PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Duke hosts Miami on Super Bowl Sunday with tip-off set for 3:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205373786&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/822173.pdf?ATCLID=205373786&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage will be provided by ESPNU with Jon Sciambi, Jimmy Dykes and Allison Williams handling the announcing duties.

jv001
02-04-2012, 09:29 AM
keep up the intensity and focus you showed against VT. I'm wondering if Josh and Tyler will start. My guess is they will if they have good practice sessions leading up to the game. Josh and Tyler may not have the natural physical ability of some of the other guys, but they always play with fire. No backing down from those two guys and it looked like it was contagious Thursday night. GoDuke!

davekay1971
02-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I'd love to do a detailed breakdown of the specific challenges and weaknesses Miami brings to the table, but this game seems all about Duke. That is to say, what are we bringing to the court today? Are we going to bring the intensity and focus we had against Va Tech? Because, if we do, we should win this game.

Okay, now an attempt to bring our opponent into the picture. Miami's defense is ranked 110 in Kenpom (hey hey, we improved all the way up to 89 after the VT game!). We should be able to get things done both inside and out, and I hope we focus on getting the ball in low. Reggie Johnson needs to get in foul trouble, and if the ball is consistently going inside to Mason and Miles in the first half, or if Austin is getting to the rim on penetration, Johnson's got a good chance to spend a chunk of this game on the pine. Miami's guards are talented, but Grant has been struggling (36% shooting on the year) while Scott has been underwhelming from the 3 (32%). If our perimeter guys can stay in front of those guards, and keep Miami out of the lane, their offense should struggle to score.

That's a few ifs, of course. But our big guys are capable of dominating inside against Miami, and our guards are capable of limiting their perimeter scoring.

Go Duke!

moonpie23
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
i'll be at the game today...mike patrick sent me tickets...:rolleyes:

Bob Green
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Kenny Kadji is having an outstanding season, but he is out indefinitely with a head injury. The 6'11" 250 pound center is averaging 12.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. If he does not play, Reggie Johnson will have his hands full defending our talented inside players. Johnson has had plenty of success against Duke in the past. Last season, he averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds in the two games against the Blue Devils. Of course, the key statistic is always the final score and Duke won both games by double digits.

Bob Green
02-04-2012, 09:23 PM
The Vegas line currently has Duke as an 11.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 148.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

So we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 80-68.

loldevilz
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
I would like to see:

Quinn Cook
Austin Rivers
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Mason Plumlee

I think that we can really run with that group and make some noise in march. Only a handful of teams can match the speed and firepower of that group.

-bdbd
02-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Am in northern VA and Coach Larranaga, formerly of Final Four participant George Mason here, is very well thought of in this area. His teams had a rep here of never quitting, and giving maximum effort. I don't follow Miami enough to know if that has translated to his new school. I hope that this doesn't become a "trap" game for Duke, with lots of discussion on-air already focusing on the NC@CH match-up coming up. I doubt it, as they seemed to finally find their mojo against VT. I WANT to believe that the focus and intensity are here to stay. Let's get em in a deep whole early, take the crowd out of it, and get the guys well rested for next week. This seems like a decent match-up for our side.

duke09hms
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I would like to see:

Quinn Cook
Austin Rivers
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Mason Plumlee

I think that we can really run with that group and make some noise in march. Only a handful of teams can match the speed and firepower of that group.

I think this projected lineup would be REALLY bad defensively, and that is the weakness of our team. Our defense just improved UP to #89 while our offense has been in the top 5 all year long.

sagegrouse
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
keep up the intensity and focus you showed against VT. I'm wondering if Josh and Tyler will start. My guess is they will if they have good practice sessions leading up to the game. Josh and Tyler may not have the natural physical ability of some of the other guys, but they always play with fire. No backing down from those two guys and it looked like it was contagious Thursday night. GoDuke!

Duke is at a position now where nine players are seeing significant minutes, and all nine have started at least one game. If the Miami game decides who starts in Chapel Hill, then there should be no letdown of effort against the 'Canes. I guess K will just throw the ball out there and see who wants it most.

Who will be in the starting lineup against the 'Canes? Will Ryan and Seth, both of whom played well (IMHO) in College Park, get the starting nod?

sagegrouse

bluedevilfan1998
02-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Hairston played really well in the V-tech game. I think he deserves to start again. Tyler Thornton is good defensively, and so he will probably start.

