PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs St. John's Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-26-2012, 10:36 PM
It's time to start the discussion on the last non-conference game of the regular season. The Redmen, uh...excuse me...I mean the Red Storm, put a whipping on us last year so it is time to exact some revenge! Different teams, different seasons, different situations, but it is still a loss that stings and I desire redemption. Let's talk some basketball.

jipops
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
God'sgift is coming to Cameron!

The Johnnies' offense has been sputtering all season. They're very young. I'm hoping the defense can come out focused and take advantage of this.

Kedsy
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM

The Johnnies' offense has been sputtering all season. They're very young. I'm hoping the defense can come out focused and take advantage of this.

Going in, this game could hardly be more different than last year's game. Last year, their 9 man rotation included 7 seniors and a junior. This year their 8 man rotation includes 5 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and a junior college transfer. Last year the game was in NYC, this year in Cameron. Last year they came into the game with an 11-8 record, this year it's 9-11.

One other thing -- it's not just God'sgift Achiuwa, they also have Sir'Dominic Pointer, Nurideen Lindsay, and D'Angelo Harrison. Quite an assortment of names.

DukeWarhead
01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I'd really like to see Duke come in to this game with Revenge on its mind. True, this is a different St. JOhns team from last year (and a different Duke team) but it would be good to remember the really bad taste that the flop against St. John left last season and try to get some retribution. I think a bit of ruthlessness would do this team Duke team some good.
"Grant me Revenge!"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nUUD8SM0Y

Bob Green
01-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Coach Krzyzewski discusses the St. John's team in today's Duke Basketball Report:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=840097&ATCLID=205368858&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach K says, "...it will be a tough game, they are unconventional, great in transition, play a match-up zone..." The short radio interview is well worth the time it takes to listen.

Saratoga2
01-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Clearly our defense needs to play with more focus and intensity to be consistent winners. I'd like to see our guards in particular show that they can stop penetration, stay in front of their man, fight through screens, etc. Frankly, we have been second rate in that regard, and that was shown against Maryland, particularly at the outset. We will be playing a relatively inexperienced team at home. What better time for our guards to play solid defense?

Lar77
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM

They did beat West Virginia pretty handily. We need to come out hard.

dyedwab
01-27-2012, 09:52 AM
We lost when we missed a bunch of early, open shots, got out-rebounded, got beaten to loose balls, and failed to play solid defense....

...ironically, the St. John's loss last year happened for the same reasons as some of our poor performances this year.

So, focus and intensity are the keys here...We are more talented and experienced then they are and are playing at home.

And if Mason plays the way he did at College Park, and our other players understand and realize that, I'm not sure how St. John's stops him.

jipops
01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
They did beat West Virginia pretty handily. We need to come out hard.

WVU is very young as well, but still a very solid team. That may be the Johnnies' only quality win.

jipops
01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
For those attending the game tomorrow be advised, there will be several other athletic events going on close to the time of the basketball game. Lacrosse - 8:30, Swimming - 11, Tennis 2pm. Parking could be rather hectic, allow for extra time getting over there.

IllWill
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
St. John's fan here with a little background on the team.

I saw Nurideen Lindsey's name mention, and he actually transferred about a month ago. Apparently he was about to flunk out of the school and had not shown up to class in weeks. Oh well...the team is better off without him.

St. John's plays 7 guys. Moe Harkless and DeAngelo Harrison, barring foul trouble, will play 40 minutes. They are also our two best players and 1 and 2 in the Big East in freshman scoring. Latest mock draft I saw for 2013 had Moe Harkless going 5th overall. The kid is a stud averaging 16 and 9 rebounds. DeAngelo Harrison has a little Dwight Hardy in him; when he is hot, he is HOT. He can also score from anywhere and is clearly the most demonstrative player on the team.

