PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - Stone Cold Assassin

moonpie23
02-09-2012, 01:06 AM
merge if you feel like it, but i thought it deserved it's own thread....

i think he's dreamed that shot most of his life........he's immortalized himself in a rivalry for the ages....

austin....thanks for coming to duke, and thanks for dreaming that shot....

Edouble
02-09-2012, 02:23 AM
merge if you feel like it, but i thought it deserved it's own thread....

i think he's dreamed that shot most of his life........he's immortalized himself in a rivalry for the ages....

austin....thanks for coming to duke, and thanks for dreaming that shot....

It was absolutely beautiful... "Jordanesque" if I may, to twist the knife. The joy that young man brought me tonight is almost immeasurable. Sublime!

Greg_Newton
02-09-2012, 02:32 AM
I can't even count how many times I reenacted the Laettner shot in my driveway growing up ("two [step right]... one [turnaround]...ERRRRR!")... I have a feeling a lot of kids will be doing the same for this one!

The main question is should we just retire Rivers' jersey now, or wait until the end of the season?

MulletMan
02-09-2012, 02:39 AM
The main question is should we just retire Rivers' jersey now, or wait until the end of the season?

OK... I'm as geeked as anyone, but are you serious? Hikery Dickorey Dock should tell you that it takes more tan a buzzer beater to get a jersey retired!

Greg_Newton
02-09-2012, 03:12 AM
I'll assume that's a vote for waiting until the season is over. I GUESS I can see where you're coming from...

:p

ArkieDukie
02-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I think our own Mr. Rivers moved himself into the Laettner and Redick realm of hated Duke players tonight. According to one of the linked stories, he said, "See y'all!" to the Carolina fans after he hit the shot. I love it!

moonpie23
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
his lore on IC has flourished.... :)

love it.....i hope this goes a long way to helping the team's confidence.

dukedoc
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Austin was amazing - even before his historic shot. He came out of the gate ready to play and really set the tone for the first 10+ minutes, which in my mind was a critical portion of the game for this Duke team that has had issues with starting slowly. Then the shot... wow.

My question: Austin has been "one of the leaders" undoubtedly throughout the year, but does this shot now make him "the" clear leader on the court irrespective of his offensive output on a given night? As recently as the Miami loss I think we've felt a leadership void - in terms of mental fortitude and morale - in close games or when we've been behind. Although he's a freshman, he is a Very Special freshman. Can he lead us into March? Mike DeCourcey suggested that Austin has singlehandedly changed the trajectory of our season - can he take that momentum and run with it?

dukeballboy88
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
He needs his own praise after all the underserving criticism as he has received on these boards. AR is an elite player that wants the ball in crunch time. He is the best 2 guard in the nation and ive said this from day one.

Thank you Austin for the memory, I appreciate what you do for us. You have already erased anything Kyrie did for me last year in that one game.

WT716
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
After what I consider to be a disappointing first half of the season, Rivers has stepped it up the past two games. Granted the first game came in a loss against Miami, he looked hungry. We all know what happened last night scoring 29 points and hitting the game winning shot. After last nights victory, does Duke have what it takes to win it all on April 2nd in New Orleans?

http://welcometothe716.com/2012/02/09/rivers-makes-his-mark-in-north-carolina/

Read the article and post your comments, all are welcome.

Go DUKE!!!!!

Wander
02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Remember - he also hit a clutch shot against FSU, the defense just gave up a quick three immediately after. As K said, he was built for this kind of stuff.

duke09hms
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
After what I consider to be a disappointing first half of the season, Rivers has stepped it up the past two games.

You have got to be kidding me. The kid is a freshman. Because we won last night, I'll say no more. Go DUKE!

WT716
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Kid is a freshman that was the best player in HS the previous season. Sorry I had big expectations for him and he had not met them until last night.

Devilsfan
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
He just moved up to J.J., Grant, and JKNZL Five Headed Monster (Jon-Kyle-Nolan-Zoubes-Lance) Status IMHO.

luvdahops
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Austin was amazing - even before his historic shot. He came out of the gate ready to play and really set the tone for the first 10+ minutes, which in my mind was a critical portion of the game for this Duke team that has had issues with starting slowly. Then the shot... wow.

