PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Maryland Pre/In-Game Thread 2/11/12 4PM

devildeac
02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
OK, folks, the true rivalry game 2012, edition 1.0 is in the books. Let's turn our attention to what we need to do to re-focus and beat the Terps tomorrow. I'm sure K and the staff let the guys have their moment but wasted very little time getting ready for this one. Next play.

JasonEvans
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
There almost has to be a letdown of some sort. I just hope it passes quickly. This could be a good game for Mason to get his groove back on the offensive end as he just flat out dominated them last time.

It would be nice if, rather than a letdown, the theatrics of Wednesday night translate into a new flood of energy going forward for this team!

-Jason

dukedoc
02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Curious to see if Austin's play and the overall team dynamic changes at all relative to the last several games after Austin's big shot. It would seem to be a logical "turning point" in terms of genuinely anointing a floor leader, and I certainly hope Austin continues to grow as a leader but at the same time that there continues to be balance in his approach that includes not only big time individual isolation plays but distributing the ball well to others, communicating well, ramping up the team's overall intensity, etc. Austin went a little AAU at one point against UNC, which worked well because it kept us in the game in that particular moment, but it likely won't be a viable approach going forward. He deserves to be even more confident now than he was going into the last game but I hope it permeates the entire team and not just AR.

diveonthefloor
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
There almost has to be a letdown of some sort. I just hope it passes quickly. This could be a good game for Mason to get his groove back on the offensive end as he just flat out dominated them last time.

It would be nice if, rather than a letdown, the theatrics of Wednesday night translate into a new flood of energy going forward for this team!

-Jason

Despite the spectular winning ending Wednesday, the tape will show several things which must be corrected---and no doubt K will emphasize these:

1) Rebounding
2) Penetration defense
3) Unforced turnovers

We'll also see if the team can handle success.
Maryland is a decent team which can beat us if we don't bring it.

Bob Green
02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Coming off the big road victory over Carolina, it is time to take care of business at home. While we remain unbeaten in conference road games, we have lost our last two conference home games (FSU and Miami in case anyone needs to be reminded). With Maryland coming to town tomorrow afternoon, the guys need to focus upon the task at hand and win, one game at a time, no looking ahead - I know, it's a cliche, but it seems appropriate early on a Friday morning - first up is beating the Terps.

UrinalCake
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
...I certainly hope Austin continues to grow as a leader but at the same time that there continues to be balance in his approach that includes not only big time individual isolation plays but distributing the ball well to others, communicating well, ramping up the team's overall intensity, etc.

One of the ESPN recaps made this point. They said that Austin still needs to work on playing within the team concept, but his individual skills are obviously there. Another way of putting it might be that he plays like an NBA player. I think the willingness and the attitude is there to play within the team concept, it's just that there are moments when we need him to be selfish. So as you said, a tough balance but one that I'm confident he'll find.

Matches
02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Maryland's been a one-man team lately, but the one man (Stoglin) is pretty darn good. We need to limit his drives, force him to work for his points. They are otherwise an offensively challenged team.

I do expect some sort of letdown, and I wouldn't be surprised if it manifests itself in the form of tired legs/ poor shooting. Definitely agree that establishing a post game early is the antidote to that potential problem.

COYS
02-10-2012, 10:37 AM

-Jason

I think you have a great point about getting Mason involved early. Mason held his own on the boards on Wednesday (14 boards), but didn't get too many other opportunities and even blew a layup after he made a great move to drive by Zeller. If Mason can get some easy buckets in the post, it will make it easier to absorb any let down our perimeter offense might have.

As for perimeter defense, we defended Maryland pretty well last time. Hopefully we can build on that While Duke/UNC is always more than just another game, in the grand scheme of the season, it really IS just another game in which our strong offense carried our continually mediocre defense. The team needs to focus on tightening up the D as we move into Phase IV of the season.

-bdbd
02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Agreed about getting Mason going early, as MD really doesn't have an answer for him if he's "on."

