PDA

View Full Version : ACC Schedule Changes

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Of course with the newbies, things gotta change.

When Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC, each school in the conference will have one primary partner: Boston College and Syracuse; Clemson and Georgia Tech; Duke and North Carolina; Florida State and Miami; Maryland and Pitt; NC State and Wake Forest; Virginia and Virginia Tech.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/story/10684468/

JNort
02-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow Syracuse get BC? I know that is really the only match up they good reasonably get but dang... poor BC is gonna get leveled by Cuse year in and year out. I like the Maryland and Pitt match up though I could see that bringing in a bunch of good games over the years.

davekay1971
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't get this at all. The ACC is:

Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Ga Tech
Clemson
Maryland
Virginia.

Clearly the guy who wrote the article is confused, including all those Big East teams in there.

Oh well, back to focusing on our non-conference game against football power Miami this weekend before our big matchup with Deano and the Tarheels...

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
From the article:

In basketball, teams will play a nine-game conference schedule with each team playing all six in its division each year, plus its primary crossover partner each year and two rotating opponents from the opposite division. The schedule will run on a six-year cycle.

I think by "basketball" the writer means "football". So easy to confuse the two, I realize.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
From the article:

I think by "basketball" the writer means "football". So easy to confuse the two, I realize.
Who is our out of division permanent partner if football? Wake Forest?

WakeDevil
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Any administration that would end the home/away UNC/NC State basketball series because a group of coaches want "equity," whatever the hell that means, should be shown the door. And if Krzyzewski thinks this, he must be all right with destroying the basis for this league.

We have three schools within short bus rides of each other. They should be playing each other as much as possible. But now, instead of driving to Raleigh, let's go to the basketball hotbeds of Boston and Miami.

Yow mentioned something about "inventory" in her interview with the N&O. I'm too ignorant to understand what that means. Let's not forget that MD has lost its rivalry with Va under this format. MD and Pitt are now "rivals." It's beyond asinine.

Fletch
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
As a State fan, this is killing me. The ACC has truly lost its soul. First, State loses the home-and-home with Duke. Now with UNC. In exchange we get to go to snowy Syracuse or play in front of 20 fans in Boston. Wonderful!

Duvall
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Yes, Wake Forest. (http://www.theacc.com/genrel/020312aaa.html)

The Atlantic and Coastal divisions will remain the same with Syracuse joining the Atlantic and Pitt joining the Coastal. The current primary crossover partners will remain consistent with Syracuse and Pitt becoming primary crossover partners with each other.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Yes, but since UNC is in the same division, we also play them every year.

In basketball, UNC will be our only permenant partner, so the Duke-Maryland "rivalry" will go the way of Duke State.

Overall, I agree that it's criminal what has happened in the ACC. UNC-Wake, Duke-State, State-UNC should be playing once a year in football and twice a year in basketball ... EVERY YEAR.

sagegrouse
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
When Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC, each school in the conference will have one primary partner:

Boston College and Syracuse;

Clemson and Georgia Tech;

Duke and North Carolina;

Florida State and Miami;

Maryland and Pitt;

NC State and Wake Forest;

Virginia and Virginia Tech.

I have to say that this is not a bad set of permanent rivalries -- given the constraint that there be (proper use of subjunctive?) one and only one permanent rival for each team.

Four-Star
Duke-UNC
UVa-Va Tech
Miami-FSU

Three-Star
UMd-Pitt
Ga Tech-Clemson
Wake-State

I left out one -- the BC vs. Syracuse match-up, which could be Five-Star. This is the Jesuit Boston College of Beantown, full of feisty Southies, against the Protestant (originally Methodist) Syracuse Orange. (ORANGE! Them's fighting words!). There should be compulsory fistfights before each game.

sagegrouse

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
If State, Maryland and Wake aren't going to get any better, I'm far happier playing Pitt and Syracuse instead.

Yeah, playing State twice was fun. When Jimmy V was coaching State. Twenty years ago.

Duvall
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Can't we all just celebrate a 33% reduction in the number of trips Duke has to make to College Park? That alone makes this announcement good news.

toughbuff1
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Looks like we won't be playing the Terps twice a year every year due to expansion.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-terps-to-play-pitt-not-duke-twice-each-basketball-season-20120203,0,5061238.story

arnie
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Can't we all just celebrate a 33% reduction in the number of trips Duke has to make to College Park? That alone makes this announcement good news.

Won't it be once every 3 years instead of every year - 66% reduction? Even better celebration.

