PDA

View Full Version : Nerlens Noel Reclassifies for 2012

KYtotheCore
02-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Likely to take # 1 spot.

http://www.nationofblue.com/nerlens-noel-changes-2012-10469/

Bluedog
02-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Why do you say he'll be ranked #1 ahead of Shabazz? I don't know if he will or not, but that'd be mightily impressive. He's certainly a major talent and was the only guy people considered to be even close to contention with Jabari Parker for the #1 spot in the class of 2013. Most seem to think he'll go to 'Cuse, UConn, or UK, but who knows with these types of recruitments. Certainly makes things interesting moving up a year.

KYtotheCore
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Why do you say he'll be ranked #1 ahead of Shabazz? I don't know if he will or not, but that'd be mightily impressive. He's certainly a major talent and was the only guy people considered to be even close to contention with Jabari Parker for the #1 spot in the class of 2013. Most seem to think he'll go to 'Cuse, UConn, or UK, but who knows with these types of recruitments. Certainly makes things interesting moving up a year.

Yeah, it should be an interesting pursuit. I saw on another link he would likely take the #1 spot. I can't help but think about the line from Fletch where Chevy Chase says he's (6'10"?) with the afro.

Greg_Newton
02-02-2012, 12:29 AM
It's just not fair for UK to hire - er, get - Davis and Noel in consecutive years. :mad:

Really wish we had a shot at this guy, but we're not for everyone...

KYtotheCore
02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
It's just not fair for UK to hire - er, get - Davis and Noel in consecutive years. :mad:

Really wish we had a shot at this guy, but we're not for everyone...

I've read a few articles where he like 'Cuse. In this video, his friends say UK, but don't think I ever heard it from Noel himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWGnwlXvx0&feature=player_embedded

FireOgilvie
02-02-2012, 12:33 AM
ESPN already has him at the number 1 spot for 2012.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports//basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

tommy
02-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Some rate Noel and Anthony Davis as the two best shot blockers playing basketball today. Including pro basketball. I don't know about that, but for respected people to say that . . .

And it's a little hard to see Noel pulling the trigger for Syracuse given that they already have Fab Melo and DaJuan Coleman, both of whom are pure post players.

If things go as they have for the last several years, he'll end up at Kentucky. Terrence Jones and Anthony Davis out, Nerlens Noel in. The beat will go on . . .

JNort
02-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Some rate Noel and Anthony Davis as the two best shot blockers playing basketball today. Including pro basketball. I don't know about that, but for respected people to say that . . .

And it's a little hard to see Noel pulling the trigger for Syracuse given that they already have Fab Melo and DaJuan Coleman, both of whom are pure post players.

If things go as they have for the last several years, he'll end up at Kentucky. Terrence Jones and Anthony Davis out, Nerlens Noel in. The beat will go on . . .

Id give that honor to Brittany Griner of Baylor

gam7
02-02-2012, 01:51 AM

If so, we'd get an early up-close and personal look - we play Kentucky in the Champions Classic next year.

ChicagoHeel
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
It seems that most people think he will go to UK. I did notice that he listed UNC among the schools he will be visiting. I'm not sure how serious he is about us and vice versa. We have no available scholarships, although we would if/ when Henson and Barnes go pro.

Olympic Fan
02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
It seems that most people think he will go to UK. I did notice that he listed UNC among the schools he will be visiting. I'm not sure how serious he is about us and vice versa. We have no available scholarships, although we would if/ when Henson and Barnes go pro.

Chicago,

How are you counting Stilman White's scholarship?

I know that when players are redshirted, they still count against the 13-scholarship limit. But what happens when a player leaves on a two-year Mormon mission? Will White count against the 13-scholarship limit while he's gone? I don't know that rule.

Actually, I doubt that there's any problem. Scholarship limits are virtually meaningless as UConn proved this year. Doe to NCAA penalties (one for cheating, two lost for academic shortcomings), they were supposed to be down to 10 scholarships. But when Andre Drummond wanted to come as an 11th guy, low and behond they found a way to get around the limits.

