PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-Year Period in the Duke-Carolina Series?

Jderf
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
This may be a bit premature, seeing as we will still have at least one more matchup against UNC this season, but I have been wondering all day about whether or not we are currently in a 3-year highpoint for Duke in the head-to-head series. Specifically, I mean this in the sense of the legendary wins we seem to be having at least once a year. Consider:

2010:
- 82-50. 'Nuff said.*

2011:
- In Cameron, we erased Duke's largest half-time deficit in half-a-century. And I believe it was also the loudest decibel-level ever recorded in CIS.*
- In the ACC Championship, a revenge blow-out (which was itself due to an @UNC revenge-blowout) against the regular season winners for all the ACC marbles.

2012:
- And now the Rivers game. His coming-out party. I see no need to recount the details here.

(*I am constantly both honored and humbled that I was lucky enough to be present in Cameron for both of these games.)

Can any three- (or four- or two- or whatever) year period top that? What do yall think?

hurleyfor3
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
04-05-06 would be way up there.

Wander
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
04-05-06 would be way up there.

Ending with JJ's senior night loss and including a UNC national championship? Nah.

Starter
02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
If you want to extend it to four years, I started as a freshman in 1997-98, which had the best Duke-Carolina game I've seen, the comeback in Cameron. UNC won the other two that year big, but Duke won every other game against UNC in my 4 years with the exception of 2001 in Cameron, which was a great game in its own right. Then a couple weeks later, the game after Boozer broke his foot, Duke ran UNC out of Cameron with Casey Sanders and Duhon starting for the first time, probably the most satisfying Duke-UNC game for me.

Jderf
02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Ending with JJ's senior night loss and including a UNC national championship? Nah.

Well, to be fair here, while I would count the senior night loss for the purposes of this thread, I wouldn't count the championship. I'm mostly curious about the head-to-head series. (Then again, that's just me, and lord knows that the OP has no special rights to moderate a given thread.)

Gewebe14
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Any way you cut it, the ball has been mostly bouncing Duke's way ever since TBP Skyped (is "hubrissed" a word?) his way on over to roys welcoming arms!!!!

75Crazie
02-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Wait until this year is over before asking that question. We haven't seen the last of Carolina this year, by any means.

CLW
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Af first blush these appear to me to be the best 4 year stretches for the good guys:

1951-1954: Duke 8 UNC 1 (including 8 straight)

1961-1964: Duke 8 UNC 1 (7 straight)

1999 - 2002: Duke 10 UNC 1

hq2
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
In terms of intensity, 91-93 would be the best. Three year period when both teams won national championships, both made the final four in '91. Can't remember the rivalry ever being that intense. As I recall, they played each other about even during
that time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
In terms of intensity, 91-93 would be the best. Three year period when both teams won national championships, both made the final four in '91. Can't remember the rivalry ever being that intense. As I recall, they played each other about even during
that time.
If you want to talk about intense in a Duke-Carolina game, go back to the game when The Fight erupted.... an icy, cold February night outside and hot tempers inside when the game was played that night in Indoor Stadium.

Billy Dat
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Then a couple weeks later, the game after Boozer broke his foot, Duke ran UNC out of Cameron with Casey Sanders and Duhon starting for the first time, probably the most satisfying Duke-UNC game for me.

Starter - the game in question was at the Dean Dome, and I only correct you because that fact made it 100X sweeter. That was an incredibly satisfying game because, suddenly, we were back in the title hunt after most, myself included, thought the dream broke with Boozer's foot. Plus, they assumed they were going to kill us.

PSurprise
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Af first blush these appear to me to be the best 4 year stretches for the good guys:

1951-1954: Duke 8 UNC 1 (including 8 straight)

1961-1964: Duke 8 UNC 1 (7 straight)

1999 - 2002: Duke 10 UNC 1

Yeah, I thought that about the 1999-2002 years. I graduated in 2002 and I think we only lost to UNC once when I was there :cool: It was a good run

Starter
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Starter - the game in question was at the Dean Dome, and I only correct you because that fact made it 100X sweeter. That was an incredibly satisfying game because, suddenly, we were back in the title hunt after most, myself included, thought the dream broke with Boozer's foot. Plus, they assumed they were going to kill us.

My bad, Billy Dat. I went to both games, in Cameron and the Dome, just mistyped because I'm getting old. :o I could have floated on air back to campus after that game in Chapel Hill.

davekay1971
02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I thought that about the 1999-2002 years. I graduated in 2002 and I think we only lost to UNC once when I was there :cool: It was a good run

That stretch included one of my absolute favorite games in the rivalry - the 2001 ACC Championship game. UNC came into the tournament as the 1 seed, Duke as the 2 seed, with cocky Matty Doh at the helm. That game was the beginning of the wheels falling off his stewardship of the program. It was not a great game - it was a domination. Duke utterly and completely dominated UNC and the Tarheels gave up. They quit on their coach, to the point that Dickie V was calling them out for it during the broadcast. At that moment, the hint of challenge that Doh had presented was snuffed out and Duke's dominance over UNC was complete.

moonpie23
02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
are we TRYING To anger the schnaferuade godz or whatever?