PDA

View Full Version : The Ugly Truth About MJ & The HS Coach that DID NOT Cut Him- Pop Herring

Newton_14
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
This SI piece is a must read. I never really knew the full story. Jordan was not "cut". Just like everyone else in 1978, Freshman & Sophomore's played on the JV and Juniors & Seniors played Varsity. That's just how it was. The occasional stud Sophomore would play Varsity or float back and forth between JV and Varsity. Jordan was a 5'10 PG as a soph with an average jump shot and poor defender. He was listed on the JV like all of the other Fr & Soph's, with one exception. A guy named Leroy Smith was added to the Varsity as a Soph (he was also Jordan's best friend). Smith was a 6'7 forward/center. The Varsity had no Jr/Sr taller than 6'3, so Smith was pulled up due to the team needing size. His being placed on the Varsity had nothing at all to do with Jordan, yet the myth was sold that "Jordan was cut, in favor of Smith".

The story chronicles the life of Pop Herring, and what really happened in 78 and beyond. It also provides details on the many people Jordan put down in his various speech's, including the HOF speech.

Very sad but revealing story. It is long but I would encourage you to take the time to read the entire thing.

The Big Lie about 23 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193740/index.htm)

gep
01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
The story was indeed very interesting (I read it in the print magazine). One interesting item I saw was that Coach Pop said that the choice was either to put MJ on the varsity, where he'll sit on the bench, or put him on the JV, where he'll play a lot and shine. In fact, the story goes on to say that since the JV games were played before the varsity games, the varsity players would get to the gym early to watch the JV game and MJ... who was, apparently, fantastic on the JV team :cool: But, yes, very sad story... also sad on how MJ carried his perceived disrespect from everyone essentially forever.

Newton_14
01-24-2012, 11:21 PM
The story was indeed very interesting (I read it in the print magazine). One interesting item I saw was the Coach Pop said that the choice was to put MJ on the varsity, where he'll sit on the bench, or put him on the JV, where he'll play a lot and shine. In fact, the story goes on to say that since the JV games were played before the varsity games, the varsity players would get to the gym early to watch the JV game and MJ... who was, apparently, fantastic on the JV team :cool:

That's correct. Laney returned 2 stud Sr guards who started as Jr's. The varsity did well despite the lack of size, and Jordan shined on the JV squad. The coaches all felt Jordan benefitted greatly from playing that year on JV. He went on to start at PG as a Jr and Sr. (After growing significantly taller than he was as a Soph)

jv001
01-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I wonder if jordan harbors any ill feelings to dean smith and the Chicago White Sox organization for holding him back. It's been said that smith was the only person that could hold jordan low scoring totals. And of course jordan thought he could play major league baseball. He also thinks his golf game is way better than it actually is. From what I've heard he gets hustled often on the links. His attitude went way beyond confident. He was just full of himself and I believe he has that same attitude now. GoDuke!

-bdbd
01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I read the print version a week or two ago. Honestly, a very negative view of Jordan, but consistent with the over-competitivness and pettiness that generally surrounds Jordan. The article, while acknowledging his drive, is not very complimentary about him as a person.

While the story is mostly about Herring, and the hole that he has fallen down, it also talks about MJ's "relationship" with Leroy Smith too. What we see there is something similar, where MJ also has venom for a classmate whose only sin was to be tall and a decent HS b-ball player at a time where the Varsity team needed a Center (and so he "beat out" MJ for that one available slot on the varsity open that year to an underclassman).

The article really paints a picture of an ugly Jordan, petty at many turns, not grateful for those who help make him (prefering to credit himself instead) and then totally forgetting about them. What happened to Pops is really quite sad. At the end I was left wondering if an article like this will motivate/embarrass MJ into doing something to help Herring and company out of their current predicaments. But this is all consistent re. what we knew about Jordan and how he has always used supposed affronts to motivate himself.

Note: I was surprised to learn that MJ grew up in a nice, middle-class home too (not the story NC likes to use).