PDA

View Full Version : Duke/UNC: Who the Public Is Pulling For

WakeDevil
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/02/5th-annual-uncduke-poll.html

If the poll is for real, it really does demonstrate the gap between the hardcore fans, including those who inhabit message boards, and the "casual fans." (That expression is an oxymoron.)

One thing we did different this year was ask supporters of the other major schools in the state who they pull for in the UNC-Duke clash. Wake Forest fans go overwhelmingly for Duke (43-17), while East Carolina partisans prefer the Tar Heels 41-22. NC State fans split almost evenly with 37% going for UNC to 36% for Duke.

We went a little more in depth than usual this year on how UNC and Duke fans view their opposing school:

-UNC fans are more inclined to root against Duke when the two schools aren't playing each other than Duke fans are to root against UNC. 36% of Tar Heel partisans say they generally root against the Devils to 23% who say they usually root for them and 41% who don't care. Carolina fans describing themselves as 'hardcore' tend to pull for Duke to lose by a 66/12 spread.

Duke backers are more evenly split. 35% say they generally root for UNC and 35% say they generally cheer against UNC. As with the UNC fan base, 'hardcore' Duke fans are much more interested in seeing the Tar Heels lose- 53% generally want their rival to fail to 32% who want them to succeed.

This divide between 'hardcore' and moderate to casual fans is something we see pretty much any time we poll on college sports. The diehard fans who want their rival school to lose every game are a relatively small part of the fan base.

I have a difficult time thinking that the NC State fan base is evenly divided on this game. I understand pulling for teams out of conference, but I have never pulled for Orange County Community College in a league game.

Duke79UNLV77
02-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think there's any way that Duke backers are evenly split on whether to root against UNC generally, unless most of those polled are non-Duke students or alums who just generally like Duke because they win a lot and Coach K is a demigod.

shoutingncu
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Who are the siblings rooting for?!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rapid-reports/post/17156452

Not to mention young Ms. Henson...

sagegrouse
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't think there's any way that Duke backers are evenly split on whether to root against UNC generally, unless most of those polled are non-Duke students or alums who just generally like Duke because they win a lot and Coach K is a demigod.

Here's my take: this was a poll aimed at the citizenry in North Carolina, not just the hardcore backers of teams. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a healthy amount of local pride -- people freely listing their preferences among the Big Four teams (1-2-3-4) but backing them all in games outside the state and region.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I know who the Most Interesting Man in the World is pulling for.

JasonEvans
02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
You all may find this hard to believe, but I was at least part of the genesis of that poll.

When the folks at PPP began to prepare this year's poll, I told them there were some extra questions they should ask. I said I would be interested in hearing the answers to the following--

1. Would you rather watch a game in Cameron or in The Smith Center?

2. If you are a Duke fan, describe your feelings toward UNC: root for them, respect them, don't care about UNC, don't like them very much, hate them

3. If you are a UNC fan, describe your feelings toward Duke: root for them, respect them, don't care about UNC, don't like them very much, hate them

4. Is it good for "the rivalry" for both Duke and UNC to be good?

5. When your rival school is playing another team, do you root for them to lose all of the time, some of the time, rarely, never, I don't care how they do

Clearly they took my advice and used some of my questions (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_NC_020712.pdf).

Q4 (Duke fans only) When Duke is playing a team
other than UNC, do you generally root for
them, root against them, or do you not care?
Root for UNC .................................................. 35%
Root against UNC........................................... 35%
Don't care .................................................. ..... 30%

Q5 (Dukefans only) Which of the following best
describes how you feel toward UNC: respect
them, don’t like them very much, hate them, or
don’t care about them?
Respect them.............................................. .... 49%
Don't like them very much............................... 22%
Hate them.............................................. ......... 16%
Don't care about them..................................... 12%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 1%

Q7 (UNC fans only) When UNC is playing a team
other than Duke, do you generally root for
them, root against them, or do you not care?
Root for Duke.............................................. .... 23%
Root against Duke .......................................... 36%
Don't care .................................................. ..... 41%

Q8 (UNC fans only) Which of the following best
describes how you feel toward Duke: respect
them, don’t like them very much, hate them, or
don’t care about them?
Respect them.............................................. .... 53%
Don't like them very much............................... 17%
Hate them.............................................. ......... 16%
Don't care about them..................................... 14%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 1%

And, even though I did not suggest it, I found this question to be very interesting--

Q13 Regardless of who you prefer in basketball,
would you rather have a child graduate from
Duke or UNC?
Duke ...................... .40%
UNC....................... .34%

-Jason "fun poll!" Evans

Bluedog
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice work Jason! I can understand some of the results, but this just boggles my mind:

[Roy] Williams at 51% favorable and 10% unfavorable

That's it?! And for all the hate that gets thrown Coach K's way by random people on the internet, 15% unfavorable for him sounds very low as well. I guess message boards/comments on sports articles are not very representative of the average North Carolina resident.

mkline09
02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
If I thought about this question I'd say a majority of the public is pulling for unc for various reasons. UNC has a larger alumni base, and when you figured in the Wal-Mart fan kingdom that the heels have then just on the sheer number of fans more are pulling for north carolina. Many have this misguided perception that Duke is an elitist institution where only rich northern white kids go. It isn't true of course but that doesn't stop the perception, and sometimes a large group's perception becomes a form of reality.

There are lots of perceptions out there about Duke. They get more fouls for starters. Forget it isn't true. I actually researched it for a piece I wrote a couple years ago and sure enough Duke wasn't called for a significantly less amount of fouls than their oppoents. I even compared the Duke-UNC series and in about 70 percent of the games (a little fuzzy on the exact percentage but it was high) Duke was whistled for more fouls. So that perception is the figment of Len Elmore and Billy Packer's imaginations. As well as whoever else wants to buy into it.

But I'd say that a larger portion of the public at least in north carolina and I'd wager the nation is pulling for the heels just because it is fashionable to hate Duke and it seems like no matter where you go you've got someone booing just the mere mention of the name.

But in the end I don't care. Proud to be a Duke fan, will flaunt it proudly and support the team win or lose. GTHC

UrinalCake
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a difficult time thinking that the NC State fan base is evenly divided on this game.

I was a little surprised by that too. My reasoning is that they pull for the underdog. Since UNC is favored this year, they responded to this particular poll by saying they're rooting for Duke, but in other years when Duke is ranked higher they'd pull for UNC.

-bdbd
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I was a little surprised by that too. My reasoning is that they pull for the underdog. Since UNC is favored this year, they responded to this particular poll by saying they're rooting for Duke, but in other years when Duke is ranked higher they'd pull for UNC.

I just thought they rooted for us BOTH to lose...

:rolleyes:

oldnavy
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I think the only time I pulled for the heels was in the game against Kentucky this year. Even then, when they lost I still felt kind of warm inside.

devildeac
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

(or are they still your enenmy?):confused:

Mike Corey
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I want Tar Heels to win at life but lose on the court.