My question: Austin has been "one of the leaders" undoubtedly throughout the year, but does this shot now make him "the" clear leader on the court irrespective of his offensive output on a given night? As recently as the Miami loss I think we've felt a leadership void - in terms of mental fortitude and morale - in close games or when we've been behind. Although he's a freshman, he is a Very Special freshman. Can he lead us into March? Mike DeCourcey suggested that Austin has singlehandedly changed the trajectory of our season - can he take that momentum and run with it?

He has, at a minimum, become our most important player. K clearly recognizes that, as Austin is averaging 35mpg in conference play - 5 more than anyone else - and has rarely sat at all in the last 5-6 games. The shot, along with the great effort overall tonight, may be what it took establish him as the clear leader among his teammates. He sure as hell was the clear leader last night.

RiverMeTimbers
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Lurker posting- don't think I stopped smiling once while reading this article.

Austin's First Miracle (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/16782/austins-first-miracle)

In fact, I don't think I've stopped smiling since yesterday at about 11pm.

superdave
02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Lurker posting- don't think I stopped smiling once while reading this article.

Austin's First Miracle (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/16782/austins-first-miracle)

In fact, I don't think I've stopped smiling since yesterday at about 11pm.

I enjoyed it except for the Plumlee angst. Shane Ryan can be good but he always sandbags at least one or two Duke players for some reason.

Li_Duke
02-09-2012, 02:17 PM
"As Rivers was mobbed by his teammates, forming a pile on the other end of the floor, Quinn Cook escaped from the bodies and strode over to the student section. He yanked his jersey forward by the shoulder straps, shoving it toward the students."

I love Quinn Cook!

1 24 90
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
"As Rivers was mobbed by his teammates, forming a pile on the other end of the floor, Quinn Cook escaped from the bodies and strode over to the student section. He yanked his jersey forward by the shoulder straps, shoving it toward the students."

I love Quinn Cook!

I love Quinn Cook too but I really hope Coach K reins in that behavior. I have never enjoyed the thrusting of the jersey to the fans of the other team. Just enjoy the win with your team. IMO

treborredneb
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
About last night, I think this sums it up well: "Chapel Hill: A. Rivers runs through it."

Lar77
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Austin Rivers has now made the list of most hated Dukies. You've got to love it. All season, the talking heads at ESPN have been asking who will be the man at Duke. This guy is a winner!

gep
02-09-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know about being the "leader", but definitely the go-to guy. I think Andre was at the top of the key, moving away from Austin. Seth was clearly in the TV frame motioning frantically for Austin to just "go". I think if my team captain tells me to "go", he shows confidence in me... so I "go".

The last seconds also had an interesting scenario to me, and I heard one pundit on ESPN today describe it. He called it an "NBA clear-out". Looking at that, once Zeller switched on Austin, it really looked like a clear-out was happening.

That pundit on ESPN also opined that Austin will not be returning to Duke next year. Why? Because Coach K is grooming Austin for the NBA. He asked (and I don't really know) "did Coach K EVER set up a clear-out for ANY player". Coach K has always set up his system to incorporate the whole team. But this time, it really looked like an NBA clear-out. I hope I'm not way off base on this... :confused:

AZLA
02-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know about being the "leader", but definitely the go-to guy. I think Andre was at the top of the key, moving away from Austin. Seth was clearly in the TV frame motioning frantically for Austin to just "go". I think if my team captain tells me to "go", he shows confidence in me... so I "go".

The last seconds also had an interesting scenario to me, and I heard one pundit on ESPN today describe it. He called it an "NBA clear-out". Looking at that, once Zeller switched on Austin, it really looked like a clear-out was happening.

That pundit on ESPN also opined that Austin will not be returning to Duke next year. Why? Because Coach K is grooming Austin for the NBA. He asked (and I don't really know) "did Coach K EVER set up a clear-out for ANY player". Coach K has always set up his system to incorporate the whole team. But this time, it really looked like an NBA clear-out. I hope I'm not way off base on this... :confused:

Actually, during the middle of the game, when Duke was going cold and there was little conversation on the floor, I noticed Rivers was the only one who seemed to be communicating, guiding teammates. Caught myself thinking -- the freshman is leading out there! Bookend that with his "story book" finish and yah, I think he's definitely earned the respect of being one of the floor leaders going forward.

Starter
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Well... Langdon against Connecticut, right? It didn't work out as well, of course.

