PDA

View Full Version : Austin May or May Not be Planning to Consider Contemplating Staying or Leaving

MHNOLADevil
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I read this AR quote in the News & Observer's story about the game:

“We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.

MCFinARL
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM

“We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.

Well, I see where you are coming from, but I think it might make more sense to say it is a statement from someone who, at this time, isn't really thinking about what might happen after this season, rather than someone who is, or isn't, planning on leaving after this season. He is in the moment--which is right where he should be.

Devilsfan
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard out of NV.

Kedsy
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard our of NV.

I don't know. If we'd only going to get one year of Shabazz, why not have one year of a sophomore Austin, instead?

Having said that, I don't think the quote mentioned by the OP means much of anything. I certainly wouldn't read into it that Austin plans on staying.

ScreechTDX1847
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM

I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.

MHNOLADevil
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.

The fact that he refers to the seniors (Miles) and says "That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.” He doesn't refer to himself in that category of those who won't play in Cameron again.

Look, I prefaced my post with the understanding that I shouldn't read too much into this. I agree with MCFinARL when he says that this may just mean Austin is in the moment. Either way, it's all good. I also agree with Kedsy. I'd take a sophomore year of Austin any day over one freshman year with Shabazz.

Starter
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Personally, for what it's worth, at this point in time, I think Rivers stays. I don't think anyone would have assumed that a possibility before the season, but he's mostly projected in the 20 range. He's getting better, and might raise his stock a whole lot in workouts and if he has a big tournament. But as of now, he's no sure bet for the lottery. This is also a loaded draft, with all the guys who came back because of the lockout last year. I'd think he'd want to stay, have a big sophomore season and sweep into the Top 10, at least. But there's a lot of time between now and when he'd have to make that decision.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I honestly haven't seen enough from Rivers that tells me he is ready for the next step. I love having him on this team, so this statement is not a knock on him, it's just my assessment. There is obviously another month-plus left of basketball that he could change my mind, but to me it would be a mistake if he were to take off after this season. He is not Kyrie by a long shot. IF he goes, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding minutes. I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.

dcar1985
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Personally, for what it's worth, at this point in time, I think Rivers stays. I don't think anyone would have assumed that a possibility before the season, but he's mostly projected in the 20 range. He's getting better, and might raise his stock a whole lot in workouts and if he has a big tournament. But as of now, he's no sure bet for the lottery. This is also a loaded draft, with all the guys who came back because of the lockout last year. I'd think he'd want to stay, have a big sophomore season and sweep into the Top 10, at least. But there's a lot of time between now and when he'd have to make that decision.

Agree 100% There's a lot of basketball left to be played and maybe he plays lights out and there's no question whether he's going to leave or not....but right now I wouldn't call Austin a lottery lock in what should be a deep draft class, and I seriously doubt he comes out without being assured to go lottery. Plus he could really use another year...

UrinalCake
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I also think he'll stay, at least as of now. He's shown tremendous talent but also has a lot to work on, especially if he wants to be a PG at the next level (which I would presume he does). The quoted comments don't say anything to me except he's being thoughtful towards his teammate, which isn't a bad thing.

nocilla
02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't know if he is staying or not and I don't think those quotes tell us anything significant.

I thought I heard one of the announcers in the Maryland game say that they didn't think Doc would let him come out this year because he wasn't ready yet. I don't remember who the announcer was. At the time it was pretty surprising to me because I had always assumed that he was one and done without question. Did anyone else catch that?

Greg_Newton
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
What position would Austin even get drafted for? If it's SG, I wouldn't even draft him in the first round right now if I were a GM. He's been getting much better at distributing the ball lately, but I think he's going to really show that he has the vision and wherewithal to play PG in the pros before he's a lottery pick. And it's probably going to take another year.

The great thing is that if he leaves, that instantly puts us in great shape for Bazz. No guarantee, but it's not like Mason, where him leaving would (will...) inevitably really hurt our 2013 team. If Austin decides to go, best wishes and hope we get Shabazz...

Tappan Zee Devil
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't know if he is staying or not and I don't think those quotes tell us anything significant.

I thought I heard one of the announcers in the Maryland game say that they didn't think Doc would let him come out this year because he wasn't ready yet. I don't remember who the announcer was. At the time it was pretty surprising to me because I had always assumed that he was one and done without question. Did anyone else catch that?

I remember a discussion by announcers at some game (probably Maryland) where they said that either Austin or Doc (probably Doc) had said that he could have gone to a school where he would be "The Man" and get 20-25 shots a game, but he came to Duke because he wanted to be coached and to grow. I do not remember anything specific about a sophomore year.