My biggest concern is just about us - our guys. We're ALL so jazzed about Wed. night, it has to be just incredibly difficult to focus on MD so quickly afterwards, right? I know K will hit the right buttons, starting with, "Start defending OUR HOUSE like it means something!"

If this team was looking for a spark, or any excuse, to start charging into the second half of this season, then they now have it. I trust we'll see AR more comfortably playing a more leader-like role going forward too. This is a game that we SHOULD win, if we just focus. I'm interested to see what they do to Stoglin to shut down his "one man show."

:confused:

CDu
02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I echo the others who hope the inevitable emotional letdown doesn't cause too much trouble tomorrow. We're clearly the superior team in terms of talent (though Maryland does have some talented players).

If we shoot well, rebound well, avoid crazy foul trouble, and contain Stoglin, we should be just fine.

dyedwab
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
and here's what worries me.

Our last 3 home games have been plagued by long periods of poor play, twice costing us the game, and once making Coach K treat a win as though it was a loss.

So, even without the high drama of Wednesday night and the inevitable let down, this would be an issue.

So I think the key is to eliminate early "unforced errors" til we settle in

Kedsy
02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I echo the others who hope the inevitable emotional letdown doesn't cause too much trouble tomorrow. We're clearly the superior team in terms of talent (though Maryland does have some talented players).

I don't think the letdown is inevitable. That may be the most likely outcome, but I think there's a decent possibility that we carry the energy over and come out superstrong. In his post-game interview after the shot of his life, Austin mentioned the need to come out strong against Maryland, so the players were already thinking about it. I'm sure K has been hammering it into them yesterday and today. It's even possible we come out too strong and make a few too-fast errors and need to settle down, but that's different from an emotional letdown.

MCFinARL
02-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't think the letdown is inevitable. That may be the most likely outcome, but I think there's a decent possibility that we carry the energy over and come out superstrong. In his post-game interview after the shot of his life, Austin mentioned the need to come out strong against Maryland, so the players were already thinking about it. I'm sure K has been hammering it into them yesterday and today. It's even possible we come out too strong and make a few too-fast errors and need to settle down, but that's different from an emotional letdown.

I agree--and I hope we do come out strong. I wonder if we may see more of Andre, Miles, and Quinn in this game, who played fewer minutes than the others against UNC (because of a combination of foul issues and match-ups rather than poor play, I think). They might not be quite as tired, and they might also be especially eager to show what they can do on the court.

davekay1971
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm extremely interested to see how much fire and focus our guys come out with. We've had 3 lackluster games in a row at home, and now just coming off an extremely emotional road win. It's about the perfect recipe for a letdown.

BUT...

I think (maybe it's wishful thinking) that the team now has it's leader. Austin has been our most consistent player over the last several games, clearly has a fire to win that is, at least, and is our most talented player. Whatever the team dynamics when we started the season, I could very easily see the dynamic from here on out being "Austin is our leader, and he's the guy we're going to look to when things get tight." Not being in the locker room, I may be way off on that. But at the very least, when it came down to it in Chapel Hill, everyone looked to Austin to get get the job done.

I agree with the tactics that have already been endorsed in this thread - Maryland doesn't have an answer for another of our really talented players - get the ball in early and often to Mason, play this game inside-out. But, regardless of who's scoring, I'm going to be watching closely to see who's getting the ball when Maryland puts on a run, who's talking in the huddles, who's laying into his teammates when our defense lets up, etc...

Albert
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Yes, I think it would be more than a minor failing of coaching and leadership to have a huge win, where we finally saw a consistent and determined effort for 40 minutes, be the cause of our not putting in a consistent and determined effort for 40 minutes in the next game.

It should be interesting to see who starts (Hairston or no?), given the UNC game and the unique way we approached that challenge.

loldevilz
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Despite the spectular winning ending Wednesday, the tape will show several things which must be corrected---and no doubt K will emphasize these:

1) Rebounding
2) Penetration defense
3) Unforced turnovers

We'll also see if the team can handle success.
Maryland is a decent team which can beat us if we don't bring it.