Wander
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

This is idiotic (referring to the pundit, not you). The play with Rivers gave Duke - Duke, the team, not Duke, the manifestation of Rivers' NBA prospects - the best chance to win the game. So why not do it? He was by far our best player last night, he had the opposing center guarding him on the perimeter, and we had no time-outs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Rivers is returning - but this isn't a piece of evidence for or against it. Not even close.

superdave
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
You know how Coach K said guys on the team were not differentiating themselves and it was leading to lineup changes and a longer bench?

Well, Austin's minutes from the Wake game through last night have ranged from 32 to 43 and his points from 10 to 29. During that stretch he has averaged over 37 minutes and over 18 points and 5 boards a game. He has shot 45-92 on FGs, 17-38 on 3s.

Channing
02-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Who do we need to speak to about having the pep band learn River of Dreams by Billy Joel?

Lar77
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

I've looked at the play again and again and it seems a perfect set up but not for an NBA clear out (Bullock kind of blew the defensive assignment; if he stays with Rivers, it's a different play). Look at the possible scenarios after the pick by Plumlee:

1.Rivers goes left, Barnes comes over to cut off (he's kind of late reacting to Dawkins), Pass to Dawkins (standing at Manteo, but a straight on shot)
2.Rivers goes right, Marshall has to hedge away from Curry, who has a clear shot from the side (with possible screen from Kelly)
3.Bullock doesn't follow Plumlee, Plumlee is now wide open on the weak side for a lob (I think Kelly's fade towards the base line was intended to draw Henson over, but it didn't work or Henson covers Plumlee and Kelly is wide open)
4.Zeller backs off, because of Rivers driving ability and he doesn't know what is going on behind him, leaving Rivers wide open for a 3

It is clear that with 3 seconds to play, Rivers saw it was option 4 and he took it.

Can't blame Zeller. How many times has this board criticized our inside men (Plumlees, Kelly, Zoubek) for guarding guys 23 feet out

gep
02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
This is idiotic (referring to the pundit, not you). The play with Rivers gave Duke - Duke, the team, not Duke, the manifestation of Rivers' NBA prospects - the best chance to win the game. So why not do it? He was by far our best player last night, he had the opposing center guarding him on the perimeter, and we had no time-outs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Rivers is returning - but this isn't a piece of evidence for or against it. Not even close.

Wander... I understand.

I've looked at the play again and again and it seems a perfect set up but not for an NBA clear out (Bullock kind of blew the defensive assignment; if he stays with Rivers, it's a different play). Look at the possible scenarios after the pick by Plumlee:

1.Rivers goes left, Barnes comes over to cut off (he's kind of late reacting to Dawkins), Pass to Dawkins (standing at Manteo, but a straight on shot)
2.Rivers goes right, Marshall has to hedge away from Curry, who has a clear shot from the side (with possible screen from Kelly)
3.Bullock doesn't follow Plumlee, Plumlee is now wide open on the weak side for a lob (I think Kelly's fade towards the base line was intended to draw Henson over, but it didn't work or Henson covers Plumlee and Kelly is wide open)
4.Zeller backs off, because of Rivers driving ability and he doesn't know what is going on behind him, leaving Rivers wide open for a 3

It is clear that with 3 seconds to play, Rivers saw it was option 4 and he took it.

Can't blame Zeller. How many times has this board criticized our inside men (Plumlees, Kelly, Zoubek) for guarding guys 23 feet out

I'm not a basketball expert, by any means... and it just appeared that Austin was "isolated"(?). But as Lar77 explains, the floor was perfectly set up by the Duke *team*...

toooskies
02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
It's kind of amazing how many people may watch this Duke team every game and not see the inherent strengths Austin has.

1) He's quick enough to get a distinct advantage when driving the lane against pretty much anyone who guards him. He got the best of Barnes many times in the first half. He doesn't always know how he's going to finish, and he might need to slow down once he has a step on his man, but getting that penetration makes good things happen.

2) He's most comfortable shooting the 3 when he's had the ball in his hands and in triple-threat position. Often he'll bait a player with a jab step to make them respect the drive. He knows exactly how much space he needs to get his shot off, and he gets it off quickly from a high release point.

These are skills that we don't often see in Duke basketball players (or any basketball players, really) and they are very much "NBA" moves, in that these moves work at the NBA level. That doesn't preclude them from also working very well at the college level, where Duke has done an outstanding job in developing them.

