PDA

View Full Version : Duke to wear unique uniforms for one game only

Mike Corey
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
There will be an announcement tomorrow, but Duke will be donning a unique jersey for one game only--presumably for the Maryland game.

Duvall
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
There will be an announcement tomorrow, but Duke will be donning a unique jersey for one game only--presumably for the Maryland game.

Which Maryland game?

Mike Corey
01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure, amigo. I would guess tomorrow night's game, but we'll find out soon. That's all I got.

Duke will be among a handful of schools wearing new uniforms. I have no sense of the design change, color scheme, etc. Trying to find out.

The rumor is that the uniforms for all of the schools will be...um, shades of grey.

Rich
01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
In an effort to confuse the home crowd and simultaneously protect our players from thrown batteries and water bottles, it will look something like this, helmet and pads included.

crimsonandblue
01-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure, amigo. I would guess tomorrow night's game, but we'll find out soon. That's all I got.

Duke will be among a handful of schools wearing new uniforms. I have no sense of the design change, color scheme, etc. Trying to find out.

The rumor is that the uniforms for all of the schools will be...um, shades of grey.

She only sees shades of gray . . .

CLW
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Wishes Nike would just fall off the face of the earth. Apparently ruining college football uniforms isn't enough and now they want to venture off into basketball land with camo jerseys and God only knows what else.

Son of Mojo
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Isn't having to tolerate the black jerseys on occasion bad enough? I'm worried about this.......

jv001
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Isn't having to tolerate the black jerseys on occasion bad enough? I'm worried about this.......

I hate those black uniforms. On the road it's Royal Blue and it wouldn't bother me at home also. GoDuke!

wavedukefan70s
01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
They have been ruining jerseys in highschool football for quite a few years.what happened to tradition.i can see updating for the times.but they just go to far sometimes.

mattman91
01-24-2012, 06:12 PM

I may stand alone, but I really like the black jerseys :cool:

JNort
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I may stand alone, but I really like the black jerseys :cool:

Yeah they are by far my favorite jersey we have. Lol my sisters use to only watch Duke games with me if Duke wore their "sexy jerseys" (The black ones). I think I may also be in the minority in the fact that I love what Nike and all those other companies do with the jersey changes (a few suck but most are amazing!).

My friends and I agree the best jersey in all sports at all levels is the Oregon football team jerseys.

KenTankerous
01-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Y'all sure its a one-game only deal?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=106110

(WARNING: Gratuitous Billy Clyde Sighting ahead)

MarkD83
01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah they are by far my favorite jersey we have. Lol my sisters use to only watch Duke games with me if Duke wore their "sexy jerseys" (The black ones). I think I may also be in the minority in the fact that I love what Nike and all those other companies do with the jersey changes (a few suck but most are amazing!).

My friends and I agree the best jersey in all sports at all levels is the Oregon football team jerseys.

Yeah they gave Oregon an advantage in the Rose Bowl because no one could stand looking at them...including Wisconsin.

MCFinARL
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Is there any chance this is connected to Coaches vs Cancer?

hurleyfor3
01-24-2012, 07:07 PM

There's every chance it's connected to Nike vs. Individualism.

Duvall
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
It's just a uniform.

Mike Corey
01-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Ya'll sure its a one-game only deal?

Yes sir. I was told expressly that the uniforms--at Duke, at least--will be worn for one game only.

What other schools choose to do is, I suppose, up to them.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
The women have worn pink before, I liked it on their uniforms. Not saying the men would wear it as well, but it would be interesting.

MChambers
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Remember those silly silver uniforms UNC wore two years ago? Someone wrote that Henson looked like the Tin Man!

weezie
01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
What's wrong, aren't people interested enough in college hoops? Is a uniform change going to make more people tune in?
I'm still concerned.

ncexnyc
01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Remember those silly silver uniforms UNC wore two years ago? Someone wrote that Henson looked like the Tin Man!