We still pressure more than we should. I feel like we can't take away the perimeter but we should be able to take away inside. Often I feel like we are trying to take away both and in the end not taking away anything.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-10-2012, 02:03 PM
I agree--and I hope we do come out strong. I wonder if we may see more of Andre, Miles, and Quinn in this game, who played fewer minutes than the others against UNC (because of a combination of foul issues and match-ups rather than poor play, I think). They might not be quite as tired, and they might also be especially eager to show what they can do on the court.

I'll really looking forward to see how Quinn contributes to this game. He didn't get to play in the last one, which might be to our advantage.

Chris Randolph
02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
The letdown element has been discussed already but I'm not so sure we will have one. The fact that the game is in Cameron and we lost our last game there will be a motivating factor for Duke. I think the game from Wednesday will give our guys confidence and hopefully it fires them up for the stretch run of the ACC. I think Maryland will play tough and keep it close for awhile. If Duke can build and grow from Wednesday, combine that with a legit playmaker and confidence, we could see a nice run over the next 2 months. I like Duke over Maryland 76-64.

COYS
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I would like to point out an amazing stat. At the end of last season, Duke lost Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith. One was a 2,000+ point scorer and a Final Four MOP. The other fell just shy of 2,000 points and was the ACC POTY. The team also lost perhaps the best offensive player in the nation and the number 1 pick in the NBA draft in Kyrie Irving, even though he only played in 11 games.

What do coach K and the staff do? They come back the next year and trot out an EVEN BETTER offense. Duke is now number 1 in KenPom's adjusted efficiency rankings. While the lead over last year's team is slender, it's still amazing that a team that lost as much as it did last year could come back the next year and be even better on the offensive end. The defensive struggles have been well documented, of course. And I certainly hope that the team can improve on that end. However, the offense has been improving all season. While we all want to see improvement on the defensive end, it is still a good sign for Duke if the offense can continue its ascension against Maryland.

For all the talk about needing a pure point guard on the team, it is worth paying attention to just how good an offensive team Duke is. I know coach K and the staff will never give up on defense, it's not nearly so bad struggling on defense when the offense is so potent.

CarmenWallaceWade
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
A transformation occurred on Saturday, Feb 13th, 2010. Duke vs Maryland. Cameron Indoor Stadium. Brian Zoubek replaces Miles Plumlee in the lineup, goes for 16 pts, 17 rebs and becomes an inside force for the rest of the season. Blue Devils go on to win their 4 NCAA Championship.

De ja blu?

Duvall
02-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Ugh - Torn ACL for Pe'Shon Howard, out for season (https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsInsider/status/168088253218566144).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Ugh - Torn ACL for Pe'Shon Howard, out for season (https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsInsider/status/168088253218566144).

That is too bad. I feel for the kid as he already missed the 1st half of the season and now he has to go through this. Hopefully he can come back just as strong and help them out next year, Turgeon and them will need it. Stoglin may say bye bye after this one.

DukeWarhead
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Dang. Get well, kid. Would much prefer you were only out for one game.

MChambers
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Dang. Get well, kid. Would much prefer you were only out for one game.
I'd prefer he play against Duke. It would be more of a challenge to our defense.

Hope he has a full recovery.

Amazing number of knee injuries in the ACC this year, BTW.

NYBri
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
There is another aspect about this game coming up.

After some pretty lackluster performances at home by the Devils, they go out and perform a miracle at 3 Rivers Stadium.

Now, after some pretty lackluster performances at Cameron by the CRAZIES, perhaps they will pick up their game and let the team know how much they appreciate what they accomplished.

After all, the Crazies weren't in the Dome, and this will be their first chance to let the team hear from them since Wednesday.

I look for a pretty hot house and I'm hoping Cameron will be on fire.

I would love to be in the house.

devildeac
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

After some pretty lackluster performances at home by the Devils, they go out and perform a miracle at 3 Rivers Stadium.

Now, after some pretty lackluster performances at Cameron by the CRAZIES, perhaps they will pick up their game and let the team know how much they appreciate what they accomplished.