It's not to the team's advantage to ignore the fact that he has these skills, or that he is fairly efficient with them. In fact, it would be pretty selfish for Austin to work on other aspects of his game and not use those talents to help Duke win basketball games. But on the other hand, he's not a "ball stopper." He doesn't hold the ball sizing up his man on every possession like NBA stars (and star wanna-bes) do.

But don't be fooled, he has one-on-one NBA skills. He's learning to play D, he's turning up his rebounding. If Duke didn't have so many offensive weapons, he might have lived up to the scoring average hype, but he has definitely used his talents very effectively at this level, in the context of the team rather than as an individual. I'm very happy with how he's played and how he has elevated his game of late, and not just because he had a better-than-average game against UNC.

One of my first instincts after the game, though, was that his full NBA potential was on display. He beat Barnes off the dribble, he shot over taller players with success, and he earned a somewhat obvious but now deserved nickname. Stone Cold Austin indeed...

Verga3
02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
One if by land.
Two if by sea.
Three if by Rivers.

UrinalCake
02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
In his post game presser Rivers himself said the play was drawn up for rivers to drive and then kick out to Dawkin. Things broke down, as they often do, and Rivers showed great maturity in reading the defense and taking the best option.

Also credit Dawkins for how he congratulated Rivers afterwards. I'm sure he wanted the chance to be the hero himself.

gep
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Also credit Dawkins for how he congratulated Rivers afterwards. I'm sure he wanted the chance to be the hero himself.

I thought that too. But after watching replay after replay :cool: I think Andre was "good" with Austin taking that last shot. When Andre crossed half court getting to the top of the key before turning right, Andre came running up to the top of the key with his hands up, ready for a pass for the last shot. But as soon as Austin sized up Zeller and Seth motioned for Austin to "go", Andre seemed to back off, and wait for the shot to fall. Then, as you say, he was the first one to Andre, and his smile was amazing...

COYS
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I thought that too. But after watching replay after replay :cool: I think Andre was "good" with Austin taking that last shot. When Andre crossed half court getting to the top of the key before turning right, Andre came running up to the top of the key with his hands up, ready for a pass for the last shot. But as soon as Austin sized up Zeller and Seth motioned for Austin to "go", Andre seemed to back off, and wait for the shot to fall. Then, as you say, he was the first one to Andre, and his smile was amazing...

Plus, the play was drawn up, Andre was supposed to get the ball in a catch and shoot situation, where Andre is probably our deadliest shooter. Given that Andre wasn't in a good spot to catch and shoot and would have had to shoot off the dribble, it makes way more sense for Austin to take the shot off the dribble, where he is a bit more advanced than Andre.

Honestly, it was brilliant coaching by the staff. They set up a simple play with the best ball-handler and shot creator handling the ball. A simple pick n' roll at the top of the key messed up the UNC defense a bit. Andre moving through screens to possibly get open at the top of the key for a catch n' shoot opportunity played to Andre's strength. Seth was available in the corner if Austin had an angle to drive and then kick to Seth, which also puts Seth in a position to utilize his greatest strength. Finally, Austin had the ball in his hands, which is where he feels most comfortable, to either create for himself or someone else off the bounce. It seems so simple, but the staff made sure everyone on the court was playing their most natural role for the final play. Better yet, the play had four different options for the last shot (Andre open at the top of the key, Austin drive to the basket and score/foul, Austin drive and kick to Seth in the corner, or Austin take the three himself) meaning the players could adjust on the fly if the primary or secondary options weren't available. It's never guaranteed to work, of course, but making the play as simple and natural as possible went a long way toward giving Duke the best chance to win or tie.

Kedsy
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Honestly, it was brilliant coaching by the staff. They set up a simple play with the best ball-handler and shot creator handling the ball. A simple pick n' roll at the top of the key messed up the UNC defense a bit. Andre moving through screens to possibly get open at the top of the key for a catch n' shoot opportunity played to Andre's strength. Seth was available in the corner if Austin had an angle to drive and then kick to Seth, which also puts Seth in a position to utilize his greatest strength. Finally, Austin had the ball in his hands, which is where he feels most comfortable, to either create for himself or someone else off the bounce. It seems so simple, but the staff made sure everyone on the court was playing their most natural role for the final play. Better yet, the play had four different options for the last shot (Andre open at the top of the key, Austin drive to the basket and score/foul, Austin drive and kick to Seth in the corner, or Austin take the three himself) meaning the players could adjust on the fly if the primary or secondary options weren't available. It's never guaranteed to work, of course, but making the play as simple and natural as possible went a long way toward giving Duke the best chance to win or tie.

