02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
awesome

lotusland
02-08-2012, 11:16 PM
We're great They suck!

Turning point baby!!!!!

davekay1971
Oh my GOD oh my God oh my God oh my God!

Oh my God!

Holy (edit) OH MY GOD!

Gthoma2a
Oh my god! That was amazing. They just answered my questions. They have learned. They do not fold. This team has the pride I was starting to feel wasn't there for a while during this game. AMAZING!!!

roywhite
hahahahahaha....

Take that, you low-life Tar Heels!!!

zack2014
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
That shot is Legend.... wait for it ....dary

Channing
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a theft.

FerryFor50
Wow.

Awesome.

Tarholes are going to say the refs gave us that one. But you know what? I don't care. SCOREBOARD.

J4Kop99
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Un-be-liev-able

I think I said that Duke cannot win if they are going to live and die by the three about 3 or 4 times in the game thread... looks like I deserve a few more of those flames.

--Tremendous end to the game. Duke stole this one right out of Carolina's hands. Austin was incredible.

Buckeye Devil
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
This ranks right up there with the Duke comeback over Maryland in 2001.

Duke never gave up. I don't believe it but I love the looks on the 'Hole fans, players, and Ol' Roy!

wandalee
02-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Zeller - you let the whole team down!

Kfanarmy
that was Duke guts that I'm used to!

I want to call out anyone who was whining about effort in that game....step up and apologize!~

CLW
WOW!

Austin Rivers has arrived and is the CLEAR leader of this team. The defense is still CLEARLY LACKING but they can score with anyone.

Philsfan
Rolling on the river(s)!!!!!!!!!!

HoganLake
You have no idea how happy I am right now!

FerryFor50
Oh and Duke has a leader now. And his name is Austin.

BlueandWhite

Duke never gave up. I don't believe it but I love the looks on the 'Hole fans, players, and Ol' Roy!

...that this one isn't over yet (with around 4 minutes to go).

AWESOME!!!!!!

lotusland
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM

I want a picture of Huck squatting after that shot for mt avatar!!!

Buzzy Duke
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Um. That was insane!!!!!

WOW.

Stone cold Austin!!!!!

dairedevil
02-08-2012, 11:21 PM
If all I knew about the game was from reading the comments on the in-game thread....I wouldn't think that a Duke victory would be possible. Whatever flaws this team may have, they showed a lot of tenacity and heart tonight. I was half expecting a blowout in Chapel Hill, was so proud of the strong start to the game, and that they didn't give up when UNC made their run, and were able to keep it close enough to pull out the victory in the last second.

Wow...GTHC!!

sporthenry
Last time I can think of Duke stealing a game like that. That should get all the fans who were a bit disinterested like myself interested in the season. AR's coming out party. I expect a season like Barnes last year to take off from here on out.

DesertDevil

I think we might have some idea. :D

COYS
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That is all the analysis you'll get from me for tonight!!!!!!!!

moonpie23
austin duhon'd em.....

mgtr
I wasn't giving up on this team, but I sure was getting discouraged. This makes up for any and all losses! Very good, very good indeed.

downtowndevil
I watched every second, and I still have no idea how we came back!

It's all a blur. LOVE the reactions of the bench and staff (including K!) on the replay. Let this be the catalyst making the season FUN again for these kids and their coaches. I'm sure while sticking together, as Austin said they were after the game, that it's been frustrating. this will make up for it!

BlueHeaven
I think we have another one. Wow.

southgater
02-08-2012, 11:23 PM
The giants win the pennant! The giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

lotusland
that was Duke guts that I'm used to!

I want to call out anyone who was whining about effort in that game....step up and apologize!~

There are quite a few nattering naybobs of negativity from the game thread who should be stepping forward but nevermind them. I can't wait for ESPN3 to cue up the replay!

azzefkram
Just an outstanding win. Down 10 with less than 3 to go and they gutted out the win.

MartyClark
Unbelievable. I am simultaneously communicating with my son in Bulgaria, Duke fan, his best friend, N.C. fan attending the game, and my daughter and her friends, Duke fans at a bar in Denver. Life is really good tonight. Austin is the man.

mike88
02-08-2012, 11:24 PM
my favorite win at the Smith Center since Duhon beat them with the reverse layup. Great that our guys hung in there when they went down 10- a few stops and our threes got us back in it - huge props to Austin

Chicken Little
Wow.

Awesome.

Tarholes are going to say the refs gave us that one. But you know what? I don't care. SCOREBOARD.

Me neither. Especially after the Barnes "school of Jordan" forearm.

GTHC!

Mr.Analogy

Oh yes I do. And you best believe the tarholes better hide from me tomorrow because all I will say all day long is.....AUSTIN RIVERS.

Devilsfan
Zeller to the rescue! He missed a free throw in crunch time, puts in Kelly's shot, and doesn't use his 7' to block Austin's shot. My MVp vote goes to Tyler!

sagegrouse
02-08-2012, 11:25 PM
How did we even get into this game after we were left for dead?

Actually played some good D at the end, but it was really the offensive productivity and the rebounding of Mason Plumlee.

Key plays:

Three by Tyler

Three by Seth (after five steps)

RB and deuce by Ryan.

Courtesy tip-in by Zeller (shouldn't that have been a three?)

Game-winning bomb over the announcer-anointed ACC POY.

sagegrouse

Channing

I think we have an idea:D:D:D:D:

Whatever. Barnes was offensive fouling all game. Take the calls when you get them.

Greg_Newton
Legendary. The unlikeliest comeback and greatest finish to a Duke/UNV game ever. Austin Rivers has officially cemented himself as a legend, they'll be talking about/replaying this one FOREVER.

I don't even want to bring up what this could mean for our team, but WOW! I was so miserable for the entire 40 minutes of regulation, tip-to-buzzer... what a great, great, great night.

MulletMan
02-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Mmmmm hmmmm.

Have a little faith gang. I'm not saying I knew we'd win this game, but man... It was fun rooting for our guys the whole time instead of vilifying them.

D U K E!

Orange&BlackSheep
02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
This almost makes up for 8 pts in 17 seconds, right?

I can't think of a Carolina loss with so much WTF for them to absorb. Zeller taps in a missed three for them then goes 2 for 4 from the line to give Duke the three to win. Curry's travel before burying the three. This game is going to sting for a while.

GTHC

hotbutteredseoul
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Acymetric
Last time I can think of Duke stealing a game like that. That should get all the fans who were a bit disinterested like myself interested in the season. AR's coming out party. I expect a season like Barnes last year to take off from here on out.

Well there was earlier this season...

Before this the game that comes to mind is VT at home with Sean Dockery hitting the buzzer beater...I have to get up for work in less than 5 hours but no way I can get to sleep now!

lotusland
Zeller to the rescue! He missed a free throw in crunch time, puts in Kelly's shot, and doesn't use his 7' to block Austin's shot. My MVp vote goes to Tyler!

Zeller didn't finish really strong but Cmon he had a monster game.

Delmer
Wow just wow> Congrats

Zeke
Somebody tell me again how these kids don't try - I want to hear it again.

FerryFor50
02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Roy Williams has only one regret - that he couldn't leave the court early with his starters before Rivers hit that shot.

Chicken Little
02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
And of course, had to check the IC board. A few of the top threads right now:

"Rivers travels on every touch"

"REFS!"

"Merry Xmas from Z"

and my favorite...

"Dean would not have allowed that to happen"

FerryFor50
02-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Legendary. The unlikeliest comeback and greatest finish to a Duke/UNV game ever. Austin Rivers has officially cemented himself as a legend, they'll be talking about/replaying this one FOREVER.

I don't even want to bring up what this could mean for our team, but WOW! I was so miserable for the entire 40 minutes of regulation, tip-to-buzzer... what a great, great, great night.

I went from annoyed to resigned to hopeful to WTF!!!!!

GLTBD
OMG what a game I can't believe it.

lmb
I was very concerned that we weren't going inside enough, but man was it nice to win on that three!!!

ONIONS!

Rivers is now officially the go-to guy.

J4Kop99
02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
I know I'm nitpicking here, but imagine if that happened in CIS...

Chris Randolph
02-08-2012, 11:31 PM
That was one of the craziest endings I've ever seen. Luckily they didn't call a travel on Curry (plenty of missed calls both ways all game so who cares, righ?t!) and Zeller helped us out with a tip-in.

What a shot, what a comeback. Hopefully our team learns from this game and takes the confidence from it and BUILDS ON IT!!!!!! Unreal. Now Carolina can know the feeling of missing free throws down the stretch, haha

hq2
In 45 years, I can't think of a better Duke comeback against Carolina. (Anyone else
remember a better one?) A sweet one indeed! And a perfect ending! Thank you,
Tyler Zeller!

