PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott unhappy with Kyrie Irving's Defense

Pomona
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/01/kyrie_irvings_defense_a_growin.html

Scott says Irving's playing time will not increase until his defense improves.

"You are going to run into a guy every night that can play and if you are not ready or you're lazy or you're just not into it, you are going to get eaten up," said Byron Scott Saturday on his quick hook on Kyrie Irving Friday against Chicago.

"He's a defensive-minded coach and he was a defensive-minded player," Irving said. "I kind of appreciate him giving it to me like that because I do have to get better. It's all about what my man is doing. I take full responsibility for it."

It's hard to remember he is only 19!

jv001
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Wonder what Byron would think of Duke's current perimeter defenders, ? GoDuke!

6th Man
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I am a huge fan of Kyrie Irving, but I must confess I thought he was a subpar defender in his limited time with Duke. Amazing in all other facets.

_Gary
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I am a huge fan of Kyrie Irving, but I must confess I thought he was a subpar defender in his limited time with Duke. Amazing in all other facets.

I completely disagree. I thought Kyrie stayed in front of his man better than most when he was healthy, and the little I've seen of him as a Cav doesn't jive with what Scott is staying. But who am I to question the great Byron Scott? Okay, in an attempt to not be sarcastic I'll conclude by saying I only had a chance to see the first few Cav games (when DirectTV was giving us a free preview of League Pass). Perhaps he has been dogging it on defense. All I know is he's been a very, very solid player for Cleveland and I do think Scott is an idiot if he continues down this path. The Cavs need Kyrie on the floor if they have any hope of being competitive night in and night out. Of that I'm sure.

JNort
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Idk sounds to me he is just wanting to keep Kyrie in check and working hard to get better. I have watched a few Cavs games and he has done about like you would expect a rookie pg to play on D and getting better. Maybe Byron Scott does not want all this early success to get to Kyrie's head and is just giving him a little push to stay motivated.

HDB
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I completely disagree. I thought Kyrie stayed in front of his man better than most when he was healthy, and the little I've seen of him as a Cav doesn't jive with what Scott is staying. But who am I to question the great Byron Scott? Okay, in an attempt to not be sarcastic I'll conclude by saying I only had a chance to see the first few Cav games (when DirectTV was giving us a free preview of League Pass). Perhaps he has been dogging it on defense. All I know is he's been a very, very solid player for Cleveland and I do think Scott is an idiot if he continues down this path. The Cavs need Kyrie on the floor if they have any hope of being competitive night in and night out. Of that I'm sure.

I also recall Kyrie being a pretty solid defender pre-toe injury. The game I most remember is the lock down job he applied to Jacob Pullen. However, when he returned from the injury I thought his lateral quickness was a step slow and he had problems staying with his man.

Lord Ash
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Likewise, seem to remember Kyrie helping to hold a few different capable opposing PGs to pretty bad games before the toe. If anyone can improve through work and diligence, I have faith Kyrie is that guy:)

Andy7207
01-24-2012, 01:41 AM
All I know is he's been a very, very solid player for Cleveland and I do think Scott is an idiot if he continues down this path. The Cavs need Kyrie on the floor if they have any hope of being competitive night in and night out. Of that I'm sure.

Kyrie definitely has a measurable positive impact on their offense, but there are basically three reasons why he isn't playing more (in addition to his defense):

1. His conditioning isn't up to NBA standards - even in the article, he admits to taking "breathers."
2. They don't want him to injure/re-injure himself - whether it's his toe or any other part of his body. He is still 19 and not finished growing/building the muscle required to keep taking it to the rim.
3. Less so than the other reasons, but there is some pressure to "tank" this year. In my opinion, this is a great idea - they need a top-7ish pick in this year's draft to really build a core of young players, a la OKC. In other words, there is no rush to push Kyrie for more minutes when this is a rebuilding year anyways.

The Wizards are terrible this year, so I've switched to the Cavs (that's when you know it's bad).

COYS
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
I also recall Kyrie being a pretty solid defender pre-toe injury. The game I most remember is the lock down job he applied to Jacob Pullen. However, when he returned from the injury I thought his lateral quickness was a step slow and he had problems staying with his man.

Nolan helped out A LOT on Pullen in that game. Kyrie had good instincts and was quick and long enough to bother most opposing point guards, but he also had some great help from an even more accomplished defender in Nolan Smith. Kyrie is being asked to do a lot in his age 19 season in the NBA after 11 college games, no matter what his talent level is. He is already a very good NBA point guard but I don't think we should be surprised that he's not a lock down defender yet. For that matter, Derrick Rose still isn't as good on defense as he could be. Kyrie's got time to grow =).

MChambers
01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Funny, but I really don't remember Scott as a defensive-minded player. Michael Cooper was the Laker's key perimeter defender.