Jim

53n206
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Too many blocked shots when taking it into traffic. Much improved on kicking out. Would probably be best to stay and refine.

Starter
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
What position would Austin even get drafted for? If it's SG, I wouldn't even draft him in the first round right now if I were a GM. He's been getting much better at distributing the ball lately, but I think he's going to really show that he has the vision and wherewithal to play PG in the pros before he's a lottery pick. And it's probably going to take another year.

The great thing is that if he leaves, that instantly puts us in great shape for Bazz. No guarantee, but it's not like Mason, where him leaving would (will...) inevitably really hurt our 2013 team. If Austin decides to go, best wishes and hope we get Shabazz...

I think he'd go in the first round, but probably low- to mid-20s. It's hard to say, someone could fall in love with his talent and pedigree and he lands in the mid-teens or something. Guys move around a lot in the weeks and months before the draft. But I think you could throw darts all over the map for him.

Just a hunch: Just after talking to him a couple weeks ago, I don't think Duke's getting Shabazz regardless. Nothing concrete I have or anything, just a feeling I have. But I was very excited to hear today that they're stepping up their pursuit of Noel. (Wrong thread, I know)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
K will advise him honestly. What more could he, or anyone, ask for? :cool:

azzefkram
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
He's excellent at getting to the rim but seems to have a tough time finishing. I'd imagine this situation would be worse at the next level. Another year of coaching and working out could probably help. While he still can be out of control at times, his decision making has vastly improved over the course of the season. He would appear to have more to gain by staying another year as I would be surprised if he was a lottery pick this year.

dukelifer
02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I honestly haven't seen enough from Rivers that tells me he is ready for the next step. I love having him on this team, so this statement is not a knock on him, it's just my assessment. There is obviously another month-plus left of basketball that he could change my mind, but to me it would be a mistake if he were to take off after this season. He is not Kyrie by a long shot. IF he goes, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding minutes. I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.

Well he can look at Nolan Smith. Other than a greater upside for Austin given his age- their games are fairly similar and Nolan is having trouble finding minutes. And it won't just be K advising him- Dad will have a huge say as well.

CharlestonDevil
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Riv has a lot of improving to do, particularly in the way of strength and conditioning along with decision making. He won't be blowing by people in the NBA and even if he does he will have to finish against someone like Dwight Howard. I think we can all picture the outcome of that.

But bottom line, he shouldn't be thinking about ANYTHING but this season/the next game. Obviously K is keeping him focused, and that's exactly the way things should be.

BluDvlsN1
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm attaching a link to an article about Austin!
I think it tells a lot about him and how he thinks!
He admits that the adjustment to college ball has been tough!
He certainly wants to grow as much as possible, I remember a comment from a few games ago,
Where it was mentioned the reason he's at Duke is to be "coached"..

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/acc/wb/304279

Good insight into Austin!

I think odds are in favor of him staying..IMO

evanb
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
i just get that feeling that rivers is gone. sulaimon will compete for minutes in the three headed 2 guard spot. mason will leave too because he is what he is, another year at school wont give him a 14ft jump shot. marshall will give us minutes and 5 fouls at that spot. murphy comes in and gives us a real small forward, splitting time with michael.

Dukeface88
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
mason will leave too because he is what he is, another year at school wont give him a 14ft jump shot.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. This past year gave him a hook shot and some post moves. Heck, this past fortnight or so seems to have given him a free throw shot (knock on wood).

Starter
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
i just get that feeling that rivers is gone. sulaimon will compete for minutes in the three headed 2 guard spot. mason will leave too because he is what he is, another year at school wont give him a 14ft jump shot. marshall will give us minutes and 5 fouls at that spot. murphy comes in and gives us a real small forward, splitting time with michael.

And this year's draft class is what IT is -- presumably far deeper than next year's. I have a feeling Mase is going to go too, but I wouldn't be completely certain about it.

Rich
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM

How about an NBA coach for a father?

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Beat me to it. It's not like Austin won't have a good idea of how he would fare if he came out or not.

Let's see how he does from here to the end of the season and then worry about it, eh?

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Thread title changed to more or less accurately reflect the stated or implied insinuations make or evoked by the OP related to the quoted text. Or not.

superdave
02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Austin is currently ranked #22 on Chad Ford's top 100. He was about 10-12 a few months ago. I think Austin would benefit from some more time at point to showcase that to the scouts, but that's not going to happen in Duke's guard-heavy rotation.

I'm not sure anything has changed from last summer when the Duke coaches were reported to believe they would have Austin for only a year.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Austin may or may not consider eating or not eating at the CI or U Room today or tomorrow, depending.

