PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Duke comeback?

UrinalCake
02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
For the visual learners:
gone in 54-seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiBVtzJOWCU)
MD in final 4 (vault.ncaa.com/?game=306SR024_s01)
Dockery'ed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQ-dlhyfNc)
Feb 9, 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjhRnIqLlc)
yesterday's game (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7556989)

Mr.Analogy
02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
This years comeback without question. To beat them at home, in front of the smurf nation, after all the junk talking we've heard all week, it was blissful to see them go down in flames like that. To come back after being outplayed basically the entire game and to destroy them at the buzzer and see their fans all speechless and crying....that's every Duke fans dream come true!!!

Hurley2Hill
02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Until last night, it was Gone in 54 seconds (that game is on ESPN Classic right now, BTW). I was living with a MD grad at the time, so....you can imagine the cloud of smug that hung over our house for a day or so.

I haven't celebrated like I did last night, physically and vocally, since the Laettner shot. I kept my mouth shut in every way through the flurry of stupid JPG's and ceaseless yapping yesterday, and I was rewarded. Selah.

UrinalCake
02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
This is such a tough one to answer for me. The 1998 game was the only one of these that I saw in person. The Heels were tearing us up inside, as they always seemed to do, and then Elton came in and they just couldn't stop him. Cameron was the loudest it ever was during my four years (95-99), I thought the roof would literally blow off of the building.

The gone in 54 seconds game was mind-boggling, but in terms of stakes the final four game that year was more important. It was the pinnacle of frustration for the Terps, who had become a really good program but just could not beat us.

The 2011 and 2012 games are similar in that it looked like UNC would just run away with things, but then we got hot and they tightened up. The comeback was more condensed in 2012, but 2011 was also an amazing game. It was the coming out party for Curry, just as the 2012 game was for Rivers.

All in all I have to vote for 1998 for purely personal reasons. I'll never forget that experience.

meloveduke
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
It came down to 2001 in MD and this year at UNC. I chose at UNC for the simple fact that its at UNC. Had the 2001 game been vs UNC that one would have won by far....

chadlee989
02-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe the hardest vote i have ever made on DBR. Great Poll! I went with the 01 comeback on Maryland cause that was in the final four and it was a great game and a great team. But last night and miracle min were great. No winner here except us as Duke fans.

Newton_14
02-09-2012, 11:34 PM
I called a close Duke friend last night right after the game ended. I told him that Duke had just given me the greatest regular season victory in my lifetime. 24 hours later I have not changed my opinion. Gone in 54 seconds was awesome, but this was Carolina.

The elements of last night
-dramatic comeback ... 13 down at one point, 10 down with 2:34 to go
-road game
-buzzer beater with time expiring before the ball reaches the goal. make wins it, miss loses it
-slight underdog being ranked 10th and playing the 5th ranked team
-the player the opponent hates the most hits the big shot
-the Barnes angle
-the Ol Roy angle
-with Duke coming off the Miami loss every UNC fan at work road me everyday leading up to the game. They were giddy and convinced a blowout was coming
-IT WAS CAROLINA

In my 45 years, no other regular season win can top it.

ricks68
02-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Gone in 54 seconds because they showed the many, many Maryland "fans" on TV leaving the venue to beat the traffic only to find out later that they had lost. Sweet. Also, Jwill was just magical during that 54 seconds.

The 2001 FF Maryland game because Coach K told the players to just go out and have fun playing together in place of his admittedly "over-coaching" job in the first half. Also, because we then went on to win the whole enchilada.

The 2011 comeback against UNC in 2011 because we were not favored, it looked like they had us for sure at the half, the UNC staff and players were jumping for joy and celebrating at the end of the half, and because I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!

This poll, I believe, should be revisited next year well after the immediate joy and newness of the event has passed. Then, I think we all would be able to put it in a more proper perspective leading to a more rational judgement as to its rank. But for now, all I can think about is how sweet it is-----------and forget about thinking rationally about where it stands. Like Coach K has talked about in the past, we should all just revel in the pure joy of the moment. Enjoy the now of the accomplishment.:D Go Duke!!!!

ricks

magjayran
02-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Had to go with the final 4 Maryland game. It led most directly to a national title and was the culmination of an intense 4 game series with the Terps that year (which we won 3-1.)

burnspbesq
02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Wednesday night is hard to top, but what about the women vs. UConn in 2004? From down 20 midway through the second half to a buzzer-beating three that ended a 60-something game home winning streak.