I seem to recall there being a photo of Will Graves wearing one of those uniforms while he was sprawled out on the floor and someone mentioned he looked like a baby seal

dukereport
01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Speaking for myself, I view Duke in the same light as Alabama and Penn State football. We have a tradition that doesn't require Duke to "stand-out" from other schools. Duke is Duke and our jerseys should reflect that. It doesn't mean we can't have alterations occasionally...moving from short shorts to the longer baggier shorts would be one example. But overall, the jerseys should remain constant. However, constant doesn't sell jerseys for Nike.

msdukie
01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
The uniforms in question are Nike Platinum Hyper Elite uniforms (which are apparently made mostly out of recycled materials, including shorts that are entirely made of recycled plastic bottles from landfills). The only schools getting these are the Nike Titanium/Platinum Elite schools (I've seen them called both). Those are the Nike Elite schools that have won national championships as Nike schools (men: Duke, UNX, UConn, Florida, Syracuse, Kentucky, Syracuse; women: UConn, Baylor). They are all supposed to be grey. There was a Duke mock up floating around a couple of months ago - pretty ugly. You will notice that these schools use a different Nike Elite mark on the neckline and other gear than the other Nike Elite schools. This is all MARKETING.

BD80
01-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Doesn't the term "uniform" stem from a sense of consistency?

NovaScotian
01-25-2012, 06:50 AM
It's just a uniform.

I beg to differ. In the words of Jerome Seinfeld, we're really just rooting for the laundry.

mgtr
01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Doesn't the term "uniform" stem from a sense of consistency?

Duke is uniform across the team, but not across time.

Mike Corey
01-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Rich
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Well, I like the logo.

blazindw
01-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Hmm, that's interesting...I figured that the gray would be a bit darker, like more of a charcoal. With these jerseys, and in light of the Terps dedicating the court to "Sweat Gary Sweat" Williams, I wonder if Maryland will be wearing some new red jerseys or their yellows tonight. I don't think they will wear their regular home white jerseys.

devildeac
01-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Ahh, pantone 287 and white for our official school colors. And black. And now gray.

Sigh. SMH.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I think the whole team should grow out mullets, to show unity with those who perished in the great "Cyrus Virus" outbreak of the late 1980's.

Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it.

superdave
01-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I look forward to the game when a team wears form-fitting unitards. Twitter and Espn will explode. My guess is 2014.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
The uniforms in question are Nike Platinum Hyper Elite uniforms (which are apparently made mostly out of recycled materials, including shorts that are entirely made of recycled plastic bottles from landfills). The only schools getting these are the Nike Titanium/Platinum Elite schools (I've seen them called both). Those are the Nike Elite schools that have won national championships as Nike schools (men: Duke, UNX, UConn, Florida, Syracuse, Kentucky, Syracuse; women: UConn, Baylor). They are all supposed to be grey. There was a Duke mock up floating around a couple of months ago - pretty ugly. You will notice that these schools use a different Nike Elite mark on the neckline and other gear than the other Nike Elite schools. This is all MARKETING.

Tying this all together, the recyled plastic bottles used to make this particular batch of uniforms were all collected from the Comcast Center floor after being thrown at the Duke bench.

devil84
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I look forward to the game when a team wears form-fitting unitards. Twitter and Espn will explode. My guess is 2014.

Correction: 1989. NCSU. Two games.

The players didn't like them so they voted to wear their regular game shorts over them.

MulletMan
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I think the whole team should grow out mullets, to show unity with those who perished in the great "Cyrus Virus" outbreak of the late 1980's.

Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it.

;);););)

94duke
01-25-2012, 10:54 AM
from goduke.com

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/DUKE_Platinum_Elite.pdf

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
It would appear that the special uniforms will be worn on February 11 for the Maryland game in Cameron. https://www.facebook.com/DukeAthletics

wilson
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Correction: 1989. NCSU. Two games.

The players didn't like them so they voted to wear their regular game shorts over them.These ladies didn't seem to mind.

devildad12
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Mind you, Nike is doing this all in the name of being environtmentally friendly.

DukeUsul
01-25-2012, 11:08 AM

DukeUsul
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425766_10150511516711194_11129186193_9047863_39879 2193_n.jpg

DukeUsul
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM

DukeUsul
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Native
01-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Mike Corey
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I love Duke. I love Nike. I love how good Nike has been to Duke.

I wish Nike would stop the insanity, however, with some of its design decisions.

