PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 96, UNC 56

wandalee
02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Big game for the women tomorrow night at 7 in Cameron. As of tonight, there are still tickets available for $6. Come out and help us cheer on the ladies to a victory over the Holes. Maybe a good victory will inspire the men to kick butt in CH on Wed!

WakeDevil
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
What plans does the ACC have to screw up this series?

DownEastDevil
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
The women are putting on a clinic!! Let's see if they can keep it rolling.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
The women are putting on a clinic!! Let's see if they can keep it rolling.

A clinic in Cameron is delightful! Go Duke!:cool:

fh84
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I just hope the men play with this much effort on Wednesday. They are really running their butts off out there and it's paying off.
They clearly got into this game via the defense and then the shots fell. Great effort!
:o

WakeDevil
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
UNC is ranked and has an RPI of 101. Not a fan of the rating but something doesn't make sense.

burnspbesq
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
UNC is ranked and has an RPI of 101. Not a fan of the rating but something doesn't make sense.

They won't be ranked tomorrow. When you're in the 20s and you lose by 40, you're done.

chrishoke
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
96-56 how sweet it is. GTHC GTH.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Best game I have EVER seen the women play!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif GO TO HELL carolina! GO TO HELL! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

-bdbd
02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Great game ladies!!!

This fanbase really needed that sort of a result right now!!

:D :D :D :D

Mr.Analogy
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
96-56 how sweet it is. GTHC GTH.

40 point beat down of the goat clan!!! Who cares if its the men or women or if it's basketball or in swimming, a win over the tarholes is beautiful! :cool:

Way to get it done girls, a huge congrats!

MCFinARL
02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you ladies, way to 9F!

wandalee
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
A good 40 point drubbing of UNC sure helps take some of the ouch off of yesterday's game.

The ladies played great after the first 8-10 minutes. Total domination. Sylvia didn't bother to coach most of the 2nd half.
Great crowd, too. Almost full with a good student representation.

Elizabeth broke the ACC freshman blocks record tonight!

Raleighfan
02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
A good 40 point drubbing of UNC sure helps take some of the ouch off of yesterday's game.

The ladies played great after the first 8-10 minutes. Total domination. Sylvia didn't bother to coach most of the 2nd half.
Great crowd, too. Almost full with a good student representation.

Elizabeth broke the ACC freshman blocks record tonight!

There was a sizeable contingent of Carolina students in the Duke student section...all the better for watching the beatdown of their team by Duke! Nothing like up close and personal.

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
They won't be ranked tomorrow. When you're in the 20s and you lose by 40, you're done.

Not really. If losing at UConn by 50 and losing at home to Clemson, who has an RPI of 207, isn't enough to get you unranked, then I doubt this will...

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM

They only have 1 win against a ranked team (Miami - by 2 pts), which is also their only win against a team with an RPI above 25. Additionally, they have managed to beat UVa twice (one game was 2OT); the Hoos are unranked and have an RPI of 40.

Losses to: Penn State (by 19), Maryland, unranked South Carolina (by 31), UConn (by 51), Duke (by 40), and Clemson (RPI 207).

I have no idea why this resume deserves to be ranked...:confused:

burnspbesq
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
They're eating their young over at Inside Carolina.

Only one disappointing number in the box score: attendance 8595 (719 short of a sellout). We shot right around 55 percent from the floor (50 percent on threes), were plus-15 on the glass, held Carolina to around 30 percent from the floor, and forced 20 turnovers.

The best thing to watch was players moving without the ball to put pressure on the Carolina D. Where was that last Monday night?

Gonna watch this one again when I get home.

jimsumner
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
A week ago Tricia Liston looked like a deer in the headlights against UConn. Tonight she was a difference maker. Not just burying 3s but hitting the boards, handling the ball and playing solid D. Her best game at Duke, IMO. And Gray just stuffs a stat sheet. She has that "it" factor. It was her game.

So much of Carolina's game plan is forcing turnovers off their press and using their athleticism to score in transition. When that didn't work, they didn't have a Plan B. Shegogg was solid inside but they just don't have a lot of people who can score in the halfcourt. Handle their press and limit second shots and they become an ordinary team.

Kedsy
02-07-2012, 12:02 AM
I love watching this Duke team. Fantastic defense, nice diversified offense. Let's hope some of their karma rubs off on the men's team.

miramar
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
I have no idea why this resume deserves to be ranked...:confused:

I would assume that the voters go by history and figure that with a five-game winning streak they must be righting the ship, but it truly makes no sense. I'm sure that Sylvia will turn them into disbelievers sooner or later.

These results may also explain why Trisha Stafford-Odom went to the dark side. Did she see a job opportunity over there in the near future?

nocilla
02-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I love watching this Duke team. Fantastic defense, nice diversified offense. Let's hope some of their karma rubs off on the men's team.

Just curious, were any of the men's team at the game? It would help the karma/inspiration along if they witnessed the drubbing of UNC.

DukeGirl4ever
02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I love watching Chelsea Gray play. That girl can BALL! Anyone who says women's ball is boring needs to check her out.
Her court vision and handle are ridiculous. Can we recruit her for the men's team?

I can't wait to watch Chelsea and Elizabeth grow over the next 2 1/2 years. They are going to be something special.

killerleft
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
The last 12 minutes of the first half, the Duke women just put on a clinic. Cameron Indoor was rocking, the three-pointers were deadly, and the defense was stifling. What an adrenaline rush!