ScreechTDX1847
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
This latest win has a special place in my heart but I have had a decade to relive the gone-in-54 seconds game. I still watch it randomly late at night sometimes (too much:p).

hq2
02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
All in all I have to vote for 1998 for purely personal reasons. I'll never forget that experience.

The '98 comeback was more intense because of the Elton comeback factor, it was at home, and because Carolina
had dominated the rivalry the previous four seasons. It marked the end of that era and the beginning of a new
era of Duke dominance, which lasted for six seasons. But for pure improbability of a Duke win, I can't find a Carolina
game ever that tops the latest game. Pretty amazing. They even were razzing Kenny Smith on TV last night about him tweeting how
Carolina was going to win during the game. They had a photo montage of him with a "Dewey Defeats Truman"
newspaper saying "Carolina beats Duke". It was sweet!

RoyalBlue08
02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Logically for me it should be the final four vs Maryland because of how important it was. But I was at a sports bar filled with Maryland (and Maryland that night) fans for the gone in 54 seconds. I'm not sure I can remember a time basketball or otherwise that I have ever been happier, with that whole bar turning from hating on Duke to stunned silence. Must have been sort of like a small version of the Dean Dome on Wednesday.

dukebsbll14
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
I voted for the 2011 Duke/UNC game. Being front row for that one and with it being my first Duke/UNC experience as an undergrad, it's hard to beat.

Throw aside those facts and I think Wednesdays game does a have a bit of an edge.

COYS
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Maryland, '01 Final Four. There was no last second drama. In fact, we ended up winning going away. But that 2001 team, when it got on a role, was waaaaay too much fun to watch. Add to it the fact that we essentially spotted the Terps 22 points and sandbagged ourselves before winning by double digits and it adds insult to injury to the terps. Plus, it's hard not to get excited about Battier willing his team back to get the championship that had thus far been out of his reach. Beating UNC in heart-breaking fashion is always incredible, but I'm not sure I've ever seen Duke play better or with more fun than the end-of-first-half-and-second-half-drubbing of Maryland (Maybe the Laettner shot game? But UK matched us blow for blow). It's funny, I wasn't even all that worried going into half-time. I just knew that team would not be denied.

UrinalCake
02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
You know what's amazing? In those 2001 Maryland matchups there were TEN future NBA players on the floor (not counting the game when Boozer was injured).

Duke:
Battier
Dunleavy
Duhon
J. Williams
Boozer

Maryland:
Terrence Morris
Lonnie Baxter
Juan Dixon
Steve Blake
Chris Wilcox

Of the Maryland guys only Blake has had much of an NBA career.

jimsumner
02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
On December 30, 1950, playing the in the Dixie Classic, Duke trailed Tulane 54-22 early in the second half.

No shot clock, no three-point shot. No ESPN. No Raycom.

Duke won 74-72. Dick Groat led the comeback.

This remains the largest comeback in NCAA basketball history.

Deserves a mention.

The Gordog
02-10-2012, 11:26 AM
For the visual learners:
gone in 54-seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiBVtzJOWCU)
MD in final 4 (vault.ncaa.com/?game=306SR024_s01)
Dockery'ed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQ-dlhyfNc)
Feb 9, 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjhRnIqLlc)
yesterday's game (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7556989)

I can not vote for the gone in 54 game because, while exciting, I feel we stole that one as our comeback only happened after Blake fouled out. Before that he had owned JWill.

3rd Place: The '98 was awesome for the Brand angle, and as mentioned elsewhere it ushered in a new era of Duke dominance.
2nd Place: Austin Rivers. Seeing their stunned faces was priceless.
1st Place: '01 Final Four. The stakes were higher and that makes all the difference. Seeing all those MD fans in the bar rooting for AZ on Monday night, but too ASHAMED to wear their MD gear that had been out in force on Saturday night was totally sweet. I was so full of joy after that... I am now thinking as I type this that it's no coincidence that my son was concieved shortly thereafter after we had been trying for over a year.