The players apparently love the uniforms, and that's good enough for me since this is a one-time deal.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Notice how nice they look next to a really dark background, yet blah when bathed in light? So we just need to dim the lights in Cameron that day and we'll look great. Both teams will have the worst shooting percentages of the year, but we'll still win. 35-23.

CLW
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Wow I cannot begin to describe how much I HATE these uniforms. Please lord do not allow this to be added to the normal rotation!

Lid
01-25-2012, 12:18 PM
At first glance, I thought the caption read, "The game's ugliest uniform." I was surprised at the honesty.

jjasper0729
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM

I agree whole heartedly. Why mess with a good thing. It's not being fuddy duddy.. it's being CLASSIC. I don't even like the black highlights on the road blues. It shoudl be white with blue trim and blue with white trim.

jjasper0729
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
And why does the name on the back have to be at the bottom? It's like weird camera angles they are trying to use on televised games now. People look in certain places for certain things. Why does Nike (and espn/fox) feel the need to go changing convention like that... ugh.

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Why mess with a good thing. It's not being fuddy duddy.. it's being CLASSIC. I don't even like the black highlights on the road blues. It shoudl be white with blue trim and blue with white trim.

like this? 2325

jjasper0729
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
like this? 2325

why yes. thank you :)

The Gordog
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Tying this all together, the recyled plastic bottles used to make this particular batch of uniforms were all collected from the Comcast Center floor after being thrown at the Duke bench.

I thought they wer being collected from a landfill.

Wait.... nevermind.

</snark>

Native
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I would like to direct the board to Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference, 5C.

5C 5C 5C 5C

Seriously, Nike?

hurleyfor3
01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a hunch the fabric actually came from the New Mexico landfill into which Atari dumped those millions of E.T. and Pac-Man cartridges in 1983. It's got the same color and texture as the cartridges did, and time has given it that nice blue radioactive glow.

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM
why yes. thank you :)

You're welcome. I think the jerseys are just OK and should only be used maybe once per year. (Maybe make it a Duke-Maryland thing) But other than that, I love the white jerseys. the blue are ok but i would like to see the old blue and white like you mentioned. I actually like the black ones though. Only problem is, it seems like we lose every time we wear them.

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Wishes Nike would just fall off the face of the earth. Apparently ruining college football uniforms isn't enough and now they want to venture off into basketball land with camo jerseys and God only knows what else.

Nike has certainly introduced its share of gawdy jerseys, but most of the atrocities from this past football season (including the 2,000 different uniforms worn by Maryland) were made by Under Armor.

I don't like the inlaid image of the chapel that's been on our basketball jerseys the last few years. It looks like a microchip to me. Agree that the classic style jerseys are the best, minus the short shorts.

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Wow, they've invented a jersey that makes the player invisible! What we really need is one that makes a player disappear in just the last ten minutes of the game. We can call it the Lebron Edition. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

Dev11
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
When was the last time we wore jerseys that didn't say 'DUKE' in arched formation on the front of the jersey? Ever?

Not a fan of these, though I'll say that Nike generally comes up with some pretty awesome designs, especially for football. When they adhere to the school's normal scheme (looking at you, Michigan State with your weird gray and green football unis), it usually turns out ok.

SCMatt33
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't really think that they're all that terrible. I don't like the color n that they chose, but I'm not opposed to gray in general. Grey road unis have been the standard for years in baseball and many look good. I think a lighter gray wouldn't have been as bad. I absolutely love the soccer inspired championship stars on the back. It's a cool use of the back pattern thing that doesnt come off as super tacky. I also don't mind the nickname on he from instead of school name. I'm all for tradition, but a change up is cool every once in a while too. I only have a problem with this sort of thing when it gets overdone and you end up with teams like Oregon football with a completely new uni every week.

weezie
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Boo hiss! These are heinous. Ugh, they make me angry. Stupid Nike stupidheads.:mad:

-bdbd
01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Boo hiss! These are heinous. Ugh, they make me angry. Stupid Nike stupidheads.:mad:

Woaaah doggie - watch your tongue Weezie - this is a "family" site...
;)

Here's a USA Today article about the move, featuring some shots of the Syracuse version of the Platinum Uni's.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/01/syracuse-unveils-new-gray-nike-uniforms/1

Eh, not my favorites. But I say if it helps bring in money to ole DU, then I suppose I can survive this too. Now if they go on a long winning streak in them, well, they might just GROW on me...
:o

The Gordog
01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
And why does the name on the back have to be at the bottom? It's like weird camera angles they are trying to use on televised games now. People look in certain places for certain things. Why does Nike (and espn/fox) feel the need to go changing convention like that... ugh.

