduled appearances for Nike's Hyper Elite Platinums, as well as the companies that make the opponents' uniforms:

UConn vs. Notre Dame (1/29) = adidas
Kentucky vs. Tennessee (1/31) = adidas
Duke vs. Maryland (2/11) = Under Armor
Baylor (women’s) vs. Texas A&M (2/11) = adidas
Florida vs. Tennessee (2/11) = adidas
Syracuse vs. USF (2/22) = Under Armor
Arizona vs. UCLA (2/25) = adidas
UConn (women’s) vs. Notre Dame (2/27) = adidas
UNC vs. Maryland (2/29) = Under Armor

anon
02-12-2012, 12:52 AM
It's definitely no coincidence. Here are all the scheduled appearances for Nike's Hyper Elite Platinums, as well as the companies that make the opponents' uniforms:

UConn vs. Notre Dame (1/29) = adidas
Kentucky vs. Tennessee (1/31) = adidas
Duke vs. Maryland (2/11) = Under Armor
Baylor (women’s) vs. Texas A&M (2/11) = adidas
Florida vs. Tennessee (2/11) = adidas
Syracuse vs. USF (2/22) = Under Armor
Arizona vs. UCLA (2/25) = adidas
UConn (women’s) vs. Notre Dame (2/27) = adidas
UNC vs. Maryland (2/29) = Under Armor

I think you might be looking at it a little too cynically. I'm guessing that having only one team wear the special uniforms in a game between two Nike teams would just be a little awkward. I mean, do you really think anyone watching today's game got the message, "Nike is better than Under Armour"?

moonpie23
02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
i thought georgetown was playing...

they got to go...

msdukie
02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Anyone know when the current Duke/Nike deal ends?

cf-62
02-12-2012, 01:23 AM

OMG, really? Really?

Are you completely ignorant of the point of the Platinum uniforms?

All Nike schools that have won a national championship get a set of the new high performance Platinum uniforms this year.

Kentucky won in theirs a few weeks ago. Florida wore theirs today (and lost, as somebody pointed out).

UNC is also playing Maryland the game that they're wearing them.

These are commemorative uniforms for the championships. It makes perfect sense to have the championships on them. There's a big difference between "resting on past accomplishments" and "respecting the legacy of which you are entrusted").

cf-62
02-12-2012, 01:27 AM
While the cheerleaders weren't outfitted in gray, er, "Platinum," they wore white!

Yes, they looked awful. All those cool blue and black uniforms to choose from.

El_Diablo
02-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I think you might be looking at it a little too cynically. I'm guessing that having only one team wear the special uniforms in a game between two Nike teams would just be a little awkward. I mean, do you really think anyone watching today's game got the message, "Nike is better than Under Armour"?

Oh, I'm sure Nike has its reasons for selecting the matchups it did. Maybe it sought to draw a contrast with its competitors. Maybe it sought to avoid awkwardness between Nike schools. I think the former is probably a more rational marketing consideration than the latter, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive, so both factors (and possibly others) probably came into play. Nike may have failed in its attempt to one-up its competitors with these uniforms, but that doesn't mean it wasn't trying to one-up them. After all, if Nike didn't believe these uniforms would be well-received, then I'm not sure what they were doing to begin with.

Although...maybe they intentionally made them as ugly as possible (while still seeming to be plausible attempts at making a uniform that the teams would actually wear) because they know people will talk about them more this way. Fans may criticize them, but they'd also have in the back of their mind the reminder of how many successful teams are using Nike. The ugly jerseys are gone after one game, but the thought remains. Inception.

Reilly
02-12-2012, 07:24 AM
The only plus I can see to these horribly ugly uniforms is that, for once, Carolina is correctly representing the number of national titles it has won. ....

Carolina will only be honest if you pay them.

Matches
02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I like alt jerseys, have always like the black ones, even liked the silver Heel ones.

The gray things looked good in the press release. They looked terrible on the court. They'd be much better with a slight adjustment to make the print stand out - just something to make it show up a little better.

Bring on the camo alt jerseys! (kidding)

Turk
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Camo jerseys!?!? Don't give them any ideas. My head would explode.

