PDA

View Full Version : Could Hendu's Foul Put a Chip on Duke's Shoulder?

Kewlswim
03-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi,

This thread has nothing to do with the probable suspension of G. There are plenty of people opining on that subject in other threads.

I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk. :mad: However, I really liked the intensity of the foul (not the result on the player). I think Hendu said with his actions, "We (Duke) might be in your house, but don't expect an easy two points." It was a message for the next time both teams might meet. We can argue about what resulted to TH, but I am asking about the affect on the team. Is it possible that the foul could light a fire under this young team?

What I am trying to say is this. I don't think Duke played with much of a chip on its shoulder this season. I think this event might be the catalyst to get the team to do so. Is this just way too pie in the sky and if the team hasn't played with a swaggar and a chip on its shoulder so far, it isn't going to now?

One could argue that playing with a chip on ones shoulder isn't a good way to play basketball. I just seems to me like those teams who play with one will themselves to victory while those who don't, well can't make a shot at the end of the game or get a defensive stop when they need to.

GO DUKE!

Troublemaker
03-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I disagree and believe Duke has played this season with its usual intensity/heart/desire/chippiness/cliche. Just because the shots weren't falling this season doesn't mean we were lacking in any of those intangibles. Our struggles this season are related to youth/skill/talent, that's all.

Bob Green
03-05-2007, 12:47 AM
I stated in a different thread that I expect Coach K & staff to use Henderson's suspension as a "rally cry" to motivate the team. I believe this whole incident could become a focal point for the post-season. The team needs to step-it-up and take it to the opposition.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

ehdg
03-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I think to a large degree our team usually played damn fine defensively and had a chip on their shoulder on the defensive side. IMO our problem this year is offensively we disappeared for long stretches during the games. In most games that we lost we went 4 minn. or more at times w/out scoring a basket. We did that again today in the first half. Our struggles for the most part have been offensive and we need to somehow find away to over come these long stretches of not scoring if we have any hopes or making a small run in the tourney.

ehdg

Kewlswim
03-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I do think Duke played awesome defense for much of the season. Maybe, just recently we have lost that defensive "chip." I love Duke and I love this team, though it is not my favorite team--yet. :)

GO DUKE!

hurleyfor3
03-05-2007, 01:33 AM
IMO our problem this year is offensively we disappeared for long stretches during the games. In most games that we lost we went 4 minn. or more at times w/out scoring a basket. We did that again today in the first half.

We have a word for that in chat. We call it a Nonslaught; i.e., the opposite of an onslaught.

KyDevilinIL
03-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Initially, I thought GH's suspension would fire up the team heading into the postseason. A wake-up call, so to speak.

A day later, though, I think the situation is the worst possible thing that could have happened. We've got an entire college basketball community exercising its worst anti-Duke tendencies right now, and it's not going to slow down. Normally I wouldn't care about stuff like that, but I think this team is somewhat sensitive to things like that.

GH's foul, intentional or not, is going to be a major distraction for the next three weeks, or however long we've got left to play. The media is going to pick us apart -- it's already happening, with Forde and Tudor and ESPN Radio -- and nothing good comes of that. Even if you're able to brush it off, you still hear it.

I like absolutely nothing about the situation we're in right now.

Kewlswim
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Initially, I thought GH's suspension would fire up the team heading into the postseason. A wake-up call, so to speak.

A day later, though, I think the situation is the worst possible thing that could have happened. We've got an entire college basketball community exercising its worst anti-Duke tendencies right now, and it's not going to slow down. Normally I wouldn't care about stuff like that, but I think this team is somewhat sensitive to things like that.

GH's foul, intentional or not, is going to be a major distraction for the next three weeks, or however long we've got left to play. The media is going to pick us apart -- it's already happening, with Forde and Tudor and ESPN Radio -- and nothing good comes of that. Even if you're able to brush it off, you still hear it.

I like absolutely nothing about the situation we're in right now.

Hi,

Sometimes the "us against the world" syndrome really bonds a team together. I know that one can say being a Dukie makes it "us against the world" no matter what, but not in this way. I know I look at the glass as half full. You might be very right and that nothing good came from this incident.:mad:

Back Duke or Back Off...WAYYYYYYYYYYY OFF:)

GO DUKE!

mgtr
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
I really, really like the description of Duke's offense as a "nonslaught." If ever a perfect word was coined, that is it.