JMarley50
02-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Hairston played really well in the V-tech game. I think he deserves to start again. Tyler Thornton is good defensively, and so he will probably start.

I would like to see Josh start again too at least for one more game. The way he plays is contagious and hopefully the other guys are taking note of what K's expectations are. If some of the more physically gifted guys start coming out and playing with the fire and intensity that Josh brings every night we will be in good shape.

diveonthefloor
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Kenny Kadji is having an outstanding season, but he is out indefinitely with a head injury. The 6'11" 250 pound center is averaging 12.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. If he does not play, Reggie Johnson will have his hands full defending our talented inside players. Johnson has had plenty of success against Duke in the past. Last season, he averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds in the two games against the Blue Devils. Of course, the key statistic is always the final score and Duke won both games by double digits.

The Miami Herald is reporting Sunday that Kadji has been cleared to play. Apparently, Larranaga has been out with the flu, but is likely to be on the sidelines coaching anyway.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/05/2625260/miami-hurricanes-malcolm-grant.html

MCFinARL
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Am in northern VA and Coach Larranaga, formerly of Final Four participant George Mason here, is very well thought of in this area. His teams had a rep here of never quitting, and giving maximum effort. I don't follow Miami enough to know if that has translated to his new school. I hope that this doesn't become a "trap" game for Duke, with lots of discussion on-air already focusing on the NC@CH match-up coming up. I doubt it, as they seemed to finally find their mojo against VT. I WANT to believe that the focus and intensity are here to stay. Let's get em in a deep whole early, take the crowd out of it, and get the guys well rested for next week. This seems like a decent match-up for our side.

Sure hope this doesn't happen, since they are playing in Cameron!

-bdbd
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Sure hope this doesn't happen, since they are playing in Cameron!

Ooops. Thanks. My bad - had just read an article erroneously referencing the game being in Miami. I certainly like our chances better in CIS! ;)

But I'd still really like to see a big early lead and getting to play lots of depth, and resting some starters a bit...
This one feels like a decent match-up for us.

riverside6
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10555

gep
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
ESPN3 stuck on "buffering"????

edit... works on Google Chrome. was trying to use FireFox...

lotusland
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Too quick for TT and Quinn but he not a finisher so the bigs don't need leave their man to help. He's looking to pass when he penetrates.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
How in the world did we get Hess again already???!!!

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Ugh, we can't shoot today

Duke79UNLV77
02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Worst I've seen us play all year. To a man, except a few plays by Austin.

Cameron
02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
My oh my oh my.

:(

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Only Rivers came to play. Looks like everybody else was looking forward to the UNC game.
No rebounding, and we've turned into a 1-on-1 team, and we only have one player who can do that. Rivers. and he is playing well,
Our frontcourt is getting embarrassed.

MartyClark
02-05-2012, 03:42 PM
This is painful. We look slow.

Chris Randolph
02-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I have no excuses to make for this team. Disgraceful at this point. If anyone says "looking ahead to Carolina" is ridiculous. This team isn't good enough to look ahead one second in a game. What a joke this team is right now. Sooooo disappointed in the veterans of this team.

Turn it around Duke

_Gary
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Yikes. Hope the wheels aren't coming off entirely. On defense we simply cannot contain the opposing PGs (we haven't done that for most of the year, but it's getting worse instead of better), and it's just killing us every which way. And if it's not the point driving and dishing, it's us getting burned on backdoor cuts (it's happened at least twice here in the first half). I expect we'll make a run in the 2nd half and find a way to win. But overall I've seen the defensive lapses too many times this season. Not sure we have an answer to it at this point.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I am especially disappointed coming off the VT game. Can't believe that we have already reverted to such bad defensive form after 1 game. We might lose by 25 at this rate!

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
wow. This is looking like UNC FSU. We look that bad. If we can box out better and shoot better, we might only lose by single digits.

1 24 90
02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
23-6 run to end the half and not one timeout called? Really?

Mr.Analogy
02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Yikes. Hope the wheels aren't coming off entirely. On defense we simply cannot contain the opposing PGs (we haven't done that for most of the year, but it's getting worse instead of better), and it's just killing us every which way. And if it's not the point driving and dishing, it's us getting burned on backdoor cuts (it's happened at least twice here in the first half). I expect we'll make a run in the 2nd half and find a way to win. But overall I've seen the defensive lapses too many times this season. Not sure we have an answer to it at this point.