A few people have noted "These Georgetown / Ohio State unis are just a one game thing. Chillax, this too shall pass..."

What worries me is that they'll keep coming up with more and more "one-game" things.

"Duke / Carolina: The War Continues. Featuring special camo jerseys commemorating Coach K's Army class reunion" or some such nonsense...

"Duke / State: The Tobacco Road Tradition. Nike introduces jerseys with the rich brown earth tones of prime Piedmont tobacco that would make James Duke proud..."

Pick a color, any color, and invent your own tagline. Paisley, anyone?

Dev11
02-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm 22, and I was at the game watching with many other fans in their late teens/early twenties. We all hated the jerseys. My friends watching on tv said they looked awful.

I don't mind Nike giving us new materials and such to wear, I just want them to be Duke blue.

Son of Mojo
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Can never say enough how the black jerseys need to go the way of the dodo, but now they've competition. BOTH of these abominations need a ritualistic burning. I'm in the club that admittingly likes the warm up jacket, but we don't play in those. Let's go back to adidas--hey, they may even give us what we all wanted that Nike has denied us--"Order Has Been Restored" t-shirts. :rolleyes:

ArkieDukie
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
The gray unis are making me think the black unis aren't that awful. That's how bad they are. At least you can see the players' names and numbers on the black unis.

Lunchab1es
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Judging from the replies here, I believe I'm in a relative minority here, but I personally enjoy one-off jerseys and change.

Yes, I am also for respecting tradition. I would prefer that we mostly play in Blue/White jerseys. But once in a while, I like the black ones. Did I like the Nike Grey? Not really, particularly from far away. However, it was a one-use jersey, and I think it was pretty cool for that to happen. And you know what? I LOVED the UNC/Mich st camo jerseys when they played on the aircraft carrier. If Duke played in that event and had commemorative jerseys made, I would buy a pair in a heart beat. Throw back classic designs (minus the hot pants)? Bring em on.

I think many people really get their panties in a twist about the jerseys not being the exactly what they want to the point of it being just plain silly. Relax and enjoy the different patterns... and if you don't, new uniforms will be released in a year so you can enjoy (or complain) about those too! I guess I just don't see what the big deal is, and why people get so upset over uniforms changing.:confused:

uh_no
02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Can never say enough how the black jerseys need to go the way of the dodo, but now they've competition. BOTH of these abominations need a ritualistic burning. I'm in the club that admittingly likes the warm up jacket, but we don't play in those. Let's go back to adidas--hey, they may even give us what we all wanted that Nike has denied us--"Order Has Been Restored" t-shirts. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

I'm quite fine with the black jerseys

elvis14
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow as of now there are 98 replies to this thread and only 62 replies in the actual post game thread. At least we have our eyes on the ball and are paying attention to what's really important! :(

Son of Mojo
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Never said I didn't like the result of some of the games with the jerseys worn, but it doesn't change that they do not look good and that it's not a school color.

tbroesche
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I can't believe the uniforms Duke was wearing. Does Nike control the world? What are the people who make these decisions inside Duke thinking?

I am not against change. I love the black uniforms that the team wears from time to time. And, I don't mind the gray; nor do I mind trying to be a little more updated or "hip" (if it is calculated to help recruiting). However, if these uniforms are going to be used again, AT LEAST have the names and numbers in a color that contrasts with the jersey color so that viewers on TV can follow the game. Perhaps they are better if viewed in person, but on TV they are terrible.

AsiaMinor
02-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Can't see numbers.
Can't see names.
Our guys looked awful in them.
No punch.
No lift.
No Duke blue.
And I'm not old.

dcdevil2009
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
With the Jersey's having a price tag of $120, it is definitely a money grab by Phil Knight. Shouldn't greener be cheaper?

At $120 a pop, that's twice as much green in Phil Knight's pocket as our regular jerseys.

Atlanta Duke
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Although...maybe they intentionally made them as ugly as possible (while still seeming to be plausible attempts at making a uniform that the teams would actually wear) because they know people will talk about them more this way. Fans may criticize them, but they'd also have in the back of their mind the reminder of how many successful teams are using Nike. The ugly jerseys are gone after one game, but the thought remains. Inception.

