PDA

View Full Version : The unbeaten one falls!

JasonEvans
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Murray State, the last unbeaten team in the land and a team that had a real shot to finish the regular season without a blemish on their record, fell to Tennessee State last night 72-68. Experts had opinion that an undefeated but largely untested Murray State team could get as high as a #3 or #4 seed in the big dance. Now that their record is blemished, I suspect they will not get higher than about a #6 or #7 seed. Tennessee State's record is only 16-10, so it is not like Murray State lost to some mid-major powerhouse.

-Jason "yes, there is other news aside from Rivers' shot" Evans

ScreechTDX1847
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Analysts were discussing last night the possibility that even one loss makes them a bubble team. I am sure it was merely fodder for discussion but a couple more losses and they could be right.

sagegrouse
02-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Analysts were discussing last night the possibility that even one loss makes them a bubble team. I am sure it was merely fodder for discussion but a couple more losses and they could be right.

Pomeroy has Murray State at #73. CBS Sports RPI has Murray State at #52 with #267 strength of schedule. Its best wins are Memphis (#26) in Memphis and Southern Miss (#56) in Alaska.

My advice to the Racers is to not lose the OVC tournament.

sagegrouse

MulletMan
02-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Pomeroy has Murray State at #73. CBS Sports RPI has Murray State at #52 with #267 strength of schedule. Its best wins are Memphis (#26) in Memphis and Southern Miss (#56) in Alaska.

sagegrouse

I would argue that the bigger game for them will be during the Bracket Busters event when they get St. Mary's on their home court. (I think that is next weekend). If they can beat St. Mary's, then they have a legit win over a tournament team... if not...

tommy
02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
At least the Wildcats can now plausibly claim to be the best team in their own state

Olympic Fan
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

sagegrouse

I watched most of the ESPN commentary and the point I kept hearing was that one MORE loss would leave them in trouble. They play a very good St. Mary's team (No. 13 nationally) at home next week in the Bracketbusters. That is the game they kept saying was important for Murray State to win.

Keep in mind, this discussion only applies if Murray State falls in their conference tournament, which would be another loss to a team that's not in the top 100.

So really, we're talking about a minimum of three losses before they find themselves in real trouble.

CDu
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I watched most of the ESPN commentary and the point I kept hearing was that one MORE loss would leave them in trouble. They play a very good St. Mary's team (No. 13 nationally) at home next week in the Bracketbusters. That is the game they kept saying was important for Murray State to win.

Keep in mind, this discussion only applies if Murray State falls in their conference tournament, which would be another loss to a team that's not in the top 100.

So really, we're talking about a minimum of three losses before they find themselves in real trouble.

Yup. Win their tournament and it's irrelevant. Beat St. Mary's and it's probably irrelevant. Lose to St. Mary's AND in their tournament and they should be sweating bullets.

KenTankerous
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
At least the Wildcats can now plausibly claim to be the best team in their own state

Hold up, now. We have another #1 team 'round these parts, you know.

http://campus.mst.edu/athleticsarchives/hoops/d2basketball/d2hoops.html

Incidentally, I ran into some Knights a few weeks back at a watering hole near their campus. I got to chatting and asked them about their visit to Cameron. One of them said that next to actually winning the D2 NC, getting to play in Cameron was the best thing about last year's amazing championship run.

Jim3k
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Yup. Win their tournament and it's irrelevant. Beat St. Mary's and it's probably irrelevant. Lose to St. Mary's AND in their tournament and they should be sweating bullets.

St. Mary's is a local team here and doing well. But...they just got whomped by Gonzaga yesterday in Spokane, 73-59. That's a season split for those two.

Anyway, I'm of the view that St. Mary's is a possible bubble team, too. Don't know how the Murray State game will affect either team. The Gaels are 22-3, the Zags are 19-4. Both St. Mary's and Murray St. will need that win, particularly if St. Mary's stumbles again, like in the WCC Tournament. They got jobbed last year,though they were worthy.