The things don't even say DUKE on them. We are not Blue Devils University for cryin out loud!

DevilBen02
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd also like to know how the players feel about the alternate unis. If they are excited to mix it up, I won't begrudge the program for making an occasional change (but hopefully in very limited doses of these hideous gray things).

I know a lot of people dislike the black road jerseys, but I seem to remember that the players liked wearing them. Whereas many pine for the classic blue-and-white-only uniforms, I could believe that what one person sees as timeless can be seen by another as stagnant. I would certainly hate for us to lose out on a recruit if any small part of the decision involves the perception that the program isn't current/hip/forward-looking.

Edouble
01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
The d4mn things don't even say DUKE on them. We are not Blue Devils University for cryin out loud!

When UNC and Michigan and a couple of other teams put their symbol on the front of their jerseys during the early 2000s, Coach K said that the front of our jerseys "will always say Duke"!!!!

jv001
01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't really think that they're all that terrible. I don't like the color n that they chose, but I'm not opposed to gray in general. Grey road unis have been the standard for years in baseball and many look good. I think a lighter gray wouldn't have been as bad. I absolutely love the soccer inspired championship stars on the back. It's a cool use of the back pattern thing that doesnt come off as super tacky. I also don't mind the nickname on he from instead of school name. I'm all for tradition, but a change up is cool every once in a while too. I only have a problem with this sort of thing when it gets overdone and you end up with teams like Oregon football with a completely new uni every week.

I love my St. Louis Cardinals, but I hate those gray uniforms they wear. If the Bird on the Bat can't make em look good, then it can't be done. GoDuke!

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I'd also like to know how the players feel about the alternate unis. If they are excited to mix it up, I won't begrudge the program for making an occasional change (but hopefully in very limited doses of these hideous gray things).

I know a lot of people dislike the black road jerseys, but I seem to remember that the players liked wearing them. Whereas many pine for the classic blue-and-white-only uniforms, I could believe that what one person sees as timeless can be seen by another as stagnant. I would certainly hate for us to lose out on a recruit if any small part of the decision involves the perception that the program isn't current/hip/forward-looking.

The players like them. And I believe curry even went as far to say that these were the best ones.

Dev11
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I know a lot of people dislike the black road jerseys, but I seem to remember that the players liked wearing them.

I posted this sometime in the past year, but the consensus at Duke and around the country is that 17-year-old athletes think black jerseys are cool. Since these are the kids we require to actually wear the jerseys, their opinions matter significantly. It is what it is.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
blue is that around the seams and on the shoes...looks about halfway between Duke and UNC blue...

A-Tex Devil
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Is there anything really all that bad about these if:

1. The players love them
2. They sell, making money for the university,
3. They are a limited engagement thing, and
4. The players love them?

I always chuckle when I see the "back in my day," "how dare they," "dey terk err uniferms" cries every time something like this happens, not just at Duke, but at other schools.

I just don't see the harm. There is a "cool" factor to these uniforms that I can't deny. I'm not a huge fan of any permanence here, and would prefer not to see them in the ACC tourney or anything like that, but if that's what the team wants, I'm cool with it.

But I remember thinking the black unis were cool when I saw them for the first time in Cameron against St. Joe's in 1996, so maybe I'm in the minority. Maybe the economy truly won't ever recover and world hunger won't ever end so long as Nike keeps tinkering with uniforms.

-bdbd
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Which Maryland game?

Just noticed that the USA Today article names the unveiling dates for all of the "Platinum Uni" teams, about 3/4 the way down.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/01/syracuse-unveils-new-gray-nike-uniforms/1

For Duke the date is 2/11, at home vs MD. Interestingly, NC@CH unveils theirs vs MD as well, on Feb. 29th.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM

1. The players love them

I always chuckle when I see the "back in my day," "how dare they," "dey terk err uniferms" cries every time something like this happens, not just at Duke, but at other schools.

