PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Forum

KYtotheCore
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Legitimate question - Just wondering . . . what makes you pick this forum as opposed to the other Duke site? Is there a line of demarcation between the two? UK fans, despite (due to?) their passion as a fanbase rarely agree on anything, but pretty much stay on the same site to battle it out. :confused:

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
It feels more like a conversation here than on many fan boards where flaming out is the order of the day. While the discussions can become heated, there is usally a level of civility which is respected and perpetuated among us.

KYtotheCore
02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
It feels more like a conversation here than on many fan boards where flaming out is the order of the day. While the discussions can become heated, there is usally a level of civility which is respected and perpetuated among us.

I've noticed that. It's enviable. Do the posters here feel that the other board breeds a less-than-ideal representation of the same fanbase?

throatybeard
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I used to post on The Devil's Den a lot but lost interest when the visual format changed and got, IMO, less user-friendly.

I still respect TDD because, at least when I posted there, the board was a lot more WBB-literate and FB-literate than this board.

weezie
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I love TDD but I just, shallow as I am, think the posters at DBR are better looking.
At least our women here are.............:cool:

devildeac
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I love TDD but I just, shallow as I am, think the posters at DBR are better looking.
At least our women here are.............:cool:

Link?

;)

OldPhiKap
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Link?

;)

I still cherish the "Women of DBR Calendar" and have it hanging proudly in the office.

As to why I post here, DiBD said it better than I could (per usual). Nothing against other sites.

orrnot
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree with Throaty. TDD is the place to go for our under-represented major sports. Desperate heartsick football-first fans need to gather somewhere.

It's a lot more like the rest of the NCAA world over there. That can be reassuring when you get tired of the sea of smug here. On the other hand, DBR is where genius is likely to emerge. DBR is more like the Duke I know and love, TDD like the Duke fans you enjoy talking with in bars.

What they have in common: a pompous dude from way back who thinks that if we replace both of our stadiums the campus will once again overflow with tall chick-scopin' men's men from the coal mines of Pennsylvania.

OldPhiKap
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
What they have in common: a pompous dude from way back who thinks that if we replace both of our stadiums the campus will once again overflow with tall chick-scopin' men's men from the coal mines of Pennsylvania.

For the record, I do NOT suggest we replace both of our stadiums. I simply suggest that we play our basketball outdoors in Wally Wade, and retrofit Cameron to play football there. Like John Kilgo suggested to me right after the Bassett Affair.

I look forward to your retraction. Posthumously for me, unfortunately.

-- Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell, a/k/a (very)OPK.

throatybeard
02-02-2012, 11:03 PM

FormerDukeAthlete Walkin!

Greg_Newton
02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
TDD is fun for constant chatter - busier and younger demographic. BDN is great for info. DBR's the best place to go for non-childish basketball discussion with people that understand the game, though.

Also, it seems like a much higher percentage of DBR posters (myself not included), actually attended Duke, for what that's worth.

Faustus
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd also add that I find the daily ACC Roundups as a real lifeline as to what's going on in the rest of the conference, game times and stations, etc. This is Bball Central for me and I check it a lot, year round. I don't even look at TDD, I must confess, although I'll look at State and Wake and UVa boards (gave up on Inside Carolina some time ago as it drove me into Incredible Hulk-like rages which did me no good). Most these other sites are full of punks trying to score points off each other which, as total strangers to each other, seems completely idiotic to me. This board is quite civil for the most part. Many posters even use complete sentences and punctuation. Not sure if for many people this is a compliment or not, but in my opinion where most of these sites are the cable "news" shows of loud pointless shouting and no one actually listening, DBR is more like PBS News.

moonpie23
02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
more like family...

cf-62
02-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Everybody has nailed it fairly accurately, but I'll add that you can tell a difference in the titles of threads between the two. Over here, you won't see any thread titled "5 most over-rated ACC players" or "10 UNC players you love to hate" or other garbage like that. Hey, for TDD (or Inside Carolina, ...) it works, but here the discussions are simply about basketball.

Not to say that the occasional accusation of somebody being a punk doesn't happen, but it's usually within the context of the game or other discussion.