You may be on to something with regard to intentionally making the uniforms as ugly as possible to generate publicity

There was an uproar after Georgia football took the cash from Nike and wore the "Nike Pro Combat" unis against Boise State last September

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2011/08/22/poll-georgias-nike-pro-combat-unis-love-em-or-hate-em/

Bojangles4Eva
02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe my eyes are going bad, but was the grey/silver contrasted with purple or blue? To me the lateral dots on the sides looked purple, as well as the shoes. I kept thinking we looked like K State, sans the raging meathead on the sidelines.

cspan37421
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I look at it as supporting Duke instead of supporting Nike.

Plus the jacket is nice. lol...I think I'll pass though.

Just a wild guess, but your support probably goes primarily to Nike this way. A check to the annual fund is a more effective way to support Duke.

devildeac
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Oddly, I don't see any gray/platinum here:

http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/logos.pdf

:rolleyes:

cf-62
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Never said I didn't like the result of some of the games with the jerseys worn, but it doesn't change that they do not look good and that it's not a school color.

A) They DO look good.
B) Who cares if they're not the school color? I don't root for BLUE. I root for Duke.

And there is plenty of Duke Blue in the Black jerseys.

I understand that the platinum uniforms are universally hated by age, but those that lament that black isn't a school color, so shouldn't be worn are mostly in the older than 50 group.

Lunchab1es
02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
A) They DO look good.
B) Who cares if they're not the school color? I don't root for BLUE. I root for Duke.

And there is plenty of Duke Blue in the Black jerseys.

I understand that the platinum uniforms are universally hated by age, but those that lament that black isn't a school color, so shouldn't be worn are mostly in the older than 50 group.

I disagree a bit with A (although they do look better in person, and up close), but agree with everything else you said. I was begging to think I was alone
:p

throatybeard
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
No, the two college students did not like them at all. Not on Florida, not on Kentucky, and particularly not on Duke.

I would not could not like them on a Heel. I would not could not like them on Dick Vermiel.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Thanks - that never gets old!

Regarding the unis - I'm in the dislike side but it's ok for 1 game. The blue needs to be darker and Duke should be on the jersey.

All I can think is:

U G L Y
You ain't got no alibi
They're ugly, Carolina ugly!

ncexnyc
02-13-2012, 01:06 PM
And here I thought those uni's the heels wore a few years ago were the ugliest things I'd ever seen. Boy was I wrong. The ones we wore Saturday were 100 times uglier. :(

hq2
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Pretty bad. Need to stick to the classic blue and whites. As I recall, the last time they tried significant fiddling around
with unis was during the disastrous 94-95 season. Need to learn from that.

Onlyduke
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
They're UGLY. The school color is dark blue, not gray.

DukeDevilDeb
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I like them! I think they probably look better up close than they do on TV. I agree that it needs a little more contrast, but the grey gives it a sleek look.

Take it from one who was up close (hugging a couple of players) at the game. They are even uglier in person than on TV. :(

crimsondevil
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
I would not could not like them on a Heel. I would not could not like them on Dick Vermiel.

I would not like them on my spouse. I do not like them in Our House.

I do not like gray-shirts-and-shorts. I do not like them, Nike Sports.

hq2
02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Would they weat them in a house, or would you wear them with a mouse?
Would you wear them on a plane? Would you wear them
on a train? Would you wear them here or there? Would you wear them anywhere?

And no, I don't think at the end, where they put them on, that they change their
minds about them. WE DO NOT LIKE THEM, SAM I AM!

Period.

throatybeard
02-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Would they wear them in a house, or would you wear them with a mouse?

By the way, anyone notice that Kansas State is wearing regular uniforms almost as ugly as our space-age recycled aluminum dust silver underwear?

throatybeard
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
The gray unis are making me think the black unis aren't that awful. That's how bad they are. At least you can see the players' names and numbers on the black unis.

Are you sure? I've always had trouble. And I have 20-15.

devildeac
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Are you sure? I've always had trouble. And I have 20-15.

Miles had 13-22 and he had trouble seeing his teammates at times:rolleyes:.