PDA

View Full Version : Dennard named legend

jimsumner
02-09-2012, 03:52 PM
But we knew that, already.

From Press release.

"Former Duke standout Kenny Dennard will be honored as one of 12 members of the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament Legends class announced on Tuesday by Commissioner John Swofford.

Dennard, a 6-7 forward from Walnut Cove, N.C., lettered four seasons at Duke from 1977-81 and finished his career with 1,057 points which at the time ranked 20th on Duke’s all-time list. He helped lead the Blue Devils to ACC titles in 1978 and 1980 and to three NCAA Tournaments, including a run to the national championship in 1978.

Joining Dennard in the ACC Legends class are John Bagley (Boston College), Sharone Wright (Clemson), James Collins (Florida State), Malcolm Mackey (Georgia Tech), Johnny Rhodes (Maryland), Ron Godfrey (Miami), Todd Fuller (NC State), Kenny Smith (North Carolina), Lee Raker (Virginia), Dale Solomon (Virginia Tech) and Randolph Childress (Wake Forest)."

MChambers
02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
But we knew that, already.

From Press release.

"Former Duke standout Kenny Dennard will be honored as one of 12 members of the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament Legends class announced on Tuesday by Commissioner John Swofford.

Dennard, a 6-7 forward from Walnut Cove, N.C., lettered four seasons at Duke from 1977-81 and finished his career with 1,057 points which at the time ranked 20th on Duke’s all-time list. He helped lead the Blue Devils to ACC titles in 1978 and 1980 and to three NCAA Tournaments, including a run to the national championship in 1978.

Joining Dennard in the ACC Legends class are John Bagley (Boston College), Sharone Wright (Clemson), James Collins (Florida State), Malcolm Mackey (Georgia Tech), Johnny Rhodes (Maryland), Ron Godfrey (Miami), Todd Fuller (NC State), Kenny Smith (North Carolina), Lee Raker (Virginia), Dale Solomon (Virginia Tech) and Randolph Childress (Wake Forest)."

Kind of odd to see Bagley's name, since he never played a minute in the ACC. I guess the same is true of Dale Solomon and may be true of Collins and Godfrey. I understand that they have to do this, so that every team has representatives, but somehow it does not seem right. I guess in a year or two we will see Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglas.

Wander
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I think you spelled "Rivers" wrong in your thread title.

BD80
02-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Kenny wasn't "named" a legend, he was recognized as the legend he has always been.

jimsumner
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Kind of odd to see Bagley's name, since he never played a minute in the ACC. I guess the same is true of Dale Solomon and may be true of Collins and Godfrey. I understand that they have to do this, so that every team has representatives, but somehow it does not seem right. I guess in a year or two we will see Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglas.

Yep. That's the way the ACC chose to do it. In a few years, we can look forward to Jimmy Brown and Tony Dorsett becoming ACC football legends.

OldPhiKap
02-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I am assuming Buck Williams did not get a vote.

Way to go, Kenny!

Newton_14
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Congrats to KD, well deserved. One of my earliest and favorite Duke players. Was fortunate enough to meet him last year at a Football Tailgate courtesy of the rock star we know an love as "Devil In The Blue Dress".

Well done KD. Thanks for the memories!

OZ
02-09-2012, 11:25 PM
The man has always been a legend on and off the court.

I am relieved that his legendary center-fold didn't keep him off the list.