Wow, where did the intensity from the VT game go?

I hope K gets them fired up in the locker room.

I'm having FSU flashbacks....

CLW
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
This team is just too slow to play pressure defense. Either that or they are soft/have no heart desire on the defensive end.

Duke76
out a ghost...that last play was a great example...Mason standing straight up under the basket

wow. This is looking like UNC FSU. We look that bad. If we can box out better and shoot better, we might only lose by single digits.

loran16
23-6 run to end the half and not one timeout called? Really?

Are you knew here? This is what K does. Saves his TOs (except the 30 second) for the 2nd half. Regardless of what happens.

Meanwhile, I've seen better halves. Wish I was a fly on teh wall for that locker room.

hq2
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
This team gives us matchup problems; big horse to jam up the middle on D, quick players who
are good drivers. Reggie's got our inside game pretty much shut down. May be a long afternoon.

sagegrouse
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
. Wish I was a fly on the wall for that locker room.

I wish I had stayed on the ski slopes. -- sage

lotusland
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Totally dominaetd in the first half. Everyone except AR got whipped. Out-quicked, out-muscled out-shot and out-hustled. Hopefully good Duke comes out for the 2nd half.

_Gary
02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Defensively I'm not sure one Duke player deserves a passing grade in that first half. Just about everything I saw from both our frontcourt and backcourt was horrible on defense. And it really wasn't any better on offense, other than our one and only bailout which is Austin going one on one. Other than that, we didn't do much of anything positive on the offensive end in the first half. Nothing at all from our bigs on the few occasions they got the ball in the post. And since most of the guards appear to be "off" with their shooting touch from distance, I'm not sure we've got any answers.

You can bet K is going to give this team another tongue lashing, but at this point I don't know how much good it will do. He just played that card last week, and if this team can forget that so quicly and come out playing so passively and poorly, I don't know what buttons he has left to push. But one thing's for sure: it had better be a doozy of a button!

brumby041
02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
How in the world did we get Hess again already???!!!

Jimmy Dykes: "Maybe Mason traveled there because he was pulled down..."

How can Dykes see that from the rafters (and we can see it on TV) and Hess can't see it from 3 feet away?

Not that I'm blaming the refs for the poor play...but Miami really doesn't need any help.

ChicagoHeel
02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I missed the first half but a quick look at the box score indicates UM is doing a lot of damage inside. When we played them, Johnson really seemed to wear out in the second half. If the Plumbs can work him a little more, he might fade down the stretch.

nobodybutDUKE
02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Simply being outplayed in every facet of the game. No quality basketball from us at either end of the floor.
Tough task ahead to outscore another team by 15 in one half for a win. Will take an effort unlike any i have
seen us play against anybody this year. Hopefully something will click and the ghost of Duke past will rise.

1 24 90
02-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Are you knew here? This is what K does. Saves his TOs (except the 30 second) for the 2nd half. Regardless of what happens.

Meanwhile, I've seen better halves. Wish I was a fly on teh wall for that locker room.

Except that he didn't even use the "use it or lose it" timeout.

(I've been a fan for 22 years so, yes, I am used to him not using timeouts as much as Pete Gillen).

Cameron
This team should play the second half in their t-shirts. They don't deserve to wear Duke across their chest. I hope Coach K gives them a dress down to never forget.

Where in the hell is the fire, the energy, the anything? Are these kids even happy? A normally impassioned fan, I'm pretty much indifferent at this point. I don't know what to think.

Matches

You can bet K is going to give this team another tongue lashing, but at this point I don't know how much good it will do. He just played that card last week, and if this team can forget that so quicly and come out playing so passively and poorly, I don't know what buttons he has left to push.

This. K can only scream at these guys so many times. At some point they've got to internalize his message.

RoyalBlue08
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Obviously many many problems. The one that concerns me the most is the seeming lack of confidence. So many guys passing up open shots in the second ten minutes.

dukeforester
We cannot keep them from driving the lane. No defense.

JMarley50
Totally dominaetd in the first half. Everyone except AR got whipped. Out-quicked, out-muscled out-shot and out-hustled. Hopefully good Duke comes out for the 2nd half.

You can only exclude Austin from that on the offensive end. His defense has been just as bad as everyone else. Of course he did make time for his patent missed beyond nba range 3 on the break with a defender on him when we really needed a bucket.

