PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
It is time to move on so let's get the Maryland game discussion going. Here is a link to the game notes:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205367249&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'll post the Vegas line and over/under later today after I am home from work.

superdave
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
They are naming the court (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-gary-williams-court-label-will-appear-in-two-spots-20120124,0,1247947.story) after Gary. Anyone else miss the guy? He was always good for taking a shot at someone, making a comment that revealed a high level of insecurity and most importantly having his guys ready for a fight.

-bdbd
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
They are naming the court (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-gary-williams-court-label-will-appear-in-two-spots-20120124,0,1247947.story) after Gary. Anyone else miss the guy? He was always good for taking a shot at someone, making a comment that revealed a high level of insecurity and most importantly having his guys ready for a fight.

I was posting this on the "Comcast Parking" string but here's a couple Washington Post links re the court-naming festivities, including some pictures:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...GTLQ_blog.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...isrc=nl_sports

They also mention that fans are encouraged to arrive early b/c the court will be named in honor of Gary Williams at 8:40PM.

Last night MD held a reception in anticipation of the Gary Williams court-naming event on Wed. Apparently one of the highlights was Coach K classily toasting his good friend Gary via video. Some interesting photos at the bottom, including a new logo on the exterior of the building (featuring a fist-pumping Gary Williams in silouette). Also of note, another poster pointed out that, despite the 35-degree outside gametime temperature, the fact that this is the first day of the resumption of classes bodes ill on the "possibility of rioting" scale...

As for game notes, Maryland's 7'1" Center, Alex Len, late signee from the Ukraine, who sat out about ten games due to an NCAA ruling re. his prior play overseas, just injured his ankle against Temple last week and only played 7 minutes. Turgeon just confirmed that he WILL play vs. Duke, but they still don't know how much. Doesn't sound like he's 100%. That should help us as the turtles are thin and don't have muchg size even with Len. Looking for a good game from our bigs, MP1 and MP2.

moonpie23
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
They also mention that fans are encouraged to arrive early b/c the court will be named in honor of Gary Williams at 8:40PM.

you mean the guy they forced out???

-jk
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
you mean the guy they forced out???Um... You're maybe thinking of the football coach? Gary surprised everyone with his retirement. -jk

BluDvlsN1
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I had a healthy respect for Gary Williams, he was a fierce competitor, he gave it his all!
I enjoyed watching his teams play!
Got to admit, he came up with some long athletic 3's & 4's that seemed to come out of nowhere, and be all everything on the court!

I miss him!

BUT one of my all time fondest memories, was at his expense!
"The Miracle Minute"... Gotta love it!!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ycn-7719026

weezie
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, it's a lot quieter in the DC media since Gary isn't able to whine incessantly to the press.
More time to devote to the rampant speculation that Shanahan might want Peyton for QB. lol

jv001
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, it's a lot quieter in the DC media since Gary isn't able to whine incessantly to the press.
More time to devote to the rampant speculation that Shanahan might want Peyton for QB. lol

Gary seemed to be a good guy but he did complain to the press as much as he did the refs. And could he sweat. Plus I think he could have done more to keep the twerp fans civilized. I'm sure Coach K will be gracious because they seemed to be on a friendly basis. GoDuke!

Indoor66
01-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Heck, I miss Lefty!

MarkD83
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Heck, I miss Lefty!

Especially after the Herman Veal signs at Cameron when he channeled his inner Cameron Crazy. In responding to a reporter's question about being offended by the signs in Cameron, Lefty responded "No I'm not offended I'm a Duke grad, I can't read".

Bob Green
01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
The Vegas line has Duke as an 11 points favorite with the over/under set at 150.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

We should be looking at a score in the neighborhood of 81-70.

devildeac
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
The Vegas line has Duke as an 11 points favorite with the over/under set at 150.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

We should be looking at a score in the neighborhood of 81-70.

I'm going to start putting the hex on you, Bob. Your post for the f$u game was over/under at 143 with a score of 77-66 and we saw how that one ended:(:mad:.

Dukehky
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
20 point win tomorrow. Angry Austin drops 30

Bob Green
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm going to start putting the hex on you, Bob. Your post for the f$u game was over/under at 143 with a score of 77-66 and we saw how that one ended:(:mad:.

I'm not making predictions here just taking the line and the over/under and calculating the score which meets the criteria. :cool:

Devilsfan
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Hope no one gets hurt slipping on the soon to be "sweaty" court.

-bdbd
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Hope no one gets hurt slipping on the soon to be "sweaty" court.