After all, the Crazies weren't in the Dome, and this will be their first chance to let the team hear from them since Wednesday.

I look for a pretty hot house and I'm hoping Cameron will be on fire.

I would love to be in the house.

Ozzie and I will be there and will report after the game.

Bob Green
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
The Vegas line has Duke as a 15.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 152.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

So we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 84-69. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205377631&DB_OEM_ID=4200
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/823691.pdf?ATCLID=205377631&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

-bdbd
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM

Some MD fans up here in DC are pretty unhappy about this right now. The sense was that "they finally maybe had things coming together....now this." I heard Turgeon interviewed, and he was just praising the kid's defense. Saying that he'd expected more scorong, but that Pe'Shon isn't probably a true Point Guard and was "really trying hard to do what was needed for his team to succeed." This HAS to be a big blow going into a tough place like Duke tomorrow, and w/o their best on-ball defender look for Duke to move the rock around pretty efferctively Saturday.

:rolleyes:

It can't help their offense too much to make their only decent scorer also the primary ball handler. But they really don't have a lot of options left - it's Stoglin or the Freshman Faust.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-vs-duke-terps-to-face-blue-devils-without-injured-guard-peshon-howard/2012/02/10/gIQASHPx4Q_story.html

While Howard was sidelined by the broken foot in the season’s early going, Turgeon shifted point guard duties to shooting guard Terrell Stoglin and freshman Nick Faust, alternating between the two as circumstance dictated.

It was the best option, but hardly ideal for either player. Stoglin is the Terrapins’ most gifted shooter, and Faust hadn’t played point guard since grade school. Both were unabashedly relieved and grateful when Howard returned to the lineup against Radford on Dec. 23 to lift the responsibility from their shoulders, playing 32 minutes in his season debut.

Before departing for North Carolina, Turgeon said he was still absorbing the news of Howard’s injury, which was confirmed by an MRI exam late Friday, and figuring out how to adjust his lineup.

“Right now, it’s so fresh and raw that we’re just trying to get through that part of it,” Turgeon said. “We’re going to try different things tomorrow to try to help playing without Pe’Shon.

Turgeon added that his tentative plan for Saturday was to start Stoglin, the ACC’s leading scorer (22 points per game), at point guard; start Faust at shooting guard; and use senior Sean Mosley at the small forward spot.

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Maryland's point guard is out?! Look out for Greivis Vasquez to try to sneak in off the end of the bench in Groucho Marx glasses. That kid would do ANYTHING to get another game in at Cameron.

stixof96
02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Duke needs to pick up right where they left off. I don't know where all this let down talk is coming from......if these Duke players have fire in their blood, right now is the time to show that.......I expect Duke to tip it off and immediately jump all over the Terps.......i'll guarantee that is wht K is expecting, and nothing less......

Reilly
02-11-2012, 01:01 AM
We'll hopefully play hyper elite to match our hyper elite uniforms.

stixof96
02-11-2012, 01:09 AM
We'll hopefully play hyper elite to match our hyper elite uniforms.

Duke needs to play like winning is the ONLY thing.

OldSchool
02-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I am worried not so much about a letdown against Maryland but rather against NC State. When this team gets complacent, they lose their edge and they need that edge to beat a good team. I think they'll be up for the Maryland game but if they get a comfortable win against Maryland I am a bit worried about complacency come the NC State game.

DUKIE V(A)
02-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Keys to the win today...

1. Get the ball inside consistently. Our big guys are far superior to theirs. This will lead to easy buckets and open up the outside.
2. Contain Stoglin. We did a very nice job of this in Game 1 vs. MD aside from a 3 minute stretch to begin the second half. I expect TT to draw the assignment and try his best to deny him the ball. One of the hallmarks of Duke teams is beginning able to contain high scoring guards. Hoping the trend continues.
3. Cameron Crazies being crazy. I expect they will bring it today.

Prediction: Duke by @ least 15.

Go Duke!