Mr.Analogy
02-05-2012, 04:03 PM
You can only exclude Austin from that on the offensive end. His defense has been just as bad as everyone else. Of course he did make time for his patent missed beyond nba range 3 on the break with a defender on him when we really needed a bucket.

28 points in the first half? wow, is that a new Duke low?

Chicago 1995
02-05-2012, 04:03 PM
You can only exclude Austin from that on the offensive end. His defense has been just as bad as everyone else. If course he did make time for his patent missed beyond nba range 3 on the break with a defender on him when we really needed a bucket.

He's not a sterling defender, but he's better than three of our junior "leaders" in Curry, Kelly and Dawkins. Low bar, but still.

Bad shots? Sure. At least he makes some good ones too. Of the eight guys than played that half, seven were a bigger problem than Austin.

1 24 90
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
28 points in the first half? wow, is that a new Duke low?

Same amount as halftime at OSU. Hmm

RoyalBlue08
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Austin is by far the least of our problems.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Call it hyperbole if you want, but this second half coming up is key to the rest of the season. If we come out and fight - even if we lose - and I'll say we still have a chance to get better and grow. But, if we play the 2nd half like we played the first then the season's effectively over. I know we've debated on this board about what's wrong and talked about how spoiled Duke fans have gotten and surely, we have been somewhat spoiled, but this team just really seems to have no heart and no leadership. I don't recall seeing a Duke team (under K) that's been this passive and "wimpy". If we just lacked talent, then I'd say, "oh well, we're just not that good". But we all know that lack of talent is NOT the problem here. Well, we'll see what happens in the next 20 minutes...

Wildling
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Where in the hell is the fire, the energy, the anything? Are these kids even happy? A normally impassioned fan, I'm pretty much indifferent at this point. I don't know what to think.

Same feelings here. I'm in awe over the fact that these kids look like they just don't care. There is no passion in these kids eye's at all.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry, but Miami is not THIS good defensively. Come on guys, make a shot!!!!!

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone want to make a bet on how many wide open 3's we'll miss today? Ugh :mad:

CAT Blue Devil
02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Dykstra called - Mason is winded or something. Flat-footed and slow to get back. Very disappointing.

SouthPointDFan
Sorry, but Miami is not THIS good defensively. Come on guys, make a shot!!!!!

Duke is soft and slow today......

ChrisP
Clear the bench! Jeez, this team just doesn't seem to care. Johnson beating both our bigs down the floor and then we give up the "and 1"? I don't imagine I'll watch much more of this one. I have better things to do than watch Duke give up.

SilkyJ
02-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Dykstra called - Mason is winded or something. Flat-footed and slow to get back. Very disappointing.

Do these guys want to run suicides the rest of the season? they are playing with zero energy, not running back on D, not recovering to their man. this is pathetic.

slower
02-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Call it hyperbole if you want, but this second half coming up is key to the rest of the season. If we come out and fight - even if we lose - and I'll say we still have a chance to get better and grow. But, if we play the 2nd half like we played the first then the season's effectively over. I know we've debated on this board about what's wrong and talked about how spoiled Duke fans have gotten and surely, we have been somewhat spoiled, but this team just really seems to have no heart and no leadership. I don't recall seeing a Duke team (under K) that's been this passive and "wimpy". If we just lacked talent, then I'd say, "oh well, we're just not that good". But we all know that lack of talent is NOT the problem here. Well, we'll see what happens in the next 20 minutes...

If we follow up a loss today with a beatdown in Chapel Hill, I think you're right. But a loss today followed by a win in Chapel Hill (which, at this point, seems far-fetched) might be a positive turning point.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Ok, has anyone else noticed that even when the ball bounces to one of our guys on a rebound, it often caroms around to like 3 different players before someone corrals it? It's like we're nervous or something - just totally unfocused. I have never seen this.

CoachJ10
02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I just want our guys to play with some confidence this 2nd half.

ChrisP
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
If we follow up a loss today with a beatdown in Chapel Hill, I think you're right. But a loss today followed by a win in Chapel Hill (which, at this point, seems far-fetched) might be a positive turning point.

Love your optimism but I just don't think it's realistic to think we could win over there after this beat down today.

anon
02-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Clear the bench! Jeez, this team just doesn't seem to care. Johnson beating both our bigs down the floor and then we give up the "and 1"? I don't imagine I'll watch much more of this one. I have better things to do than watch Duke give up.