LOL!! :p

gep
01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Gary seemed to be a good guy but he did complain to the press as much as he did the refs. And could he sweat. Plus I think he could have done more to keep the twerp fans civilized. I'm sure Coach K will be gracious because they seemed to be on a friendly basis. GoDuke!

I, too, will miss Gary Williams. He was SO into the games. His incessant complaining and yelling and sweating showed his passion and total involvement in the game... I appreciated that. I especially enjoyed watching Gary turn to the bench to yell at the players on the bench when a player on the court makes a dumb mistake... just too funny. I thought I read somewhere that one of the bench players actually said "Coach, there's nothing I can do from here"... or something like that.

After all, he took Maryland to their only 2 FF's, and their only NC... and he was there for 20+ years, in addition to be an alumnus. And, I liked his 2001 and 2002 teams... especially Juan Dixon.

gofurman
01-24-2012, 11:59 PM

for those that think we have no D this year the vegas line is objective proof that indeed we are having higher scoring games than even the public will allow: 13 games over and 5 under. that's a fair imbalance. All the early games went over.. only recently has the line adjusted for such high scores. interesting to a numbers nerd

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-....cfm/team/duke if my link doesn't work use the one from bob above a few posts

ChicagoCrazy84
01-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Does anyone know Quinn Cook's status for tomorrow and beyond? We need him to be healthy going forward. He gives us nice depth/speed, and play-making ability in the backcourt. I hope he's ok to go.

jv001
01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know Quinn Cook's status for tomorrow and beyond? We need him to be healthy going forward. He gives us nice depth/speed, and play-making ability in the backcourt. I hope he's ok to go.

Someone said that Coach K doesn't give out this information until right before game time. Mr. Sumner, Airowe and Mike Corey could probably confirm this. GoDuke!

NSDukeFan
01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm not making predictions here just taking the line and the over/under and calculating the score which meets the criteria. :cool:

Who should we direct our anger/frustration towards, then, if the game doesn't go how we would like? ;)

ChillinDuke
01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm really jacked for this game! Maryland is my most hated ACC opponent (hate in the competitive sense). Especially when we're at Maryland, it just gets my blood boiling. Can't wait to see how we play!

I will admit though that I do miss Gary Williams. He was an intense competitor and instilled this desire in his players. I respected him and his teams, and always felt they brought a sense of urgency to ACC games that I wish the rest of the conference had [recently]. Especially against Duke, although most teams bring urgency against us.

Let's get 'em tonight, boys!!!

- Chillin

gw67
01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
DBR was very nice to Gary W. and this year's team in their pre-game write-up this morning; however, unless Dixon, Blake, Baxter and Wilcox have some remaining elgibility and suit up tonight, I don't expect a close game. While this year's team has improved over the disaster that opened the season, they are still the worst shooting and worst passing Maryland team that I can recall and I have been following them for 40 years. They have only one player who can be counted on to make either a medium or long range jump shot. Their two top rated recruits the past two years, Faust and Parker, while very good run-jump athletes, sadly lack the basketball skills (dribble, pass, shoot) that you would expect to see in players who have played organized basketball for several years. They are both decent defensive players but they average a combined 46 minutes a game. I suspect that on many of the ACC teams, their total playing time would be closer to 10-15 minutes per game. The rest of the team is made up of average, below average and raw players. I suspect only Stoglin and Mosley would play meaningful minutes on top ACC teams.

The strength of the team is their defensive play. They are not in the class of Florida State or Virginia but they generally make the opposition work for their shots. If they can contain the Devils 3-point shooting they can keep it to a 10-12 point loss, otherwise, it could get very ugly.

gw67

DukeWarhead
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow. A lot of optimism on here about tonight's game, and I suppose it's warranted, but I dunno. I recall how close the GT game was, and should not have been. Given all the questions that still linger about this Duke team and the "nothing to lose" thing going for Maryland in this game, I'm expecting another frustratingly close game. I'll very pleasantly suprised if Duke wins easily. At this point, any win is good. Just win.

jv001
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow. A lot of optimism on here about tonight's game, and I suppose it's warranted, but I dunno. I recall how close the GT game was, and should not have been. Given all the questions that still linger about this Duke team and the "nothing to lose" thing going for Maryland in this game, I'm expecting another frustratingly close game. I'll very pleasantly suprised if Duke wins easily. At this point, any win is good. Just win.