Yes, nocilla, at least two Devils were at the game, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton. I know to look for them behind the basket, so there may have been more somewhere else.

The funniest part of the game was when the Dukies were chanting the GTHC cheer. The Heel student section was getting a quick "We're here" in after the GTH. I thought to myself that, indeed, the game must seem like Hell when you're getting it beat out of you.

Chelsea Gray and Elizabeth Williams are serious ballers, but Tricia Liston lit up the scoreboard! Great team defense, Men take note! E for effort is the key.

jimsumner
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Just curious, were any of the men's team at the game? It would help the karma/inspiration along if they witnessed the drubbing of UNC.

I saw Hairston and Thornton, near the band. May have missed others.

CameronBornAndBred
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I saw Hairston and Cook. May have missed others.
John Henson was also there.
That was the best shooting and overall offense I've seen from the women in years, it was truly fun to watch. (It's usually fun..but with tinges of frustration too, lol)

dukeman28428
02-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Congratulations to our women's basketball team. Great effort last night vs unc
and the chemistry was the best that I have seen this year. This team has a really
good chance of being special as they continue to grow. Thanks for kicking the
tarheels last night ladies and keep it rolling. Cameron was almost full and more
fans need to come out and see the excellent basketball this group plays....GO DUKE

Raleighfan
02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I saw Hairston and Thornton, near the band. May have missed others.

I saw Nate James (yes, I know he's not ON the MBB team) in the end zone near the Duke team bench...in the first half at least. Looked like the Duke players mentioned stayed for the entire game.

jimsumner
02-07-2012, 11:56 AM
FWIW, Hairston and Thornton show up for lots of the games. It's not just Carolina.

I also see Murphy a lot. Did not see him last night. But that doesn't mean he wasn't there.

Dukehky
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
That game was freaking awesome. I was worried at the beginning when Liz couldn't seem to make a lay-up, but by golly did they get after it there. A lot of fun to watch even though Carolina isn't particularly good this year.

Dawkins was there as well. Typically the younger guys go to more of the games since they live in close proximity to one another and by nature are closer friends than the upper-classmen.

Jon Henson and Reggie Bullock were there, and to be perfectly honest, they were both troopers. At half-time there was a line out the door for pictures and autographs and such from both Duke and Carolina fans, and they were taking it like champs. When there is a rivalry like this, one tends to forget to acknowledge that members of the other team aren't awful people (except Hansbrough and Harry, they will never be welcome... ever). But big ups to Henson for pulling for his sister's team (he appeared to be anyways) even though she wasn't playing.

All that being said, "I dearly hope we beat their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. tomorrow"
-Bob Knight (although from his Texas Tech days, it still worked when the gun slingers beat Texas)

Class of '94
02-08-2012, 06:41 PM
That game was freaking awesome. I was worried at the beginning when Liz couldn't seem to make a lay-up, but by golly did they get after it there. A lot of fun to watch even though Carolina isn't particularly good this year.

Dawkins was there as well. Typically the younger guys go to more of the games since they live in close proximity to one another and by nature are closer friends than the upper-classmen.

Jon Henson and Reggie Bullock were there, and to be perfectly honest, they were both troopers. At half-time there was a line out the door for pictures and autographs and such from both Duke and Carolina fans, and they were taking it like champs. When there is a rivalry like this, one tends to forget to acknowledge that members of the other team aren't awful people (except Hansbrough and Harry, they will never be welcome... ever). But big ups to Henson for pulling for his sister's team (he appeared to be anyways) even though she wasn't playing.

All that being said, "I dearly hope we beat their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. tomorrow"
-Bob Knight (although from his Texas Tech days, it still worked when the gun slingers beat Texas)

Not to take anything away from the ladies because the played an awesome game against Carolina; but I hope our guys got love and attention to from the crowd. Sometimes you can take for granted the people that around you more than others.

On another note, I'd like to see this team take their mindset and mental toughness to another level against the elite teams. They did well for a while against UConn; but I still thought mentally they wree not as confident or truly believed they could beat UConn as evidenced by them rushing and missing shots they normally would make. Against Carolina and ACC teams like MD, you could tell they had the confidence and belief that they could be those teams. I want them to have it against teams like ND, Baylor and UConn. Hopefully the experinece they've gained during the regular season will give them the hunger and confidence to play well against those types of teams in the NCAA tournament.

MCFinARL
02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Not to take anything away from the ladies because the played an awesome game against Carolina; but I hope our guys got love and attention to from the crowd. Sometimes you can take for granted the people that around you more than others.

On another note, I'd like to see this team take their mindset and mental toughness to another level against the elite teams. They did well for a while against UConn; but I still thought mentally they wree not as confident or truly believed they could beat UConn as evidenced by them rushing and missing shots they normally would make. Against Carolina and ACC teams like MD, you could tell they had the confidence and belief that they could be those teams. I want them to have it against teams like ND, Baylor and UConn. Hopefully the experinece they've gained during the regular season will give them the hunger and confidence to play well against those types of teams in the NCAA tournament.

I'm sure you are right that part of it is confidence--and part of it may be that their offensive game, which has looked much better recently (except for the UConn game) than earlier in the season, is still too new to hold up against a truly excellent defense like UConn's.

On another note, good idea to bump this thread up as the men's game approaches!