I just don't see the harm. There is a "cool" factor to these uniforms that I can't deny. I'm not a huge fan of any permanence here, and would prefer not to see them in the ACC tourney or anything like that, but if that's what the team wants, I'm cool with it.

But I remember thinking the black unis were cool when I saw them for the first time in Cameron against St. Joe's in 1996, so maybe I'm in the minority. Maybe the economy truly won't ever recover and world hunger won't ever end so long as Nike keeps tinkering with uniforms.

From this chair, it isn't a question of economics or even simple nostalgia. Duke has is an "old-school" traditional basketball program. Myself, I've been following them for about 30 years and lots of people here see that as being a bit of a newbie. Regardless, I like pass-first PGs, four year players, jerseys that emphasize the name of the school, etc. etc. Is the game passing me by? Absolutely. Do I have to enjoy it? No. Can I come on-line and whine about it to people who relate? You bet!

Having said all that, I care a lot more about W's and L's than the color of the jersey. At least it will give us something to debate during the off season.

And as far as "the team wants it" - I'm going to disagree. Remember the super baggie shorts of the Fab Five in the early 1990's? If the "team wanted" that, how would you have felt? Ridiculous is ridiculous and the capricious interests and styles of 18 year old kids shouldn't trump long-standing tradition.

/I also hate "text speak."
//I swear I'm not as old as I sound.
///Get off my lawn!

Rich
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
I thought this was the world's lightest uniform

Indoor66
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
from goduke.com

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/DUKE_Platinum_Elite.pdf

Check out the text with the pdf. I didn't realize that the weight of uniforms was an issue. Can anyone enlighten me?

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I am an 18 year old myself and I probably know way more about duke basketball than most of you would give me credit for, being that I'm 18. But from my standpoint, I just think the uniforms are OK looking and should be used no more than once per year. I love the old school unis and mentality that duke has, as I was raised in an old fashioned home. But, and not trying to offend anyone, but most 18 year olds today want to look "hip" and up-to-date. And I could see how they would think that these unis are. Plus they are called "Nike elite platinum jerseys". That just sounds cool by itself. But like I said before, I still love the old school unis and I don't think we should ever change them.

Indoor66
01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Just noticed that the USA Today article names the unveiling dates for all of the "Platinum Uni" teams, about 3/4 the way down.

For Duke the date is 2/11, at home vs MD. Interestingly, NC@CH unveils theirs vs MD as well, on Feb. 29th.

Got to contrast all that UnderArmor junk MD wears.

luvdahops
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM

1. The players love them

While I also miss the classic blue and white unis (and applaud Coach Cut for eliminating black from our football uniforms), I am not terribly bothered by either the increasingly frequent tinkering with uniforms in college sports or the OCCASIONAL use of alternate versions. What I am bothered by is the increasing amount of sheer ugliness that I see, as well as the growing practice of taking the notion of alternate versions to absured extremes. This is a much bigger problem in college football, with dark on dark jersey/pants combos, stripes of varying shape, size and location, mix and match combos that sometimes don't include - even as trim - a school's offical colors (OREGON!), illegible numbers and names, contrived "throwback" versions, etc. But college hoops uniforms as a whole are suffering from similar insidious trends. And that's unfortunate in my view.

I can't say I like these for us, but the Platimum unis in general are far less offensive aesthetically than any of Nike's Pro Combat football uniforms.

Dev11
01-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Two UNC-related things.

First, in the ESPN article that I believe is just the press release, Kendall Marshall notes that all of the games where these uniforms will appear are against opponents who don't wear Nike. The list includes notable programs like UCLA and Maryland. Interesting observation, I wonder if it was intentional.