NSDukeFan
01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Funny, but I really don't remember Scott as a defensive-minded player. Michael Cooper was the Laker's key perimeter defender.

Cooper was the defensive stopper, but Scott did guard the quickest perimeter player in the starting lineup as Magic guarded someone else. I liked Scott a lot as a player, great shooter, jumped well, defended.

MChambers
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Cooper was the defensive stopper, but Scott did guard the quickest perimeter player in the starting lineup as Magic guarded someone else. I liked Scott a lot as a player, great shooter, jumped well, defended.
Magic wasn't quick enough to guard most NBA points, so Scott got it by default, but I remember Scott mostly for his shooting.

DUKIE V(A)
01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
If considering talent alone, I am sure there are very few players the Cavs would trade Kyrie for straight up (and even fewer when age and attitude are factored in). Kyrie is a stud!

flyingdutchdevil
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
If considering talent alone, I am sure there are very few players the Cavs would trade Kyrie for straight up (and even fewer when age and attitude are factored in). Kyrie is a stud!

Would they trade for Lebron? ;)

_Gary
01-24-2012, 09:10 PM
I still think Scott is foolish to be sitting and, more importantly, calling out a player that has been averaging 20 pts per on 56% shooting in his last 8 games. I'm sorry, but this kid has been on a tear and for Byron Scott to do anything to screw that up is nothing short of idiotic. I have a hard time believing the Cavs getting blown out the last couple of games is all on Kyrie, yet he seemed to be the only guy publically called out for a lack of defense.

toooskies
01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Being a Cavs fan and occasionally reading the blogs: as well as Kyrie is playing at PG, the PG on the other side of the floor is typically having as good or a better game than him. In losing to the Hawks, Jeff Teague and Jannero Pargo put up 28 points and 0 turnovers against the Cavs' PGs (Kyrie and Sessions had 31, 8 t/os, 7 of which belonged to Kyrie). C.J. Watson scored more points and had fewer turnovers than Kyrie the game before. Nate Robinson outplayed him the game before that. D.J. Augustin had an impressive night the game before that.

So, um, yeah. Teague/Watson/Robinson/Augustin aren't exactly the league's PGs you want beating you. But there's no shame in needing to improve on D as a rookie, especially when you aren't known for your athleticism.

Andy7207
01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
So, um, yeah. Teague/Watson/Robinson/Augustin aren't exactly the league's PGs you want beating you. But there's no shame in needing to improve on D as a rookie, especially when you aren't known for your athleticism.

Agreed. I've seen about 70% of the Cavs' games and his defense isn't as good as it was at Duke; most likely just an NBA adjustment phase. More importantly, the Cavs organization and fans absolutely love him.

moonpie23
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
commentators on the heat/cavs game pretty much in awe of KI

MCFinARL
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I still think Scott is foolish to be sitting and, more importantly, calling out a player that has been averaging 20 pts per on 56% shooting in his last 8 games. I'm sorry, but this kid has been on a tear and for Byron Scott to do anything to screw that up is nothing short of idiotic. I have a hard time believing the Cavs getting blown out the last couple of games is all on Kyrie, yet he seemed to be the only guy publically called out for a lack of defense.

To whom much is given, much is expected. Judging from Kyrie's "I know I have a lot to learn" response, maybe Scott knows what he is doing. Kyrie seems like a kid who is mature beyond his years and has a great interest in learning and improving. Given how gaga the fans and commentators have been, maybe Scott's remarks, however, blunt, offer an important reality check to keep Kyrie focused on what he needs to do and on track to improve his game.

Devilsfan
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Scott calls out his best player knowing deep down that Kyrie is a terrific young man, respects authority and accepts criticism. He also must know Kyrie will be a Cav a lot longer than he will. Hope Kyries' next boss keeps the criticism inside the locker room not out in the media. If Kyrie calls out Scott in public probably nobody accepts it. It only works one way? Certain things should stay within the "family" for Scott sake as well.

gep
01-24-2012, 11:44 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/01/kyrie_irvings_defense_a_growin.html

Scott says Irving's playing time will not increase until his defense improves.

"You are going to run into a guy every night that can play and if you are not ready or you're lazy or you're just not into it, you are going to get eaten up," said Byron Scott Saturday on his quick hook on Kyrie Irving Friday against Chicago.

"He's a defensive-minded coach and he was a defensive-minded player," Irving said. "I kind of appreciate him giving it to me like that because I do have to get better. It's all about what my man is doing. I take full responsibility for it."

It's hard to remember he is only 19!

Regardless of Byron Scott's motives/musings/etc, I think the bolded quote above is exactly why Kyrie will be successful, and why I especially like him and enjoy watching him. :cool:

doctorhook
01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Cleveland hung tough with Miami in a loss last night. KI had 17 on 7/11 shooting, 4 asst. 4 reb. Working on his D.