Duke76
02-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Are you the first to come up with "3 Rivers Stadium"??.......priceless

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Stoglin will be a good opportunity for our guys to see who's up for trying to shut down a superior perimeter player. I agree that Thornton will likely draw the assignment for a good portion of the game, but I would love to see Rivers and Cook both spend some time on him, both the the challenge: "He's yours for the next 3-4 minutes...shut him down." As Tommie pointed out in his excellent defensive analysis vs. UNC, Cook had a lousy defensive game, but he should have the tools to be a better perimeter defender than that, and, for the season, he has been. Rivers really seems to be stepping up his defense...and, with him having a height advantage on Stoglin, he could really bother him.

Hope Mason and Miles are busy eating their Wheaties right now...those guys should be active and looking to dominate today.

Bob Green
02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Keys to the win today...

1. Get the ball inside consistently.

BINGO!

In the 74-61 victory at Maryland, Mason put up a 23 points and 12 rebounds double double performance. Miles added seven points and four rebounds. We need to replicate that performance today by attacking the Terps inside over and over. We must dump the ball into the Plumlees, force Maryland to stop us in the paint and run our offense inside out. The inside game will open up the perimeter for our sharpshooters.

We did not have a good night behind the 3-point line at the Comcast Center going 3-16 as a team. I don't believe I'm crawling too far out on a limb by predicting Dawkins (1-5), Curry (0-4) and Rivers (0-3) will all put up better numbers this afternoon in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

sagegrouse
02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Duke needs to play like winning is the ONLY thing.

I am worried not so much about a letdown against Maryland but rather against NC State. When this team gets complacent, they lose their edge and they need that edge to beat a good team. I think they'll be up for the Maryland game but if they get a comfortable win against Maryland I am a bit worried about complacency come the NC State game.

Keys to the win today...

1. Get the ball inside consistently. Our big guys are far superior to theirs. This will lead to easy buckets and open up the outside.
2. Contain Stoglin. We did a very nice job of this in Game 1 vs. MD aside from a 3 minute stretch to begin the second half. I expect TT to draw the assignment and try his best to deny him the ball. One of the hallmarks of Duke teams is beginning able to contain high scoring guards. Hoping the trend continues.
3. Cameron Crazies being crazy. I expect they will bring it today.

Prediction: Duke by @ least 15.

Go Duke!

Hey! I am worried for a very unusual reason. We haven't played a strong game in Cameron since beating woeful Wake over three weeks ago.

Let's show some moxie, team!

sage
'Does anyone under the age of 50 still say "moxie?"'

Indoor66
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
'Does anyone under the age of 50 still say "moxie?"'

I should hope so. It is one word that says so much: Moxie! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie)

Reilly
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
... Let's show some moxie, team! ... 'Does anyone under the age of 50 still say "moxie?"'

I'm under 50 and say it, and my use is actually solely basketball-related. Some announcer (I think -- possibly it was G-Man) used it euphemistically about Vince Carter, as I recall. Short-hand for "he's got game, he's got energy, but he's also sort of a punk-a** m*****").

jimsumner
02-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's the Maryland press release on Howard's injury.

"Sophomore point guard Pe'Shon Howard will be out for the remainder of the 2011-12 basketball season, head coach Mark Turgeon announced Friday.

Howard tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during practice on Thursday. Final reports of medical tests and a prognosis were not available until during Friday afternoon’s practice. Howard also tore some cartilage in the knee.

"We're heartbroken for Pe'Shon," said Turgeon. "He's done everything we've asked of him this season and he was playing very well. Obviously it's been a tough year for him, but he's a great kid."

Howard was averaging 6.5 points per game and had a team-high 52 assists despite missing the first nine games of the season, when he was recovering from a broken bone in his foot.

Maryland's sports medicine staff anticipates surgery to be scheduled within the next couple weeks. Howard is expected to return next season."

ChicagoCrazy84
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM

NC State has beeen a team I've worried about for a bit now. Not just us being complacent, but generally speaking State is good this year and again, have taller more physical guards. I won't worry so much about it right now, we still have to take care of MD, but just wanted to voice my opinion.

