PDA

View Full Version : Anunike, Butler and Connette receive medical redshirts

jimsumner
01-24-2012, 03:20 PM
From Duke press release.

"The Atlantic Coast Conference has granted Kenny Anunike, Lee Butler and Brandon Connette medical hardship waivers for the 2011 season, providing a fifth season of eligibility for all three Blue Devils."

mkline09
01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
The ACC granted the Medical Redshirt? I thought that the NCAA had to do that? That is interesting, something I never knew before.

pbc2
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Josh Snead was also redshirted. This will be one of Duke's more experienced teams this fall.

devildeac
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
From Duke press release.

"The Atlantic Coast Conference has granted Kenny Anunike, Lee Butler and Brandon Connette medical hardship waivers for the 2011 season, providing a fifth season of eligibility for all three Blue Devils."

The ACC granted the Medical Redshirt? I thought that the NCAA had to do that? That is interesting, something I never knew before.

Is there a difference between the redshirt and the medical hardship waiver? You mentioned both in your post. I'll guess it has to do with # or % of games played and whether it involves sitting out completely to "mature" a year or sitting out part of a year due to injury early on in that year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Josh Snead was also redshirted. This will be one of Duke's more experienced teams this fall.
That's the sort of news I like to hear! The next couple of years are looking more and more promising.;)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Very good news for three favorite players! :cool:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205367573&DB_OEM_ID=4200&fb_source=message

dukereport
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM

I can't wait to see Josh get some real playing time. The kid has speed and needs to be unleashed.

Olympic Fan
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Is there a difference between the redshirt and the medical hardship waiver?

There's no process or approval needed for getting a redshirt. Every recruited athlete has five years to play four. He can sit out any of his first four seasons -- no permission from anybody required.

That's a redshirt ... Josh Snead, even though his season was delayed by a preseason injury, never played last season, so he is a redshirt. He played as a true freshman, redshirted last season, and will play next season as a sophomore (eligibility wise). The majority of freshmen redshirt these days, but it can be any year. For instance, Danny Parker played his first three years at Duke, then redshirted his fourth year and played last season as a redshirt senior.

But you can not redshirt if you play even one play in a real game. If you play a limited number of games in the first half of the season (I think it's four games -- although they have changed the limit a couple of times) and are then injured, you can apply for a medical hardship. It's usually granted.

That's the rule that will give Annunike, Butler and Connette an extra year.

The same deal applies to basketball, although the limits for medical hardship are different.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm very happy to hear this about Anunike, he had a real promising start this year with lots of positive press. Also happy for Connette that he gets another year, but I'm not sure if I'm as happy for me. Good lord I hate the Connette package. (Although if he gets the field all to himself either after Sean graduates or by just flatly outplaying him, I'll be happy with that too.)

chrishoke
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Anunike is so key to next year's pass rush.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm very happy to hear this about Anunike, he had a real promising start this year with lots of positive press. Also happy for Connette that he gets another year, but I'm not sure if I'm as happy for me. Good lord I hate the Connette package. (Although if he gets the field all to himself either after Sean graduates or by just flatly outplaying him, I'll be happy with that too.)
The redshirt will put him a year behind Boone, too. But we have a HS QB that, assuming he inks his LOI on 2/1, may be better than all of them, or so I heard. He'll probably redshirt his true freshman year too.

devildeac
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
There's no process or approval needed for getting a redshirt. Every recruited athlete has five years to play four. He can sit out any of his first four seasons -- no permission from anybody required.

That's a redshirt ... Josh Snead, even though his season was delayed by a preseason injury, never played last season, so he is a redshirt. He played as a true freshman, redshirted last season, and will play next season as a sophomore (eligibility wise). The majority of freshmen redshirt these days, but it can be any year. For instance, Danny Parker played his first three years at Duke, then redshirted his fourth year and played last season as a redshirt senior.

But you can not redshirt if you play even one play in a real game. If you play a limited number of games in the first half of the season (I think it's four games -- although they have changed the limit a couple of times) and are then injured, you can apply for a medical hardship. It's usually granted.

That's the rule that will give Annunike, Butler and Connette an extra year.

The same deal applies to basketball, although the limits for medical hardship are different.

Thanks. That's the way I thought I understood how it worked but the clarification helps.

Olympic Fan
01-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The redshirt will put him a year behind Boone, too. But we have a HS QB that, assuming he inks his LOI on 2/1, may be better than all of them, or so I heard. He'll probably redshirt his true freshman year too.

Actually, by getting a hardship year, Connette is now in the same year with Boone. The both arrived together, but Connette played as a true freshman in 2010, while Boone redshirted. Both played last season -- but Connette got that year as a hardship year.

That means they will both be sophomores (eligibility wise) next season.

Duke's QB depth by class next season will be:

Senior -- Renfree (a fifth year senior)
Junior -- Sean Schroeder (a fourth-year junior)
Sophomore -- Brandon Connette, Anthony Boone (both third-year sophs)
Freshman -- Thomas Sirk (assuming he signs as expected ... he will be a true freshman and will probably redshirt)

Schroeder has done some holding on placekicks, but has never seen action as a QB. I don't think he's in the 2013 mix (after Renfree graduates). I expect that season to see Connette, Boone and Sirk fight it out for the starting job.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
That last I heard Thomas Sirk enrolled this semester. Perhaps someone closer to the program than I am can confirm that.;)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Actually, by getting a hardship year, Connette is now in the same year with Boone. The both arrived together, but Connette played as a true freshman in 2010, while Boone redshirted. Both played last season -- but Connette got that year as a hardship year.

That means they will both be sophomores (eligibility wise) next season.

Duke's QB depth by class next season will be:

Senior -- Renfree (a fifth year senior)
Junior -- Sean Schroeder (a fourth-year junior)
Sophomore -- Brandon Connette, Anthony Boone (both third-year sophs)
Freshman -- Thomas Sirk (assuming he signs as expected ... he will be a true freshman and will probably redshirt)

Schroeder has done some holding on placekicks, but has never seen action as a QB. I don't think he's in the 2013 mix (after Renfree graduates). I expect that season to see Connette, Boone and Sirk fight it out for the starting job.
Ah, thanks for the correction on Boone. I'd forgotten that he never saw action his true freshman year.

As for Sean Schroeder, he saw his first game action at QB last season at the end of the Tulane game. I met his mom (and his aunt) at the FIU game after the game and congratulated her on his getting in. We briefly discussed how, um, different his career at Duke has turned out than what he had hoped. He should graduate in May; what his plans are for next year hadn't been decided as of last October, if you catch my drift.

jimsumner
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Ah, thanks for the correction on Boone. I'd forgotten that he never saw action his true freshman year.

As for Sean Schroeder, he saw his first game action at QB last season at the end of the Tulane game. I met his mom (and his aunt) at the FIU game after the game and congratulated her on his getting in. We briefly discussed how, um, different his career at Duke has turned out than what he had hoped. He should graduate in May; what his plans are for next year hadn't been decided as of last October, if you catch my drift.

At one of last season's Tuesday media lunches, Cut went out of his way to praise Schroeder for continuing to compete for PT. No one had asked about Schroeder and I'm not even sure we were discussing QBs. So, he's making a positive impression.

pbc2
01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
That last I heard Thomas Sirk enrolled this semester. Perhaps someone closer to the program than I am can confirm that.;)

Sirk is enrolled. The plan is to redshirt him and he's on board with that after only playing one year at QB.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Sirk is enrolled. The plan is to redshirt him and he's on board with that after only playing one year at QB.

Thomas is a very nice young man with a lot of class.... and that's in addition to his qualifications as a football player.