If come out and set the Terps back on their heels(not unc type), we should win by 11-15 points. But if they hit a few shots and get confidence, then it could be a close game. At this point in the season, I really don't know what to expect. I would hope after the loss to FSU we come out fired up and focused. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
this year's team has not shown the ability to put any teams away. Minus teams from weak conferences, Duke has not been able to continually build a lead all the way through a game. Leadership, heart and chemistry have been lacking. If that continues in this game, MD could walk away with a win. Even if Duke plays reasonably well by this year's standards a 5 pt win would be quite good.

rsvman
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Can't wait to get the bad taste out of my mouth that still lingers after that last-second Florida State buzzer-beater loss.

-bdbd
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Heck, I miss Lefty!

Actually, Lefty's not too thrilled about the court being named for Gary Williams...
(maybe it's just the Duke-grad in him!)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/marylands-decision-to-name-comcast-center-floor-for-former-coach-gary-williams-not-cheered-by-all/2012/01/25/gIQAzRAOQQ_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_sports

Billy Dat
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
this year's team has not shown the ability to put any teams away. Minus teams from weak conferences, Duke has not been able to continually build a lead all the way through a game. Leadership, heart and chemistry have been lacking. If that continues in this game, MD could walk away with a win. Even if Duke plays reasonably well by this year's standards a 5 pt win would be quite good.

My only quibble with your comment is about heart. I feel like we have played consistently hard and always shown effort, which, to me, means playing with heart/guts. I agree that leadership is not established and chemistry, always ellusive, seems to be lacking. But, as long as we show the effort, we'll keep getting better. This team can still make a leap, and it has to come on D.

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
My only quibble with your comment is about heart. I feel like we have played consistently hard and always shown effort, which, to me, means playing with heart/guts. I agree that leadership is not established and chemistry, always ellusive, seems to be lacking. But, as long as we show the effort, we'll keep getting better. This team can still make a leap, and it has to come on D.

I agree that this team plays hard, or at least doesn't slack off on the court. I think that is a different thing than playing with heart. Playing with heart is kinda like "intangibles", hard to define. It's kinda like playing hard, but also playing with i'm-gonna-rip-your-heart-out-mixed-with-clutch attitude. This team hasn't shown that to date.
I also agree that this team can improve (not sure about a "leap" though) and that it has to come on D.

Billy Dat
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree that this team plays hard, or at least doesn't slack off on the court. I think that is a different thing than playing with heart. Playing with heart is kinda like "intangibles", hard to define. It's kinda like playing hard, but also playing with i'm-gonna-rip-your-heart-out-mixed-with-clutch attitude. This team hasn't shown that to date.
I also agree that this team can improve (not sure about a "leap" though) and that it has to come on D.

Good distinction - well put.

DMV2434
01-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Quinn just tweeted "Wish I could go to battle with my brothers tonight. They gon hold it down though. @TheRealGbinije and I will be watching. #DUKE. RiP DAD!" Does Gbinije have an injury I don't know about or is Quinn just implying he will be on the bench with him?

Duvall
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Quinn just tweeted "Wish I could go to battle with my brothers tonight. They gon hold it down though. @TheRealGbinije and I will be watching. #DUKE. RiP DAD!" Does Gbinije have an injury I don't know about or is Quinn just implying he will be on the bench with him?

Illness. (https://twitter.com/#!/stevewisemanNC/status/162332929744310272)

CAT Blue Devil
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Quality signal on DirecTV for the Duke Game... Excellent.

Hearing Len Elmore calling the preceding game to the Duke game...... Priceless.

riverside6
01-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters are posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10535

gep
01-25-2012, 09:11 PM
wow... on first glance, it was weird not seeing Gary Williams on the bench...

throatybeard
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Sweet fancy Moses, what is Maryland wearing?

I'm having flashbacks to Tony Massenburg and Derrick Lewis.

Devilsfan
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Some please tell our players that Duke starts with a D!

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
It really is amazing that we still can't rotate on help defense. We haven't been able to since 2010 but you'd think a Junior and Senior could rotate a bit better.

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
We keep going under the screens and leaving them wide open for threes up top. Need to either fight through or switch!

chaosmage
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I thought an air ball had to hit NOTHING to be an air ball. Someone remind the Maryland fans of that...

hurleyfor3
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
That "Gary" on the court looks an awful lot like "Roy".

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
OMG, anyone want to make a bet on how many dunks and/or layups we're going to give up tonight??? Jeez...I know it's not exactly groundbreaking to say that our D is bad but...wow, this is AWFUL!!! :mad:

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 09:28 PM
OMG, anyone want to make a bet on how many dunks and/or layups we're going to give up tonight??? Jeez...I know it's not exactly groundbreaking to say that our D is bad but...wow, this is AWFUL!!! :mad:

Yeah I know we have a whole thread where everyone puts in their ideas but why aren't we mimicking what we did in 2010. Sag off on penetration, its not like we steal the ball an awful lot.

wgl1228
We are not even contesting the ball under the basket. Are our bigs scared to foul?