FerryFor50

No, it's better that happened in the Dean Dome.

1) Shuts the Tarholes up
2) Prevents the fans from rushing the court and possibly injuring the UNC starters

uh_no

court=stormed...but recall, we had a decent comeback from a halftime deficit last year...loudest i ever heard in cameron....can't imagine what this would have been

DesertDevil
Watching Roy presser. He looks like he wants to cry.......PRICELESS!!!

freedevil
This is my joy laugh:

HAHAHAHA!

wgl1228
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't believe what I just saw! -Jack Buck-

hudlow
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
...and save matches!

Buckeye Devil
02-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Watching Erin Andrews interview Doc Rivers. She needs to bleach her hair-the roots are really showing.

Watching Ol' Roy - he looks like he is really whipped. But he is being a gentleman about it and not paying any attention to Duke's celebration after the game on their floor. You gotta tip your hat to him on this one.

Utley
02-08-2012, 11:34 PM
So proud of this team. Just goes to show that all teams are a work in progress. A lot of tenacity tonight and a whole lot of chutzpah from one Austin Rivers. Thanks guys - I needed this one.

lotusland
In 45 years, I can't think of a better Duke comeback against Carolina. (Anyone else
remember a better one?) A sweet one indeed! And a perfect ending! Thank you,
Tyler Zeller!

Maybe if we had won in OT after the Capel shot during the season that shall not be mentioned but nah this was still better

jkidd31
First off....WOW!!!!!! I'm horse.

Second...I thought UNC was a basket away from blowing us out of the gym.

Third...It was great to see the team not give up and pull this out.

Can I say WOW again???????

Channing
02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Austin Rivers ... welcome to the national spotlight!!!!! Wow - so much for the "no superstars" on Duke...WOW!!!!

Saratoga2
02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
UNC pulled an end of game stumble, not Duke this time. UNC did a great job with offensive rebounds and controlled the inside. Zeller was really effective inside and Henson added his. UNC played their game well, but Duke played to its strength and hit enough 3 pointers to win this game. I liked the fact that the guys played 40 minutes tonight. Great job, no attempt to analyze the game further. Austin is quickly becoming a superstar.

Wildling
02-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm speechless.

I can't stop laughing either!

Ole Roy's face at the end of the game was priceless! lol!

Kfanarmy
I want a picture of Huck squatting after that shot for mt avatar!!! Thought his post game comments were gracious

jipops
We had no business winning this game. We were dominated.

But I'll take the win over the NBA team in Chapel Hill.

uh_no
UNC pulled an end of game stumble, not Duke this time. UNC did a great job with offensive rebounds and controlled the inside. Zeller was really effective inside and Henson added his. UNC played their game well, but Duke played to its strength and hit enough 3 pointers to win this game. I liked the fact that the guys played 40 minutes tonight. Great job, no attempt to analyze the game further. Austin is quickly becoming a superstar.

the first 5 minutes of the first half....not sure....but thats where they got their 10 point lead that was pretty consistent until we came back at the end

but i think we came out a little sloppy thinking maybe we'd start half #2 like we started the game?

grounds0405
I played a lot of mortal kombat in my day, and I used Subzero a lot. But that was the coolest fatality I've ever seen!!!!

GTHC!!!

DesertDevil
Watching Erin Andrews interview Doc Rivers. She needs to bleach her hair-the roots are really showing.

Watching Ol' Roy - he looks like he is really whipped. But he is being a gentleman about it and not paying any attention to Duke's celebration after the game on their floor. You gotta tip your hat to him on this one.

Let me get this straight. You were watching Erin Andrews & focused on her hair roots? :D

Mr.Analogy
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Imagine what could have happened if our bigs would have shown up! lol.

Just playin', over look me.....I'm high off this win..........ahhhhhhhhhhh

To beat the holes at home, especially like this, a major come back, is beyond words.

jipops
Thought his post game comments were gracious

I feel a Chris Rock reference coming on.

G man
How did that just happen? Best birthday ever!!!

Buckeye Devil
Everyone is giving Tyler Zoeller too much credit (or blame) for the Duke victory. Are you kidding me? UNC is not ahead of Duke at the end if it is not for him. Yes he missed a free throw and played with his hands down at the end, but he helped them take that lead in the second half.

Buzzy Duke

Agreed. Saw that too. Gotta give him credit for that and also give credit to K and the assistant coach that apologized for the celebration. BUT, there is no way you don't celebrate like that after an epic ending....

Wheat/"/"/"
02-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Great game by Rivers.
Poor outside shooting by UNC. Strong outside shooting by Duke, what Duke had to have to win this one.
Poor focus and execution late with key unforced mistakes again by UNC, been an issue all season.
Both teams played hard.
There is always the next one, so enjoy it while you can, it was a well earned win.

Devilsfan
Playing Billy Joel's "River of Dreams"! You can't believe how nice it feels living in Tarhole Country.

bradvinjack
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
One of the best nights I've ever had. Still in shock.
GO DUKE
I can't wait to get Rivers jersey and wear that in front of all the tarhole fans

mr. synellinden
02-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Watching Roy presser. He looks like he wants to cry.......PRICELESS!!!

I am no Roy fan but I do give him some credit for how he handled the press conference and how gracious and complimentary of Duke he was under those circumstances.

MCFinARL
Zeller - you let the whole team down!

Well, yeah, but to be fair to Zeller he also kept North Carolina in the game almost singlehandedly when we were hot in the first half. There are definitely players on UNC I'd be happier to gloat over than Zeller, who seems to work really hard and showboat relatively little.

sagegrouse
Great game by Rivers.
Poor outside shooting by UNC. Strong outside shooting by Duke, what Duke had to have to win this one.
Poor focus and execution late with key unforced mistakes again by UNC, been an issue all season.
Both teams played hard.
There is always the next one, so enjoy it while you can, it was a well earned win.

Wheat, thanks for your comments. -- sagegrouse

PallasAthena
02-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks to this team of wonderful young men, my birthday is PERFECT!!!!

Dukeface88
02-08-2012, 11:41 PM
*Clears throat*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT ISH WENT IN!

MCFinARL
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I am no Roy fan but I do give him some credit for how he handled the press conference and how gracious and complimentary of Duke he was under those circumstances.

Agree--seemed like the press was trying to get him to focus on Carolina errors and he repeatedly pointed out that it took good play by Duke, as well as mistakes by Carolina, to win the game.

Tucknut
Boy, I had already started changing the channel with 6 or 7 minutes to go. Just couldn't stand to watch us losing that way to the holes. Glad I stayed with it. I'd have been sick to have missed that.

lotusland
Great game by Rivers.
Both teams played hard.

it's really not as much fun when you're all gracious like that;)

UrinalCake
We started out the game great and finished great. In between I felt like they were just too much for us, despite how hard we were playing. If we had lost I would have still been proud of our team, but man oh man does it feel good to win like that.

JNort
02-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I really feel bad for Zeller. He is going to be the sacrificial lamb in this loss for UNC with him scoring for us. He kept UNC in the game in the first but Rivers did for us as well. OMG I am still receiving messages on my phone (up to 16 now) from friends and family about that shot. SOOOOOOOOO hyped right now and will not be able to sleep!!!

moonpie23
02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
There are quite a few nattering naybobs of negativity from the game thread who should be stepping forward but nevermind them. I can't wait for ESPN3 to cue up the replay!

Present sir..... i will say that i think i overestimated unc more than i underestimated us.....

regardless......rivers has immortalized himself in this lore...

Kfanarmy
,,,,Zeller helped us out with a tip-in.,,,, ok...so how was that not simply called goal tending and the 3 points put up....the ball was on the way down, and would have hit the rim momentarily if Z doesn't get a hand on it...is there such a rule that you can touch the ball on the way down toward the basket if the official believes it wouldn't have gone in?

OldPhiKap

Agreed.

AlaskanAssassin
02-08-2012, 11:45 PM
LOVE IT! Can't express how I feel right now!

Tyler Zeller must be in pain right now:
1) tip in
2) missed free throw
3) Defending the winning shot

westwall

Yes, but I thought Roy looked older than I've ever seen him look.

This might be the most satisfying win over Carolina, ever:)

FerryFor50

mr. synellinden
We ended their home court winning streak.

Gone in 150 seconds.

Channing
02-08-2012, 11:46 PM
against FSU we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory ... tonight we it was our turn to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. What a stellar stellar comeback performance!!!!!!!

NYBri
Only time we're ahead in the second half is with 0.0 seconds on the clock!

THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout!

anon
Unbelievable how he is able to keep everything in perspective after something like this. He led by noting that he thinks Carolina is the better team.

We are blessed.

burnspbesq
I admit it. With eight minutes to go, there was no rational way to think we were coming back, so I packed up my office and headed home. Won't be doing that again.

I will watch the replay on my iPad as soon as ESPN loads it.

Damn. That was extraordinary.

FerryFor50
ok...so how was that not simply called goal tending and the 3 points put up....the ball was on the way down, and would have hit the rim momentarily if Z doesn't get a hand on it...is there such a rule that you can touch the ball on the way down toward the basket if the official believes it wouldn't have gone in?

I was thinking the same. My guess is that it was because the shot was so far off that it had no chance to go in... unless Zeller tipped it in, of course. :D

DesertDevil
02-08-2012, 11:47 PM

I was sure questioning the effort at some points, but the end of that game showed me what the kids have inside. Really a gutsy win.

uh_no
02-08-2012, 11:47 PM
ok...so how was that not simply called goal tending and the 3 points put up....the ball was on the way down, and would have hit the rim momentarily if Z doesn't get a hand on it...is there such a rule that you can touch the ball on the way down toward the basket if the official believes it wouldn't have gone in?

it was outside the cylinder....maybe it would have hit the rim....it was close....and you can't fault the refs its a very very tough call to make..

DU82
02-08-2012, 11:48 PM

I thought the same thing initially, but on the replay, Zeller tips it in front of the basket and slightly below, so no goaltending.

Buckeye Devil
02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Duke would be unstoppable if it had Tyler Zeller on the inside.

uh_no
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Duke would be unstoppable if it had Tyler Zeller on the inside.

capel can't coach big men. :P

expect mason to be PISSED coming into round two next month

roywhite
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Just watching Sports Center....showing multiple replays of Austin's shot from different angles.

The crowd shots are absolutely priceless.
Talk about stunned.

barjwr
02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
" . . . ONIONS!!!!! . . ." Oh, how I hate to love Austin -- the guy is going to kill me before the year is over

lotusland

That's hilarious but I really wish Henson or Barnes had tipped in the shot. I would enjoy it much more. I feel a little sorry for Zeller even though I know in my heart that no Heels are worthy of pity;)

dukeballboy88
THat was a great comeback. We never looked rattled. Big ups to Mase with the steal that lead to Currys 3. Play of the game besides Rivers last shot. I love how SubZero sized Zeller up then tear dropped.

I cant believe all you guys were giving unc that much credit in the other thread. Saying it was going to get ugly. WTHeck? All of yall should be ashamed. UNC aint that good. If Henson aint pulling 17fters out his u know, Duke wins going away.

Now FSU lost and we got to go there and get them back. Who next? Hopefully this propels us forward.

uh_no
Just watching Sports Center....showing multiple replays of Austin's shot from different angles.

Talk about stunned.

love the duke fan in the fifth or so row right along the aisle jumping up and down when it went in. Braving hell to root for the blue and white!

SCMatt33
Haven't looked at the thread yet so I apologize if I'm repeating something, but one thing that was huge and pretty underrated was Tyler committing the last foul. He fouled out with it and gave Coach K a free timeout (that we didn't otherwise have) to gather everyone and outline the last play. Is Austin able to get Zeller on him otherwise, who knows, but that was pretty key.

gray
02-08-2012, 11:52 PM
I thought the same thing initially, but on the replay, Zeller tips it in front of the basket and slightly below, so no goaltending.

I still don't understand that call. I assume that Ryan Kelly got credit for the bucket. This may be the only instance where I've seen a player shoot the ball from beyond the arc and only get 2 points for the shot.

It would be great for someone with reffing experience to explain the logic behind that call.

One heck of a win tonight by the good guys!

Let's go Duke!

tbyers11

Talk about stunned.

I love the angle that shows Seth wildly waving his arms and telling Austin to go.

downtowndevil
... give credit to K and the assistant coach that apologized for the celebration.

for those of us watching at home any first hand accounts of what happened that required an apology by Duke? i mean the pile-on is pretty understandable. on tv i did see in the corner of the screen it looked like Quinn popped the jersey to the crowd. we've certainly seen worse in CIS by a visitor.

btw, at a game like this (never seen a finish like this in person) do the teams end up shaking hands eventually on court? do just the winning coaches shake hands with the other team? no idea what the protocol is. i'm sure it's a little different when's there is court storming too - which there obviously isn't when it's the visitors who win dramatically ;)

burnspbesq
02-08-2012, 11:53 PM
on espn3.com and Watch ESPN app.

monkey
02-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Talk about stunned.

Heh heh heh ... you mean like this?

Thank you Austin!

Phoenix22
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
How did we even get into this game after we were left for dead?

Actually played some good D at the end, but it was really the offensive productivity and the rebounding of Mason Plumlee.

Key plays:

Three by Tyler

RB and deuce by Ryan.

Courtesy tip-in by Zeller (shouldn't that have been a three?)

Game-winning bomb over the announcer-anointed ACC POY.

sagegrouse

Don't forget:

Mason getting the ball after Marshall is stripped.

Ryan Kelly drawing a charge.

uh_no
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I still don't understand that call. I assume that Ryan Kelly got credit for the bucket. This may be the only instance where I've seen a player shoot the ball from beyond the arc and only get 2 points for the shot.

It would be great for someone with reffing experience to explain the logic behind that call.

Let's go Duke!

mason gets credit since he was closest to the play, but that's a scorers decision, not the refs. All the refs have to say is it wasn't goaltending (which was probably the correct call) and therefore is a 2pt shot..doesn't matter where the shot was first taken from since it was touched by someone inside the arc and wasn't goaltending....they don't care who ACTUALLY gets credit for the points.

EDIT: apparnently i'm wrong and ryan gets credit....still doesn't change the ruling the refs made

DesertDevil
02-08-2012, 11:56 PM

Let's go Duke!

Yep, Kelly gets credit. Last offensive player to touch the ball.

brumby041
02-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Let's go Duke!

My interpretation:

There is no "own goal" in basketball. A tip by the defensive team that goes in the (wrong) basket is credited to the closest offensive player. (Or we'd have to add Zeller to our box score.)

Since the tip was at the basket (as opposed to behind the 3-point line), it is scored as a 2 point basket (by the closest Duke player).

Make sense?

UrinalCake

I'm no ref but the call was that it was an airball and then Zeller tipped the ball in. I'm also confused as to why they credited Kelly with the 2. I think in an own-goal situation the bucket usually gets assigned to whichever offensive player is closest to the play, which I think would have been Mason. They might change it before the official box score comes out.

DU82

Let's go Duke!

A shot that doesn't have chance to go in the basket. That's why it wasn't goaltending. From my viewpoint ten miles away, it appeared to be in front of goal and Zeller touched it below the rim.

If I remember my score keeping rules, if an opposing player tips it in, the player closest to the play gets credit. (not sure about that, though.). Let me check the game ticker.

weezie
What a night! Can't wait to hit the streets in the garb tomorrow morning!

Scratch and fight, gut it out D-U-K-E!!!!

anon
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Yep, Kelly gets credit. Last offensive player to touch the ball.

Isn't it usually the closest offensive player to the basket?

Scorp4me
An amazing game. With some time left I commented that even if we lose it was a good game. A miss here a make here and it's a different game. We stayed in it and either way it was going to be a good game. Just so happy right now, still in awe.

On the other hand Roy was unbelieveably gracious in his post game comments. Constantly giving Duke credit, not belittling his team saying both teams played well, and mentioning how the Duke kids should be celebrating the win and not to make anything of it. Tyler had some mistakes in the end but he was the main reason they were ahead in the end. He plays tough, doesn't run his mouth, and I know it's a small thing but was impressed when he tried to catch Miles after fouling him. But the fans...the FANS...oh I loved watching their reactions to Austin's shot. They feel they are entitled to win every game and will have forgotten about the loss by morning.

It's sad but after a big win like this I'm not happy that I can rub a Carolina fans face in it (cause I never do)...I'm just happy to not have to hear them.

SCMatt33

Let's go Duke!

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I think that once its clear that the ball won't go in, the shot has ended, so Zeller's tip is on the rebound and not the same as a guy tipping a shot on the way up. Thinking of it another way if it wasn't a tip on the rebound and the shot was over, then it would have to be goaltending. The ESPN play-by-play gives it to Kelly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change credit from Kelly to whoever was closest to Zeller, which I think is the convention for when a guy shoots in the wrong goal. That's all just a guess, but I'll throw it out there. I'd love to hear an official explanation as well.

lotusland
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
love the duke fan in the fifth or so row right along the aisle jumping up and down when it went in. Braving hell to root for the blue and white!