Other than Moe and Harrison, the rest of the guys are talented but very inconsistent. God's Gift is our biggest body, and a great defender, but he can disappear on the offensive end. Phil Greene is our PG (another freshman) and is coming off his best game of the season. He can handle the rock, but he is best suited as an off-guard which he will be when our PG transfer from Texas A+M is eligible next season. You may have seen Sir Dominic Pointer on sportscenter top 10 highlights because that is what he is: a highlight machine. Nonetheless, he is limited offensively in terms of creating his own shot and outside shooting. He was our top recruit coming in but he is still a work in progress. Amir Garrett is another highlight reel waiting to happen; a 6'7 lanky kid who just became eligible and is still finding his game. Malik Stith is our only returning player from last years team, and outside of ball handeling he is pretty much useless, to be blunt.

St. John's fans think we will go to a final four down the road with this team. They are very young (youngest team in D-1) but very very talented. We are an inconsistent team that is still learning how to win. I can see this game being close, but Duke pulling away heavily in the end.

Duke- 79
St. Johns- 65

Jarhead
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Going in, this game could hardly be more different than last year's game. Last year, their 9 man rotation included 7 seniors and a junior. This year their 8 man rotation includes 5 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and a junior college transfer. Last year the game was in NYC, this year in Cameron. Last year they came into the game with an 11-8 record, this year it's 9-11.

One other thing -- it's not just God'sgift Achiuwa, they also have Sir'Dominic Pointer, Nurideen Lindsay, and D'Angelo Harrison. Quite an assortment of names.

That must be an NCAA record number of apostrophes on team rosters. Ba da bing--http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/eusa/dance.gif

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I saw Nurideen Lindsey's name mention, and he actually transferred about a month ago. Apparently he was about to flunk out of the school and had not shown up to class in weeks. Oh well...the team is better off without him.
St. John's plays 7 guys. Moe Harkless and DeAngelo Harrison, barring foul trouble, will play 40 minutes. They are also our two best players and 1 and 2 in the Big East in freshman scoring. Latest mock draft I saw for 2013 had Moe Harkless going 5th overall. The kid is a stud averaging 16 and 9 rebounds. DeAngelo Harrison has a little Dwight Hardy in him; when he is hot, he is HOT. He can also score from anywhere and is clearly the most demonstrative player on the team.
Other than Moe and Harrison, the rest of the guys are talented but very inconsistent. God's Gift is our biggest body, and a great defender, but he can disappear on the offensive end. Phil Greene is our PG (another freshman) and is coming off his best game of the season. He can handle the rock, but he is best suited as an off-guard which he will be when our PG transfer from Texas A+M is eligible next season. You may have seen Sir Dominic Pointer on sportscenter top 10 highlights because that is what he is: a highlight machine. Nonetheless, he is limited offensively in terms of creating his own shot and outside shooting. He was our top recruit coming in but he is still a work in progress. Amir Garrett is another highlight reel waiting to happen; a 6'7 lanky kid who just became eligible and is still finding his game. Malik Stith is our only returning player from last years team, and outside of ball handeling he is pretty much useless, to be blunt.
St. John's fans think we will go to a final four down the road with this team. They are very young (youngest team in D-1) but very very talented. We are an inconsistent team that is still learning how to win. I can see this game being close, but Duke pulling away heavily in the end.
Duke- 79
St. Johns- 65
Thanks for the scouting report. SJU mos def has quite an interesting story re all the Fr., actually not too dissimilar from what is happening at BC right now. Although, it sounds like SJU may have more overall talent in their enormous crop of Fr than BC does.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Duke- 79
St. Johns- 65

Thanks, IllWill. SJU is always well-coached and motivated. I would love to see your projected spread but will frankly be thankful for a win and some balanced play.

Is your primary defense a match-up zone?

gwlaw99
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
St. Johns has one 3 point shooter (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2599/st-john-red-storm) and he is shooting 33%. We should be able to sag a little on defense to prevent them getting into the lane and let them shoot from 3.

Bob Green
01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
We should be able to sag a little on defense to prevent them getting into the lane and let them shoot from 3.

Perhaps you are correct, but perhaps the reason they haven't shot well from the bonusphere is because their opponents have defended the 3-point line. It's a chicken/egg thing.

