PDA

View Full Version : Best PG in the ACC?

JNort
01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Hubert Davis was just on 610 the Fan here in Charlotte and he said "Lorenzo Brown is the best pg in the ACC right now". Kind of surprised at first but it got me thinking and he may be right. He also think that at least 5 to 6 teams make the tournament for the ACC (Duke, UNC, FSU, Virginia and NCSU). Marshall by most counts is considered the best in the ACC but 1) He cant score and 2) He plays no defense

Bob Green
01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Lorenzo Brown leads the ACC in Steals with 40, is 2nd in Assists averaging 6.9 per game, is 18th in Scoring at 12.4 points per game, and is 3rd in A/TO Ratio at 2.3. I agree with you that Hubert Davis is probably correct.

Sixthman
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Lorenzo Brown leads the ACC in Steals with 40, is 2nd in Assists averaging 6.9 per game, is 18th in Scoring at 12.4 points per game, and is 3rd in A/TO Ratio at 2.3. I agree with you that Hubert Davis is probably correct.

They may be for real, but their schedule has been soft.

superdave
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
When he gets over the flu, my vote is for TyQuinn Cookton.

I have not seen Lorenzo Brown play yet so I'm not very objective.

Olympic Fan
01-25-2012, 11:42 PM
They may be for real, but their schedule has been soft.

I don't buy that ... NC State's SOS is No. 49 in RPI, which isn't as good as Duke (No. 1) or FSU (No. 3), but it's a very strong figure, They've played Syracuse, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Texas, Stanford and beat the Princeton team that won at FSU.

Now, I'm not saying they've played the toughest schedule in the world, but it's hardly soft.

I heard Hubert Davis say much the same thing about Brown on Dave Glenn's show this afternoon. Except he called Lorenzo "the best ALL-AROUND point guard in the ACC."

I think that is a fair description. Kendall Marshall is a GREAT distributor -- in the Hurley, Corchiani class -- but he's a subpar player at every other part of the game -- a weak defender, a poor scorer.

Brown isn't the creator that Marshall is or the head to head defender that Jontel Evans is or the scorer that Erick Green is, but he's a better defender/scorer than Marshall; a better creator/scorer than Evans and a better creator/defender than Green. Maybe Duke can match him with a three-headed point guard monster -- Quinn to distribute, Tyler to defend and Seth to score, but if you are looking for the best all-around point guard in the ACC, that's got to be Lorenzo Brown.

JNort
01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't buy that ... NC State's SOS is No. 49 in RPI, which isn't as good as Duke (No. 1) or FSU (No. 3), but it's a very strong figure, They've played Syracuse, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Texas, Stanford and beat the Princeton team that won at FSU.

Now, I'm not saying they've played the toughest schedule in the world, but it's hardly soft.

I heard Hubert Davis say much the same thing about Brown on Dave Glenn's show this afternoon. Except he called Lorenzo "the best ALL-AROUND point guard in the ACC."

I think that is a fair description. Kendall Marshall is a GREAT distributor -- in the Hurley, Corchiani class -- but he's a subpar player at every other part of the game -- a weak defender, a poor scorer.

Brown isn't the creator that Marshall is or the head to head defender that Jontel Evans is or the scorer that Erick Green is, but he's a better defender/scorer than Marshall; a better creator/scorer than Evans and a better creator/defender than Green. Maybe Duke can match him with a three-headed point guard monster -- Quinn to distribute, Tyler to defend and Seth to score, but if you are looking for the best all-around point guard in the ACC, that's got to be Lorenzo Brown.

I agree and the losses are not too bad. Most of those losses were very close and the Syracuse game was close until late in the 2nd half when the depth of Cuse wore out NC State. NC State's starting 5 can compete with top 25 teams, the bench however is less than stellar

Greg_Newton
01-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Lorenzo has Brown has been really good ever since he got to State. He was overshadowed by the flashier Leslie and Harrow, but he was easily the best of the bunch their freshman year and has gotten steadily better since. I've always been a huge fan of his game.

That said... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyjE5SzLDs :p

JNort
01-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Lorenzo has Brown has been really good ever since he got to State. He was overshadowed by the flashier Leslie and Harrow, but he was easily the best of the bunch their freshman year and has gotten steadily better since. I've always been a huge fan of his game.

That said... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyjE5SzLDs :p

Lol I was there to see that in person and boy was it sweet. But as for Brown I must admit I have not followed him closely as I was caught up with Leslie's athletic abilities and Harrow's quickness but it appears I have been missing out. Really looks to me like State is about to turn the corner back into being relevant again whether it is next year or late this year.

devildeac
01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Lol I was there to see that in person and boy was it sweet. But as for Brown I must admit I have not followed him closely as I was caught up with Leslie's athletic abilities and Harrow's quickness but it appears I have been missing out. Really looks to me like State is about to turn the corner back into being relevant again whether it is next year or late this year.

I'm hoping it starts tonight ;>)) .

Slackerb
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
If you haven't seen Brown play, then I think he's the type of player that the stats don't always tell the tell.

He's not only the best overally PG in the ACC, but he's also the best overall player on NC State's team. He's their MVP for sure - they are a completely different team when he is not on the court, even though they have a capable backup in Alex Johnson.

For example, in the Miami game, late in the second half, Miami stormed back into the game and made it a 6 point game, all without Brown on the floor. Gottfried put him back in, the turnovers stopped, and State held onto the lead. This has happened many times over the course of the season, and his ability to break the press, penetrate defenses, and run the fast break are what makes NC State tick.

He is a large part of what makes this team different than previous years. No longer does State struggle to even get the ball up the court. No longer does State miss points in transition or get beaten down the court by the transition D, etc.

I've watched both Marshall and Brown several times this season, and Brown gets the nod in my book.