I agree. I would add that this could be our offense on almost every play (if you add Mason rolling to the rim and Ryan getting open if/when his defender helps on Mason), although I would probably mix it with some down low inside/out stuff with Mason, to keep the opposing D honest. This is why I don't believe we need a "true" PG running the show and why I think the Austin/Seth/Andre perimeter is our best perimeter (well, that plus the fact it gives us our best size on D).

COYS
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I agree. I would add that this could be our offense on almost every play (if you add Mason rolling to the rim and Ryan getting open if/when his defender helps on Mason), although I would probably mix it with some down low inside/out stuff with Mason, to keep the opposing D honest. This is why I don't believe we need a "true" PG running the show and why I think the Austin/Seth/Andre perimeter is our best perimeter (well, that plus the fact it gives us our best size on D).

Count me as one who agrees with you on this, Kedsy. I think Thornton and Quinn will continue to provide important minutes, but right now Duke sports the best offense in the land according to Kenpom and the 102nd defense. Tyler brings an intensity to the defensive end that no one else on the team brings consistently, but at the end of the day the overall team defense has not been better. That being the case, why not go with the most potent offensive team? Austin seems to be really getting into the flow of late, just as many of us suspected he might by this point in the season. Meanwhile, Andre and Seth are both threats to go off for 20 points in any given game, with Curry being more consistent. If our defense is going to be only marginally different depending who is in the game, I have no problem going with the philosophy that we are going to need to out-gun our opponents. I also think Austin is best helping the defense when he's stopping opposing 2 guards and point guards from penetrating rather than trying to contain bigger, stronger 3's (even though he did a good job when he was matched up with Barnes). His defense was great in the UNC game and I think it would be awesome if the stone cold assassin monicker applied to both ends of the floor every night.

That being said, I hope the defense improves enough that it becomes less of a liability.

NSDukeFan
02-10-2012, 08:13 PM
It's kind of amazing how many people may watch this Duke team every game and not see the inherent strengths Austin has.

1) He's quick enough to get a distinct advantage when driving the lane against pretty much anyone who guards him. He got the best of Barnes many times in the first half. He doesn't always know how he's going to finish, and he might need to slow down once he has a step on his man, but getting that penetration makes good things happen.

2) He's most comfortable shooting the 3 when he's had the ball in his hands and in triple-threat position. Often he'll bait a player with a jab step to make them respect the drive. He knows exactly how much space he needs to get his shot off, and he gets it off quickly from a high release point.

These are skills that we don't often see in Duke basketball players (or any basketball players, really) and they are very much "NBA" moves, in that these moves work at the NBA level. That doesn't preclude them from also working very well at the college level, where Duke has done an outstanding job in developing them.

It's not to the team's advantage to ignore the fact that he has these skills, or that he is fairly efficient with them. In fact, it would be pretty selfish for Austin to work on other aspects of his game and not use those talents to help Duke win basketball games. But on the other hand, he's not a "ball stopper." He doesn't hold the ball sizing up his man on every possession like NBA stars (and star wanna-bes) do.

But don't be fooled, he has one-on-one NBA skills. He's learning to play D, he's turning up his rebounding. If Duke didn't have so many offensive weapons, he might have lived up to the scoring average hype, but he has definitely used his talents very effectively at this level, in the context of the team rather than as an individual. I'm very happy with how he's played and how he has elevated his game of late, and not just because he had a better-than-average game against UNC.

One of my first instincts after the game, though, was that his full NBA potential was on display. He beat Barnes off the dribble, he shot over taller players with success, and he earned a somewhat obvious but now deserved nickname. Stone Cold Austin indeed...

The other thing I really enjoyed in that game was that Austin pulled up from 8-10 feet at least three times that I can remember. He missed 2 from straight on and banked one in from the side. I thought he pushed them more than shot them, but if he can hit that shot consistently, it's all over for anyone trying to contain him.

buddy
02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
It's obvious that AR can get to the hole anytime he wants. I was fortunate enough to go to China with the team. His game has improved immensely. While he demonstrated his ability to drive in China, he did not have good decision making. He would put his head down and often find himself lost in traffic. In that regard he has matured immensely. He is less selfish, more willing to pull up, and can dish. Last night demonstrated a new found maturity. What we are seeing is a very talented individual who is learning every game. I think some people expected him to be Kyrie, which was a disservice to AR. This team needs a go to guy, and while I think AR wanted that role all along, he is now showing that he can fill it.

devildeac
02-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Our son reminded several Duke family members of this a couple hours ago:

Seven years ago today. Never forget.