I don't think he's ready, but his gut may tell him otherwise.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Austin may or may not consider eating or not eating at the CI or U Room today or tomorrow, depending.

I don't think he's ready, but his gut may tell him otherwise.

Hey! That's rumor mongering!

MHNOLADevil
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Thread title changed to more or less accurately reflect the stated or implied insinuations make or evoked by the OP related to the quoted text. Or not.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why the thread title changed. Reading between the lines can be interesting and in this case seemed like a good conversation provoking subject, which it proved to be. Best of all, here in Denver where a foot of snow has already fallen, this thread has aided my procrastination from shoveling the sidewalks and while I was procrastinating, someone showed up at my front door who needed the work and offered to do it for $10. Thanks, DBR.

MCFinARL
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM

LOVE the title change--it says it all!

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey! That's rumor mongering!

I don't think you can prove that.

DukeFanSince1990
02-03-2012, 05:27 PM

I have found people either love the title change, hate the title change, or think its alright.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
I have found people either love the title change, hate the title change, or think its alright.

I am nonplussed.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Best of all, here in Denver where a foot of snow has already fallen, this thread has aided my procrastination from shoveling the sidewalks and while I was procrastinating, someone showed up at my front door who needed the work and offered to do it for $10. Thanks, DBR.

We didn't even get an inch up here on the other side of the tunnel.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I am nonplussed.

I have nothing to add, either.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.

I was answering the question posed by CB&B, not saying who else did he have to go to for advice and guidance. I stand by my answer and the phrasing to the question asked. I'm saying K won't blow smoke up his butt, anymore than he has since Austin arrived in Durham last summer. He'll get an honest, informed opinion from a most knowledgeable source, someone he trusts (almost as much as he trusts his father).

throatybeard
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Austin Rivers sounds like a golf course.

Someone, I want to say it was Fuzzy Zoeller, but it probably was not, was in SI's "they said it." Before Tiger Woods was famous, I mean he was a little famous, but it was like the first season he was mildly famous as an amateur. They asked one of the rank and file dudes on the tour what they thought about Tiger Woods.

"I don't know--I haven't played there yet."

BD80
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I am nonplussed.

But you seemed gruntled

Dukeface88
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I am nonplussed.

What was confusing?

-bdbd
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Geez, if only he had some other place to go for good advice on the NBA. Any ideas??? :confused:
Hmmmmmmm.

;)

BTW, I don't think 'baz and Rivers are necessarily mutually exclusive. Yes, they have some similar penetration skills (but also some different ones), but technically play different college positions - SF vs SG - and I sure would love to see K figuring how to use them both in the same offense. Just wow!

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
But you seemed gruntled

Did you just dis- me?

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
What was confusing?

I am in relative equipoise as to the matter in question, ergo my equivocation.

stixof96
02-03-2012, 08:28 PM
i would be shocked if rivers turned pro........he is not even close to that level yet.....

MartyClark
02-03-2012, 08:47 PM
We didn't even get an inch up here on the other side of the tunnel.

15" in Douglas County. Warm house, DBR, life is good.

I'd love to see Austin and Mason stay. I'd guess that the odds are slightly better that Mason stays but who knows?

strawbs
02-03-2012, 09:14 PM

i could be wrong but i don't think it was the maryland game. Dan shulman and bob knight did that one. I'm pretty sure it was mike patrick who made the comment during the st johns game. I remember when he said it thinking that he was talking out of his rear end. I would love it if austin's father advised him to stay another year (which he does need), and patrick made his comment so matter of factly. I believe he said something along the lines of "he'll be back another year, no way doc lets him leave school".
I can't take anything patrick says seriously though, he's terrible at his job. You have to remember that he is the man who once said this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfs6LNk7Po

Steven43
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I think he'd go in the first round, but probably low- to mid-20s. It's hard to say, someone could fall in love with his talent and pedigree and he lands in the mid-teens or something. Guys move around a lot in the weeks and months before the draft. But I think you could throw darts all over the map for him.

Just a hunch: Just after talking to him a couple weeks ago, I don't think Duke's getting Shabazz regardless. Nothing concrete I have or anything, just a feeling I have. But I was very excited to hear today that they're stepping up their pursuit of Noel. (Wrong thread, I know)

Duke is 'stepping up' their pursuit of Noel? I had heard that Noel had not reciprocated our interest in him previously. Has that changed?

Ggallagher
02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Beat me to it. It's not like Austin won't have a good idea of how he would fare if he came out or not.

Let's see how he does from here to the end of the season and then worry about it, eh?