Duke is currently an 18.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 147 so we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 83-64.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Here are the game notes and full game notes from GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205369651&DB_OEM_ID=4200
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/820770.pdf?ATCLID=205369651&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Tip-off is set for 12:03 pm with TV coverage by ESPN. Unfortunately, Dick Vitale is the color commentator so I highly recommend everyone test operate their Mute Button prior to the game starting.

roywhite
01-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry if this was already posted somewhere, but is Coach Steve Lavin back in good health or still troubled with aftereffects from his prostate surgery?

94duke
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry if this was already posted somewhere, but is Coach Steve Lavin back in good health or still troubled with aftereffects from his prostate surgery?

He is regaining his stamina. He came back too soon and had to leave again. He is unsure when he will return, but he will return.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7504034/st-john-red-storm-steve-lavin-return-coach-not-sure-timetable

gofurman
01-28-2012, 01:10 AM
dont want him coming back to early but he was really impressing me and providing the true pg we needed. any word on him playing tomorrow? or soon?

jv001
01-28-2012, 08:43 AM
St. Johns as the forwards that tend to give Duke trouble. I know the spread is around 18 points with Duke the favorite. However I never take any opponent for granted. I say it every game, but I sure hope we come out focused. Please don't let them get confidence in their shooting. After last years beat down, Duke should be fired up. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
01-28-2012, 09:29 AM
He is regaining his stamina. He came back too soon and had to leave again. He is unsure when he will return, but he will return.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7504034/st-john-red-storm-steve-lavin-return-coach-not-sure-timetable

Take it for what it's worth (an anonymous post on a message board), but it's extremely unlikely that Lavin will return to the bench at St. John's.

And despite the uncertainty about today that the front page suggests, he's not going to be at Cameron today.

IllWill
01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks, IllWill. SJU is always well-coached and motivated. I would love to see your projected spread but will frankly be thankful for a win and some balanced play.

Is your primary defense a match-up zone?

yes, altho we will mix in man-to-man. our kids are young (obviously), tall and long so the matchup zone does cause a lot of problems for other teams. nonetheless, you guys will have open 3 opportunities as that is just the nature of the beast.

Bob Green
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
yes, altho we will mix in man-to-man. our kids are young (obviously), tall and long so the matchup zone does cause a lot of problems for other teams. nonetheless, you guys will have open 3 opportunities as that is just the nature of the beast.

Hopefully, we create those "open 3 opportunities" by working our offense inside-out. Mason Plumlee must receive lots of opportunities to score inside for our offense to run on all 8 cylinders. Settling for quick 3-pointers early in the shot clock is a recipe for inefficiency.

riverside6
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10538

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I love the fact that for College GameDay at Arizona, the crowd is happily cheering away the whole time when discussing the upcoming day's matchups, and then whenever Duke is mentioned, all of a sudden the crowd heavily boos. No other team gets that response. Not like we'd care much about them discussing Arizona...Funny stuff. God'sgift (yes, that's his name) coming off the bench for St. John's for the second game in a row after their big win vs WVU.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I suppose I should just hold off making any comments before the first TV timeout because we seem to start EVERY freaking game with absolutely atrocious defense. Not sure why that is but...it sure is vexing :mad:

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Not that it'll likely matter against SJU today but...I hate to see us shooting so poorly (relative to how we have been shooting that previous couple games) from the FT line today. It's almost like the players relax because they think that today will be an easy one. I'm sure it's not that conscious of a choice on their part but...still...

mapei
01-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Our forcing them to foul - especially with offensive boards and 2d attempts - is a big factor. We're rebounding really well.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I swear, I love TT - way to hit the 3!!!

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Did I just hear Dickie V say Tyler's 3 point percentage is poor?
Since when did 57% become poor?

mapei
01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
What's with all the wild passes?

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Sorry dude, I don't know - I listen to about 4% of what Vitale says. So much noise, too little content.

RoyalBlue08
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
This might be as poorly as Duke has played all year. This is very disappointing to me.

dukelilsis
01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
A few observations:
* Sloppy seems to be the word of the day
* Good to see Cook is feeling better
* Thornton will never get the credit he deserves
* I'm going to have to bang my head against a wall to muffle out Dicky V and Brent Messyburger (my husband's name for him)

mapei
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I think DV and BM are actually pretty good today - but I can't decide whether our defense is worse than our offense or vice versa.

