PDA

View Full Version : ACC Games - Week of Jan 29th thru Feb 5th

Bob Green
01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Use this thread to discuss the various non-Duke ACC games for this week. (Jan 29 thru Feb 4)

Sunday 1/29

Miami (76) @ Boston College (54)
Georgia Tech (81) @ North Carolina (93)

Tuesday 1/31

Clemson (61) @ Virginia (65)
North Carolina (68) @ Wake Forest (53)

Wednesday 2/1

Georgia Tech (54) @ Florida State (68)
N.C. State (56) @ Boston College (51)
Maryland (86) @ Miami (90)

Thursday 2/2

Duke (75) @ Virginia Tech (60) - obviously we will discuss this one in the game thread

Saturday 2/4

Virginia (55) @ Florida State (58)
Wake Forest (76) @ N.C. State (87)
Boston College (47) @ Georgia Tech (51)
North Carolina (83) @ Maryland (74)
Clemson (65) @ Virginia Tech (67)

It is interesting that Carolina plays three games this week. There are some potentially good match-ups on Saturday with the Virginia @ Florida State and North Carolina @ Maryland games standing out.

Newton_14
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Watching UNC and Gatech. It's a blowout but, something else caught my eye. We had 4 years of Hanswalk, we now have Henswalk! Henson just caught the ball on the left low block, spun toward the middle, then attempted the up and under. He made the basket, but it looked odd to me. They showed the replay and I saw why. He moved his pivot foot a good 8 to 10 inches, which allowed him to get the space he needed. The ref was right there but never looked down at Henson's feet.

And Jamie Lucky just T'd up Ol'Roy. Imagine that..

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Watching UNC and Gatech. It's a blowout but, something else caught my eye. We had 4 years of Hanswalk, we now have Henswalk! Henson just caught the ball on the left low block, spun toward the middle, then attempted the up and under. He made the basket, but it looked odd to me. They showed the replay and I saw why. He moved his pivot foot a good 8 to 10 inches, which allowed him to get the space he needed. The ref was right there but never looked down at Henson's feet..

I dunno, we do have the Riverwalk....I don't quite understand why it doesn't get called, but the college refs used to call what Austin does a travel.

-jk
01-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I dunno, we do have the Riverwalk....I don't quite understand why it doesn't get called, but the college refs used to call what Austin does a travel.

Shhh...

devildeac
01-30-2012, 08:10 AM

Balance of nature. They only call every other or every third time he is hacked/fouled/tripped/knocked to the floor when he drives into the lane (see Olympic Fan's post about his last bucket vs f$u).

gw67
01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Bob,

Thanks for putting together this thread every week. The ACC is down this year but I enjoy keeping up with all the teams. Three interesting games this week:

Duke at Virginia Tech - The Hokies have decent talent but they have not been able to win league games. IMO, this will be a tough road game for the Devils

Virginia at Florida State - Virginia is boring to watch but their style of taking the air out of the ball keeps them in the game against superior talent and their good team defense is tough to score against. The Noles are the better team and should win at home.

Clemson at Virginia Tech - If the Hokies don't start to win some games soon, their coach may be on the hot seat.

As I see it, the ACC is beginning to split into three groups: The top group of Duke, UNC, Florida State and Virginia; the middle group of N.C. State, Miami, Clemson and Maryland; and the bottom group of BC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Wake. The top four appear to be strong bets for NCAAT. N.C.State or Miami need to get hot if they want an outside chance at bids to NCAAT.

gw67

Reilly
01-30-2012, 10:28 AM

It is interesting that Carolina plays three games this week. ...

Isn't that just a function of having the 'week' run from Sunday through Saturday? Carolina's still following the usual pattern of one weekday game and one weekend game. It's just that last week's weekend game was a Sunday, so it got caught in the net of discussing the upcoming week's game. Thanks for putting this together. Maybe define a b'ball week as Monday-Sunday? .... the mid-week games and then leading to the weekend games. When folks get to work Monday morning, they can then figure out what's upcoming.