Now, back to your current programming/threads.

:D:D

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2019, 10:50 AM

must spread sporks etc...
Gorgeous memory, we should all remember it every day!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2019, 10:59 AM

I remember very clearly where I was.

Thanks!

UrinalCake
02-08-2019, 12:22 PM

wilson
02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
This right here is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1af8KnM0_c

DukieInKansas
02-08-2019, 12:39 PM

A reminder of this came up on my Facebook feed this am. It was a good day.

DukieInKansas
02-08-2019, 12:44 PM

I really wish they had gotten another picture of the young lady in the Duke shirt among the tar heel fans in the bar after that Austin Rivers shot.

killerleft
02-08-2019, 12:59 PM
The audacity of Austin Rivers! No chance for a rebound, just make the shot, no problem. One of my all-time favorite games, for sure.

UrinalCake
02-08-2019, 01:22 PM

While we’re on the subject, might as well repost this classic:

https://youtu.be/q90gWwtvmbk

KD20
02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I was in grad school at UNC at that time. My friend & I waited in the student section line for three hours, suffering all manner of swearing/death directed at us in our Duke gear (undergrad class of '07). Watching that shot go in made it worth it all.

Here's a shot from our seats in the UNC student section from earlier that day. Was yelling too much at the end to remember to take another. But will treasure this picture for the memory.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-08-2019, 03:44 PM
No way we shoulda won that game. Badly outplayed most of the way......that's kinda what makes is SUH-WEETER!!!

Beating the Cheats in the Myth Center? Priceless
Losing to them in Cameron? Most awful feeling of all.

It's why I kinda prefer the games at Chapel College....

kako
02-08-2019, 06:50 PM
No way we shoulda won that game. Badly outplayed most of the way...that's kinda what makes is SUH-WEETER!!!

Duke under K never gives up. Sometimes they don't make it all the way back (for example, Gongaza this year). But sometimes they do.

IMO this is the definitive win in the series of all time. The only buzzer beater, totally stealing the win. Better than 8 points in 17 seconds, because that game wasn't over in regulation. Better than the Capel shot, of course since Duke lost. Better than Banks over Perkins, because that went to OT as well. Others can disagree, but I think the only win that would ever be bigger is a buzzer beater in the ACC tourney final, or a win in the NCAAs.

Say what you want about Rivers, but in my mind he's always going to be one of the all-time Duke greats because of this shot.

9F

HereBeforeCoachK
02-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Duke under K never gives up. Sometimes they don't make it all the way back (for example, Gongaza this year). But sometimes they do.

IMO this is the definitive win in the series of all time. The only buzzer beater, totally stealing the win. Better than 8 points in 17 seconds, because that game wasn't over in regulation. Better than the Capel shot, of course since Duke lost. Better than Banks over Perkins, because that went to OT as well. Others can disagree, but I think the only win that would ever be bigger is a buzzer beater in the ACC tourney final, or a win in the NCAAs.

Say what you want about Rivers, but in my mind he's always going to be one of the all-time Duke greats because of this shot.

9F

Are you putting River's shot over Laettner's????????????

CameronBlue
02-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Are you putting River's shot over Laettner's????????????

He was referring to the series with the Cheats. But unfortunately he is still incorrect. Banks. Nuff said.

DukeHLM'13
02-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Was watching the game at a house just off East Campus. 2 things I'll never forget...

1) Everyone at the house just screaming at each other for what seemed like 3 minutes when the shot went in. No words, just pure joy/excitement.

2) Heading to campus when we heard the freshmen were burning benches. Didn't last very long before the fire department arrived, but pretty cool!!!

75Crazie
02-08-2019, 10:39 PM
IMO this is the definitive win in the series of all time. The only buzzer beater, totally stealing the win.
Robbie West, anybody? A decidedly mediocre '72 Duke team beating the #3 Heels who had McAdoo, Wuycik, Chamberlain, Karl, and Bobby Jones? Of course, that was at newly-named Cameron, and there is something to be said about beating those swine on their own floor … but that '72 buzzer beater still has a spot in my heart that will never be topped.