Of course, the best thing about the board is the "Duke vs. Kentucky" thread. You should check it out while your over here. It might give you something to do this weekend.

ricks68
02-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Everybody has nailed it fairly accurately, but I'll add that you can tell a difference in the titles of threads between the two. Over here, you won't see any thread titled "5 most over-rated ACC players" or "10 UNC players you love to hate" or other garbage like that. Hey, for TDD (or Inside Carolina, ...) it works, but here the discussions are simply about basketball.

Not to say that the occasional accusation of somebody being a punk doesn't happen, but it's usually within the context of the game or other discussion.

Of course, the best thing about the board is the "Duke vs. Kentucky" thread. You should check it out while your over here. It might give you something to do this weekend.

Great last line.:) When the season is over in April (for us) I've got a great Texas BBQ update on the 2 newest BBQ hits here in Texas. For now, however, it's all about bball for me (Although, my arm could be twisted by anyone venturing to the Austin area anytime soon.)

ricks

ricks68
02-03-2012, 01:47 AM

We also just don't automatically "hate" another player because they play for the one team that is our rival or "hate" another player because they play for a team that is "not our rival". We respect excellent play by good kids. I guess you could say that our disdain for players is reserved for jerks, not matter what team they play for. (Although when one chooses to play for the disgusting shade of blue down the road, that is enough to usually put them in the "jerk" category.)

This is a basketball board that knows what good basketball is, and the discussions are usually by well-informed rational people. Sure, we get the occasional flamer, but it is not the norm like on so many non-Duke forums---because we are Duke!;)

ricks

RockyMtDevil
02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
As much as I have kicked against the board monitors, there presence has weeded out a lot of folks that only come to boards to vent. The strategy has worked very well to create a rather consistent community of voices with whom one can build relationship with. Also, this strategy has led to a higher than average user intellect, leading to more insightful posts and less flaming, etc..

The direction, objectives and strategy put in place by DBR have led to this and they should be commended.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
We also just don't automatically "hate" another player because they play for the one team that is our rival or "hate" another player because they play for a team that is "not our rival". We respect excellent play by good kids. I guess you could say that our disdain for players is reserved for jerks, not matter what team they play for. (Although when one chooses to play for the disgusting shade of blue down the road, that is enough to usually put them in the "jerk" category.)

This is a basketball board that knows what good basketball is, and the discussions are usually by well-informed rational people. Sure, we get the occasional flamer, but it is not the norm like on so many non-Duke forums---because we are Duke!;)

ricks

This board is also a good place to rediscover our football program and keep up with the football news. While the board began with a basketball focus (much like Duke at the time), I appreciate that other sports are discussed here with similar civility and knowledge.;)

jjasper0729
02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
more like family...

Does that mean DBR is equivalent to the Olive Garden? mmmm... breadsticks

SilkyJ
02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I agree with Throaty. TDD is the place to go for our under-represented major sports. Desperate heartsick football-first fans need to gather somewhere.

It's a lot more like the rest of the NCAA world over there. That can be reassuring when you get tired of the sea of smug here. On the other hand, DBR is where genius is likely to emerge. DBR is more like the Duke I know and love, TDD like the Duke fans you enjoy talking with in bars.

I don't read every thread, but seems to me we haven't heard from FDA or duketaylor in a while...

JNort
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Main reasons I come here compared to TDD:

-The whole board is neater and more clean looking.

-You do not see the same thread more than once usually (some exceptions)

-This board does not have a bunch of threads about UNC and which players we do not like on our own team

-CIVILITY!!! Most people on here (including Wheat and other non Duke fans) bring a more civil point of view and if it gets a little out of hand the mods step in fast.

superdave
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't read every thread, but seems to me we haven't heard from FDA or duketaylor in a while...

And Jumbo. (sad face)

devildeac
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Don't know FDA but saw duketaylor a week or two ago. He's busy getting ready/in shape for the senior PGA tour if I heard him correctly. Seriously.

Li_Duke
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I mostly read rather than post, but I come here over other boards because
1) posters here are generally very knowledgeable about basketball, make intelligent posts, and are civil to one another.
2) less rampant rumors, more substantive information
3) mods do an excellent job of keeping everything organized

throatybeard
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, another problem with TDD when I lost interest is that there were way too many UNC fans raising Cain, at least on the MBB board. Not so much on the WBB or FB boards.