PDA

View Full Version : Disrespectful Post by DBR

u2umark
02-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I am avid DBR reader and for the most part, I've really enjoyed reading post game comments here and the front page analyses. While we were all saddened by the lackluster performance by the team yesterday, I was shocked to read on the front page post, a baseless analogy to Nigerian scam emails. While it is indeed true that a small group of Nigerians (out of 180 million hard working citizens) send dubious emails out claiming to be princes, I find it utterly disrespectful and uneducated for an editor to make references like that in their article, perpetuating a belief that all Nigerians are dubious. The analogy serves no purpose in the article and disrespects Nigerians especially those that are actually princes (yes, they do exist).

I want to appeal to the editor to immediately make editions to their post and apologize to the Nigerian readers on this board. Please focus on your awesome sports analyses and comments rather than making needless references. Thank you.

-A Nigerian Duke graduate.

Neals384
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I want to appeal to the editor to immediately make editions to their post and apologize to the Nigerian readers on this board. Please focus on your awesome sports analyses and comments rather than making needless references. Thank you.

I, too, hope the reference can be removed from that article.

The comment wasn't really helpful to the article anyway. It's sad this stereotype about your country has been repeated so often, and especially embarrasing to see it on DBR.

Thank you for speaking out.

jimsumner
02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I am avid DBR reader and for the most part, I've really enjoyed reading post game comments here and the front page analyses. While we were all saddened by the lackluster performance by the team yesterday, I was shocked to read on the front page post, a baseless analogy to Nigerian scam emails. While it is indeed true that a small group of Nigerians (out of 180 million hard working citizens) send dubious emails out claiming to be princes, I find it utterly disrespectful and uneducated for an editor to make references like that in their article, perpetuating a belief that all Nigerians are dubious. The analogy serves no purpose in the article and disrespects Nigerians especially those that are actually princes (yes, they do exist).

I wrote that. The reference was to the countless emails allegedly from Nigerian Princes. I seriously doubt whether any of these actually come from Nigeria and I'm certain none of them come from Nigerian princes. The intended reference was to anyone gullible enough to actually believe these thinly-veiled attempts to get personal information. Not being from the U.S., you may be unaware that the whole thing has become something of a national punch-line. Most of us have received some variation of this email dozens, even hundreds of times over the last decade.

No one actually believes that these emails originate from Nigeria.

I could have used the tried and true "swamp-land in Jersey" and it would not have been an attempt to insult people from New Jersey.

There was no intent to insult Nigeria or any of its citizens. I apologize for the confusion.

u2umark
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I wrote that. The reference was to the countless emails allegedly from Nigerian Princes. I seriously doubt whether any of these actually come from Nigeria and I'm certain none of them come from Nigerian princes. The intended reference was to anyone gullible enough to actually believe these thinly-veiled attempts to get personal information. Not being from the U.S., you may be unaware that the whole thing has become something of a national punch-line. Most of us have received some variation of this email dozens, even hundreds of times over the last decade .

I could have used the tried and true "swamp-land in Jersey" and it would not have been an attempt to insult people from New Jersey.

There was no intent to insult Nigeria or any of its citizens. I apologize for the confusion.

Thank you for the clarification although there isn't any justification really for the reference. I am a US citizen and I am fully aware that it is becoming a "national punch-line". That is the troubling part and I am unsure why DBR should mindlessly feed into that. The fact that it is becoming a punch line does not warrant it's use. I am sure the folks from "swamp-land in Jersey" would be equally offended. Please kindly remove the reference. Thanks.

OldSchool
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
perpetuating a belief that all Nigerians are dubious

"Reggie Johnson–he’s listed at 280 pounds but if you believe that, you probably answer emails from Nigerian princes"

Actually, he was NOT perpetuating a belief that all Nigerians are dubious, only Nigerian princes.

u2umark
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
"Reggie Johnson–he’s listed at 280 pounds but if you believe that, you probably answer emails from Nigerian princes"

Actually, he was NOT perpetuating a belief that all Nigerians are dubious, only Nigerian princes.

Let's assume you are correct, is that still tolerable/excusable? Since you are not a Nigerian, you clearly do not understand the implications.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I believe Jim was referencing this, which for better or worse is part of pop culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_email_scandal#Nigerian_prince

I did not read any mal-intent into the reference or any broadbrush attack. It was a reference to an American cultural idiom for gullible -- like buying the Brooklyn Bridge, selling sea-front property in Nevada, etc. -- that did not intend to insult true Nigerian nationals or royalty.

You are correct to point out that DBR should not, and does not, abide with personal attacks against race, religion, or national origin (amongst other barriers). I think your response is understandable, but I respectfully suggest that there was no slight intended here. If offense was taken, that is a reminder to us all that each of our perception is based on subjective experience and should be respected.

And yes, it is unfortunate that this has become part of the culture. I am NOT implying otherwise.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
The Nigerian scam email (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/advancefee/nigeria.asp)(I get that the emails aren't coming from Nigeria) has been around longer than the DBR or Juliovision for that matter. I don't think getting incredibly offended about a famous spam email that's been around for over 20 years is particularly useful.

jimsumner
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I guess I could have used the technical term "advanced fee fraud." But if you google "advanced fee fraud" you'll find numerous references to the Nigerian prince scam.

The United States government issued a specific warning against the Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud http://www.state.gov/www/regions/africa/naffpub.pdf. Pretty sure they weren't trying to insult anyone.

Again, this is a common, even cliched, cultural reference that in no way, shape or form is intended as an insult to anyone from Nigeria. I would not have used the reference if I thought it would hurt anyone's feelings. But I find myself flabbergasted that anyone's feelings are hurt. Because it's not about anyone from Nigeria.

hurleyfor3
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
No one actually believes that these emails originate from Nigeria.

My understanding is the other way around -- that a plurality of the perpetrators ARE Nigerian but often claim to be in other countries, or claim the money is stuck in Nigeria but they're in another country, or something similar.

Most of the teevee shows I've seen about 419 scams certainly focus on Nigeria, showing people flying to Lagos, procuring large amounts of Nigerian currency and so on.

If this is truly not a problem in Nigeria (or not one any longer), I am curious to understand what sort of steps the Nigerian government has taken to inform people and/or punish the perpetrators that definitely do exist in Nigeria.

OldSchool
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Let's assume you are correct, is that still tolerable/excusable? Since you are not a Nigerian, you clearly do not understand the implications.

My own ethnicity is the subject of frequent stereotype and humor, often related to drinking whiskey. I'm thankful that at least we are not subject to the stereotype of humorlessness.

-jk
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I think all points have been made here.

-jk