Rich
02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
You know what's amazing? In those 2001 Maryland matchups there were TEN future NBA players on the floor (not counting the game when Boozer was injured).

Duke:
Battier
Dunleavy
Duhon
J. Williams
Boozer

Maryland:
Terrence Morris
Lonnie Baxter
Juan Dixon
Steve Blake
Chris Wilcox

Of the Maryland guys only Blake has had much of an NBA career.

Of those Maryland guys, I would have considered him to be the least likely to succeed in the NBA. Shows what I know.

throatybeard
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
"Down 42-30 at the half" doesn't capture the gravity of the situation in the 1998 UNC game. They were matchup hell for us, they waxed us by 24 in Chapel Hill, and turned around and stomped us by 15 a week later in the ACCT Final. We trailed 64-47 at the under-12 television timeout. Carolina's top six were all veterans except for Cota who was a sophomore. Antawn Jamison murdered us on a regular basis. Our veterans were modestly gifted athletes (Wojciechowski, Langdon, McLeod, Singleton) or had disappeared (Price). The bulk of the NBA-quality talent on Duke's roster was in the underclassmen, and Brand had only been back for two games coming off the foot injury. Those guys owned us.

Except for those twelve minutes. Yes, Haywood missed a couple foul shots at the end, but there wasn't really any collapse on Carolina's part. Jamison had a memorable layup where, shortly after we had chanted "yo mama can't spell" at him, he slowly ran the length of the court while Carolina set up and scored on a bullet pass from...Cota?...without having touched the ball for more than about half a second the whole possession. He taunted us, probably justifiably. It's not like Carolina felt apart, Duke just fought and fought and fought, like climbing what seemed like Kilamanjaro.

Wojo had eleven assists and served the beer.

I think it's still better, and an even greater team feat than JWill's Reggie Miller act at Maryland. I honestly thought the noise in Cameron was a structural hazard to the facility. I think I wept for about twenty minutes after the game.

jimsumner
02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
"Down 42-30 at the half" doesn't capture the gravity of the situation in the 1998 UNC game. They were matchup hell for us, they waxed us by 24 in Chapel Hill, and turned around and stomped us by 15 a week later in the ACCT Final. We trailed 64-47 at the under-12 television timeout. Carolina's top six were all veterans except for Cota who was a sophomore. Antawn Jamison murdered us on a regular basis. Our veterans were modestly gifted athletes (Wojciechowski, Langdon, McLeod, Singleton) or had disappeared (Price). The bulk of the NBA-quality talent on Duke's roster was in the underclassmen, and Brand had only been back for two games coming off the foot injury. Those guys owned us.

Except for those twelve minutes. Yes, Haywood missed a couple foul shots at the end, but there wasn't really any collapse on Carolina's part. Jamison had a memorable layup where, shortly after we had chanted "yo mama can't spell" at him, he slowly ran the length of the court while Carolina set up and scored on a bullet pass from...Cota?...without having touched the ball for more than about half a second the whole possession. He taunted us, probably justifiably. It's not like Carolina felt apart, Duke just fought and fought and fought, like climbing what seemed like Kilamanjaro.

Wojo had eleven assists and served the beer.

I think it's still better, and an even greater team feat than JWill's Reggie Miller act at Maryland. I honestly thought the noise in Cameron was a structural hazard to the facility. I think I wept for about twenty minutes after the game.

A Todd Singleton reference! Did not see that coming.

UrinalCake
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I honestly thought the noise in Cameron was a structural hazard to the facility. I think I wept for about twenty minutes after the game.

I was yelling and jumping so wildly that a girl standing in front of me actually asked to switch spots with someone in front of her because she was afraid she would get hurt.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
The next one, obviously.

throatybeard
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
A Todd Singleton reference! Did not see that coming.

You would know this, Jim. Do I remember correctly that Singleton improved in practice so much that they gave him a scholarship like maybe his last season?

NYBri
02-10-2012, 05:12 PM
The emotion of the Gone Game and Wednesday Night's is tough to beat. Always nice to have that incredible fast surge of excitement.