I doubt UNC gets in the Noel mix (because I doubt Roy gets in a bidding war with UConn and Kentucky), but the scholarship crunch is not going to be a factor.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Likely to take # 1 spot.

http://www.nationofblue.com/nerlens-noel-changes-2012-10469/

That was grammatically painful to read. It amazes me when people bother to take the time to write "articles" for the internet, yet don't take even a quick minute to do some self editing.

sagegrouse
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Chicago,

I know that when players are redshirted, they still count against the 13-scholarship limit. But what happens when a player leaves on a two-year Mormon mission? Will White count against the 13-scholarship limit while he's gone? I don't know that rule.

Actually, I doubt that there's any problem. Scholarship limits are virtually meaningless as UConn proved this year. Doe to NCAA penalties (one for cheating, two lost for academic shortcomings), they were supposed to be down to 10 scholarships. But when Andre Drummond wanted to come as an 11th guy, low and behond they found a way to get around the limits.

I doubt UNC gets in the Noel mix (because I doubt Roy gets in a bidding war with UConn and Kentucky), but the scholarship crunch is not going to be a factor.

(a) SW is not enrolled in school.

(b) Therefore, he cannot be receiving a scholarship.

He doesn't encumber (ooohh!) any of the 13 scholarships available for men's basketball.

sage

Kfanarmy
02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Let's put her on the NBA court and see...really look forward to the matchup with Dwight Howard.

ChicagoHeel
02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Chicago,

I think you're right. If by some miracle he starts to show interest in us, we'll find a way around the scholarship issue. In any case, it's very unlikely that Barnes and Henson will be back, so we'll have a couple spots opening up. Actually, this issue is addressed in ESPN today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball/post/_/id/4484/hoopsbag-unc-edition-9

JNort
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Let's put her on the NBA court and see...really look forward to the matchup with Dwight Howard.

Why would you do that? She is a female and plays against female players....

Turtleboy
02-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Why would you do that? She is a female and plays against female players....Then there's some kid on a playground somewhere who's the best shot blocker of all time.

slower
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Well, some would say that YOU opened that door when you compared her to Davis and Noel. Apples to apples and such.

Kfanarmy
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM

well you did reply to a post

Some rate Noel and Anthony Davis as the two best shot blockers playing basketball today. Including pro basketball...

with

indicating she is the best shot blocker "playing basket ball today. Including pro basketball..." no?

JNort
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
well you did reply to a post

indicating she is the best shot blocker "playing basket ball today. Including pro basketball..." no?

Yes but I thought it would mean relative to competition. If Anthony Davis is called one of the best shot blockers in the country, then why not add Brittany Griner? We do not know how Noel will fare at doing it in college, or how Anthony Davis will fare in the NBA because he is not there, same as Griner but they all three dominate their individual sport at blocking shots and of the three Griner does it the best. That is all I meant, relative to where they play now Griner is the best at it.

dukedoc
02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
@TheDevilsDen
Sounds like Coach K talked to @NerlensNoel3 very recently. Duke making a push with the likely No.1 overall player in 2012?

Not going to get excited about this as it seems very unlikely that we'll swoop in and woo Nerlens at this stage, particularly given that our earlier advances were not well reciprocated. K is probably just covering all his bases in making contact, but who knows...

Li_Duke
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
If we don't get him (likely), I'm hoping he goes to Syracuse over Kentucky, UConn, or UNC. Boeheim seems like a decent sort and at least he's close friends with Coach K.

JNort
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Hmm sounds kinda strange to me. I thought we already talked to him and he was just not interested. Why go back to him again? Unless K has a new pitch to swing him, or he has let someone know he might be interested now.

JNort
02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
If we don't get him (likely), I'm hoping he goes to Syracuse over Kentucky, UConn, or UNC. Boeheim seems like a decent sort and at least he's close friends with Coach K.

And it will help the ACC ;)

gam7
02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Noel blog entry posted this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/2871/nerlens-notebook-back-to-2012

Relevant to us: "I’ve definitely had some players hitting me up since I reclassified. The first player to hit me up was Rasheed (Sulaimon), who’s going to Duke. He was basically just talking about how there would be an open spot for me to come to Duke and how he wanted me to come join him. That’s definitely something I would look at. Duke has been in contact with me, but I haven’t heard from them in a little while."