Jderf
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Won't it be once every 3 years instead of every year - 66% reduction? Even better celebration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it would be twice every three years (once during the year when we play them only at college park, and again during the year when we have a home-and-away). Still good news to me, one less trip to the only NCAA basketball locale where ESPN has to bleep out the crowd's chants.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue.

Instead of six times in a three-year period, we would play the terps four times -- twice one year, once two years. Four versus six, one-third fewer games.

-bdbd
02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I took this announcement as bad news for out football team, as I'd not realized the conference was going to play a 9-game conference slate in FB. For teams like VaTech and FSU it won't matter, but for the lesser FB powers like Duke, Wake, BC, and State, who annually aspire to 6 wins and a bowl invitation, things just got a little tougher. That's b/c we are going from 4 non-conference opponents to just three. And while Duke hasn't done it lately, many teams pad their annual win total with 3-4 patsies for non-con games in Sept. and early-Oct. Put another way, the minimum number of conference wins required to make it to a bowl just went from 2 to 3. Or maybe view it this way: we just switched from playing FIU to playing Pitt every year (you get the idea).

One of my hopes had been that Duke would get a handle on its FB scheduling and set up more winable non-con opponents, at least in some years (you can't play Bama, Stanford or Notre Dame every year!). So on those occasional 4-patsy years we'd only need to win 2 conference games to get a bowl invitation - certainly doable.

But, then again, Pitt and Syracuse haven't excatly been FB powerhouses a lot in the last 6+ years.... So maybe there's still hope... :rolleyes:

uh_no
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I took this announcement as bad news for out football team, as I'd not realized the conference was going to play a 9-game conference slate in FB. For teams like VaTech and FSU it won't matter, but for the lesser FB powers like Duke, Wake, BC, and State, who annually aspire to 6 wins and a bowl invitation, things just got a little tougher. That's b/c we are going from 4 non-conference opponents to just three. And while Duke hasn't done it lately, many teams pad their annual win total with 3-4 patsies for non-con games in Sept. and early-Oct. Put another way, the minimum number of conference wins required to make it to a bowl just went from 2 to 3. Or maybe view it this way: we just switched from playing FIU to playing Pitt every year (you get the idea).

One of my hopes had been that Duke would get a handle on its FB scheduling and set up more winable non-con opponents, at least in some years (you can't play Bama, Stanford or Notre Dame every year!). So on those occasional 4-patsy years we'd only need to win 2 conference games to get a bowl invitation - certainly doable.

But, then again, Pitt and Syracuse haven't excatly been FB powerhouses a lot in the last 6+ years.... So maybe there's still hope... :rolleyes:

I was gonna say....i'm not sure its so bad for us since we're gaining two largely mediocre schools (though pitt has had good teams). They are probably about the quality of the teams we might have played ooc anyway (meaning we'll end up replacing our toughest OOC game)...so i'm not sure our average sos will be that much higher

SCMatt33
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
This is pretty much what I expected it to be. The southern 8 teams pretty much paired themselves off (unless you're a State fan). The problem comes with what to do with the northern 6. Syracuse could have been paired with Pitt for a better competitive match-up, or with BC for geography, as they are the closest to Boston by well over 100 miles. While Pitt-Cuse would be a great match-up every year, it would have been too tough to force anyone else to make the trip to Boston every year. That leaves the two Virginia schools, Maryland and Pitt. I figured they would leave the in state rivalry because of geography, but you could have made an argument for the two original ACC teams and the two former Big East teams being paired.

As for the football side, does anyone know what the league will do to help teams that may have already scheduled 4 non-conference football games for 2013 or beyond, or will teams just be on their own to get out of contracts?

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
From some local news station in DC....

"The riots on Route 1. The watch parties at Bentley's. The "Duck Fuke" T-shirt promotions. All of these are a part of what makes this matchup so special."
How the hell do riots and obscene shirts make the matchup "special"? How about more like "makes their fanbase an embarrassment".
I did however like the next line....

And even though Duke students could care less about the University of Maryland,

:D
http://wusa9.com/sports/article/188746/25/Terp-Talk-Maryland-Duke-Rivalry-Takes-a-Hit

devildeac
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
From some local news station in DC....
How the hell do riots and obscene shirts make the matchup "special"? How about more like "makes their fanbase an embarrassment".
I did however like the next line....

:D
http://wusa9.com/sports/article/188746/25/Terp-Talk-Maryland-Duke-Rivalry-Takes-a-Hit

"Not our rival"

clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

WakeDevil
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
All I want to know is whether the Duke athletic officials went along with the destruction of the league as we know it.