ChrisP
Jeez, what about the charge Ryan just took that wasn't called??? Then gets called for a foul on the ground - WTF???

chaosmage
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Do moving screens only get called outside of the 3-pt. line? Honest question, never played.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Oy, it's gonna be a long night with these refs!!!! :mad:

DukeHoopsGuru
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
I am getting nauseated watching Maryland get into the paint at will.

sporthenry
When we fall over guys on the ground, we get called for a travel but when they fall over us, its a trip. You'd think that rule would be established to the point where it is either one way or the other.

Mr.Analogy

I agree, they are trying to dunk everything now....

gotoguy
We need to tighten up the defense

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Seriously Josh? That's the best shot we could get there??? Sorry, but we are playing DUMB right now!

chaosmage
Nice move Josh!! Do that more!

sporthenry
Like that play, why is Dawkins within two feet when the other guy drives right past him. Make the guy shoot out of rhythym as opposed to giving him the lane. Give him 5 feet. That is also poor scouting or execution since Faust is 19% from 3.

Cameron
I understand trying to do the Norm Stewart autograph thing, but Gary's just looks terrible. That type of court inscription should be left only to people who don't have unintelligible handwriting. Or at least make the name bigger.

We apparently have more important things to worry about, however, considering we aren't playing defense around the rim.

throatybeard
01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
That "Gary" on the court looks an awful lot like "Roy".

Makes one wonder what will get named for Roy.

The Dean Dome has a shelf life. It's one of those places that looks state of the art when it opens and looks like a dark, boring, rectangular hunk of junk in a decade, like the Charlotte Coliseum. It was already looking dated when I attended Duke-UNC there in 1997. (Loss, but Wojo career high of 18 on 6-7 3s. They outrebounded us something like 49-18. Roshown McLeod was knocked out cold on the floor by an elbow, I think friendly fire from Greg Newton. The Carolina fans cheered.).

When they replace that concrete monstrosity, what, ten-fifteen years from now, presumably they name name the new building after Dean too. Does Roy get a court? Or maybe just a wing. He does have two titles though.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 09:36 PM
No coach should get a court named after them with such a poor graduation rate.

Just keep pumping it inside...

SCMatt33
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I just don't get the defensive style at all. We're coming way outside the three point line, doubling with bigs on ball screens, yet didn't generate a turnover until almost 12 minutes into the game. Even that one was a moving screen. All those doubles leave guys open and since its with bigs on the perimeter, that guy is usually inside. If it is outside, the help doesn't have time to get back. This team has been pretty good at defensive rebounding all year, so why not play back a little.

Cell-R
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
They just showed a picture of the 2006 NCAA National Championship banner... Didn't they win it all in 2002...??!

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Bummer about Cook and Silent G :( Hope they get better soon. Too bad though, we really seemed to be coming together nicely with Cook at the point.

hurleyfor3
01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Makes one wonder what will get named for Roy.

I think the upper level of Allen Field House has a Roy Williams Memorial Urinal.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Apparently, they've got to draw blood before is dang foul on UMD!!!

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Our bigs are waaaay better than theirs...Keeping attacking inside...

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I just don't get the defensive style at all. We're coming way outside the three point line, doubling with bigs on ball screens, yet didn't generate a turnover until almost 12 minutes into the game. Even that one was a moving screen. All those doubles leave guys open and since its with bigs on the perimeter, that guy is usually inside. If it is outside, the help doesn't have time to get back. This team has been pretty good at defensive rebounding all year, so why not play back a little.

Not to mention, playing up into guys like Faust who shoot 19% from 3. It isn't like we need defensive pressure to take away the passing lanes, their bigs haven't done anything with their back to the basket. All of their offense is penetration and fast break off bad 3's.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Ugh, not looking like Dawkins's night :(

Highlander
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
They just showed a picture of the 2006 NCAA National Championship banner... Didn't they win it all in 2002...??!

I think that is their women's title.

lotusland
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM

Or Austin's or Seth's.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Perhaps a defensive play will get him going...I think he's going to be alright

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Ok, maybe I was wrong...

Devilsfan
01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Rivers is killing us. Needs to slow down and look for his teammates.

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Mason knocking them down at the line! His 4 ft's are the difference in the game

Mr.Analogy
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
back door cuts and dunks at will................

have we learned nothing from the FSU game?

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Mason knocking them down at the line! His 4 ft's are the difference in the game

Agreed! Keep it up Mason!