Second, we are happy to note that Nike does not recognize the Helms championship, as the UNC jerseys have 5 stars. Now I must take a shower because I had to open Inside Carolina to figure this out (curiosity overcame my normal inclination to avoid that particular site).

loran16
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
While I also miss the classic blue and white unis (and applaud Coach Cut for eliminating black from our football uniforms), I am not terribly bothered by either the increasingly frequent tinkering with uniforms in college sports or the OCCASIONAL use of alternate versions. What I am bothered by is the increasing amount of sheer ugliness that I see, as well as the growing practice of taking the notion of alternate versions to absured extremes. This is a much bigger problem in college football, with dark on dark jersey/pants combos, stripes of varying shape, size and location, mix and match combos that sometimes don't include - even as trim - a school's offical colors (OREGON!), illegible numbers and names, contrived "throwback" versions, etc. But college hoops uniforms as a whole are suffering from similar insidious trends. And that's unfortunate in my view.

I can't say I like these for us, but the Platimum unis in general are far less offensive aesthetically than any of Nike's Pro Combat football uniforms.

Did you watch football this season? We went all black at least twice. In fact we went half black half white i think for one game.

mikegismynewhero
01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
these uniforms are absolutely awesome! aside from the stars on the back there isnt a thing i dont like about them...people are fans of oregon because of their cocky unis...now nike is getting cocky with duke and if we continue with these bold uniform styles we may attract more fans..which in my mind never a bad thing.

CLW
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Nike has certainly introduced its share of gawdy jerseys, but most of the atrocities from this past football season (including the 2,000 different uniforms worn by Maryland) were made by Under Armor.

I don't like the inlaid image of the chapel that's been on our basketball jerseys the last few years. It looks like a microchip to me. Agree that the classic style jerseys are the best, minus the short shorts.

This is true perhaps explaining the "coincidence" that both Duke and UNC will use their ugly bball jerseys against the Terps Under Armor squad. I'm afraid the football trend is coming to basketball now and it is only a matter of time before the Duke shorts have "flames" or "devil horns" or some other such nonsense and Duke blue is replaced with highlighter blue.

luvdahops
01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Did you watch football this season? We went all black at least twice. In fact we went half black half white i think for one game.

Only saw the Stanford game and parts of some others on TV. Knew we went all black in the opener (gimmicky, in my view, especially in conjunction with running on the field to AC/DC), but wasn't aware of other times. In any event, was referring to the base (i.e. non-alternate) uniforms, which had included a fair amount of black in the Franks and Roof eras.

jjasper0729
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Only saw the Stanford game and parts of some others on TV. Knew we went all black in the opener (gimmicky, in my view, especially in conjunction with running on the field to AC/DC), but wasn't aware of other times. In any event, was referring to the base (i.e. non-alternate) uniforms, which had included a fair amount of black in the Franks and Roof eras.

I also seem to recall that Coach Cut said if we lost in the black the second time, that was it for the combination. We did so let's see how that works out.

devildeac
01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
I think we need a buncha these on our unis, no matter what color:

Rich
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I am an 18 year old myself and I probably know way more about duke basketball than most of you would give me credit for, being that I'm 18. But from my standpoint, I just think the uniforms are OK looking and should be used no more than once per year. I love the old school unis and mentality that duke has, as I was raised in an old fashioned home. But, and not trying to offend anyone, but most 18 year olds today want to look "hip" and up-to-date. And I could see how they would think that these unis are. Plus they are called "Nike elite platinum jerseys". That just sounds cool by itself. But like I said before, I still love the old school unis and I don't think we should ever change them.

Sorry, I didn't quite catch your age. :rolleyes:

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't quite catch your age. :rolleyes:

Haha sorry. Gotta work on my repetitiveness huh? Haha

OldPhiKap
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I thought this was the world's lightest uniform

"The rose goes in the front, big guy."

SCMatt33
01-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Hadn't seen this yet, but here's the warm-up jacket. Also, I haven't seen this link yet for all of the details (http://www.nikeinc.com/news/nike-launches-hyper-elite-platinum-basketball-uniforms#/inline/6783) of each teams uni.

Nacho
01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
The things don't even say DUKE on them. We are not Blue Devils University for cryin out loud!

It's D-U-K-E

not "Blue Devils"

Anyone can be a Blue Devil (just watch the high school in my town) , but there is only one DUKE

If we're going to take a name off the uniforms, take the name off the BACKS, since they are not as important as the name on the front.