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I think Quinn needs to get some more PT this game. His court vision is unlike anyone else's on the team.
He had a bad pass to Miles for a dunk that got tipped but at least he was seeing the whole court.

The rest of our guys seem like they have already pre-determined where they want to go.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
This might be as poorly as Duke has played all year. This is very disappointing to me.

Yeah, after reading some comments from this past week from other posters whining about negativity during in-game threads, I've been trying REALLY hard to be positive today. But...it ain't easy!

I will say this - the crowd sounds great :D

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
I think Quinn needs to get some more PT this game. His court vision is unlike anyone else's on the team.
He had a bad pass to Miles for a dunk that got tipped but at least he was seeing the whole court.

I think since he's coming off an illness and hasn't been practicing full speed/strength, his minutes will be limited to ease him in. He may also not be 100% recovered yet.

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I think since he's coming off an illness and hasn't been practicing full speed/strength, his minutes will be limited to ease him in. He may also not be 100% recovered yet.

Yes, I know, and I agree with you.
I just think we can get him some minutes here and there - it changes the dynamic.

dukelilsis
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I look forward to Cook being at 100%. He's a lot of fun to watch because of his vision. You're right, it's not like anyone else's on the court. I really enjoyed watching his AAU team when they were on TV last year. He has an exciting future.

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Crazies made St. John's shoot a "desperation 3" with 4 seconds left on the shot clock by counting down (incorrectly on purpose). Nice job! I can't believe players actually believe the crowd, but that is one tactic that actually seems to work.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Glad to see us making a concerted effort to leverage our size advantage inside on offense. That's a positive, right? :D

Ggallagher
01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
OK, that's three blown player identifications or mis-calls. Can't we have announcers foul out at five like players??? He'd never make it into the second half.

dukelilsis
01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I noticed the fake count down too--good to see them playing a role! As for Brent miscalling players, he had Miles on the foul line when he was still on the bench at the beginning of the game. There should be a test. If announcers don't know their Plumlees they can't call the game.
Dre's stroke is so sweet when he is hitting. And I just love his little boy smile after he hits a beauty like that!

dukebballcamper90-91
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
rivers needs to sit after not giving the ball to dawkins on that last 2 on 1

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I noticed the fake count down too--good to see them playing a role! As for Brent miscalling players, he had Miles on the foul line when he was still on the bench at the beginning of the game. There should be a test. If announcers don't know their Plumlees they can't call the game.
Dre's stroke is so sweet when he is hitting. And I just love his little boy smile after he hits a beauty like that!

Yeah, I agree but would love to see that same smile after a great defensive play, too. I don't think he'll ever be a good defender though so I guess I had better give up on that dream

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The White Raven attacks the rim! What a great way to end the half!

Dukeface88
01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Rebounds:
Mason- 12 (5 offensive)
St. John's- 14 (4 offensive)

Assists:
Austin- 4
St. John's- 2

RoyalBlue08
01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I think what we need more than anything else is mental toughness. It was very disappointing to see the team sleep walk through the first ten minutes before K called that timeout and woke them up. This seems to be more of a problem this year than in years past.

Starter
01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
rivers needs to sit after not giving the ball to dawkins on that last 2 on 1

Rivers clearly got fouled on that play, and he has four assists and just that one bogus turnover. Besides, I love when he attacks the rim.

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I think what we need more than anything else is mental toughness. It was very disappointing to see the team sleep walk through the first ten minutes before K called that timeout and woke them up. This seems to be more of a problem this year than in years past.

I agree...but I will say this. Those Saturday morning early starts are tough! I played women's college ball and I HATED noon tip-off times. I didn't feel like I was all together with it.

Glad to see K get them motivated. The second 10 minutes seemed to be a little more Duke-like, but we still have a ways to go!

sagegrouse
01-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I agree...but I will say this. Those Saturday morning early starts are tough! I played women's college ball and I HATED noon tip-off times. I didn't feel like I was all together with it.

Glad to see K get them motivated. The second 10 minutes seemed to be a little more Duke-like, but we still have a ways to go!