Starter
02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I saw Noel in person a couple weeks ago. Man, is he legit. I wouldn't expect Duke to be able to sweep in and steal him if he has a definitive list in place and they're not on it, but I'd be giddy at the thought. More so even than Shabazz -- who is terrific in his own right -- Noel can truly change the face of a team and program. I'd easily prefer him over either Shabazz and Parker, and possibly the two of them, based on the unique skill set he'd bring, particularly for a team that isn't a defensive force this season and may lose their top two shot blockers.

dukedoc
02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I thought this was an interesting tweet from Goodman. Any of our resident experts know the status between us and Nerlens? I know we've made contact, but perhaps not much more than that.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanCBS
Nerlens Noel also said he'd like to hear more from Duke. Hadn't heard much from K and his staff.

Faison1
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought this was an interesting tweet from Goodman. Any of our resident experts know the status between us and Nerlens? I know we've made contact, but perhaps not much more than that.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanCBS
Nerlens Noel also said he'd like to hear more from Duke. Hadn't heard much from K and his staff.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to me that Mason is going anywhere after this season. Which isn't a bad thing.

UrinalCake
02-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't want to get too far off topic here but I think Mason plays out of position at the 5 when Kelly is in the game. Getting to play alongside a true center would be great for Mason (though I don't know for sure that Noel is a true center...)

duke09hms
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't want to get too far off topic here but I think Mason plays out of position at the 5 when Kelly is in the game. Getting to play alongside a true center would be great for Mason (though I don't know for sure that Noel is a true center...)

At 6-10, 215 it doesnt seem like Noel can be described like a "true center." But hey, Anthony Davis is 6-10 220 so it can definitely be done. Besides, it looks like Marshall is the one filling out to be our 5 next year. A nice 5 man rotation of Mason, Ryan, Marshall, Josh, and hopefully a big man recruit would definitely be sufficient in the post.

If Mason decides to leave, man we better hope we can pick up an elite post recruit like Noel or maybe Parker or else we are going to get our lunch eaten in the post.

Greg_Newton
02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Just FTR, Noel measured at a 6'11.5" with a 7'3" wingspan last summer - not sure what his weight is up to by now, but he's a big guy, and he plays really big.

Duke4life92
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Just FTR, Noel measured at a 6'11.5" with a 7'3" wingspan last summer - not sure what his weight is up to by now, but he's a big guy, and he plays really big.
He is the real deal i do believe but 1.5-2.0 inches of that height measurement is the kid'n'play haircut-:D

-bdbd
02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
At 6-10, 215 it doesnt seem like Noel can be described like a "true center." But hey, Anthony Davis is 6-10 220 so it can definitely be done. Besides, it looks like Marshall is the one filling out to be our 5 next year. A nice 5 man rotation of Mason, Ryan, Marshall, Josh, and hopefully a big man recruit would definitely be sufficient in the post.

If Mason decides to leave, man we better hope we can pick up an elite post recruit like Noel or maybe Parker or else we are going to get our lunch eaten in the post.

I agree 100%, but got blasted on the 2012 Recruiting board for suggesting same. I don't savor the idea of entering 2012-2013 with Ryan as our only experieced "big/interior player" (6'8" or taller). Maybe a team like Miami with a couple of HUGE interior guys - note 'big' to me means more than just weight, it connotes height/length and a willingness to bang, rebound (and as Greg points out - wingspan) - will convince some otherwise less-concerned folks of this vulnerability. Frankly, I'd take any inside guys that we could get at this late date - AJ or NN. Very unusual that a kid of this size/talent level is still on the market, obviously due to his shift in classes, and still available this late...

No doubt this kid is big, talented. Let's hope that he likes the idea of a MAJOR program with a HUGE need for interior help next year and almost guaranteed significant PT, where he'd obviously make an immendiate impact, with tons of exposure and meaningful games well into March.

Kedsy
02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
A nice 5 man rotation of Mason, Ryan, Marshall, Josh, and hopefully a big man recruit would definitely be sufficient in the post.

Sufficient? Do you really think Coach K would play a five man rotation for the 4 & 5 spots?

duke09hms
02-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Sufficient? Do you really think Coach K would play a five man rotation for the 4 & 5 spots?

Considering Josh plays the 3/4, I'd say yes 80 minutes can easily be split between 5 guys.
2010 - Brian (19 mpg), Lance (25 mpg), Mason (14 mpg), Miles (16 mpg), Ryan (6 mpg) = 80. And that's not even counting Kyle who played the 4 at times when we went big. BAM!

