PDA

View Full Version : Block vs Charge. You make the call.

magjayran
01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
At least seventy-nine times a year, every basketball fan sees a bang bang play in the paint and feels that the ref slighted their team. I thought it might be interesting to talk about the rule and how it's interpreted. I got his from the Basketball Rules website. http://basketball.lifetips.com/cat/447/basketball-rules/index.html

Blocking/ Charging Foul
This is THE most difficult call to make in basketball. A lot is left up for interpretation, and referees blow this call more than any other. Blocking, by definition, is personal contact which impedes the progress of an offensive player. This call is made when a defender bumps into, or impedes an offensive player's progress with their body. Charging is personal contact called against the offense, with or without the ball, usually because the offensive player pushes, or runs through a defender. When judging a block/charge, officials are supposed to use the following principles: 1) Does the defender establish an initial legal guarding position? 2) Does the defender remain stationary or does he move laterally or backwards in order to maintain the guarding position? 3) In moving to maintain the guarding position, are one or both feet on the floor while doing so? 4) Is the defensive player on the spot first? Bascially, everyone has a right to their position on the court, whether it's the offense or the defense. If either one violates that space, then a block/charge will be called.

Up until a few years ago I thought that the defender had to be completely stationary with two feet planted firmly on the floor in order to draw a charge but that's not really the rule is it? The way I interpret the rule is that the player doesn't need to be completely still if it's obvious that he/she has been guarding that spot before the offensive player gets their. This would validate the somewhat controversial charge that Tyler drew last night. He was clearly in the lane before the offensive player got there and had been guarding that area before he got to the three point line. Tyler's feet weren't completely set but at least one was and he was standing in a place that he had established position. I also don't believe that his body was leaning either. So in my opinion, good call.

Now I'm a 33 year old fan that's been in love with the Devils since I was old enough to count so I've seen a lot charge/block calls. I really started paying attention to these calls back in the Danny Ferry days. Still, I know some of you have decades of fandom on me. Is this how my fellow DBR posters would interpret the rule? Am I missing something? It's gotta be the hardest call to make in the game but I think the officials mostly do a good job with it. What do you think?

dball
01-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Up until a few years ago I thought that the defender had to be completely stationary with two feet planted firmly on the floor in order to draw a charge but that's not really the rule is it? The way I interpret the rule is that the player doesn't need to be completely still if it's obvious that he/she has been guarding that spot before the offensive player gets their. This would validate the somewhat controversial charge that Tyler drew last night. He was clearly in the lane before the offensive player got there and had been guarding that area before he got to the three point line. Tyler's feet weren't completely set but at least one was and he was standing in a place that he had established position. I also don't believe that his body was leaning either. So in my opinion, good call.

Think the key term is "position must be established". It isn't necessary to be stationary (or stationery for that matter). Many moons ago CBS (IIRC) ran a "You Make The Call" segment. My favorite was one of Bobby Hurley defending. I believe it was one of the Vegas games where Hurley establishes position to prevent a drive to the basket and leaps up (principle of "verticality") to try to block shot. Segment was used to show proper defensive form. Interestingly, Hurley was called for the foul during the game. So, yes, it is a tough call. :)

Tyler wasn't called for charging on the one play because the first Maryland defender hits TT prior to Tyler's charging into the second defender. On the play you mention, upon review it did appear the proper call was made (but keep in mind I am a Duke fan).

Highlander
01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Think the key term is "position must be established". It isn't necessary to be stationary (or stationery for that matter). Many moons ago CBS (IIRC) ran a "You Make The Call" segment. My favorite was one of Bobby Hurley defending. I believe it was one of the Vegas games where Hurley establishes position to prevent a drive to the basket and leaps up (principle of "verticality") to try to block shot. Segment was used to show proper defensive form. Interestingly, Hurley was called for the foul during the game. So, yes, it is a tough call. :)

Tyler wasn't called for charging on the one play because the first Maryland defender hits TT prior to Tyler's charging into the second defender. On the play you mention, upon review it did appear the proper call was made (but keep in mind I am a Duke fan).

The one that annoyed me was the one on Rivers at the end of the half. While Austin is airborne, the defender can clearly be seen shuffling his feet forward, underneath Rivers. In addition, the ball leaves Rivers's hands well before contact is made, so at the very least the basket should have counted.

I agree, though, seeing this in real time is incredibly difficult. While the refs weren't great last night, I didn't sense any bias. They made bad calls all night :)

Lar77
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
This came up last night, but has gone both for and against Duke in the past. Rebound situation, man falls, rebounder gets the ball and lands either on or adjacent to man on the ground and falls over him. Sometimes called a foul; sometimes a travel. Any thoughts?

dball
01-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree, though, seeing this in real time is incredibly difficult. While the refs weren't great last night, I didn't sense any bias. They made bad calls all night :)

Consistency is the key.

dukeENG2003
01-26-2012, 04:34 PM
This came up last night, but has gone both for and against Duke in the past. Rebound situation, man falls, rebounder gets the ball and lands either on or adjacent to man on the ground and falls over him. Sometimes called a foul; sometimes a travel. Any thoughts?

Are you referring to Gerald Henderson being called for the travel at Wake a couple years back, b/c that was total crap. LAying on the floor is NOT legal guarding position, no matter how you slice it.

mkirsh
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Are you referring to Gerald Henderson being called for the travel at Wake a couple years back, b/c that was total crap. LAying on the floor is NOT legal guarding position, no matter how you slice it.

We got the other side of it last night, where Kelly was called for a tripping foul when a Maryland player landed on him while Ryan was on the ground. I guess the fine print to Duke gets all the calls is "unless it involves a player laying on the ground, in which case Duke gets none of the calls" :)

COYS
01-26-2012, 10:15 PM
We got the other side of it last night, where Kelly was called for a tripping foul when a Maryland player landed on him while Ryan was on the ground. I guess the fine print to Duke gets all the calls is "unless it involves a player laying on the ground, in which case Duke gets none of the calls" :)

And Mason was tripped up by Craft while Craft was lying on the ground during the game at Ohio State this year (if you haven't blocked that game out of your memory). I think your rule passes this rigorous scientific test. I mean, we have three examples from the past four seasons =)!