I've been in the Dean Dome for a Duke win wearing a Duke hat and shirt and really didn't take too much abuse. I was in the upper level at mid-court in the heart of wine and cheesedom though. Been awhile too I think Wojo went off in the second half as I recall.

uh_no
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
A shot that doesn't have chance to go in the basket. That's why it wasn't goaltending. From my viewpoint ten miles away, it appeared to be in front of goal and Zeller touched it below the rim.

If I remember my score keeping rules, if an opposing player tips it in, the player closest to the play gets credit. (not sure about that, though.). Let me check the game ticker.

that's what I thought too....but apparently its the last offensive player to touch the ball...either way its a scoring issue, not a reffing issue (much like what counts as an assist....the refs don't really care)

Son of Jarhead
02-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I could not be prouder of our Blue Devils if I tried. A great effort, never quitting. Way to go, Duke!

Now I get to go to work tomorrow and hear the cricket sounds coming from the unc crowd. Yesssssss!!!!:D

NYBri
02-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I was very concerned that we weren't going inside enough, but man was it nice to win on that three!!!

Inside was offensive death for us tonight.

Only way we were gonna win was to rain threes...and it poured at just the right time.

This one was SWEET!

subzero02
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Anyone who thought we were going to pull this one off after the 3 minute mark was just being austintatious.

uh_no
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Anyone who thought we were going to pull this one off after the 3 minute mark was just being austintatious.

Ozzie anyone?

Dianesboy
02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

Duke76
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Inside was offensive death for us tonight.

Only way we were gonna win was to rain threes...and it poured at just the right time.

This one was SWEET!

said the lit the bonfire right after the game, sweet

DU82
02-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I've been in the Dean Dome for a Duke win wearing a Duke hat and shirt and really didn't take too much abuse. I was in the upper level at mid-court in the heart of wine and cheesedom though. Been awhile too I think Wojo went off in the second half as I recall.

Other than Cameron, the DESSAC is the safest arena for visiting fans. The ushers do their job properly. The only people who get ejected are Prebyterian fans.

Was there a few times with the namesake of this forum, and I never felt I was in any physical danger. Liz, on the other hand, was ready to fight any challengers. :-)

Rogue
02-09-2012, 12:05 AM
WOW
WOW
WOW
WOW

I can't believe what we just saw.... tomorrow will be soooooooooooooooo good.

MAKE MY DAY ZELLER

COYS
I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I think that once its clear that the ball won't go in, the shot has ended, so Zeller's tip is on the rebound and not the same as a guy tipping a shot on the way up. Thinking of it another way if it wasn't a tip on the rebound and the shot was over, then it would have to be goaltending. The ESPN play-by-play gives it to Kelly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change credit from Kelly to whoever was closest to Zeller, which I think is the convention for when a guy shoots in the wrong goal. That's all just a guess, but I'll throw it out there. I'd love to hear an official explanation as well.

To make that play even stranger, it was better for Duke in the end that it was worth only 2 points. If Zellers tip had counted for three, the game would've been tied and UNC would have held the ball for the final shot, meaning we were headed for OT as a best case scenario and a UNC win at the buzzer as the worst case. Instead, we were forced to foul which put the ball in our hands for the final possession and set up Austin's heroics.

HateCarolina

Too funny. I feel like the last five minutes of the game was a blur. I think I'll watch the whole game again tomorrow, Friday, and then twice Saturday AM.

PS completely random, but who loves Telflora. Ad was just on. ; )

diveonthefloor
Roy Williams has only one regret - that he couldn't leave the court early with his starters before Rivers hit that shot.

POST OF THE NIGHT! :cool:

RockyMtDevil
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM
That's all I gott say. Go Duke and go Austin, unreal....

HateCarolina
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM
To make that play even stranger, it was better for Duke in the end that it was worth only 2 points. If Zellers tip had counted for three, the game would've been tied and UNC would have held the ball for the final shot, meaning we were headed for OT as a best case scenario and a UNC win at the buzzer as the worst case. Instead, we were forced to foul which put the ball in our hands for the final possession and set up Austin's heroics.

That is crazy. I hadn't thought of that...very interesting indeed.

wallyman
02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Poor Harrison Barnes had a boo boo on his ankle, so it doesn't count.
Not many wins greater than this one...

Waynne
Congratulations to our guys for hanging in the game the second half and making plays at the end. We were down 10 points with about 2:30 to go.

DU82
Watching WRAL, they have a copter over Cameron, and the students are gathering outside waiting for the team bus to return.

Any other rivalry, and they'd have to wait hours for a plane to land, and a trip from the airport. Nothing beats it.

wtm001
02-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Happy birthday to me!

gray
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
said the lit the bonfire right after the game, sweet

You should be proud! :)

And thanks to those who helped shed some light on that tip in!

weezie
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Isn't this great?! How tired, worn out and happy we'll all be tomorrow at work!
And Happy Bday wtm001!!!

wallyman
02-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Props to Roy for really gracious comments and to Zeller for a killer game 'cept for we know what.
The dog is deaf and he still heard me screaming after Austin's shot went in.

OldSchool
02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
made glorious summer by a walk-off grand slam Hail Mary pass game-winning penalty kick by Austin Rivers! (apologies to the Bard)

and by Seth and Ryan and Tyler and Mason and the rest of our noble Blue Devils!

and by that critical bucket by that Zeller guy, who seemed to actually be working at cross purposes to the team except for that one moment...oh wait, he's on the other team.

And a shout-out to Boston College!

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Props to Roy for really gracious comments and to Zeller for a killer game 'cept for we know what.
The dog is deaf and he still heard me screaming after Austin's shot went in.

He did drop the "Barnes ankle was hurting him in the first half" line, but overall, good comments by Droopy Dawg.

Son of Mojo
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
I really don't know how I'm going to get sleep tonight. I'm super jazzed from this. THIS is why you never give up hope in a game. No matter what.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHc!!!!!!

MarkD83
Great game by Rivers.
Both teams played hard.

Wheat, thanks for the kind analysis and coming over to visit after what must be a tough one to take. I hope you noticed that FSU lost tonight so there is a 3 way tie for 1st and it looks like the ACC regular season comes down to the game at CIS.

Sixthman
That was the experience of a lifetime! Better than my wildest dreams. I guarantee you it never crossed the mind of the Carolina faithful that Duke might win until the game was over. Stunned silence was the immediate response. So many Duke guys contributed in different ways. As always, it's what the players make of the experience and how they build on it that will tell the tale -- but so much to build on.

JNort
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM

It was below the rim when he hit it.

gumbomoop
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Just in case this does anyone some good, ESPNU will show the game tomorrow (Thurs) morn, 9-11 a.m.

Kfanarmy
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
So I thought the team was playing hard, really struggling to stay close, but really that is kind of where my expectation had settled around the 7 minute mark or so...really put off by the negative comments on the in-game thread, but no serious expectations of anything but the team to keep fighting....It really was kind of surreal, watching that comeback...all of a sudden there was a chance, and then there it was ...this incredible shot and Duke has won....unbelievable....

think about this Duke led the whole first half, by as much as 8 and then with less than a minute left in the half Carolina takes the lead...Carolina fans are hyped, Duke fans on here were totally depressed....

then Carolina leads the whole second half, by as much as 13 and then as the game expires, Duke hits that shot...Duke fans are totally bonkers; Carolina fans are completely deflated....just an amazing game.

ncexnyc
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
First, major props to anon. Deserves some serious pitchfork action for sticking with the team bigtime during the in game thread. I'm shocked some have the nerve to even show after some outright nasty comments they posted.

I find it hard to believe some are finally realizing this is Austin's team. It's been looking that way for the past few weeks and tonight clearly shows why. The kid is willing to step-up and lead.

Props to Zeller. He had a huge game and it's unfortunate he'll be painted as the goat by heel fans. Hate Henson. lots of attitude in such a thin frame. Carefull someone doesn't use you for a toothpick. Barnes did what I feared he do. We kept him in check early, but fouls against our kids finally got him going.

Major props to my man Tyler. It wasn't your best game by any stretch of the imagination, but you kept digging for loose balls and you didn't hesitate to bury that 3, after some really woeful shooting prior to that.

uh_no
Wheat, thanks for the kind analysis and coming over to visit after what must be a tough one to take. I hope you noticed that FSU lost tonight so there is a 3 way tie for 1st and it looks like the ACC regular season comes down to the game at CIS.

we play FSu once more as well...so assuming we and UNC both win out, then yes....but I wouldn't bet a lot of money we'll win out.