Four or five weeks ago, Coach K's weekly TV show focused on Austin entirely. During that program Doc expressed one of the nicest compliments I've ever heard of Coach K. Doc and Austin were both asked about Austin's decision to come to Duke. Doc's response was, "I coached Grant Hill. I know what kind of person and player comes out of this program. I'm very happy that Austin's at Duke". I think I'm pretty close to the exact quote - it was certainly the sentiment.
And it really seemed to me that Doc's response was the answer of both an NBA coach AND a father. My impression from that was that Doc wouldn't feel bad at all if Austin decided to hang around another year or so.

dcar1985
02-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Duke is 'stepping up' their pursuit of Noel? I had heard that Noel had not reciprocated our interest in him previously. Has that changed?

As of today....Yes

DUKIE V(A)
02-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Wow...I think this comment is way underselling Mason...Mason is quite a player already but my guess is that he can and will improve quite a bit. He has made a ton of growth since his freshman year.

Some of the other comments on this thread Re: Rivers are frustrating to read. I feel that some of us are taking Austin's very strong play for granted. He's a freshman and is playing some outstanding basketball. This just in: You don't have to be Kyrie to be good (or even to be a first round pick --there were 29 guys not named Kyrie that were first round picks last year). Austin has worked hard and is steadily improving his game on both ends of the floor. He is leading the team in scoring, is tough, and makes bigtime plays in the clutch. I love the kid.

I believe both Austin and Mason could benefit from another year at Duke and would not be surprised if they came back. I think it could help their draft stock some and it would certainly help Duke. That said, if they decide to go pro they will in all likelihood be first rounders.

Steven43
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Austin is currently ranked #22 on Chad Ford's top 100. He was about 10-12 a few months ago. I think Austin would benefit from some more time at point to showcase that to the scouts, but that's not going to happen in Duke's guard-heavy rotation.

I'm not sure anything has changed from last summer when the Duke coaches were reported to believe they would have Austin for only a year.

I find it difficult to believe Austin would consider going pro after his freshman year. Yes, Austin is a good ball handler, has a great first step and can get past just about anyone, rebounds decently, is competitive, is learning to drive and dish to an open teammate, and can get hot from deep; however, he needs to work on his defense, finishing at the basket, free throws, midrange game, (heck, his shooting form in general), passing, court awareness, and his tendency to try and play hero, which often leads to difficult, forced shots. I am a big Austin Rivers fan and I have enjoyed watching him mature as a player, but he has a bit further to go before he can be a top 10-15 draft pick.

As an aside, has he had even one dunk in a regular season game while at Duke? If he has, I haven't seen it, though I have missed about 15% of our offensive plays. The highlight reels I watched when he was in high school showed him throwing it down regularly and with ferocity. I expected him to be able to attack and finish like Gerald or Dahntay. I hope he can figure out a way to attack and finish consistently before he leaves Duke.

johnb
02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
imho, I don't think the decision will be based on whether Austin or Mason develops some new skills or breadth or whatever but rather whether they kick serious butt in the tournament. if either hits for a couple of 25-30 point games after the first weekend, he'll have shown stardom and will be a first rounder and will go. maybe I'm just remembering dunleavy, but Austin, mason. and kyrie are all guys who don't need NBA money but are driven to get there and will if guaranteed to be top 20 picks.

Scorp4me
02-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Think they might consider returning for a run to the title thinking they'd have a good shot? Course Carolina's players might tell them that doesn't always work out, lol.

With MP1 leaving would MP3 still being around have any bearing on MP2's decision?

Kedsy
02-03-2012, 11:02 PM
maybe I'm just remembering dunleavy, but Austin, mason. and kyrie are all guys who don't need NBA money but are driven to get there and will if guaranteed to be top 20 picks.

Well, Kyrie and Dunleavy were top 3 picks, so I'm not sure where "top 20" came from.

Back in September, both Austin and Mason appeared to be planning to go pro at the end of the season, and the coaching staff appeared to be preparing accordingly. Have things changed? I'd say no. Austin is our leading scorer and Mason is playing like an All-Conference (if not All-American) player. So unless one or both of them simply change their mind(s), I'd expect them to leave.

Kedsy
02-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Think they might consider returning for a run to the title thinking they'd have a good shot? Course Carolina's players might tell them that doesn't always work out, lol.

Or Duke's 2011 seniors...

With MP1 leaving would MP3 still being around have any bearing on MP2's decision?