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Great D on Stoglin...Nothing but tough shots all half...Duke teams always seem to make it tough on high scoring guards...

Chicken Little
What a shock to see Karl Hess is officiating this game.

ChrisP
Sonofa... would have liked to have seen us score there an build our lead. Let's work it inside! Listen to the General!!!

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
What an absolutely crappy way to end a half! I don't know if it's youth or lack of leadership or what, but we really don't seem to play smart a lot of the time. I love this teams but oh man are they frustrating to watch!

throatybeard
01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the upper level of Allen Field House has a Roy Williams Memorial Urinal.

Reminds me of when I lived in House FF at Duke (UNC sticker in urinal) and worked at Mississippi State (Ole Miss sticker in urinal). What I've always wondered is how the person applied the sticker and what sanitation precautions they took. Ewww.

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Rivers continues to make the little mistakes that might cost them in the tourney. That said, gave up 22 points in the first 8:46 compared to 12 in 11:14. Hopefully the trend continues.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Disappointing 2nd foul on Mason...

3rd straight buzz beater against in as many halves...Hope we're up by at least four under 5 seconds tonight:o

duke96
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Absolutely no way thats a charge at the end of the half when the defender hopped forward mid-shot to get position. Knight totally missed that in lauding the play

DesertDevil
01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Rivers is killing us. Needs to slow down and look for his teammates.

Yep. I like his skill set, but he tries to do too much quite often.

Mr.Analogy
01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
What an absolutely crappy way to end a half! I don't know if it's youth or lack of leadership or what, but we really don't seem to play smart a lot of the time. I love this teams but oh man are they frustrating to watch!

Totally agree, Duke builds a lead and gets some momentum then just goes idle and lets plays like that one to end the half (and FSU at the end) happen. I was hoping to see a lot more improvement after the FSU game but honestly this is the same old team, same bag of tricks.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Can't believe Duke is winning. Don't deserve to be, but for some favorable calls. Thornton's defense is OVERRATED. He reaches, and gives up penetration constantly. Curry...........been MIA since about game 5 (This is the silent reason Duke has seemed to have regressed.). Austin Rivers just kills Duke, shoots teams back into games, and is a rally killer. He's got 2 points, and about 40 turnovers. And last, but not least, this team is just downright awful on the defensive end. Other than that, everything is breezy.

moonpie23
01-25-2012, 09:58 PM
this defense is terrible.......maryland is NOT that good, yet they continue to abuse us.....

sheesh....at least mason is hittin.....

ugh

Channing
01-25-2012, 10:00 PM
our d is so frustrating to watch. How many times do our perimeter defenders get way out of position going for a steal that is not even close to there? Invariably it leads to a drive and dish for an open shot.

And AR...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result (or so said Einstein)

MCFinARL
01-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I think that is their women's title.

Yes. The one that, sadly, they upset Duke to win.

60's Devil
01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
back door cuts and dunks at will................

have we learned nothing from the FSU game?

Apparently not. If we can't build on the FSU fiasco then we are doomed. Hope to see some kind of correction to minimize penetration in the next half......hope we have the people to do it. Plumlees looking good. Happy to get out of that half with a lead.

Chris Randolph
01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
This goes more for the entire season as opposed to just this game:

Part of the problem for this team defensively is the style at which they are being coached to play. No, I don't know close to as much as Coach K but as I've stated all season, this team is better suited to play a less aggressive defense much like the championship team of 2010. Coach K wasn't stubborn then I don't know why he has to be now.

The BIGGEST problem with this team is a lack of consistent play from experienced players. The Plumlees, Kelly, Curry, Dawkins. At different points in the season, all of them show a game or 2 in a row of good solid play. Then they have games where they look very average. I believe the coaches know this but for some reason getting consistent play from them just isn't happening (not the coaches fault as they've shown over the years to get the best and more out of guys). Which leaves the coaches looking to a freshman (who is a bit over rated dare I say) to be the most consistent/play the most minutes/be the playmaker. If the older guys played with more consistency, I believe we'd see an even better Austin Rivers. But they don't so he is shouldering too much of the load.

grossbus
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
someone invite our guards to the game...please!

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Can't believe Duke is winning. Don't deserve to be, but for some favorable calls. Thornton's defense is OVERRATED. He reaches, and gives up penetration constantly. Curry...........been MIA since about game 5 (This is the silent reason Duke has seemed to have regressed.). Austin Rivers just kills Duke, shoots teams back into games, and is a rally killer. He's got 2 points, and about 40 turnovers. And last, but not least, this team is just downright awful on the defensive end. Other than that, everything is breezy.