Duke Defense
Went back and rewatched the last 3 minutes- Will do that again and again the next few days. For those UNC fans crying about Zeller tipping the ball in- Kelly was fouled by Henson. That's why his shot was so far off. My sense of justice suggests he would've hit 2/3 :-D

elvis14
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow! Austin for 3...Duke Wins, Duke Wins, Duke Wins! Unreal! I woke up my wife and kids (and maybe 1/2 the neighborhood), then I went crazy on facebook. Tomorrow is going to be SO MUCH FUN! Thank you Austin Rivers.

UrinalCake
02-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Mistakes by UNC that will keep Roy up all night:

- not putting Zeller back in the game sooner even with 4 fouls
- not calling a timeout when Duke reduced the lead from 7 to 4, then to 2.
- having Zeller guard Rivers on the last possession rather than Henson.

SCMatt33
02-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Just a little extra fact: Duke has won 7 straight games at the Dean Dome in even numbered years dating back to a loss in 1998. Even when UNC went 7-2 over one stretch, the two wins were even numbered year wins at the Dean Dome. Doesn't mean anything and it's just one of those silly fact that you find if you look hard enough, but interesting none the less.

ChillinDuke
02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Now that's what I'm talkin about!

A game for the history books!

Austioni Rivers!!!

Wow...I'm so hoarse.

- Chillin

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
not calling a timeout

This is a mistake that Roy never learns from.

BlueDevilBaby
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Woo hoo! I am am ashamed to say I gave up early but caught the end in time. Now . . .where to choose my victorious dinner. Thank you, Tyler and Austin!

dukepsy1963
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
This almost makes up for 8 pts in 17 seconds, right?

I can't think of a Carolina loss with so much what just happened for them to absorb. Zeller taps in a missed three for them then goes 2 for 4 from the line to give Duke the three to win. Curry's travel before burying the three. This game is going to sting for a while.

GTHC

I was at that 8 point/17 sec one, but this one makes up for it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting a long, long time......................:):):)

Duke3517
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Duke won a game that they had no business winning but ill take it esp. vs. UNC!!!!! Key points....Harrison Barnes is in just as much fault as Tyler Zeller. That charge was terrible, he was completely off balanced, selfish, and even walked. He also missed key free throws as well. Whats funny is Duke vs. UNC is the biggest rivalry in all off college basketball so UNC should know Duke lives by the three and dies by it and STILL are not interested in covering the perimeter.

Great game Austin and an even better clutch shot!!!

snowdenscold
I find it amusing that UNC led for 20:00.0 minutes of the 2nd half.

miramar
that Coach K doesn't do that disgraceful crouching motion a la ol' Roy. What's he trying to tell them, "I want you guys to play like [expletive]"?

It's much better to see Coach K jumping around like a 12 year old after the victory.

ncexnyc

Don't know if I'd call Zeller on Rivers a mistake. Henson on the backline to guard the rim against a two seems like a better play to me. Zeller was there and played excellent D, it was just a better play by Austin.

Duke3517
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM

Agreed, not sure why PJ Hairston was not covering him

uh_no
This is a mistake that Roy never learns from.

classic second guess. If rivers misses it, everyone says "it was good he didn't call a timeout because duke didn't have a chance to set up a play"

Starter
Both teams played hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXiWZyJL90

OldSchool
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM

Zeller was guarding Mason. We ran my favorite play, the Austin-Mason pick and roll. With only a second or two left, they did the obvious thing defensively and made the switch. The defensive concern of having Zeller switch onto Austin is that Austin would drive by him, not that he would stick it in the face of an agile seven-footer.

diveonthefloor
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Interesting comment by K in the post game.

Something to the effect that yesterday's practice was basically a "walk-through" because he worried that his team needed to be fresher at the end of games.

Hmmmm.

I guess the man IS a genius after all.

TNTDevil
02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow! Austin for 3...Duke Wins, Duke Wins, Duke Wins! Unreal! I woke up my wife and kids (and maybe 1/2 the neighborhood), then I went crazy on facebook. Tomorrow is going to be SO MUCH FUN! Thank you Austin Rivers.LOL! Did the same (sans wife, who's traveling).

Funny thing...I had just texted a friend that "I like our chances." just before the Zeller tip-in. He replied: "I just wish we didn't have to make a three." To which I replied: "We're the best 3 pt. shooters in the land.".

Whoocouldanode? :confused:

Just freakin' beautiful. I think the team "grew-up" a bit tonight. The shift in emphasis in the 2nd half on driving the ball. The total team "fight". What more could you ask?

Of course, the test will be to build on tonight with a win at FSU.

MCFinARL
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
we play FSu once more as well...so assuming we and UNC both win out, then yes....but I wouldn't bet a lot of money we'll win out.

I'm not actually sure how much money I would bet on UNC winning out either, though--they have Virginia twice, Miami in Florida, and NCState in Raleigh. They could certainly win all of those, but it wouldn't astonish me if they lost one. It will be especially interesting to see whether UVA's defense can give them trouble.

NYBri
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
That was the experience of a lifetime! Better than my wildest dreams. I guarantee you it never crossed the mind of the Carolina faithful that Duke might win until the game was over. Stunned silence was the immediate response. So many Duke guys contributed in different ways. As always, it's what the players make of the experience and how they build on it that will tell the tale -- but so much to build on.

What a game to attend at the DD!

Jealous, I am!

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
classic second guess. If rivers misses it, everyone says "it was good he didn't call a timeout because duke didn't have a chance to set up a play"

2nd guess.... 3rd, 4th... Roy is renowned for saving his time outs.

Scorp4me
02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Apparently the refs missed Curry walking on the 3, Mason fouling Zeller on the tip in, screwed up in giving Duke the ball back after Kelly's miss, oh and then Kelly tripped Harrison resulting in the charge call. All of which are perfectly valid complaints I would guess. What they don't see is the myriad of calls Duke fans could complain about the refs missing. Gotta say...it's sweet seeing so many of the fans complaining about the refs. As I said before, it's the fans that deserve to lose...not the players or coaches.

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Zeller was guarding Mason. We ran my favorite play, the Austin-Mason pick and roll. With only a second or two left, they did the obvious thing defensively and made the switch. The defensive concern of having Zeller switch onto Austin is that Austin would drive by him, not that he would stick it in the face of an agile seven-footer.

But you could guarantee he was taking that 3. I didn't think for a second he was going for the tie at all.

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Apparently the refs missed Curry walking on the 3, Mason fouling Zeller on the tip in, screwed up in giving Duke the ball back after Kelly's miss, oh and then Kelly tripped Harrison resulting in the charge call. All of which are perfectly valid complaints I would guess. What they don't see is the myriad of calls Duke fans could complain about the refs missing. Gotta say...it's sweet seeing so many of the fans complaining about the refs. As I said before, it's the fans that deserve to lose...not the players or coaches.

As I said earlier in the thread, doesn't matter. SCOREBOARD! :D

OldSchool
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
But you could guarantee he was taking that 3. I didn't think for a second he was going for the tie at all.

Exactly. There wasn't enough time left for AR to get to the rim and finish. They made the smart defensive play. It's harder to shoot over Zeller than over Bullock. AR simply made a terrific shot.

killerleft
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM

I think Zeller would have just caught it if he thought it would miss the rim. And, no, the refs aren't asked to guess if a ball would have gone in, just whether it would have touched that imaginary cylinder that extends above the rim. After watching the play several times, I just can't decide whether the ball was gonna touch that rim or not. Either way, Zeller is gonna be vilified by the mean-spirited. I wouldn't change the outcome (ya guess?), but nobody deserves what he's going to hear for the next few days.

Better him than one of us!

Oh, and from glancing at the 20 or so posts to finish the in-game thread, one would not have a clue that Duke was showing great poise and perhaps playing as well as they have all year. What were you guys smoking? Mistakes are made in ALL games, but I was proud of the effort and plays we made even when we were 10 down.

Oh, and if Austin Rivers even gets close to that little switch that turns on that light bulb, somebody please slap his hand!

CLW
02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Unbelievable how he is able to keep everything in perspective after something like this. He led by noting that he thinks Carolina is the better team.

We are blessed.

I agree that Carolina is the better team and is currently better prepared to make a deep run in March. We stole one tonight.

This kind of W can go to ways it can really build the confidence/mojo and the team can come out on an edge and build on this W by blowing out the Terps on Saturday. OR the team can regress back to the team that doesn't give 100% effort and lay another egg leading to another loss.