As for Maryland, I don't think we should have a problem with them. This team is still angry about losing at home and we'll play hard today. As long as we make some shots, I say we win by at least 15. I'm looking for Mason, Andre, and Miles to have good games :)

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I hate the grey uniforms.

Dukeface88
02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I hate the grey uniforms.

Seriously. Is there any chance of changing back to the real ones at halftime?

J4Kop99
02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Hopefully Duke is down by about 7 at halftime, realizes it is due to the jersey's, someone makes a Mighty Ducks-like speech, they bring out the real jerseys, Duke changes, comes out for the 2nd half and wins by 20.

quack, quack, qua...

grossbus
02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Ugly!

So many teams have done this.

Want the white!

roywhite
02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Our play in the first segment was as ugly as the uniforms.

Son of Mojo
02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Those uniforms are horrifically bad. Is that even Duke blue on the jerseys? It's some form of blue but it doesn't look like Duke blue. Burn 'em now!!!

grossbus
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
There is likely a connection!!!

Verga3
02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Hideous. Can't see the numbers. Nike is wrong on this one...

h8lightblue
02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Those uniforms are horrifically bad. Is that even Duke blue on the jerseys? It's some form of blue but it doesn't look like Duke blue. Burn 'em now!!!

I agree, they are very dull looking. They need a deeper blue to brighten them up.

grannyduke
02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
They are a disaster! Get rid of them now,

NYBri
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
i hate the grey uniforms.

agreed!

Les Grossman
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Whats up with this? Going for a Hoyas look?

Phoenix22
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Hate the grey. Don't like the "Blue Devils". Though, I have always wondered why the home team always wears white? The dark colors seem to represent the team better, so shouldn't the home team wear their colors? Duke Blue all the time!

grossbus
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I hate the way we are playing.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
let's go devils

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Need to overcome the evil mojo of the stolen Hoyas jerseys.

lotusland
02-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Need to overcome the evil mojo of the stolen Hoyas jerseys.

I was thinking that there must have been some type of laundry accident.

mndukie
Already 3 absolutely uncalled for turnovers (Kelly, Andre & Seth)...when will this team learn to value the basketball?

DukeGirl4ever
As a fan, I wouldn't mind having a jersey like that to wear around - it's different.
One thing I like about it is the name underneath the numbers. That's kind of neat.

And, I love the warm-ups. I would definitely buy them.

As for the game, can we PLEASE STOP HEDGING 30 FEET FROM THE BASKET?
I HATE IT! It serves no purpose whatsoever with THIS team.

chaosmage
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
As a fan, I wouldn't mind having a jersey like that to wear around - it's different.
One thing I like about it is the name underneath the numbers. That's kind of neat.

And, I love the warm-ups. I would definitely buy them.

As for the game, can we PLEASE STOP HEDGING 30 FEET FROM THE BASKET?
I HATE IT! It serves no purpose whatsoever with THIS team.

Agreed. I like anything different.. i.e. I waited for my first Duke jersey once I knew the ones with the Chapel on the back came out. I like that kind of thing. But I'd almost rather see the team in the black jerseys instead of these.

My Duke buddy and I consider those unlucky.

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Does that count as an assist for Mason in that off the backboard and rim pass to Miles for the dunk?

Chris Randolph
02-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think it would matter what uniforms we had on today, we are looking bad. I do agree the uniforms are pathetic.

I wonder if this team will ever play consecutive good games in a row. Right now we haven't been able to do it for a month. Last I checked, to win the ACC tourney and national tourney you have to play well many games in a row

grrrr this game. Hope for a better 2nd half

anon
02-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey. Remember that one awesome game between Duke and Maryland over ten years ago? That means it's a rivalry!

DukeGirl4ever
02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Two things we need to do:

1.) Play MP1 and MP2 together - enough said.
2.) RUN - get points in transition! We can run on this team. Might open up the 3 point line. Even with our tired legs, if we get points in transition and see the ball go in the hoop, that 3 ball might look a little nicer.