Seems like Thornton has done a nice job on Stoglin so far...Forcing him to take tough shots...

Sixthman
01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
He made his move to the basket too early; given his choice, a missed shot without the foul would have left Maryland with time for a good shot. It was more important for Maryland to not score at the end of the half than it was for Duke to score. His decision made for the worst possible outcome.

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Absolutely no way thats a charge at the end of the half when the defender hopped forward mid-shot to get position. Knight totally missed that in lauding the play

Regardless, Austin needs to pull up so it's not even an issue. Seemed like he was trying to pull up, but still kept some forward momentum.

Another stupid call by Knight was claiming there was no way Maryland should get the ball back before the half. There was like a 3-4 second difference in the shot and game clocks.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Seems like Thornton has done a nice job on Stoglin so far...Forcing him to take tough shots...

Watch the game. He'll reach, and get beat. And I stand by the rest of my post, which I will await for people to refute. The sky is not falling, but it's certainly drooping. With each game the team reveals more and more fatal March flaws.

moonpie23
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
no leader.....all looking at each other waiting on something...

well, cept austin.....who's busy checking his facebook...

Channing
01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I may have missed it, but was is the story with Cook? Is his knee acting up?

Channing
01-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Watch the game. He'll reach, and get beat. And I stand by the rest of my post, which I will await for people to refute. The sky is not falling, but it's certainly drooping. With each game the team reveals more and more fatal March flaws.

this ... for a "defensive stopper", he is a pretty mediocre defender. He does hustle though

Chris Randolph
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Seth Davis tweeted during first half that all "NBA scouts he talks to are convinced Rivers is coming out after this season. Davis says huge mistake, kid has NO idea how to play the game."

Couldn't agree more.

Billy Dat
Regardless, Austin needs to pull up so it's not even an issue. Seemed like he was trying to pull up, but still kept some forward momentum.

Another stupid call by Knight was claiming there was no way Maryland should get the ball back before the half. There was like a 3-4 second difference in the shot and game clocks.

Knight also failed to pick up on the fact that we were going two for one possession strategy to end the half, which is why Curry took the quick 3 with ~42 seconds left. I notice K does this all the time since being around the NBA guys with team USA.

Frustrating game so far, I agree.

jv001
no leader.....all looking at each other waiting on something...

well, cept austin.....who's busy checking his facebook...

Last year the same thing was being said about hb at unc and he got his season turned around. Look for Austin to do the same. By the way, he's just a freshman. I do agree we have no leader on this team. GoDuke!

Kfanarmy
01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the single biggest problem on D is that Duke has a couple of guards who are just learning how to stay in front of the opposing teams guards...they keep overcommitting in one direction, getting out of position, then trying to chase the ball down from behind. They put the whole defense at risk. They need to get a good defensive position and focus on staying in front of the opposing guard---quit trying to cut the offensive players movement off and simply stay in between them and the basket...to much unrewarded risk taking.

sporthenry
Seth Davis tweeted during first half that all "NBA scouts he talks to are convinced Rivers is coming out after this season. Davis says huge mistake, kid has NO idea how to play the game."

Couldn't agree more.

I agree but that might make it easier for him to fall to Boston (or at this point be a lottery pick to Boston) and be coached by his dad.

duke96

very true

CLW
01-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Defense continues to look awful. Mason has really improved the free throws. Pound the ball in the paint and we should be in good shape despite our matador defense.

Sixthman

With a 3 or 4 second diffenential, if you shoot with one to two seconds left on the clock (4 or 5 on the game clock), because the clock does not stop on the made basket, make or miss, it will be tough for Maryland to get a shot off other than from back court.

DukeHoopsGuru

Couldn't agree more.

Agree with everything. He will go out. He isn't ready. Not a smart basketball period let alone for a coach's son. He has been the opponent's best weapon at many points this season.

As I type this Duke gives up an easy deuce.

hurleyfor3
01-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Fourth-chance points. Gotta love it.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
My god, Curry's shot is off! Oy!

chaosmage
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
3 rebounds, 4 3-point shots? :-P We scored, I'll take it.. none of them were particularly bad.

duke96
01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Agree with everything. He will go out. He isn't ready. Not a smart basketball period let alone for a coach's son. He has been the opponent's best weapon at many points this season.

doesnt seem like he has learned anything over the course of the year, which is really pretty surprising.

MartyClark
I have come 180 degrees this year. The Plumlees are good. Our guards and wings are terrible.

ChrisP
Come on guys, settle down!!! Jeez!

Channing
01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
have these guys ever played before? my goodness - absolutely horrible.