I'm really interested to see how the team comes out Saturday. Do they come out on FIRE with passion/energy or do they revert back to the team that will be a no show for large periods of time.

CoachJ10
02-09-2012, 12:44 AM

When the refs were discussing that call...I was actually thinking how in a weird way, I wanted it to just be 2 points for us. Never underestimate the fearlessness that you can play with when you are behind. Take it from here, Subzero...

G man
02-09-2012, 12:45 AM
I wonder who was at the game for UNC (recruit wise). Anyone we are both chasing???

hurleyfor3
02-09-2012, 12:46 AM
The Dean Dome

is now

3 Rivers Stadium

Bluealum
02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Oh my GOD oh my God oh my God oh my God!

Oh my God!

Holy (edit) OH MY GOD!

I can't believe there are some breaking down the game already.....
I am still at this!!!

Oh My God!!!

I also LOVE "3 Rivers Stadium" for the nose dome. That will be used.

Kudos to the team for a 40 minute game!

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Know who I feel bad for? Stuart Scott. He has to keep watching that Rivers highlight and not say a word about his Tarholes.

Wait... I don't feel bad for him at all!

-bdbd
02-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Woo hoo! I am am ashamed to say I gave up early but caught the end in time. Now . . .where to choose my victorious dinner. Thank you, Tyler and Austin!

I had to call my dad right after the game. And he said that he too gave up with 3 min to go. I strung him along for a couple of minutes, then dropped the bomb, "Duke won." The line was dead silent for ten seconds, I swear. (But I don't blame you at all - I was eveing saying "stick a fork in us, we're done," myself. Good news is I got it on TV and ain't never erasing that one!! (Come on over...) ;)

Instant classic!

(Now, let's hope Duke can build on this.) :D

I was at that 8 point/17 sec one, but this one makes up for it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting a long, long time......................:):)
Ya know, I was thinking about that same game. This has to feel for UNC like the "Gone in 60 seconds" game felt like for MD. Wonderful. Just frickin' won-der-ful!

Don't know if I'd call Zeller on Rivers a mistake. Henson on the backline to guard the rim against a two seems like a better play to me. Zeller was there and played excellent D, it was just a better play by Austin.
The ESPN guys, Vitale and Bilas especially, were roasting Zeller in the post-game. Look at the replay, after the pick/switch (which I'm sure was called by coach Roy before-hand - "switch on all picks at the end") as he thinks AR is going to drive and keeps his hands down by his side the whole time until AR launches the shot. Honestly, I don't blame them for switching at the end, but Zeller coulda done a much better job of bothering that shot - gotta be aware of how much time is left... And I do feel for Zeller, b/c his stellar first half just caried UNC, but down the strecth he tips in a Duke airball, plays poor D to give up the game winner, and even missed a critical FT).

Wow. What a game! (ESPN talking heads were saying this is instantly one of the top-5 of all time in the series. I can't argue with that.)

Now I can die, cuz I'm already in heaven!

P.S. Re Stew Scott - 'couln't have happened to a better guy!!! (And you KNOW that Scott Van Pelt, who's often cited in the Terp student section, looked like he was just lovin' life sitting next to "Suffering Stew!")

sdwGT2
02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
So, I crack open a high ALC Belgian ale at half just to calm my nerves, and get myself ready for the second half. Hmmm, what kind of intensity will we bring in the second half? Damn, I was down in my "man cave" and I woke up the dogs and my wife upstairs when Austin hit that shot. I'm still jacked over this win. I started to think about where I was when Christian hit "the shot", and I started to think about all the past great Duke shots I have witnessed, and where I was. I will remember tonight for a very very long time. I'm proud to be a Duke "lifer".

Billy Dat
02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
We're great They suck!

This made me laugh

Agree, but who cares, as stated above by lotusland

Oh and Duke has a leader now. And his name is Austin.

I feel this way, too. Watching the team mob him at the end, and listening to his post-game comments felt like he took a huge step in that direction, and really has been for a good stretch of games since his "benching". Will he emerge as an alpha dog and our offense will resort to 3 point spot ups and pick and roll action all running through Mr. Rivers, with the occasional dump into the post?

We ended their home court winning streak.
Gone in 150 seconds.

Snapping that streak is another reason why this game was so awesome...lemon and salt in that wound!

What a theft.

It really was, is that why it feels extra good?

I had a resigned feeling during the game knowing that we were trying hard but it felt like they were just better. But, as K said, the team fought to stay close, really never letting it get to beyond 10 for very long, and then they go on a 13-2 run to win with no time on the clock. Plus, as others have said, we are squarely back in the ACC race.

Who knows what tonight means for this season. But this team added a huge signature moment that will live forever. K said Champions need to be special in some way. Tonight was special. It may have been flukey, but feeling like luck is on your side can go a long way.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Watched with a Tar Hole neighbor. Sucked it up in the second half when we were getting owned.

Can any DBR fan tell me the last game we won on a last second shot? All I remember is Dockery from half court... Or the last time we won a game we were "supposed" to lose?

Very satisfying game. Played a great first half and great last five minutes. Could be a season changing game. GO DUKE! 9F 9F 9F!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
That may have been the greatest game I have seen playing UNC. The 2010 blowout on senior night comes to mind obviously, but man THIS ONE FEELS GOOD!!!

Stone Cold Austin!!!!!

I love it. Duke has now won 5 of the last 6 against UNC! GTHC!

And yes, I think this could be the turning point. This team NEEDED something like this after 2 devastating losses at home. We'll see what happens, but I am going to enjoy this one!

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Watched with a Tar Hole neighbor. Sucked it up in the second half when we were getting owned.

Can any DBR fan tell me the last game we won on a last second shot? All I remember is Dockery from half court... Or the last time we won a game we were "supposed" to lose?

Very satisfying game. Played a great first half and great last five minutes. Could be a season changing game. GO DUKE! 9F 9F 9F!!!

The Duhon layup against UNC:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020504aaa.html

OldSchool
02-09-2012, 01:08 AM
The ESPN guys, Vitale and Bilas especially, were roasting Zeller in the post-game. Look at the replay, after the pick/switch (which I'm sure was called by coach Roy before-hand - "switch on all picks at the end") as he thinks AR is going to drive and keeps his hands down by his side the whole time until AR launches the shot. Honestly, I don't blame them for switching at the end, but Zeller coulda done a much better job of bothering that shot - gotta be aware of how much time is left.

The chattering heads are roasting Zeller because it's the easy thing to do. Zeller did have a hand in his face when he shot the ball. It was not terrible defense. Give Austin some credit, he shot it over a seven-footer with a hand in his face. If Zeller had crowded Austin with his arms up, then AR simply jumps into Zeller and gets to shoot free throws. Then Zeller would be an even bigger goat.

Any well-coached basketball team will switch everything in the last few seconds, they don't need to be told that.

Kedsy
02-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Let's hope this is the spark that carries this team to great heights. Did anybody else notice that Andre was the first celebrant to reach Austin?

Have a little faith gang. I'm not saying I knew we'd win this game, but man... It was fun rooting for our guys the whole time instead of vilifying them.

I'm glad somebody said this. The in-game thread was disgraceful.

remember a better one?)

I don't know about better -- hard to get better than a winning shot at the buzzer -- but we came back from a larger deficit just last season.

As others have mentioned, this wasn't a coaching error. Zeller switched on to Rivers after a screen.

...OR the team can regress back to the team that doesn't give 100% effort and lay another egg leading to another loss.

I'm really interested to see how the team comes out Saturday. Do they come out on FIRE with passion/energy or do they revert back to the team that will be a no show for large periods of time.

Nice to see that some people can keep their negative attitude, even after a win like that.

Freethrw33
02-09-2012, 01:09 AM

Last buzzer beater was Dave McClure against Clemson in Jan. 2007. I remember being at that game in Cameron. Can't really compare to this though!!!!!! ICE IN THE VEINS. My voice is gone.

SCMatt33
02-09-2012, 01:09 AM
The Duhon layup against UNC:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020504aaa.html

That wasn't truly last second. There was still time left. I can't think of one where there were all zeros when the ball went through the net to win it.

devilsadvocate85
02-09-2012, 01:10 AM
It was below the rim when he hit it.

Just watching ESPN again. From a floor level angle, the ball was without question "higher" than the rim when he touched it. The only question was whether any portion of the ball was over the "cylinder", which was close but looked like it was not.

NYBri
02-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Not many that we are "supposed" to lose.

hurleyfor3
02-09-2012, 01:13 AM

If you go by seedings/rankings, UConn in 1990.

shoutingncu
02-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Did not see that coming.

muzikfrk75
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

*clicks link*

*clicks 'Bookmark this page'*

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Not many that we are "supposed" to lose.