Duvall
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Maybe define a b'ball week as Monday-Sunday? .... the mid-week games and then leading to the weekend games. When folks get to work Monday morning, they can then figure out what's upcoming.

Yeah, the college basketball "week" is always treated as Monday to Sunday, with mid-week and weekend games discussed as two separate clumps.

Bob Green
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
I missed the 1st half, but at the <12 minute time-out in the 2nd half, Virginia has opened up an 11 point lead on Clemson 49-38. Joe Harris has knocked down three 3-pointers in the second half and Mike Scott is looking good as usual. There is lots of time left so this game is far from over, but Clemson appears to be on the ropes.

Bob Green
01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
An entertaining 2nd half as Virginia knocked off Clemson 65-61 to improve to 5-2 in conference play. Mike Scott led the way with 23 points and 9 rebounds while Joe Harris was right behind him with 19 points. Harris was 5/6 on 3-pointers.

jipops
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Only a 7 point game in the 2nd half in Winston-Salem. I don't expect Wake to pull this out but I was rather surprised to find the margin to be this small with UNC. Watch UNC go on a huge run now.

sagegrouse
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Only a 7 point game in the 2nd half in Winston-Salem. I don't expect Wake to pull this out but I was rather surprised to find the margin to be this small with UNC. Watch UNC go on a huge run now.

Yep. It just started -- now it's 11. -- sage

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
FSU is down 25-24 to G. Tech in Tallahassee at halftime. Tech is playing without Glen Rice, Jr.

We'll see what happens in the second half, but this is a classic FSU letdown so far.

-jk
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Maryland tried, but couldn't quite take Miami in Coral Gables. For the umptieth time, no less. Double overtime. (my umd neighbors will be cranky tomorrow. Oh, well.)

In other games, State went north of Alaska and knocked off BC, and Florida St shook off a weak first half to beat Tech.

Also, I've taken the unilateral action to add Sunday to this thread's title in hopes of shifting it to a Mon-Sun sequence, better reflecting the college hoops scene. We have our game, of course, but that's it for Sun. I think.

-jk

Olympic Fan
02-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Maryland tried, but couldn't quite take Miami in Coral Gables. For the umptieth time, no less. Double overtime. (my umd neighbors will be cranky tomorrow. Oh, well.)

In other games, State went north of Alaska and knocked off BC, and Florida St shook off a weak first half to beat Tech.

Also, I've taken the unilateral action to add Sunday to this thread's title in hopes of shifting it to a Mon-Sun sequence, better reflecting the college hoops scene. We have our game, of course, but that's it for Sun. I think.

-jk

Miami had to play Maryland without Kenny Kadji,who has been playing great. He suffered a head injury and wasn't at the game. No telling whether the injury will keep him out of Sunday's game at Duke.

It was announced that Coach Jim Larranaga would also miss the game with flu-like symptoms, but he did show up at the last minute and was on the bench for the game.

sagegrouse
02-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Miami had to play Maryland without Kenny Kadji,who has been playing great. He suffered a head injury and wasn't at the game. No telling whether the injury will keep him out of Sunday's game at Duke.

It was announced that Coach Jim Larranaga would also miss the game with flu-like symptoms, but he did show up at the last minute and was on the bench for the game.

Larranaga was there and so was Mark Turgeon -- until he got tossed in the second half. -- sage

Bob Green
02-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Also, I've taken the unilateral action to add Sunday to this thread's title in hopes of shifting it to a Mon-Sun sequence, better reflecting the college hoops scene.

-jk

Hmmm....I guess I better take the hint. :)

Olympic Fan
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
All 12 ACC teams are in action this weekend against each other.Five of the games are Saturday with Miami at Duke Sunday (despite what ESPN kept saying during last night's telecast).

A lot at stake with three teams tied atop the league at 6-1 and a fourth team one-game back.