But in terms of just flat out great comebacks, the Maryland game has to be at the top. 22 frickin' points in a final four game. Hard to match that for sheer comeback karma.

Don't get me wrong. They were ALL JUST GREAT!

NYBri
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Wednesday night is hard to top, but what about the women vs. UConn in 2004? From down 20 midway through the second half to a buzzer-beating three that ended a 60-something game home winning streak.

Perfect. Absolutely right.

jimsumner
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
You would know this, Jim. Do I remember correctly that Singleton improved in practice so much that they gave him a scholarship like maybe his last season?

Probably. Lots of walk-ons get scholarship for a year, maybe two.

For the record, Singleton played 46 minutes in 1998 and scored 13 points. That's not bad for a walk-on.

NSDukeFan
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
The next one, obviously.

Reminds me of Scheyer's favorite memory at Duke when he was out to dinner with coach K's family and the other seniors, before the ACC tournament?: "it hasn't happened yet"

ricks68
02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
I can not vote for the gone in 54 game because, while exciting, I feel we stole that one as our comeback only happened after Blake fouled out. Before that he had owned JWill.

3rd Place: The '98 was awesome for the Brand angle, and as mentioned elsewhere it ushered in a new era of Duke dominance.
2nd Place: Austin Rivers. Seeing their stunned faces was priceless.
1st Place: '01 Final Four. The stakes were higher and that makes all the difference. Seeing all those MD fans in the bar rooting for AZ on Monday night, but too ASHAMED to wear their MD gear that had been out in force on Saturday night was totally sweet. I was so full of joy after that... I am now thinking as I type this that it's no coincidence that my son was concieved shortly thereafter after we had been trying for over a year.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...? From what you are saying here, the admissions office should be prepared for a slew of applicants for the class of 2034, right? So, the other night may officially go down in history as the "Duke blue-out":cool:

ricks

davekay1971
02-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Of the games specifically listed, I'm going with Wednesday night. The Rivers shot put it over the top for me...that along with the absolute stunned silence in the Dean Dome afterwards.

The one game not listed that I immediately thought of was the Final Four game, UNLV, 1991. It wasn't a big comeback in terms of points down and time remaining - 5 down with something like 3 minutes left. But it was the unbelievable, unexpected necessary step that led to the 1991 title, then back-to-back, which cemented Duke, and K, as being the pre-eminent program in college ball. Until Anderson Hunt's 3 missed, Duke was still the little brother in Tobacco Road, the school that couldn't quite get over the hump.

And it was the context. After the 30 point beat-down that the very same UNLV team had laid on us in the 1990 championship game, and the way UNLV had absolutely destroyed every team in their path, no one besides MAYBE the guys on the Duke team thought we had a chance to win. The whole game everyone, from Duke students like me to the announcers to casual observers, was just waiting for UNLV to finally put us away. Down 5, with 3 to go, it looked like UNLV was starting to do just that. Then Hurley nailed that 3 from the top of the arc, and it was like, nope, not this year, we're going down to the wire.

It was far from the biggest comeback, but it still seems to me like the most important, and maybe the most improbable (in the context of the moment) of K's time at Duke.

mcs2
02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Very long time lurker on these boards, first time poster.

I definitely have to go with the '98 Carolina game. As others have said, I've never heard Cameron that loud. As we started chipping in to the lead in the second half, the place was so loud and electric that I knew we would win. It didn't matter that we were still down by 10 or 12. The game was already over in my mind. There was no way Haywood was hitting the free throws at the end of the game. Cameron was too loud and too crazy for that to happen. I've never felt anything else like that game. It still gives me chills to think about it.

After the game I decided I'd name my first born kid after CIS (the silly things a twenty year old thinks of!). Fortunately, I married a Duke girl that I met about six months after that game, and now we have a two year old boy named Cameron. Ironically, he's gotten really in to pretending to be Austin Rivers when we play basketball together.

ArtVandelay
02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I've always had a love/hate relationship with Gone in 54 Seconds, but I think it gets my vote. I actually missed it live for reasons that aren't worth getting into. But I was walking back towards Wannamaker from my car and suddenly heard lots of screaming. So I start running to my room, get in and turn on the TV just as regulation was ending. The announcers were literally shouting that it was the greatest comeback of all time, and it became apparent that I had just missed something amazing. Me: "Noooooooooooo!"