Even if we miss on our post recruits for 2012, we'll be okay if Mason comes back for that year, but in later years that will hurt with only Josh, Alex, Mike, and Marshall + freshmen. With only Marshall seeming like someone willing to bang.

The importance of landing at least 1 post player in this year's class will truly be felt in 2013-2014. A 2012 player most likely won't start/make a huge impact next year although adding another big body to the rotation is important. It's going to be 2013-2014 when we look back and wish we had gotten at least 1 post guy this year.

Sahoosan
02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Sure hope we can sign at least one big guy this year!

We certainly look thin up front next year.

Kedsy
02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Considering Josh plays the 3/4, I'd say yes 80 minutes can easily be split between 5 guys.
2010 - Brian (19 mpg), Lance (25 mpg), Mason (14 mpg), Miles (16 mpg), Ryan (6 mpg) = 80. And that's not even counting Kyle who played the 4 at times when we went big. BAM!

Well, if you're counting a guy who averaged 6 minutes, and only 3+ minutes in ACC play, then why not throw in Steve Johnson (1.7 mpg) and say we played 7 guys? And "BAM!" for that weak argument? Please.

Not only that, 2010 was one of the deepest big man rotation we've played, because we only had four perimeter players for three perimeter positions. We had to play four bigs just to have an eight man rotation (and we only played a seven man rotation in close games, so either Andre or Mason or Miles played minimal minutes in those games). Next year we'll have Seth/Andre/Quinn/Tyler/Rasheed/Alex/Michael (and maybe Austin) on the perimeter. Even assuming K goes to a 9 man rotation, unless you count Alex or Michael as a big, our big man rotation likely won't be more than three.

And if one of those three is Mason, he'll probably take 30 of the 80 minutes himself, and Ryan will probably get 25 to 30 too, leaving only 20 to 25 minutes combined for Marshall, Josh, and the hypothetical freshman. In that scenario, they can't all three play enough minutes to be considered part of the rotation.

And since Josh has never to my knowledge played the 3 in an actual college game, and certainly won't start playing the 3 next year with all the perimeter guys we'll have, I don't know how you can say he's a "3/4."

The importance of landing at least 1 post player in this year's class will truly be felt in 2013-2014. A 2012 player most likely won't start/make a huge impact next year although adding another big body to the rotation is important. It's going to be 2013-2014 when we look back and wish we had gotten at least 1 post guy this year.

This I completely agree with.

duke09hms
02-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Well, if you're counting a guy who averaged 6 minutes, and only 3+ minutes in ACC play, then why not throw in Steve Johnson (1.7 mpg) and say we played 7 guys? And "BAM!" for that weak argument? Please.

Because Ryan's 6.5 mpg (1/6th of the game) >> SJ's 1.7 mpg. And I believe Kyle at times played the 4 either at end-of-game situations or when the bigs were in foul trouble.
Also, nowhere did I say 5 is necessary for a post rotation. My exact words were "A nice 5 man rotation of Mason, Ryan, Marshall, Josh, and hopefully a big man recruit would definitely be sufficient" Definitely be sufficient as in more than enough. Not really seeing what you're trying to argue here my man.

Larger picture: A post recruit in this class is essential because:
1. In 2013-2014, we're going to be stuck with Marshall as the only true banger. No knock on Marshall here, but I'm thinking we're gonna need more than one big body in the post rotation. FAR from ideal.
2. In the likely event Mason leaves, 2012-2013 would leave SR Ryan and RS FR Marshall as the only two post presences. Serviceable but not ideal.

C'mon Mason, come back and play with Marshall.
C'mon K, recruit a big kid this year w/ Rasheed.

tommy
02-07-2012, 01:35 AM

You don't think K has been recruiting bigs for the 2012 class? Kidding, right?

duke09hms
02-07-2012, 01:42 AM
You don't think K has been recruiting bigs for the 2012 class? Kidding, right?

I know he has but unfortunately to no fruition yet. Last candidates are Tony Parker, Amile Jefferson, and Nerlens Noel. Amile seems like our best shot at one. And we've made Tony our #1 priority since forever.

Starter
02-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Just for the record, having seen him play live recently, if Nerlens Noel isn't a legit college center, nobody is.