Our D was much better after the ten-minute mark. Also, St. John's super-quickness faded a bit with fatigue, which is part of defense, wearing your opponent down. We got sloppy with a big lead towards the end of the half.

good game -- fun watch.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Dawkins was hot in the 1st half with 4/7 (57%) 3-pointers going down. He needs to keep it going over the final 20 minutes.

davekay1971
Very solid 2nd 10 minutes for Duke. They played smart offense and solid half-court defense, except for that brief stretch right at the end of the half when we let St. Johns trim the lead by 6. Nice to see a solid performance on both ends of the court. Solid Duke basketball complete with a snarky Doug Gottlieb dismissal of Duke's ranking to open the halftime show.

JBDuke
Rivers clearly got fouled on that play, and he has four assists and just that one bogus turnover. Besides, I love when he attacks the rim.

Agree 100% here. Rivers got fouled, and I'm guessing that it was emphasized that they needed to be aggressive attacking the basket in an attempt to get the Johnnies in foul trouble.

I'm pretty happy with Austin's decision making so far today.

RoyalBlue08
01-28-2012, 01:09 PM

That's a good point I hadn't really thought of.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know a ton about Gene Keady, but he seems like a good man. On the other hand...that over-dyed comb over is, um, rather humorous looking. Other than the person who's head it's on, does ANYONE think a comb over EVER looks good?

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but how in the HECK was that not an intentional foul against Miles just then?

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
That's a good point I hadn't really thought of.

That being said, there's no excuse to start out that way. We have to bring it every day, no matter what time, place, etc.

JBDuke
01-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry, but how in the HECK was that not an intentional foul against Miles just then?

IMO, the refs have been pretty dreadful in this game. Lots of stuff both ways going uncalled.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:24 PM
IMO, the refs have been pretty dreadful in this game. Lots of stuff both ways going uncalled.

Well yeah, I tend to look at games with my Duke-blue colored glasses on but it certainly seems to me that the refs are allowing a LOT more contact on our bigs ever since we got this big lead. Mason got bumped and shoved all over the place a minute ago and Ryan got hacked like 3 times before the zebras blew a whistle. :mad:

Tucknut
01-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Even with a big lead, this is one frustrating game to watch.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Ugh, looks like Uncle Sloppy's back...:(

mapei
01-28-2012, 01:36 PM
We don't seem in danger, but St. John's is playing with more heart, strength and toughness than we are. We're not getting all the rebounds anymore. And we can't finish around the rim even when we do.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Andre is not shooting with confidence, we're sloppy as heck, lazy on D, lazy on the boards. Not impressed.

duke09hms
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Andre is not shooting with confidence, we're sloppy as heck, lazy on D, lazy on the boards. Not impressed.

I love Rivers' attitude. After repeated drives to beat his man and passing to wide-open Andre who bricks the 3s, he finally takes over and scores it on his own.

This kid hates to lose. Wish the rest of the team had his drive.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
At the risk of being called a poor sport, I'll just say that it seems to me that we should be winning this game by 20-25pts. As it stands now, it looks like we'll be lucky to win at all :(

SMO
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Late January...suppose I must get used to:

Huge leads evaporating
6'10+ bigs missing 3-4 lay ups a game
Inconsistent defense
Relying on a freshman to take over when things get difficult
Periods of extremely sloppy Play

I hope everyone sticks around for another year because the apparent lack of experience is frustrating.

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
We need to keep feeding Mason. I don't understand why we go away from a strategy that was so successful in the first half. Help side D hasn't been so great either. But, overall, definitely some positives this game. I like Austin being aggressive and getting to the rack and Mason has been a beast on the boards. Seth is struggling a bit, but contributing in other ways.

duke09hms
01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
We need to keep feeding Mason. I don't understand why we go away from a strategy that was so successful in the first half. Help side D hasn't been so great either. But, overall, definitely some positives this game. I like Austin being aggressive and getting to the rack and Mason has been a beast on the boards. Seth is struggling a bit, but contributing in other ways.