CAT Blue Devil
01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
This is painful to watch... make the fundamental play.

chaosmage
01-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Umm... bad decision making all the way around. Bad pass to Dre, and he wasn't ready, bad pass to interior.. just not doing well at ALL.

Duke79UNLV77
and worst of all no one looks too upset about it. we need a leader.

and a seth who can shoot straight.

DUKIE V(A)

I am. He's a tough defender. Doing a nice job of denying Stoglin the ball and forcing tough shots.

wilko
What team are we watching?

_Gary
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Right now I can't say any of our guards have played well either offensively or defensively. It's been brutal, that's for sure.

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
I've never seen Duke have such a bad team on defense.
Rivers has been terrible.
Curry is way off.
It's a miracle we're only down 1.

Mr.Analogy
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Embarassing.

Buzzy Duke
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
This team is just not very good.

lotusland
01-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Wow a lot of overeacting about AR. Bad game but a pretty impressive freshman IMO. How many ACC POWs already as a freshman? I see a kid who learns pretty quick and corrects his mistakes.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Our three point shooting percentage in this game is approaching Mitt Romney's marginal tax rate. Yikes! Wide open looks not falling (over and over, too). :(

Mr.Analogy

Mason is the only one who showed up tonight, if it weren't for him we'd be down at least a dozen.

These freaking 3 pointers being put up that clang of the rim or backboard are killing me, where are our shooters??? still shell shocked from FSU?

# 6 team in the country???? I don't think so.

DukieInBrasil
Wow a lot of overeacting about AR. Bad game but a pretty impressive freshman IMO. How many ACC POWs already as a freshman? I see a kid who learns pretty quick and corrects his mistakes.

He did just hit two tough buckets in a row.

Chicken Little
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM

This team is not playing to their potential. Much better problem to have(and fix) than 'not very good'.

_Gary
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow a lot of overeacting about AR.

Absolutely. The kid isn't perfect, but he's far from being the big problem with this Duke team. He's more of an asset than he is a liability, but to read this thread one wouldn't know that. Tonight, up to this point, the team as a whole just isn't playing well. None of the guards are staying in front of their men and Seth/Dre are as off as they can be.

throatybeard
Right now I can't say any of our guards have played well either offensively or defensively. It's been brutal, that's for sure.

Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

lotusland

???????????????????????????

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Ground and Pound...Continuously...

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
LOVING Mason's FT's tonight. He's having a great game. Too bad he has to get fouled 3x for them to call one but...that's what you get for an ACC road game with Hess officiating.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Thornton getting beat yet again. Not sure how he got the moniker of defensive stopper.

MartyClark
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Although I don't understand the comment, I completely agree.

El_Diablo
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
When Rivers has the ball in his hands in the last 10 seconds of the first half, here are our results thus far this season:

-Michigan State (Rivers turnover, Wood made jumper)
-Davidson (Rivers turnover, Droney 2 FTs made)
-Tennessee (Rivers missed jumper)
-Michigan (Rivers turnover)
-Washington (Rivers turnover)
-Wake Forest (Rivers layup)
-FSU (Rivers missed 3, Snaer made 3)
-Maryland (Rivers turnover, Padgett made layup)

Points Summary
Duke: 2
Opponents: 9
Net: -7

_Gary
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM

I have no idea if you just insulted me or not. :p

Let me just say I'm not blowing up. Not in the least (in case you think I am). In fact I'm as calm as I've been with Duke in a game like this in forever. I think they'll pull this out in spite of not being "on" from 3.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
REALLY struggling to finish fast breaks...

Nice bucket in the half court set by AR though...

GROUND AND POUND...

UrinalCake
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Rivers has turned it on the last few minutes. Need to play smart and d it up to get this win.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Thornton getting beat yet again. Not sure how he got the moniker of defensive stopper.

Has given up 1 pt to Stoglin in the half in 8 minutes of D this half...he's doing a great job so far...

77devil
01-25-2012, 10:35 PM
The only part of this game that I am enjoying is Bob Knight's commentary and a respite from Len Elmore.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Has given up 1 pt to Stoglin in the half in 8 minutes of D this half...he's doing a great job so far... concur...I... don't think he is a problem on D...team Defense and preventing penetration is....

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Jeez Curry, at least TRY to put your hands up on D!!!

hustleplays
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
The only part of this game that I am enjoying is Bob Knight's commentary and a respite from Len Elmore.