Not that it will make a difference to Nike, but I won't buy any Nike anymore - and especially any Nike Duke merchandise. Just because you CAN do something (mess with uniforms) doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Nacho

Verga3
01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
As a one-timer deal, I'm good with it. I'm sure the players will enjoy wearing them. But, they are pretty hideous IMO and way too far away from "classic, storied, and traditional"...Like our "program, arena, and Coach." I agree with those that have opined that we bring back a more "old school" uni, updated discretely. The players wearing these uniforms are here for awhile...the Duke program is timeless. Nice try with the subdued Chapel on the back, but let's rethink. Does anyone have photos of all the uniforms we have donned over the past 40 years?

throatybeard
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Maybe we're rebranding. Everyone hates Duke, right? So we'll fly under the radar for a season, roster bursting at the seems with Plumlees, moseying along as BDU.

throatybeard
01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I would like to direct the board to Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference, 5C.

5C 5C 5C 5C

Seriously, Nike?

Thank you...I was proud of that particular entry.

These new things are truly hideous, and I remain staunch in my now 16-season opposition to the black jerseys. But for some reason the Duke Chapel shrinky dink prints introduced in 2009 have grown on me a little.

Steven43
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
like this? 2325

Wow, just look at the talent in that photo. Duhon, Williams, Ewing, Deng, and Redick. How did we NOT win the national championship that year?

Steven43
01-25-2012, 07:58 PM
I posted this sometime in the past year, but the consensus at Duke and around the country is that 17-year-old athletes think black jerseys are cool. Since these are the kids we require to actually wear the jerseys, their opinions matter significantly. It is what it is.

If I were the one deciding which jersey the Duke University basketball team is to wear the opinion of the players would not factor into my decision at all. What would factor in the most by far is what jersey the team has traditionally worn.

DaleDuke7
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, just look at the talent in that photo. Duhon, Williams, Ewing, Deng, and Redick. How did we NOT win the national championship that year?

You know, when i found that photo, I thought the EXACT same thing. Oh so many things that could have been.

Cell-R
01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Are the supposed to be wearing the new jerseys or did I misread the schedule?

JNort
01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
these uniforms are absolutely awesome! aside from the stars on the back there isnt a thing i dont like about them...people are fans of oregon because of their cocky unis...now nike is getting cocky with duke and if we continue with these bold uniform styles we may attract more fans..which in my mind never a bad thing.

Could not agree more! These thing look very nice and would be a nice mix every now and then. I do not want them but for maybe like a game or two per year.

CLW
01-25-2012, 11:06 PM
My nephew has seen these and apparently wants them something bad. His bday is coming up anyone know if/when these hideous things go on sale?

BlueHeaven
01-25-2012, 11:12 PM
If I were the one deciding which jersey the Duke University basketball team is to wear the opinion of the players would not factor into my decision at all. What would factor in the most by far is what jersey the team has traditionally worn.

I wouldn't even consider that; I would only factor in what uniforms has the team won the most often. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM

Think it is set for our game in Durham.

BlueHeaven
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't even consider that; I would only factor in what uniforms has the team won the most often. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

That may or may not have made sense; I've had a couple glasses of wine. I thought they were wearing the aforementioned ugly uniforms tonight? I didn't see them.

burnspbesq
01-25-2012, 11:16 PM

We are wearing them for the home game vs. MD.

The uni is hideous. The jacket has possibilities.

bluedevilfan1998
01-25-2012, 11:17 PM
They're not that bad..And they are only for one game.

KenTankerous
01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I really like the color schemes. The neutral gray makes the school colors pop, especially the sleeve. And I especially like the reverse sides with the graphic "sweat marks" and player name below the number. It's sophisticated and innovative and I wish I could get a #30 Scheyer or #21 Nelson for my Dukie ladylove.

I am not a fan of "Blue Devils" as opposed to DUKE. But at least it isn't some hackneyed abbreviation like they did to Syracuse and Connecticut.

hurleyfor3
01-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Paul Lukas' take:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/01/26/nike-releases-new-super-duper-hyper-mega-whatever-college-basketball-uniforms/

jjasper0729
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Paul Lukas' take:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/01/26/nike-releases-new-super-duper-hyper-mega-whatever-college-basketball-uniforms/

"Reader Brandi Bennett sees another problem: “I spent seven years behind the scorer’s table at every conceivable level of basketball, from high school to pro. Just looking at these pictures, I can tell it’s going to be impossible to stat a game with these jerseys. How are you supposed to call something when you can’t even see the numbers? These numbers are barely distinguishable from the rest of the jersey. Wait until a tournament when the stat crew is unfamiliar with the players because they haven’t statted a season of home games for every team on the court.”"