Ahhhhhhhhhh..... see ya!

trinity79
D-U-K-E

CoachJ10
I just want our guys to play with some confidence this 2nd half.

That is a start, Seth. Atta boy.

theAlaskanBear
02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
At work watching on ESPN3, chanting "Lets go Duke, Lets go Duke!" under my breath. We can do this.

slower
02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Love your optimism but I just don't think it's realistic to think we could win over there after this beat down today.

Hey, trust me, I don't EXPECT us to win there. I'm just sayin'...

Cameron
02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
There's that vigor again. Boys, please do not do this to my cardiovascular system.

Whew. Let's Go Devils.

slower
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
There's that vigor again. Boys, please do not do this to my cardiovascular system.

Whew. Let's Go Devils.

They should require a co-pay for these games.

JMarley50
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Somebody go take the lid off of the rim. We can't buy one.

trinity79
02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Every time one of our bigs gets an offensive rebound (which I admit is RARE) and puts it on the floor something bad happens? YET, our opponents take the ball down low and WE NEVER STRIP THE BALL from them! WHY? WHY? WHY?

theAlaskanBear
02-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Great block by Rivers. Man he came to play.

CoachJ10
9 boards for Austin...that is the kind of hunger we need.

Duke79UNLV77
We've countered Miami. Now, if we can just counter Karl Hess. 16 fouls to 9. At home. UNC NEVER has to deal with that.

DukeCrow
02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
These in-game threads are painful to read.
Everyone stop your whining and support the team.
Wow.

diveonthefloor
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Is Karl Hess the long lost cousin of Mike Nifong?

JMarley50
02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Hess and crew are trying their best to stop the comeback...

MartyClark
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
These in-game threads are painful to read.
Everyone stop your whining and support the team.
Wow.

With all due respect, I don't see this as whining. How would you describe the play in the first half?

trinity79
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
redux

MartyClark
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Austin is the man.

trinity79
02-05-2012, 04:55 PM
just made up for some earlier misses

CoachJ10
02-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Kelly got hammered by Johnson! Come on, man...

davekay1971
02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Any doubt who Duke thinks is our go-to guy to take that critical shot?

theAlaskanBear
02-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Ot baby! Duuuuuuukkkkkeeee!

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:00 PM
This game has gone from disappointment to statement.

Tons of heart to come back from 14 down. Austin Rivers emerged as a leader. Defense stepped up. Win or lose, should be proud of the effort turnaround.

Ggallagher
Great job by Miles to man up on Johnson at the end of regulation.
Go DUKE

theAlaskanBear
with Kadje out we need to hammer it inside during OT, with our guards and our bigs.

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Kelly got hammered by Johnson! Come on, man...

No kidding. No idea how Johnson only ended up with 3 fouls in regulation. At least Kadji fouled out...

trinity79
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
usually wins

davekay1971
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Gotta make those free throws.

We just got Hessed at both ends of the court...

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Gotta make those free throws.

We just got Hessed at both ends of the court...

Amazing how Reggie Johnson gets away with those pushes in the back all game long, but gets the call when it happens to him.

snowdenscold
Missed 5 of our last 6 free throws... ouch.

At least Kelly gave us a sliver of hope here.

theAlaskanBear
Amazing how Reggie Johnson gets away with those pushes in the back all game long, but gets the call when it happens to him.

To be fair, to move Reggie you have to push really really hard.

davekay1971
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Huge shot by Kelly, but we dug ourselves a hole at the free throw line. Gotta make 'em.

DukeCrow
02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Kinda wished in OT that we kept pressuring them with traps like we did to get back into the game in the 2nd half. Miami didn't seem to have an answer for that.

Of course, K knows best.

davekay1971
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Make your free throws!

Cannot win when you miss them. Not in a tight game.

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Missed FTs. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

snowdenscold
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
0 for 6 for FT's in overtime??!?!

And what was that Quinn??

trinity79
02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
blame 0-for-6

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
No excuse for missing 6 FTs. None.

CoachJ10
call a timeout, K!

DukeCrow
Honestly, why no TO on the possession where Cook through up the prayer?

FerryFor50
02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Honestly, why no TO on the possession where Cook through up the prayer?

He tried to call it. Hard to call one when the official is ignoring you.

trinity79
02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
not looking good for Wed. night