Precisely my point. Goodness that was sweet.

Austin makes me insane sometimes, but I would rather have him on my team than to have to play against him. Games like this will make me a fan very quickly.

As I said before THANK YOU DUKE for making my neighbor tolerable for a few weeks!

Most satisfying win I can remember in many years.

westwall
02-09-2012, 01:21 AM
for going on SportsCenter seconds after Rivers shot, keeping a stiff upper lip and doing a semi-professional job of pretending that he wasn't dying inside.

(Scott Van Pelt said his 1st reaction to the shot was that he would be doing SportsCenter by himself, without Stuart Scott. Van Pelt also flashed back to his own Jay Williams-administered "gone in 69 seconds" nightmare at his alma mater, Maryland.)

Starter
02-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Can this finally -- FINALLY!!!! -- bury the ridiculous notion that Rivers is some sort of flawed, selfish player? I'm sick of hearing about his shot selection -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about his decision-making -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about how he doesn't make his teammates better -- he does. I'm sick of hearing about his attitude or whatever -- it doesn't exist. People get so carried away with memes that they forget to check whether they're actually, you know, true or not. I love Seth Davis -- seriously, a great guy -- but this is utter nonsense (http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/167458905461506048).

Rivers is still learning the game, but he's a totally awesome basketball player and a true leader with a fantastic personality. That's all there is to it. And that was true long before he hit a game-winning shot.

Cell-R
02-09-2012, 01:32 AM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(sorry that post had no substance -- but it did.)

Dukehky
02-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I was talking to a girl I know who has seats pretty close to the floor in the Dome, and she said that Thornton was just nasty the whole game. I don't like Tyler as a starting Duke point guard, I rarely like him on the court and I think my posting has conveyed that belief. However, hearing that he was all in Henson's grill the entire night, lot of f-bombs and calling him a part of a certain gender's anatomy, has endeared me a little more to him. I didn't think we had any nasty players on the team, and even if I don't think he's very good player or leader for that matter, I do think there's something to be said about having a little a-hole on the court to get into other players, and I assume that that's why K has him in there so often. He's not dirty, but he's mean... I like that, and he's mean in the way that no one else knows he's mean. Awesome game, big time win. When AR pulled up, the stadium went quiet, I yelled "good" and got 3 water bottles thrown at me... Worth it.

Go to hell Carolina

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Can this finally -- FINALLY!!!! -- bury the ridiculous notion that Rivers is some sort of flawed, selfish player? I'm sick of hearing about his shot selection -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about his decision-making -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about how he doesn't make his teammates better -- he does. I'm sick of hearing about his attitude or whatever -- it doesn't exist. People get so carried away with memes that they forget to check whether they're actually, you know, true or not. I love Seth Davis -- seriously, a great guy -- but this is utter nonsense (http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/167458905461506048).

Rivers is still learning the game, but he's a totally awesome basketball player and a true leader with a fantastic personality. That's all there is to it. And that was true long before he hit a game-winning shot.

Just to play Devil's advocate (can I even say that on a Blue Devils' forum?)....

What if Rivers misses most of the ill-advised 3 pointers like he has in other games this season? Would you be saying the same thing?

I've grown to love the kid, even before this game. But he does tend to try to force the issue. Once he gets it all figured out, game on!

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
I was talking to a girl I know who has seats pretty close to the floor in the Dome, and she said that Thornton was just nasty the whole game. I don't like Tyler as a starting Duke point guard, I rarely like him on the court and I think my posting has conveyed that belief. However, hearing that he was all in Henson's grill the entire night, lot of f-bombs and calling him a part of a certain gender's anatomy, has endeared me a little more to him. I didn't think we had any nasty players on the team, and even if I don't think he's very good player or leader for that matter, I do think there's something to be said about having a little a-hole on the court to get into other players, and I assume that that's why K has him in there so often. He's not dirty, but he's mean... I like that, and he's mean in the way that no one else knows he's mean. Awesome game, big time win. When AR pulled up, the stadium went quiet, I yelled "good" and got 3 water bottles thrown at me... Worth it.

Go to hell Carolina

Awesome.

Thornton... the "thorn" in our opponents' sides. Love it! :D

hurleyfor3
02-09-2012, 01:38 AM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2365&d=1328769395

SoCalDukeFan
02-09-2012, 02:01 AM
My access was revoked because I asked in 2010 if anyone was having a NIT Selection Show Viewing Party.

boy they are touchy.

I do think someone needs to post a link to Austin's shot as a service for anyone who missed it.

SoCal

brumby041
02-09-2012, 02:10 AM
for going on SportsCenter seconds after Rivers shot, keeping a stiff upper lip and doing a semi-professional job of pretending that he wasn't dying inside.

(Scott Van Pelt said his 1st reaction to the shot was that he would be doing SportsCenter by himself, without Stuart Scott. Van Pelt also flashed back to his own Jay Williams-administered "gone in 69 seconds" nightmare at his alma mater, Maryland.)

Second this. I'm not usually a fan of Stuart Scott, but I have to give him credit. That had to hurt and he did really well, considering.

Starter
02-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Just to play Devil's advocate (can I even say that on a Blue Devils' forum?)....

What if Rivers misses most of the ill-advised 3 pointers like he has in other games this season? Would you be saying the same thing?

I've grown to love the kid, even before this game. But he does tend to try to force the issue. Once he gets it all figured out, game on!

I mean, nobody's perfect. Has Rivers taken ill-advised threes? Sure, and I'm sure you can name me some. Did J.J. Redick, Trajan Langdon and Jon Scheyer take ill-advised threes? By all means, it's just Rivers just gets picked apart for it, and it seems that was predetermined before he even stepped on the court. He can't miss a shot without everyone questioning his decision-making and such. Meanwhile, he's shooting about 38 percent on threes, not too shabby. I'm just saying, let my dude breathe!

Now to play Devil's Advocate right back, if Rivers doesn't force the issue at times, who will? Who else has that scorer's mentality on this team? Mason has been great this year, but he was invisible most of the night against a talented and physical frontcourt. Kelly can shoot and he can get off the bounce sometimes, but he can't get to the rack or create his own shot like Austin can. Tyler Thornton scored three points in 30 minutes. (Don't get me wrong, we badly needed those three.) I love Cook, but he's not quite ready on that level yet. (He will be.) Curry's a good player, but that's not usually his MO. Where would Duke have been without Rivers hitting a couple threes in a row in the second half when he was feeling it? Nowhere, that's where. That's what great players do: They move the needle. They make things happen, one way or another. They win ballgames.

Native
02-09-2012, 02:17 AM

striker219
02-09-2012, 02:39 AM

Edouble
02-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Boy, I had already started changing the channel with 6 or 7 minutes to go. Just couldn't stand to watch us losing that way to the holes. Glad I stayed with it. I'd have been sick to have missed that.

Don't know if you're a fan of 2 weeks, or 20 years, but this is Duke-UNC. Looks like you don't quite get the rivalry yet if you're channel surfing with six minutes. Don't ever give up on the Blue Devils, or think we have any game won when we're playing the uglier shade of blue. The rivalry is a living, breathing organism. You never know what it will think of next.

MulletMan
02-09-2012, 03:18 AM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(sorry that post had no substance -- but it did.)

But it did!

JNort
02-09-2012, 03:33 AM
"1 if by land, 2 if by sea, 3 if by Rivers" K-Ville tent

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Woke up early this morning for work after staying up late and, erm, celebrating a bit last night. First thing I did was log on and make re-watch the final moments of the game on espn3 (yes, it's true, you can re-watch the entire thing over and over for the next day or so if you are inclined).

This may be the most enjoyable exhausted and hungover day in quite some time.

Wear your Duke gear today, kids... I don't care if it's been sitting in mothballs for a little while (mine's on the top of my wardrobe) - it's going to be a beautiful day.

Did you see K's reaction last night in the moments immediately following the winning shot? When's the last time he looked that excited? Games/moments/shots like that come along once in a great while. I will start "next play" tomorrow. Today, I'm going to dwell on this one just a bit more.

/seriously, you can rewatch the entire game on espn3
//or just the last 2:30 if you are in a time pinch
///where's my aspirin?

Reilly
02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
My access was revoked because I asked in 2010 if anyone was having a NIT Selection Show Viewing Party.....

As I recall, they did. It was the best party ever, per a bakery. And they hung a banner about it.

Ggallagher
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM

I guess I could go with calling Stuart SEMI-professional. I thought they were required to keep one person on the ESPN set who had to PRETEND to be objective, so it really did startle me last night when he said, "We're ALL crying on the set here tonight".