-bdbd
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Because Ryan's 6.5 mpg (1/6th of the game) >> SJ's 1.7 mpg. And I believe Kyle at times played the 4 either at end-of-game situations or when the bigs were in foul trouble.
Also, nowhere did I say 5 is necessary for a post rotation. My exact words were "A nice 5 man rotation of Mason, Ryan, Marshall, Josh, and hopefully a big man recruit would definitely be sufficient" Definitely be sufficient as in more than enough. Not really seeing what you're trying to argue here my man.

Larger picture: A post recruit in this class is essential because:
1. In 2013-2014, we're going to be stuck with Marshall as the only true banger. No knock on Marshall here, but I'm thinking we're gonna need more than one big body in the post rotation. FAR from ideal.
2. In the likely event Mason leaves, 2012-2013 would leave SR Ryan and RS FR Marshall as the only two post presences. Serviceable but not ideal.

C'mon Mason, come back and play with Marshall.

duke09hms, I really agree. At a minimum it is a real vulnerability for 2012, and maybe beyond. (The "and beyond" part I'm a little less worried about b/c we are already going after some bigs in the HS 2013 class and will surely grab at least one quality big there, perhaps even the top PF in the class (who we're very "in" on).) The latest I'd heard was that MP3 was a bit of a project - has anybody seen anything more recent on his progress?? So we're left to hope that RK can maybe beef up some and essentially man the post singlehandidly next year. As you said, "not ideal." Let's hope that MP3 has developed into a "rotation player" by then, or one of the 6'7 -6'8" kids has turned into more of a banger by then. In the short term, I'd be thrilled to pull in any quality "big" recruit that we can, whether it be AJ, or apparent long-shots TP or NN. Wow - if we could get Noel at this late a date, wouldn't that be a tremedous need-filler! Hopefully he sees the opportunity to play a pivotal - excuse the pun - role for a high-major program like Duke and get immediate interior minutes and visibility.

Kedsy
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Hopefully he sees the opportunity to play a pivotal - excuse the pun - role for a high-major program like Duke and get immediate interior minutes and visibility.

Yeah, except if he's really in the conversation for best in the class, he's going to get immediate interior minutes and visibility almost anywhere. Not sure how much of a selling point it is.

jimsumner
02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, except if he's really in the conversation for best in the class, he's going to get immediate interior minutes and visibility almost anywhere. Not sure how much of a selling point it is.

True. But at least it doesn't eliminate Duke.

Muhammad has indicated that he'll go pretty deep into the spring before making a decision. Rivers' status for 2013 should be known by then. If Noel elects to delay his decision, the same situation should apply with Mason. At least this clarity should help these guys make an informed decision.

UrinalCake
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm also not too concerned about 2013-2014 at this point. That season is light years away in terms of recruiting, we've already targeted some bigs for that year and undoubtedly some new players will surface. Also, if Noel really is in the discussion for the #1 player in his class then I would think him being a one-and-done is a good possibility. So bringing him in wouldn't help us at all for 2013-2014 and in fact would probably hurt us because it would take minutes away from MP3 and impede his development.

yancem
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm also not too concerned about 2013-2014 at this point. That season is light years away in terms of recruiting, we've already targeted some bigs for that year and undoubtedly some new players will surface. Also, if Noel really is in the discussion for the #1 player in his class then I would think him being a one-and-done is a good possibility. So bringing him in wouldn't help us at all for 2013-2014 and in fact would probably hurt us because it would take minutes away from MP3 and impede his development.

You are correct about the possibility of Noel being a one and done but I that you may be wrong about MP3's development. While he certainly would get less actual game playing experience, I would think that his development would be enhanced by going up against Noel every day in practice.

duke09hms
02-07-2012, 06:20 PM

1. A truth constantly brought up on this board is that freshmen rarely are huge impact players. If we dont pick up any post recruits this year we will be counting on freshmen to play MAJOR MINUTES and make huge contributions in the post alongside RS SO Marshall in 2013-2014. And since bigs typically take more time to develop, it doesnt bode well.

2. The argument that "theres so many post players in 2013 and we're involved with so many" is no guarantee we'll land one. Just look at this year. Lots of targets we went after. Lots of misses.

If Mason leaves, we might be in trouble next year.
If we don't land a post recruit this year, regardless of Mason leaving, we will most likely be in trouble next-next year.