Of course, that was tempered by my excitement when I pieced together what happened and then we went on to win. I also recall an impromptu, illegal bonfire that night which was fairly quickly put out by the brownshirts, ahem, Durham Fire Department.

What a frickin' great season.

Rogue
02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Out the ones listed,, it's hard to pick any game that wasn't a win over unc-ch as the best.. but the wow factor of the :54 seconds was unreal.. I was watching by myself at home and it's still hard to believe..

( the Ky win was sorta a come from behind,, we were actually losing by 1 when the shot heard round the world went in :cool: )

The Gordog
02-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...? From what you are saying here, the admissions office should be prepared for a slew of applicants for the class of 2034, right? So, the other night may officially go down in history as the "Duke blue-out":cool:

ricks

Well, I know of at least one they will be getting. Beyond that who can say, but it would not surprise me.

slinky
02-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Singleton was an AB Duke Scholar (Electrical Engineering/CS double major, I think but maybe only EE). So I think he always had an academic scholarship and thus didn't need an athletic scholarship. He was wicked smart.

The '98 comeback was also one of the last years (maybe even the last?) that Cameron didn't have air conditioning. I remember being so insanely hot and sweaty after that game that I just about passed out. And I had been wearing a t-shirt and shorts (during a very cold winter, if I remember correctly). I'm pretty sure Coach K later cited that game as an example of the advantage that no air-cond in Cameron gave us.

TampaDukie
02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
The emotion of the Gone Game and Wednesday Night's is tough to beat. Always nice to have that incredible fast surge of excitement.

But in terms of just flat out great comebacks, the Maryland game has to be at the top. 22 frickin' points in a final four game. Hard to match that for sheer comeback karma.

Don't get me wrong. They were ALL JUST GREAT!
Even now, I still laugh thinking of all the wailing and teeth gnashing done by the Maryland fans and Billy Packer. That comeback was a thing of beauty.

That said, I think I've probably spent a few hours watching the end of Wednesday night's game in slow motion, watching the various reactions of the Carolina fans. So entertaining.

UrinalCake
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Even now, I still laugh thinking of all the wailing and teeth gnashing done by the Maryland fans and Billy Packer. That comeback was a thing of beauty.

I cannot watch that 2001 Final Four game without my blood pressure elevating to unhealthy levels at Billy Packer's commentary. Roughly 6-7 minutes in Maryland commits a routine foul and Packer announces "Duke is getting a lot of calls today." At that point there hadn't been a single objectional call on Maryland, I think they had two fouls and none of them were disputable. Yet here was Packer continuing to propogate the myth of Duke getting all the calls. He keeps it going the entire game. It's almost comical, I mean if you think Elmore is bad he's got nothing on Packer.

throatybeard
02-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Singleton was an AB Duke Scholar (Electrical Engineering/CS double major, I think but maybe only EE). So I think he always had an academic scholarship and thus didn't need an athletic scholarship. He was wicked smart.

The '98 comeback was also one of the last years (maybe even the last?) that Cameron didn't have air conditioning. I remember being so insanely hot and sweaty after that game that I just about passed out. And I had been wearing a t-shirt and shorts (during a very cold winter, if I remember correctly). I'm pretty sure Coach K later cited that game as an example of the advantage that no air-cond in Cameron gave us.

AC came in summer 2001

Warm day last day of February in 1998, 60s probably. Meaning in the 90s downstairs in Cameron. Wasn't a cold winter, was an El Nino winter, meaning warmer and rainy.

killerleft
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Great comebacks all, but I had to vote for the 2001 National Semi-Final against Maryland. It had to happen, or we don't get that 3rd Title. The UNLV game would be right there, too, but that one wasn't really what I would call a comeback win. We were there all along.

The Rivers Game and Gone in 54 seconds are both remarkable. Gone in 54 would otherwise be my favorite because of the fans in ComCast and their great lack of class/riot readiness. And, no, Maryland - thuggery doesn't count toward being a rival.

mbd1mbd1
02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Definitely 98 for me. I was in the building too. Yes it was hot....I was wearing blue body paint which sweated off me and onto my neighbors and my shorts. It never washed out of the shorts or my girlfriend's shirt.