Bluedog
02-08-2019, 11:29 PM
Robbie West, anybody? A decidedly mediocre '72 Duke team beating the #3 Heels who had McAdoo, Wuycik, Chamberlain, Karl, and Bobby Jones? Of course, that was at newly-named Cameron, and there is something to be said about beating those swine on their own floor … but that '72 buzzer beater still has a spot in my heart that will never be topped.

While great, it wasn’t a buzzer beater. West’s shot went through with 3 seconds to go.

Steven43
02-09-2019, 03:23 AM

This is possibly the greatest video I’ve ever seen.

arnie
02-09-2019, 07:24 AM
This is possibly the greatest video I’ve ever seen.

It doesn’t get any better than this - I’m appalled😀

75Crazie
02-09-2019, 08:11 AM
While great, it wasn’t a buzzer beater. West’s shot went through with 3 seconds to go.
In my memory, it will always be a buzzer beater.

Green Wave Dukie
02-09-2019, 10:05 AM

One thing I never understood about this video (as much as I did totally enjoy it). Was it really produced by the Daily Tar Heel?

I get that they planned to do it, that they shot all the video in 8 different bars/restaurants, dorms and the like thinking it would be an epic video about a great game (which, obviously it turned out to be, but surely not in the manner they imagined). But once the game ended how it ended, why on earth did they ever finish and publish it? They even interviewed cheat fans after the game.

Or, am I totally missing something? (would be the first time today, but admittedly, I've only been up for 3 hours) Or, was it an inside by some Duke mastermind? If it really was produced by the Tar Heels, how or why did they ever let it get out?

UrinalCake
02-09-2019, 10:22 AM
I think the win in 2016 was more impressive as a whole, Matt Jones got injured and we went iron man for the whole second half. MP3 picked up his fourth foul with 10 minutes left but still managed to shut down Brice Johnson. Like the Rivers game, we were down the whole game but never let them fully pull away until we made a late run.

The Rivers game had the most dramatic finish, but we’ve had several improbable wins in the series lately. The one in Cameron where Nolan and Seth went off was awesome too.

DevilHorse
02-09-2019, 10:40 AM
He was referring to the series with the Cheats. But unfortunately he is still incorrect. Banks. Nuff said.

What I remember about Bank's shot was that it was a two parter.

There were only a couple of seconds left to go the length of the court. I think it was Tommy Emma through a bullet pass to Chip Engelland who caught the ball in his gut and called timeout in one swift motion. Fractions of a second off the clock. Then came the pass to tinkerbell to the top of the key (and the rainbow to the pot of gold).

I could be wrong, but I believe that Jordan did not play in that game (sick or something).

Was this the game where Dean gave Engelland a hip check as Chip walked to the bench??

Larry
DevilHorse

75Crazie
02-09-2019, 11:22 AM
One thing I never understood about this video (as much as I did totally enjoy it). Was it really produced by the Daily Tar Heel?

I get that they planned to do it, that they shot all the video in 8 different bars/restaurants, dorms and the like thinking it would be an epic video about a great game (which, obviously it turned out to be, but surely not in the manner they imagined). But once the game ended how it ended, why on earth did they ever finish and publish it? They even interviewed cheat fans after the game.

Or, am I totally missing something? (would be the first time today, but admittedly, I've only been up for 3 hours) Or, was it an inside by some Duke mastermind? If it really was produced by the Tar Heels, how or why did they ever let it get out?
As I recall, the Daily Tar Heel was one of very, very few news outlets to publish views on the academic cheating at uNC once it became known. It appears to be one (maybe the only one) department at that benighted institution that showed any signs at all of integrity.

tbyers11
02-09-2019, 11:32 AM
What I remember about Bank's shot was that it was a two parter.

There were only a couple of seconds left to go the length of the court. I think it was Tommy Emma through a bullet pass to Chip Engelland who caught the ball in his gut and called timeout in one swift motion. Fractions of a second off the clock. Then came the pass to tinkerbell to the top of the key (and the rainbow to the pot of gold).

I could be wrong, but I believe that Jordan did not play in that game (sick or something).

Was this the game where Dean gave Engelland a hip check as Chip walked to the bench??

Larry
DevilHorse

Michael Jordan didn't play in the UNC game where Gene Banks hit the shot because he was still a HS senior.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Was the ACC's mickey mouse 3 point line in effect then? I know the NCAA didn't adopt until 5-6 years later.