But to balance that off, he did ask Jalen Rose, "So I think you know what it's like to lose to both these teams - in a national championship..." Which almost left Rose speechless.

OK - I've changed my mind. Who cares about objectivity????

I REALLY enjoyed watching them suffer.

Way to go DUKE!!!

lotusland
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM

No and I don't think he ever really considered passing over to Dre either. He was going to take that shot unless he was completely smothered. Dude is fearless.

cspan37421
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
... Thornton was just nasty the whole game. ... However, hearing that he was all in Henson's grill the entire night, lot of f-bombs and calling him a part of a certain gender's anatomy, has endeared me a little more to him. ... I do think there's something to be said about having a little a-hole on the court to get into other players, and I assume that that's why K has him in there so often.

Really? You think Coach K has an offensive or defensive scheme for which the primary job for one player is to taunt the opposition?

Frankly I prefer the days when we were (generally) known for good sportsmanship and class. Playing great is impressive, woofing and smack talk is not. I'm too old school for the modern game, I guess. By the way, as I recall, Henson hit 2 of 2 when Thornton got in his grill at the line in the first half. Henson collected 17 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, and shot 5-11 (perhaps some missed tip-ins?). Did taunting really hold down those numbers? I've seen a few of our other guys get really mouthy and that's not something I'm proud of. How are we different (in a good way) if we act like everyone else, or worse?

That said, great win, a needed confidence boost, an all-time classic. 3-ball saved us (esp. Austin & Seth combining for 10/18! But the others were 4/18) but we can't count on that every night. Still a great deal of work to do on most other aspects of our game. I do think playing a team like UNC - their talent and the rivalry - inspired us to play hard and smart for 40 minutes. Anyone have link to Coach K's comments after the game?

Duke79UNLV77
02-09-2012, 08:35 AM
P.J. Hairston Spring 2011:

"I dont care what "good" recruits they have coming in next year, if he weighs less than 200 lbs there is no chance of stopping me...period" "Say it to who's face? *shivering* That "boy" weighs 180lbs. I will run him back to Florida!"

2/8/12:

Rivers 29 points
P.J. Hairston: 0

wtm001
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks to this team of wonderful young men, my birthday is PERFECT!!!!

Happy birthday!!!! Mine is today too :cool:

Duvall
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Frankly I prefer the days when we were (generally) known for good sportsmanship and class. Playing great is impressive, woofing and smack talk is not. I'm too old school for the modern game, I guess.

Art Heyman and Christian Laettner are wondering when this old school took place.

fisheyes
02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
"1 if by land, 2 if by sea, 3 if by Rivers" K-Ville tent

This is the best I've heard!!!

Matches
02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I mean, nobody's perfect. Has Rivers taken ill-advised threes? Sure, and I'm sure you can name me some. Did J.J. Redick, Trajan Langdon and Jon Scheyer take ill-advised threes? By all means, it's just Rivers just gets picked apart for it, and it seems that was predetermined before he even stepped on the court. He can't miss a shot without everyone questioning his decision-making and such. Meanwhile, he's shooting about 38 percent on threes, not too shabby. I'm just saying, let my dude breathe!

This, a thousand times. No one is perfect, AR included, but his flaws have been magnified and harped on to an absurd extent. He is a warrior. Last night was only the most recent example.

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Now to play Devil's Advocate right back, if Rivers doesn't force the issue at times, who will? Who else has that scorer's mentality on this team? Mason has been great this year, but he was invisible most of the night against a talented and physical frontcourt. Kelly can shoot and he can get off the bounce sometimes, but he can't get to the rack or create his own shot like Austin can. Tyler Thornton scored three points in 30 minutes. (Don't get me wrong, we badly needed those three.) I love Cook, but he's not quite ready on that level yet. (He will be.) Curry's a good player, but that's not usually his MO. Where would Duke have been without Rivers hitting a couple threes in a row in the second half when he was feeling it? Nowhere, that's where. That's what great players do: They move the needle. They make things happen, one way or another. They win ballgames.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying, I can see why some people might have issues. It's not just the quality of shot, but also the volume... especially by a freshman.

Currently, Rivers averages 11.3 shots per game and only has 2 assists per game.

Compare that to the following as freshmen:

JJ Redick: 10.9 shots, 2 assists per game
Kyrie Irving: 9.5 shots, 4.3 assists per game
Kyle Singler: 10.2 shots, 1.4 assists per game

I think Rivers might be a new JJ Redick. Same kind of swagger, same kind of "against the world" mentality.

I don't know what the Duke fan base thought of JJ when he first got to Duke, but taking a high volume of shots as a freshman without really passing a whole lot, having a personality that might take time to grow on you and watching a player learn on the fly probably contributes to the initial angst.

The reason why everyone loved Irving is because he could dominate by scoring or by passing and making everyone better. Right now, Rivers is a pure scorer. Will he ever become more of a distributor? Should we care?

Every team needs a sniper.

superdave
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Key plays:

sagegrouse

I cannot tell you how many Carolina fans in my life pointed this out. I thought it was just one too many steps because he landed in a jump stop motion, it's just that his feet hit not at the same time so it looked worse than it really was. But I'd simply point out to the Carolina haters that Carolina was over the back on nearly every offensive rebound that had and was mighty handsy on perimeter D, so no whining.

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I cannot tell you how many Carolina fans in my life pointed this out. I thought it was just one too many steps because he landed in a jump stop motion, it's just that his feet hit not at the same time so it looked worse than it really was. But I'd simply point out to the Carolina haters that Carolina was over the back on nearly every offensive rebound that had and was mighty handsy on perimeter D, so no whining.

I just like to point out the score and that there are no takebacks. :D

Oh Canada
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Just a quick question. The announcers were all over Duke for their poor rebounding last night but in the first half I noticed one man (only) crashing the boards on every shot taken. I'm assuming they were worred about the Carolina fast break. Do you think this was the game plan as it would have obviously hurt us in the offence boards category but seemed to cut down on many Carolina break options.

superdave
02-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Haven't looked at the thread yet so I apologize if I'm repeating something, but one thing that was huge and pretty underrated was Tyler committing the last foul. He fouled out with it and gave Coach K a free timeout (that we didn't otherwise have) to gather everyone and outline the last play. Is Austin able to get Zeller on him otherwise, who knows, but that was pretty key.

Was Austin's play drawn up or free-lanced or was it one of our more common set plays? I'll have to go back and watch for the 30th time with that in mind.

AsiaMinor
02-09-2012, 09:30 AM
All that NBA Tar Heeeel talent was outcoached tonight, pure and simple.
And I don't just mean during the game. I mean in building, and planning,
and gutting it out with a group of guys who are becoming a real team.
All props to Rivers for sure, and to the rest of the team for getting us to the
point where that 3 made all the difference. I have to go now, I can't stop
watching Sportscenter replay this over and over.

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Was Austin's play drawn up or free-lanced or was it one of our more common set plays? I'll have to go back and watch for the 30th time with that in mind.

It was the Mason pick and roll play. According to Rivers, he had the option to pass (HA) or shoot. We all knew what was going to happen. Just didn't expect the result. :D

MCFinARL
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
The Dean Dome

is now

3 Rivers Stadium

Think this needs a visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzQBBJdvjs

NYBri
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
I cannot tell you how many Carolina fans in my life pointed this out. I thought it was just one too many steps because he landed in a jump stop motion, it's just that his feet hit not at the same time so it looked worse than it really was.

Michael Jordan.

MCFinARL
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Art Heyman and Christian Laettner are wondering when this old school took place.

Fair point. Still, a bunch of f-bombs doesn't sound like a very sophisticated approach to getting in another player's head. If you're gonna woof, do it with some style. ;)

sagegrouse
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Was watching Sports Center kick in with Stuart Scott and Jalen Rose. Both of whom seemed atypically quiet.

Jalen had an interesting point. Zeller needs to force Austin to drive, not let him shoot a three. Remembering the play, then Andre gets a pass beyond the top of the key for the final shot.

sagegrouse

Orange&BlackSheep
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Happy birthday!!!! Mine is today too :cool:
Auspicious club

MCFinARL
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
No and I don't think he ever really considered passing over to Dre either. He was going to take that shot unless he was completely smothered. Dude is fearless.

Even Kendall Marshall said, in one of the articles linked from the front page, that he/they all knew Austin was going to take that shot. (Except, I guess, Zeller, who said he was worried about Austin driving.)

FerryFor50
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Think this needs a visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzQBBJdvjs

I made one.

Feel free to make some of your own here:

http://www.quickmeme.com/make/