And yes, it was LOUD. I agree that we all knew that Haywood wasn't going to hit those free throws. I think Cota missed a pair as well - the second on purpose.

It can't be understated how good that UNC team was. Guthridge had a six starter rotation that year and went in alphabetical order as to who would start each game. Jamison just killed us.

Was that the year of the Worst Campout Ever and the disastrous foam party?

throatybeard
02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Was that the year of the Worst Campout Ever and the disastrous foam party?

There was an El Niņo. What this means for the Southeast is even less winter than usual (in a place where nitwits think there are severe winters every time it drops below 60), and torrential downpours and thunderstorms. So yes, K-Ville was a mudhole all January and February. Glad I lived in a wooden shack instead of a tent. Rest in Peace Tom D'Armi (1935-2010).

ThePublisher
02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
How could you leave last years (10-11 season) huge comeback at Cameron after being down by 16 (I believe) at the half. Curry stages a monstrous comeback knocking unc back and then out. That one is by far my favorite. And then maybe I'm partial as that was my first Duke UNC game in Cameron.

jimsumner
02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
How could you leave last years (10-11 season) huge comeback at Cameron after being down by 16 (I believe) at the half. Curry stages a monstrous comeback knocking unc back and then out. That one is by far my favorite. And then maybe I'm partial as that was my first Duke UNC game in Cameron.

43-27 late in the half, 43-29 at the half.

Curry had 22 in that game but Nolan had the game of his life, 13-23 from the field (3-6 on 3s, 5-7 from the line, 34 points.

Another unsung comeback in the Duke-Carolina rivalry came in 1989, in the Smith Center. Senior Day for Lebo and Bucknall. Carolina leads 70-60 down the stretch when Ferry and Snyder get out from outside late. Duke comes back for an 88-86 win. Ferry with 24, Snyder goes 3-5 on 3s and scores 15.

killerleft
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
The poll has the two Maryland comebacks leading. Too bad they're not our rival, or we could really gloat!

UrinalCake
02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
How could you leave last years (10-11 season) huge comeback at Cameron after being down by 16 (I believe) at the half.

It's #5 on the list. Great game, we really seemed to be out of it after they waxed us in the first half. The comeback was spurred by two four-point plays in which we got offensive rebounds off of missed free throws. A lot of people said that that comeback could never have happened if the game weren't played in Cameron, but I guess last week proved otherwise. Good times.

wilko
02-14-2012, 02:27 PM
To UNC fans; I'm partial to this quip at the moment - (yes, I know I'm changing the question a bit. I'm zany that way)

"4 of a kind beats 2 pair any day of the week"

mkline09
02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Tough question and all great games and comebacks. One that is high on my list but not a huge margin was the UNVL game in 1991. Duke was down 5 when Hurley hit a big three, Brian Davis hit a big one down the stretch and Laettner hit free throws. Still one of the great upsets and one of my all-time favorite Duke games against a team no one game Duke a shot of winning. That Vegas team was one of the best I've seen.

BlueDevil2K
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Definitely 98 for me. I was in the building too. Yes it was hot....I was wearing blue body paint which sweated off me and onto my neighbors and my shorts. It never washed out of the shorts or my girlfriend's shirt.

Umm....that blue paint is still on my GTHC shirt to this day... And yes, it was worth it!

Nugget
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Tough question and all great games and comebacks. One that is high on my list but not a huge margin was the UNVL game in 1991. Duke was down 5 when Hurley hit a big three, Brian Davis hit a big one down the stretch and Laettner hit free throws. Still one of the great upsets and one of my all-time favorite Duke games against a team no one game Duke a shot of winning. That Vegas team was one of the best I've seen.

Yes.

The 98 Carolina and 01 Maryland (both of them) comebacks were great.

But, 91 Vegas is definitely the best.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2012, 06:55 PM

"Bring on the Champions, Send in the Clowns"

Heh.

bluedevilfan1998
02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I voted for Austin River's three pointer because it was great seeing those Carolina fans get so sad...That and the fact that a guy in my church is a Carolina fan, and he avoided us for the rest of the week. ;)