Here's my take:
1 p.m. Virginia (5-2) at Florida State (6-1). The two best defensive teams in the league. It pretty much comes down to who can make shots. You can bet it will be played at a slow tempo. FSU has better athetes and is playing at home, but Mike Scott will be the best player on the floor. Got to give FSU a slight edge, but the best game of the weekend on paper.

1 p.m. Boston College (2-6) at Georgia Tech (1-7). Meaningless game that will help determine last place. GTech has lost six straight since winning at NC State. If they don't win this one, they may not win again.

1 p.m. Wake (2-6) at N.C. State (5-3). Wake is not the joke they were a year ago, but State has already beaten them in Winston-Salem and should win again. State's problem is that it already has two home ACC losses (to Virginia and GTech). They are a classic bubble team -- just outside the bubble at the moment, but close enough to jump back in the field with a couple of good wins. They're in the middle of a three-game stretch of winnable games. Take care of business against BC (which they did, barely), home against Wake and at GTech and they are 18-7, 7-3 going into as stretch of three straight games against Duke (in Durham), FSU and UNC at home. They probably need to win at least one of those three to keep their NCAA hopes alive.

4 p.m. UNC (6-1) at Maryland (3-4). Not sure Maryland has done anything to indicate that they can win this game. UNC would have to lsoe it and even without Harrison Barnes, that's hard to see happening.

4 p.m. Clemson (3-4) at Virginia Tech (1-6). Two sad sack teams, going nowhere. Got to like the Hokies at home, but otherwise, a pretty meaningless toss up.

Sunday
3 p.m. -- Miami (4-3) at Duke (6-1). Not slam dunk. The 'Canes think the can still make an NCAA run. It's an extreme longshot at 13-7 (4-3), but Miami is No. 51 in the RPI and a win at Duke would make their case a little less extreme. Maybe more interesting will be seeing if Duke can sustain the focus and intensity it showed against Va tech ... and whether the Crazies can match their showing against St. John's.

shoutingncu
02-04-2012, 01:25 AM
4 p.m. UNC (6-1) at Maryland (3-4). Not sure Maryland has done anything to indicate that they can win this game. UNC would have to lose it and even without Harrison Barnes, that's hard to see happening.

Hope he's okay by Wednesday...

Harrison Barnes was limited in practice Friday by a sprained ankle. It's unclear whether the All-American will play Saturday when No. 5 North Carolina visits Maryland.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/17113219/weekend-look-ahead-kansasmizzou-somethin-to-look-forward-to

Duvall
02-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Hope he's okay by Wednesday...

Depends on whether Barnes is more injured than he was when he questionable for Wisconsin, or P.J. Hairston was when he was questionable for Kentucky, or McAdoo was when he was questionable for Boston College, or Strickland was when he was questionable for FSU.

Because all those guys played.

devildeac
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Depends on whether Barnes is more injured than he was when he questionable for Wisconsin, or P.J. Hairston was when he was questionable for Kentucky, or McAdoo was when he was questionable for Boston College, or Strickland was when he was questionable for FSU.

Because all those guys played.

As several (many?) of us have said here for years, put on the banana or pumpkin costume, bring out the crutches and waambulance, he'll likely play today and certainly on Wednesday night in chappaheeya, making another miraculous recovery in the great unc sand-bagging tradition:rolleyes:.

Bob Green
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Halftime: Florida State 23, Virginia 22. Slow paced game, which should benefit Virginia down the stretch. Mike Scott leads all scorers with 12 points.

sporthenry
02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
UMD taking it to UNC right now. Up 9 with 17:25 to go. It'll be interesting to see if UNC's depth eventually starts to show.

Duvall
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
UMD taking it to UNC right now. Up 9 with 17:25 to go. It'll be interesting to see if UNC's depth eventually starts to show.

UNC's what?

sporthenry
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
UNC's what?

I should have said the refs actually. I meant more UNC's relative depth compared to MD which isn't saying much. Stoglin might run out of gas and the refs just took Len out on an air foul.