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey. Remember that one awesome game between Duke and Maryland over ten years ago? That means it's a rivalry!

Almost feel bad for Len trying to argue that his alma mater really does have a rivalry with Duke. Almost.

Clearly ESPN has given the announcers clear instructions to plug the rivalry angle for Rivalry Week. How about the "both teams are playing aggressive defense and limiting each others offense" angle? The "can Maryland keep up the pace if Duke starts hitting from the outside" angle? The "will Duke be able to take advantage of Md being without their primary pg" angle? Nah...ESPN doesn't do angles actually relevant to the game being played.

RoyalBlue08
02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Any chance Duke comes out in white for the 2nd half? Probably would break some kinda Nike contract.....

NYBri
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
So far, the game on Wednesday hasn't had a positive effect.

The unis are for fans, not for the team. I'd wear it, but you can't see numbers.

Awful.

Chris Randolph
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Plumlees are playing well and with good energy. I think we will play better as a whole in the 2nd half. If we can knock down a few of those open 3's, we will get it rolling

SupaDave
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Overall not a bad half. Stoglin is a menace. Not many teams stopping that guy but if his support wanes then Maryland is cooked. Currently the team is a bit tight b/c the refs are calling the game tight.

We've had some highlights in the first half and some great things to build on (Hairston with the steal). We've also been a little loose with our defense of the basket BUT I attribute some of that to early foul trouble in the first half - b/c ya know, the refs are calling the game tight.

2nd half I fully expect the horses to kick in at home. Players will relax and shoot more confidently. Maryland is defending the perimeter well but I love that there was a stat for "Plumlee brothers" vs. the rest of the team. As long as we are controlling the paint, I'm quite confidant that we shall pull this one out.

Maryland is a good match up - almost like a tourney tune-up. A team with one outstanding player that could put your lights out if his teammates contribute.

chaosmage
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Overall not a bad half. Stoglin is a menace. Not many teams stopping that guy but if his support wanes then Maryland is cooked. Currently the team is a bit tight b/c the refs are calling the game tight.

We've had some highlights in the first half and some great things to build on (Hairston with the steal). We've also been a little loose with our defense of the basket BUT I attribute some of that to early foul trouble in the first half - b/c ya know, the refs are calling the game tight.

2nd half I fully expect the horses to kick in at home. Players will relax and shoot more confidently. Maryland is defending the perimeter well but I love that there was a stat for "Plumlee brothers" vs. the rest of the team. As long as we are controlling the paint, I'm quite confidant that we shall pull this one out.

Maryland is a good match up - almost like a tourney tune-up. A team with one outstanding player that could put your lights out if his teammates contribute.

True for us, but a cautionary thought ;-)

NYBri
02-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Watching without sound. Don't ask.

How's the crazies? They into it.

grossbus
02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Florida wearing gray...and losing.

mndukie
02-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Wow, Len conceded that the last push in the back was ALMOST obvious. It's been beaten to death here but can someone at ESPN please get these two clowns off the air?

Dukeface88
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't understand why announcers talk about going X minutes without a basket when a team has been hitting free throws on the last several possessions.

BlueTeuf
02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Doesn't seem to be getting any burn.

SupaDave
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Miles has 17 rebounds!!! Holy guacamole!!!

Philadukie
02-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I count 20 boards for Miles. Is that right?

grossbus
Patrick and Elmore are idiots (not news)

Not a travel on miles on the steal.

g-money
A transformation occurred on Saturday, Feb 13th, 2010. Duke vs Maryland. Cameron Indoor Stadium. Brian Zoubek replaces Miles Plumlee in the lineup, goes for 16 pts, 17 rebs and becomes an inside force for the rest of the season. Blue Devils go on to win their 4 NCAA Championship.

De ja blu?

Prescient post.

Keep it up Miles!!!!

1 24 90
02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
21 for #21!

and the final count is 22. Can I vote now for MOTM?