PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun is at it again

-jk
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Calhoun is at it again. This time he wants to play in the NCAA tourney next year despite the abysmal APR disqualifying his team.

Instead, he wants to give up exhibition games and spend more time in study hall.

Yeah, right. (www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-02-08/connecticut-apr-academics-2013/53011358/1) Color me skeptical.

-jk

Bluedog
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
While I think Calhoun is ridiculous, I do find it mildly unfair (in certain circumstances) that the NCAA penalizes student-athletes who perhaps had nothing to do with the violation/shortcoming in the first place. Although I guess that's the risk they take choosing to play at UConn. But the individuals who caused the penalty in the first place get off without any consequences. I guess the NCAA has no other choice, though, as they obviously can't penalize former players (except with vacated wins perhaps).

stals
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM
While I think Calhoun is ridiculous, I do find it mildly unfair (in certain circumstances) that the NCAA penalizes student-athletes who perhaps had nothing to do with the violation/shortcoming in the first place. Although I guess that's the risk they take choosing to play at UConn. But the individuals who caused the penalty in the first place get off without any consequences. I guess the NCAA has no other choice, though, as they obviously can't penalize former players (except with vacated wins perhaps).

The NCAA (I hope) is trying to make high school "student"-athletes think twice about playing for programs that are tainted. Calhoun is so tainted that his players must be aware of the risk.

Faustus
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
"Your honor, I realize I was caught stealing that car, but rather than accept the penalties the court has imposed and go to jail for a year, I'd prefer to just stay in my house a couple extra weekends... and keep the car too. Okay?"

I wish the NCAA would add an EXTRA year's tournament ban for the sheer effrontery of this latest scam attempt. But that's just me...

BD80
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Calhoun is at it again. This time he wants to play in the NCAA tourney next year despite the abysmal APR disqualifying his team.

Instead, he wants to give up exhibition games and spend more time in study hall.

Yeah, right. (www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-02-08/connecticut-apr-academics-2013/53011358/1) Color me skeptical.

-jk

He also offered to give up this year's tournament.

At least that's the way the team is playing

lotusland
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Allow the players to transfer without redshirting if a team is ineligible for academic performance. Losing recruits will be another motivating factor for programs to make sure they actually feild a team with student athletes.

hurleyfor3
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Oooooooh, study hall. The horror!

The ncaa won't think that's harsh enough. They'll also force Calhoun to sit out next year's games against Hofstra and Cornell, and slap Quinnipiac with two years' probation.

Bluedog
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
DENIED. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-uconn-apr)

Not surprising, obviously.

BD80
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
DENIED. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-uconn-apr)

Not surprising, obviously.

I wonder if Calhoun will still follow through with the strict academic proposals offered in the proposed deal?

grossbus
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned from 2013 tourney because of consistently bad academics.

Will be appealed, will NCAA stick to guns?

They could miss this year. 2 year absence could have an impact on recruiting.

Hope it sticks.

uh_no
02-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Calhoun will still follow through with the strict academic proposals offered in the proposed deal?

99% guarantee calhoun retires after this year regardless of the outcome of either this season or this appeal.

hurleyfor3
02-10-2012, 08:12 PM
The probation is due to academic performance in from 2008-2011, correct?

I would suggest this alternate punishment, then: Uconn can still play in the 2013 tournament. However, it must give back its NCAA revenue from 2008-2011, splitting it amongst the rest of the Big East (including Syracuse and Pitt). And it must vacate its entire performance in the ncaa tournaments from those years.

This is fair to the current and future players and levies punishment on those who produced the performance.

WiJoe
02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
99% guarantee calhoun retires after this year regardless of the outcome of either this season or this appeal.

Says whom?

ArkieDukie
02-10-2012, 08:32 PM

I would suggest this alternate punishment, then: Uconn can still play in the 2013 tournament. However, it must give back its NCAA revenue from 2008-2011, splitting it amongst the rest of the Big East (including Syracuse and Pitt). And it must vacate its entire performance in the ncaa tournaments from those years.

This is fair to the current and future players and levies punishment on those who produced the performance.

Excellent idea. I like it. Unfortunately the NCAA won't go for it - makes too much sense.

uh_no
02-10-2012, 09:11 PM

I like that punishment. I'm all for punishing the school and coach in a way that doesn't hurt the kids on the team now who didn't do a thing wrong (and turned in a rather high APR last year...or are on pace to this year)

Kdogg
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I like that punishment. I'm all for punishing the school and coach in a way that doesn't hurt the kids on the team now who didn't do a thing wrong (and turned in a rather high APR last year...or are on pace to this year)

I call shenanigans on the new APR numbers. They fired the guy that handled that in the past and now magically they make the grade. Also remember Kemba Walker's statement that he never read a book until last year. I wonder if this was a factor in Drummond coming early.