Isn't it refreshing? I actually learn things listening to Knight.

chaosmage
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
The last few plays have looked like we are creating for Austin the same way we used to create for Redick. Everyone up above the foul line and then pass to Austin and he drives to the basket. Same on the last play and the play when he blew by Len.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
I know I sound like a broken record but oh man, this team is frustrating to watch - we finally build a decent lead and then we miss the rebound on a missed FT and give up a basket and boom, there goes our lead!

_Gary
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
concur...I... don't think he is a problem on D...team Defense and preventing penetration is....

If we are talking about Tyler, I just saw him get burned badly to cut the lead to 59-54. Tonight I don't really see any of our guards staying in front of their men very well. The problems on defense are the T-E-A-M's, not one or two individuals.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
concur...I... don't think he is a problem on D...team Defense and preventing penetration is....

What game are you guys watching? Maryland has gone iso with Stoglin the last few minutes every offensive possession. And it's worked.

Devilsfan
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
It's a good thing Maryland sucks.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
How many freakin' times does Thornton have to get run over for it to be called (correctly) an offensive foul on the MD point guard. Unbelievable. Well, maybe not considering that Hess is one of the refs tonight.

77devil
01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Isn't it refreshing? I actually learn things listening to Knight.

And he actually talks about the game and the action on the court.

DUKIE V(A)

Forcing him to get the ball far away from the basket...One way to "contain" a very good offensive player...Many drives starting from far away from the basket...Agree that there is plenty of opportunity to help...Need to improve in this aspect...

JNort
It's a good thing Maryland sucks.

This game sure has me fooled *facepalm*. Our defense is bad but thing that bothers me most is our guards do not block out after shots.

jipops
01-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this game coming down to Maryland having the final possession with either a tie or one point differential.

PSurprise
01-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this game coming down to Maryland having the final possession with either a tie or one point differential.

That never makes me feel comfortable. Ever.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Second time I have seen a MD player jump and down and pout after a foul call. If we did that - automatic T (probably on Daniel Ewing)

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I believe this will be Mason's coming out party for the rest of the year. I know he has had big games throughout the year but I think this seals him leaving for the NBA.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
OMG, Mason get's absolutely HACKED and no call then they call Austin for a touch foul on the rebound. This is really ridiculous officiating...

Devilsfan
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Rivers is keeping Maryland in the game. Mason is putting a complete game together and it terrific to see.

jipops
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Mason is doing a great job of doing nothing but setting screens tonight.

MartyClark
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I believe this will be Mason's coming out party for the rest of the year. I know he has had big games throughout the year but I think this seals him leaving for the NBA.

Hope you are wrong on that. Mason has been great. Our guards have been outplayed and look bad.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Seth Curry is like an automatic TO waiting to happen. He continues to make really poor decisions when the ball is in his hands. Cannot BELIEVE we ended up with a three second call there. I think what frustrates me most is that he is essentially a senior - he should know better.

snowdenscold
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Mason only has 9 rebounds?? Seems like a lot more!

wilko
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM

The key is part of that statement is "rest of the year"...
Now that he has made strides to improve his FT% he needs a little bit of a jump shot..
Small complaint.

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
We've been here before, can we score when we play stall ball and/or get a few stops? Looks like we elected to attack their defense with Kelly backdoor and that should seal the game.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Mason only has 9 rebounds?? Seems like a lot more!

Yeah, agreed - seems like he's got more like 15!

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Rivers is keeping Maryland in the game. Mason is putting a complete game together and it terrific to see.

with his 10pts on 5-12 shooting 4rebs and 3asts. Yeah he's a terrible liability.

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Now why in the world didn't we immediately pass the ball back to Seth there instead of letting Thornton get fouled?

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Does this mean no riot in College Park tonight?

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Again, why not pass it to Seth in that situation? But...kudos to Tyler for knocking down his FT's! :D

ChrisP
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
OMG, did my eyes just deceive me or did Karl Hess just call an offensive foul against MD at the end of a game? Holy cow, I think I better get right with god...

sporthenry
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
OMG, did my eyes just deceive me or did Karl Hess just call an offensive foul against MD at the end of a game? Holy cow, I think I better get right with god...

He still found a way to give UMD their points though.

Chicken Little
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
10 point lead with a minute left. Hmmmm...

snowdenscold
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Why do teams foul down 11 with 35 seconds left? You're just padding the score for the other team.

DesertDevil
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
10 point lead with a minute left. Hmmmm...

Every time I see any team in that situation, I think back to that game. LOL

Good win (they all are), but definitely not a pretty one.

DUKIE V(A)
01-25-2012, 11:03 PM
with his 10pts on 5-12 shooting 4rebs and 3asts. Yeah he's a terrible liability.

Not to mention that four of those buckets came at a very critical time...