PDA

View Full Version : Great Calipari line

Olympic Fan
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Kentucky's John Calipari turned 53 today. When somebody congratulated him on his 53rd birthday, he said, "The NCAA vacated two years, so I'm really only 51."

Not a big Calipari fan, but that's funny!

SilkyJ
02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
not a calimari fan either, but I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.

ricks68
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes, very, very funny. At the rate he is going, he could well end up like that Brad Pitt character in the movie where he ages backwards. ;)

ricks

gep
02-11-2012, 04:29 AM
So... is the NCAA the new "fountain of youth"???

allenmurray
02-11-2012, 10:07 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 Calapari had always rated about a -7 with me. That line has moved him up to a -2.

uh_no
02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 Calapari had always rated about a -7 with me. That line has moved him up to a -2.

Due to NCAA vacations of 5 points, calipari still rates as a -7 with you, hate to tell you.

delfrio
02-11-2012, 11:05 AM
The real question is how much he pays his writers for such lines.

mgtr
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Maybe the NCAA top folks will see this as a sign that Calimari doesn't think much of them, and doesn't take their actions seriously. But it is funny.

Kfanarmy
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm sure he's really thinking "and if all the facts were known, I wouldn't have aged a year since arriving at UK!"

uh_no
02-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe the NCAA top folks will see this as a sign that Calimari doesn't think much of them, and doesn't take their actions seriously. But it is funny.

They already don't which is why they started threatening suspensions if they didn't remove his vacated games/final fours from the media guide.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Watching the UK/Vandy game at Memorial Gymnasium. Because of the raised floor the benches are along the baselines instead of the sidelines. The coaches literally hover around the baseline while their team plays offense in front of them.

Calimari just went on the court, while play was going on, and is trying to physically push Terrence Jones where he wants him to go on the court.

BD80
02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Calipari is a great wit and a great basketball coach - maybe not as great as he considers himself to be - but still great.

He does not belong in the college game

uh_no
02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Calipari is a great wit and a great basketball coach - maybe not as great as he considers himself to be - but still great.

He does not belong in the college game

I couldn't disagree more. I think he is a terrible in game coach. You see the games he loses and you wonder why. I remember back to the elite 8 in 2010....and his team took like 25 3's in the first half....and made about 1. You think K, or even ROY lets his team do something they are monumentally bad at for an entire half? It would be like if the lakers gave the ball to shaq and had him try to beat people off the dribble. His players' situational awareness is generally horrid. He's a good recruiter, and he's fine at managing his talent, but I just don't think I can credit him as a great basketball coach. With all the talent he's had, he has failed to win the "big one" 5-6 years he's had the most talented team in the country, and he can't get it done. You think with teams that talented for that many years K wouldn't be able to win a title? K would have won at least one. His shrugging off of free throw shooting has been punished by the basketball gods time and time again.....

I just don't see what he does "well" other than telling his kids to go play.

BD80
02-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I think he is a terrible in game coach. You see the games he loses and you wonder why. I remember back to the elite 8 in 2010....and his team took like 25 3's in the first half....and made about 1. You think K, or even ROY lets his team do something they are monumentally bad at for an entire half? It would be like if the lakers gave the ball to shaq and had him try to beat people off the dribble. His players' situational awareness is generally horrid. He's a good recruiter, and he's fine at managing his talent, but I just don't think I can credit him as a great basketball coach. With all the talent he's had, he has failed to win the "big one" 5-6 years he's had the most talented team in the country, and he can't get it done. You think with teams that talented for that many years K wouldn't be able to win a title? K would have won at least one. His shrugging off of free throw shooting has been punished by the basketball gods time and time again.....

I just don't see what he does "well" other than telling his kids to go play.

He gets elite talent to come to UK, then he gets them to play together and to play roles, AND HE GETS THEM TO PLAY DEFENSE.

In my mind that's great coaching.

"Winning the big one" is extremely difficult, made exponentially harder if one must rely upon freshmen (ask the Fab Five).

I don't compare Calipari to Coach K, that is a bit unfair. One could be a great coach and not half the coach Coach K is.

If you want comparisons, who has had more talent over the last 5-6 years, Calipari or ol' roy (considering 1st round picks have stayed multiple years at unc)? I think Calipari would get much more out of the heels than ol' roy has.

uh_no
02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
He gets elite talent to come to UK, then he gets them to play together and to play roles, AND HE GETS THEM TO PLAY DEFENSE.

In my mind that's great coaching.

"Winning the big one" is extremely difficult, made exponentially harder if one must rely upon freshmen (ask the Fab Five).

I don't compare Calipari to Coach K, that is a bit unfair. One could be a great coach and not half the coach Coach K is.

If you want comparisons, who has had more talent over the last 5-6 years, Calipari or ol' roy (considering 1st round picks have stayed multiple years at unc)? I think Calipari would get much more out of the heels than ol' roy has.

We're not going to agree on this. I just think that there are at least half a dozen coaches out there that could have done more with the talent calipari has had than calipari has:

K
Boeheim
Izzo
Stevens
Dixon
Donovan
Self
Pitino

Calipari teams cakewalk through the SEC (much like memphis used to in C-USA) they get a good seed in the tournament, and lose when they hit a team who's decently well coached and fairly talented...usually because of some stupid reason.....The past two years they've gone out jacking up 3s and shooting themselves in the foot....you think any of the coahes above go out of the tournament because their teams make the same stupid decisions over and over again? He got his entire team drafted a few years ago.....after losing to a west virginia team that we absolutely destroyed.

The point isn't that great coaches don't lose in the tournament, or that they don't get blown out. Any coach cat get beaten by a better or more talented team. What great coaches DON'T do is let their teams come in and take silly shots, make stupid decisions, and lose year after year to less talented teams....heck they came within a shot of losing to princeton last year....PRINCETON...a team with Brandon knight, terrence Jones and Doron Lamb should not be taken down to the wire by princeton. Now nothing against princeton, but we're talking about one of the, if not the most talented team on the planet (duke sans kyrie).....and he can't get that team to win easily against princeton?

That's not great coaching.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to defend Calipari. But if there's only a dozen coaches who could do more with the talent he has, that's still pretty darn good.

Hate the guy, but look what he builds. At multiple places. Guy can recruit and coach.

And, I think we all agee -- he doesn't belong in college.