Doubt it.

ncexnyc
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Let's see. Do I want to learn how to play the game under possibly the greatest college coach of alltime or do I want to learn my craft, while getting paid millions of dollars? Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I'll have to get back to you.:rolleyes:

As we saw with Henderson and Dunleavy, money has nothing to do with it. If a kid likes where he's at then he'll stay it's that simple. Is Austin's game perfect? No, he has several areas he could use some work, but he's definitely going to be an NBA player and a good one at that. A great deal of the NBA draft process is about potential and this kid has it in spades.

Mason has shown excellent improvement. Again, he could use some more work on his game, but he's a 1st rounder without a doubt. I don't know how he feels about playing with his younger brother and haven't seen anything posted about that. He might want that opportunity or he may feel leaving would give Marshall a lot more playing time.

All I can say is that I'm sure these young men will focus on the task at hand, which is to do the best they can right now.

freedevil
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
The title of this thread is awesome.

HateCarolina
02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
imho, I don't think the decision will be based on whether Austin or Mason develops some new skills or breadth or whatever but rather whether they kick serious butt in the tournament. if either hits for a couple of 25-30 point games after the first weekend, he'll have shown stardom and will be a first rounder and will go. maybe I'm just remembering dunleavy, but Austin, mason. and kyrie are all guys who don't need NBA money but are driven to get there and will if guaranteed to be top 20 picks.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about their play in March (and hopefully April). I'll take it a step further and remind us all how happy we will be if both or either Mason or Austin play to their full potential for us this year and go pro. While it would be great to have them back I'll be wishing them the best if they can kick some butt for us through the end of this season.

On a related note the title of this thread is epically AWESOME!! Oh yeah, Go Duke and GTHC!!

moonpie23
02-04-2012, 10:10 AM
doc has been almost gushing about how improved his kid is from playing for K........i'd say that doc would give Austin good advice regarding leaving or staying....

not saying austin would TAKE the advice, but, you gotta admit, doc has cred when he speaks about it...

personally, i think he stays.....he wants to dominate and that's exactly what he will do next year in college....

yancem
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
As an aside, has he had even one dunk in a regular season game while at Duke? If he has, I haven't seen it, though I have missed about 15% of our offensive plays. The highlight reels I watched when he was in high school showed him throwing it down regularly and with ferocity. I expected him to be able to attack and finish like Gerald or Dahntay. I hope he can figure out a way to attack and finish consistently before he leaves Duke.

I believe he has had a couple of break away dunks, but I have been thinking the same thing. I can't tell is he is taking off too far from the basket or isn't getting the right openings or just prefers the acrobatic layup, but it has amazed me how often he is able to get to the basket and not get a dunk. I don't think that he has quite the hops that G or Jones have but he should be able to get as high as Nolan or Jason Williams and they routinely got to the rim for dunks.

53n206
02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Austin is improving. We have games left and he is on course to get even better. Even as a projected draft pick in the mid 20's what advise might Doc give him if a few good NBA coaches, who presumably will have picks at that level, tell Doc that they will pick Austin and help him develop?

weezie
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Let's see. Do I want to learn how to play the game under possibly the greatest college coach of alltime....

Whaddya mean 'POSSIBLY?

OldPhiKap
02-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Austin is improving. We have games left and he is on course to get even better. Even as a projected draft pick in the mid 20's what advise might Doc give him if a few good NBA coaches, who presumably will have picks at that level, tell Doc that they will pick Austin and help him develop?

Austin has the talent to be a lottery pick at some point. If he is this year, that's one thing. If he is not, I imagine Doc would tell him to stay in school, develop in college, and then get the big contract when you come out as a lottery pick.

It is harder to develop as a pro if you're not on the floor in games, and a #20 pick is probably playing behind someone.

ThePublisher
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
AR will stay at least one more year. No doubt he needs the development, Doc knows it.

hq2
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Back in September, both Austin and Mason appeared to be planning to go pro at the end of the season, and the coaching staff appeared to be preparing accordingly. Have things changed? I'd say no. Austin is our leading scorer and Mason is playing like an All-Conference (if not All-American) player. So unless one or both of them simply change their mind(s), I'd expect them to leave.

I'd say it's a tossup right now; depends on where they're projected. Don't see either one as any more than a mid-late first rounder right now. Both have obvious areas they need to work
on: Mason, jump shooting and free throws, Austin, strength, decision making and offensive variety (needs a better stop and pop). I'm betting both of them will consider
that they'd likely be spending time on the bench or in the D league (Mason most likely; see McBobs. who was at a similar stage when he left), and will come back to improve their
skills and draft position.

Mike Corey
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
There is nothing definitive about Austin Rivers' intentions--other than winning--at this point.

Let's just enjoy every game we've got him. He's a special talent, and he has special things to do with his teammates as this season continues to unfold.