PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic alert

Olympic Fan
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
As expected, ESPN classic is looking back at the Duke-UNC rivalry Wednesday -- although they are alternating Duke-UNC games with Syracuse-Georgetown games.

At least they treat Duke fairly with two Duke wins and two UNC wins:

2 a.m. -- Duke's 2005 win in Durham (71-70 over the eventual national camps)
8:30 a.m. -- UNC's 1992 win in Chapel Hill over the eventual gational champs
12:30 p.m. -- The 2004 game in Chapel Hill -- an 83-81 OT win for Duke.
4:30 p.m. -- The famous UNC win in double OT in Durham in 1995

We've seen a lot of these before (although I don't think the 2004 game is that common), but I thought somebody might be interested in setting a DVR or a VHS machine for one of the replays.

Also: the 2001 'Gone in 55 seconds" game at Maryland will be aired at 11 a.m. Friday

94duke
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
As expected, ESPN classic is looking back at the Duke-UNC rivalry Wednesday -- although they are alternating Duke-UNC games with Syracuse-Georgetown games.

At least they treat Duke fairly with two Duke wins and two UNC wins:

2 a.m. -- Duke's 2005 win in Durham (71-70 over the eventual national camps)
8:30 a.m. -- UNC's 1992 win in Chapel Hill over the eventual gational champs
12:30 p.m. -- The 2004 game in Chapel Hill -- an 83-81 OT win for Duke.
4:30 p.m. -- The famous UNC win in double OT in Durham in 1995

We've seen a lot of these before (although I don't think the 2004 game is that common), but I thought somebody might be interested in setting a DVR or a VHS machine for one of the replays.

Also: the 2001 'Gone in 55 seconds" game at Maryland will be aired at 11 a.m. Friday

Was 2004 the Duhon-dribbles-and-runs-the-length-of-the-floor-and-finishes-with-that-amazing-reverse-layup-for-the-win game?

WakeDevil
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Why is there never a mention of the Fred Lind game?

Grey Devil
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Well, you just mentioned it! ;) Undoubtedly the best Duke-Carolina game ever!

Of course, there's probably no suitable video available to share what a wonderful game it was....a 3 OT victory over Carolina in the Indoor Stadium. (No "Cameron Indoor Stadium" at that time, although the genuine article was surely indoors watching the game at the time.)

That said, I would really love to see it again! As would many of my classmates at the time.

Go Duke!

GTHC!!
Grey Devil

Tappan Zee Devil
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM

I would expect it is because ESPN doesn't have a tape of it to play.

wk2109
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Was 2004 the Duhon-dribbles-and-runs-the-length-of-the-floor-and-finishes-with-that-amazing-reverse-layup-for-the-win game?

Yes it was. That game was in Chapel Hill. The 2004 game in CIS (Duhon's Senior Night) was also really good -- I randomly found the full game on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVfbLM8qq8.

kmspeaks
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm watching the '95 game on ESPN Classic right now. It's fun getting to see Wojo on the court again. That guy is the reason I became a Duke fan.

Also refreshing to hear Dick Vitale actually talk about the basketball game he's watching instead of Brittney Spears or what he had for dinner last night. I had almost forgotten that he wasn't always so terrible to listen to.

BigZ
02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
My favorite Duke-UNC game is the classic in Cameron where Duke cameback down like 15 with 10 mins left against Vince Carter and Jamison. I was kind of young so I don't remember what year it was.

Rogue
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
There are so many I'd love to see again. The 7-0 halftime game, maybe 1978.
Gene Banks/Kenny Dennard's Senior Game.. Banks, the roses, the last second shot to send it to OT,, then the win,,

Olympic Fan
02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
My favorite Duke-UNC game is the classic in Cameron where Duke cameback down like 15 with 10 mins left against Vince Carter and Jamison. I was kind of young so I don't remember what year it was.

That was Feb. 28, 1998 -- No. 1 Duke rallied from 17 down in the last 10 minutes to edge No. 3 UNC 77-75. That game decided the ACC regulr season title.

We get to see the recent games quite often. A few of the old games I'd love to see (but probably can't because the tapes aren't around):

1. The 1968 'Freddie Lind" game ... triple overtime with the most unlikely hero in the history of te rivalry

2. The 1961 brawl game ... the first time Duke and UNC ever met as top 10 teams. A great performance by Heyman. A near-fight in the first half, then the worst brawl in ACC in the second (precipitated by Larry Brown and a cowardly hit-and-run attack by Donnie Walsh).

3. The Gene Banks finale in 1981

4. The 7-0 "Air Ball" game in 1979 (not 78).

5. The 1972 Robbie West game (the day Duke Indoor Stadium was re-named Cameron Indoor Staduium).

6. The Dick Groat/Art Heyman home finales in 1952/63. Groat scored 48 against UNC in his last game at Cameron/Heyman scored 40 in his last game

7. The 1960 ACC Tournament semifinals ... after losing to UNC by 22-plus points three times during the season, Vic Bubas' first Duke team upsets UNC in Raeigh.

8. The 1966 ACC Tournament semifinals ... Mike Lewis makes a FT in the final seconds to bat UNC 21-20

9. The 1988 ACC Tournament finals .. a great defensive game that turned on Quin Snyder blocking a breakaway layup in the final seconds

10. The 1980 ACC Tiournament semifinals ... UNC had ended the regular season with a 96-71 whipping of Duke in Chapel Hill. Six days later, Duke turned the tables and won 75-61 -- a 39-point turaround! -- and one night later edged Maryland for the ACC championship.

And a couple of Carolina wins I wouldn't mind watching again (just because they were great games)

1. The 1957 game in Woollen Gym ... great rally to tie the game by underdog Duke, but because of a scoreboard malfunction, Bobby Joe Harris thouht Duke ws still down two and committed an intentional foul with 16 seconds left to allow that 32-0 UNC team to escape

2. The 1969 ACC Tournament final ... In Vic Bubas' last game, Duke had UNC beat, up 11 early in the second half, before Charlie Scott went nuts (25 of his 40 points in the second gaf). The greatest single game performance I've ever seen.

3. Phil Ford's home finale in 1978. Just a great game, played at an extremely high level. Duke -- which wouldn't lose again until the national title game -- was great, but Ford -- the greatest point guard in ACC history, had perhaps his greatest game.