It will be interesting to see how the numbers appear on these things. I always comment during warm ups about whether or not the jersey numbers are easy to read on the visiting teams' uniforms. Luckily I know our guys so I can associate the number with the face. It's a good thing I guess that it's to be worn once (at least this season) and the home team will be wearing it. It will indeed get tricky if it expands in the subsequent seasons.

I also thought that in basketball the home team wore WHITE or at least a light color. That gray is kind of dark. And finally, I totally don't like the "Blue Devils" on the front. It should say DUKE!

Stray Gator
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but apparently the stars on the back of these jerseys represent the number of national championships that the particular program has won--so the UF version has two stars, and the Duke version has four stars. My first thought was that I wonder how Coach K feels about that "emblem," given his general philosophy that each season is a new "journey" and each team must earn its own trophies or accolades. My second thought was that it's a good thing Nike isn't trying something like this with Alabama football jerseys, since there is heated dispute about how many national championships the Tide has actually won. :)

burnspbesq
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
the stars on the back of these jerseys represent the number of national championships that the particular program has won--so the UF version has two stars, and the Duke version has four stars.

Good thing the UCLA men and the Tennessee women wear adidas. That would have really tested the limits of the design concept.

Ichabod Drain
01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but apparently the stars on the back of these jerseys represent the number of national championships that the particular program has won--so the UF version has two stars, and the Duke version has four stars. My first thought was that I wonder how Coach K feels about that "emblem," given his general philosophy that each season is a new "journey" and each team must earn its own trophies or accolades. My second thought was that it's a good thing Nike isn't trying something like this with Alabama football jerseys, since there is heated dispute about how many national championships the Tide has actually won. :)

On the note of Alabama and their dispute of national titles, I wondered whether UNC would have five or six stars on their jerseys. I looked it up and there are only five.

Here you can see multiple views of each teams gear.

http://www.nikeblog.com/2012/01/25/nike-hyper-elite-platinum-uniforms-9-iconic-basketball-programs/

Ketucky Men's and UConn Women's are obviously the most crowded of them.

DukieInKansas
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
That may or may not have made sense; I've had a couple glasses of wine. I thought they were wearing the aforementioned ugly uniforms tonight? I didn't see them.

Apparently, you had enough wine so that you didn't notice the uniforms. ;)

As others have said - they will be worn on 2/11/12 - the home game against MD.

devildeac
01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Apparently, you had enough wine so that you didn't notice the uniforms. ;)

As others have said - they will be worn on 2/11/12 - the home game against MD.

Oooh, that's another Chalk Talk event that I'll be attending with Mrs. devildeac and Ozzie so we'll report back on the coach's words of wisdom and how good (?)/bad they look in person.

Duvall
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Luke Winn weighs in: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/01/26/power.rankings/index.html)

There was much hand-wringing, and deservedly so, over Nike's latest push toward a color-neutral college basketball world: the release of the "Hyper Elite Platinum" jerseys that will be worn over the next month by eight former championship teams. Syracuse is one of those teams, and as Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician reports, the Orange will wear "platinums" against South Florida on Feb. 22. Do not confuse these with the gray alternate jerseys that more than 20 Nike schools have worn this season. The platinums are apparently five percent lighter, which, combined with the further erosion of soul/identity that the teams wearing them experience, should make players almost float, apparition-like, and allow them to throw down super-sick dunks.

(Really, though, look at that picture from the unveiling. It's like some post-apocalyptic scene where school spirit and identity have almost completely disappeared, and everyone has been auto-drafted into a Sneaker Army whose various battalions are named after the institutions over which Nike has now assumed total control. The goal is no longer to bring glory to your school; it's to destroy Adidas. In other words, like a heavier-handed version of AAU.)

uh_no
01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
uconn is wearing their new "platinum" unis for their home game ATM.

They are awful....look like something i might have made in 7th grade home-ec