PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams' presser

ClosetHurleyFan
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Handled the pressor about as well as you could hope

Opening comments:
"There's no question, the first thing that you have to do is to congratulate Duke. Congratulate Austin on a big-time game and a big-time shot that he made at the end. We had some opportunities. In the last three or four minutes, we had two turnovers and two or three missed free throws and they scored twice on second shots when we didn't secure the rebound. This one hurts. The kids really played and competed and did some very good things. Duke is awfully good. And I think we are awfully good. Tonight, I think at the same point, it was two great basketball programs, two big-time teams, and they made more plays the last three minutes than we did.

"We have been on the positive end of some games like this, and I don't remember many where we have been on the negative end. I love my team, I love the way they fought, and I loved the way we made plays. Harrison's ankle was really bothering him in the first half and he got in rhythm in the second half and he forgot about that. I thought ‘Z’ and John were really big. We just made some mistakes at the end. And that's the bottom line. We turned it over – Kendall’s little pass 40 feet out from the basket, Harrison got called for a charge – and we missed some free throws. We had been closing games pretty doggone well, but we didn't tonight. You just have to congratulate Duke, and Mike, and his staff."

On that next to last play, did Tyler tip in the ball?
“Yes.”

Have you ever seen anything like that before?
“No, but it’s North Carolina and Duke. I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Did you get the sense that your guys let their guard down in the final minutes?
“No, I don’t think so. Again, guys, it’s not just about us. North Carolina is not the only team that decided the outcome of the game. We tried to play, we tried to make plays, but we didn’t make them as successfully as we wanted to make. But it’s not just about North Carolina.”

How much good can you take from a game like this?
“The only good you can take from it is to become more determined. You ought to be ticked off. You ought to be flat-out ticked off and that’s the best language I can use. That you’re going to become more determined. If you start wallowing in the sorrow for yourself and feeling frickin’ sorry for yourself, you ought to just go home. My team better by God come back and decide they’re going to be better. We lost a game that we could have won. If we don’t learn something and come back and be more determined, then I’ve got the wrong group. And I don’t think I have the wrong group.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYLER ZELLER
Listen to Audio (9:00)

Can you explain what happened in those final three minutes that turned the tide?
“They hit the two big threes to bring it to four and then they got a little lucky on the one that I tipped in. Then those two free throws I missed just left the door open and Austin Rivers made a great shot.”

Did they change their approach on you in the second half?
“I think they changed a little. They tried to keep the ball out of my hands as much as possible. I’ve got to be more aggressive. I’ve got to try to get the ball more with the way I was playing.”

When you’re matched up with a smaller guy like Rivers, what do you try to do?
“I should have got up further – I didn’t want to foul him and put him on the free throw line. But at the same time, I still should have got up. You can’t give him a three

PADukeMom
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I am going to make a silly joke here mainly because I didn't sleep at al last night.

I agree Roy was a class act last night. It was nice to see he didn't have a problem with Duke's on court celebration.

It was also great to see that he kept his starters on the court for the entire game & not go into the locker room in anticipation of Duke's on-court after game celebration. :rolleyes:

Like I said...total lack of sleep.

TruBlu
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I have to agree. I watched his post-game comments and was pleased (and surprised) at the amount of class he showed.

Hats off!

ClosetHurleyFan
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I have to agree. I watched his post-game comments and was pleased (and surprised) at the amount of class he showed.

Hats off!

NOte Harrison Barnes post game comments too, he was very critical of himself and laid praise on Rivers....as a Carolina fan, I was enraged that we lost the game but thought at end of day it was a great game to add to a legendary series and thought both teams played hard and won and lost with poise, grace and sportsmanship.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Handled the pressor about as well as you could hope

Opening comments:
"...and we missed some free throws. We had been closing games pretty doggone well, but we didn't tonight. You just have to congratulate Duke, and Mike, and his staff."

In the Roy Williams press conference drinking game, when he says doggone/dadgummit, you must finish your drink.

devildeac
02-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Discussed this in Section 21 last PM and several other posters have mentioned it in the post-game thread and I think we pretty much all agree Roy was pretty gracious in his presser post-game. Didn't throw any of his guys under the bus, admitted they made some mistakes but gave Duke a TON of credit along with the rivalry. We did not HAVE to apologize for our on-court celebration but he even said K apologized for it but he thought it was quite accceptable considering the event/moment.

alteran
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
In the Roy Williams press conference drinking game, when he says doggone/dadgummit, you must finish your drink.

That's what I do. Unfortunately, I was drinking something with caffeine, so I ended up unable to go to sleep until 2 in the morning.

Lord Ash
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Agreed, felt the same way watching Roy. It was nice also that he really didn't do any bus-throwing-under, which he tends towards doing sometimes. Nice comments about the Duke kids celebrating.

killerleft
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
He WAS gracious, and it was nice to see him not throw any Tar Heels under the bus. But what I appreciated most was him calling the time-outs for K that we didn't have in the last minute-and-a-half!