Because they've been double and even triple-teaming Mason, forcing our shooters to beat them. Good strategy cause we've been shooting bricks and turning it over.

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't always agree with Vitale but he's absolutely right - we ARE sloppy with the ball today. Jeez guys, calm down...

dukelilsis
01-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Big play with nice hussle by Andre.

SupaDave
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
What I came to see...

What I get to read...

OMG! A game at home where we've been leading the whole game! This team sucks! That team sucks. This guy sucks! The refs suck! We should be winning by 50! OMG! That ONE play costs us the ENTIRE game. Geez, why can't we play offense? Why can't we play defense? I wish the guy I liked was playing. We need more heart and toughness. I hate that announcer.

Thanks to you that actually watch the game.

Supa "some of you REALLY need to read your posts" Dave

dukelilsis
01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
WHY ARE THEY QUIET????? Please, oh please, let me be at Cameron for a game again. I don't even know how to be quiet when I watch the games at home...alone!

DesertDevil
01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
The one thing I've seen with this team a few times this year is that they just don't seem to have that killer instinct to really put it on people when they have them down. You have to want to step on their throat & when they squirm, step harder. This team seem to go full on narcoleptic when they get any kind of significant margin.

You have to have the attitude, if the lead is 10, make it 20. If it's 20, make it 30. Take their will to compete.

SMO
01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
You heard it here: if Duke squeaks out a 1pt win against a high school team we should be thrilled.

I understand having a balance of optimism but the 2nd half has been ugly for Duke.

jdj4duke
01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Gene Keady just T'd up for that comb over.

DukeGirl4ever
01-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I never thought this game was in question, but that being said, here's a few things I would have liked to see:

1.) Better defensive rebounding in the 2nd half.
2.) Utilize the high post. After seeing the first 10 minutes and that junk defense St. John's played, the high post area was open. We utilized it a bit with Miles, but I think RKelly needed to be there. Then in the 2nd half, we played 4 out one in at times with RKelly way beyond the 3-point line. I understand this strategy, but thought he might have been a bit more effective if he lingered foul-line extended area for a few plays.
3.) GET THE BALL IN TO THE POST!
4.) Intensity

I hope this doesn't come across as negative since many seem to be at odds today. Constructive criticism....we won....never thought it was in doubt, but saw some things I thought could have been focused on..

ChrisP
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Wasn't the real Bootsy from SJU? Harkless is making a bid to have that award re-named today...

mapei
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Can someone provide some "analysis" of why they have closed to within 6 points? I don't like it, but all I have to offer are comments.

tendev
01-28-2012, 02:11 PM
We stopped attacking and they picked up their game. They have showed a tremendous amount of heart and we just want the game be over.

Can someone provide some "analysis" of why they have closed to within 6 points? I don't like it, but all I have to offer are comments.

SMO
01-28-2012, 02:13 PM

My analysis suggests we have 5 or so guys with 3+ years experience that play like sophs. Maybe this is due to lack of game experience or maybe they end up trying to compensate for the guys that really are inexperienced. Either way, it's tough to watch.

mapei
01-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Can't believe that wasn't at least one foul against the guys "guarding" Curry.

1 24 90
At least our record in single digit games is now 9-2.

tendev
I give you permission to be negative. But I am not a mod. I suggest that words streaming out of Coach K's mouth during time outs have not all been sweet and positive.

I never thought this game was in question, but that being said, here's a few things I would have liked to see:

1.) Better defensive rebounding in the 2nd half.
2.) Utilize the high post. After seeing the first 10 minutes and that junk defense St. John's played, the high post area was open. We utilized it a bit with Miles, but I think RKelly needed to be there. Then in the 2nd half, we played 4 out one in at times with RKelly way beyond the 3-point line. I understand this strategy, but thought he might have been a bit more effective if he lingered foul-line extended area for a few plays.
3.) GET THE BALL IN TO THE POST!
4.) Intensity

I hope this doesn't come across as negative since many seem to be at odds today. Constructive criticism....we won....never thought it was in doubt, but saw some things I thought could have been focused on..

RoyalBlue08
The good news is that if we needed to take a game off, this was a good one to choose.