PDA

View Full Version : Paul Johnson yanks scholarship a week before signing day (FB)

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Ugh, I'm not sure what to make of this. I think not taking the kid is the right thing to do, but I don't see why GT took so long to do it.
Junior Gnonkonde was GT's first commitment of 2012.

Junior Gnonkonde, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound defensive end from Lanier County High School, had his scholarship offer withdrawn by Georgia Tech on Friday. He had been committed to the Yellow Jackets since last February.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/21/georgia-tech-first-commitment-for-2012-gets-scholarship-offer-revoked/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

johnb
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I assume there's another side and that Johnson isn't allowed to voice his perspective, BUT if it's true that the only problem was an ACT taken last spring, then I think it's a scuzzy move on Johnson's part. It may be that they got to know him and realized they didn't like him or there is some sort of hidden behavioral problem or GT is disorganized or the Admissions Office suddenly decided to reduce the number of at-risk entering players (or perhaps the staff downgraded him from a priority recruit who they'd fight for), but it puts the kid in an awkward, embarrassing spot and reduces his options. Again, there may have been something else going on, but if these are the basic facts and if they reflect Johnson's attitude towards players, then I'm embarrassed he's coaching in the ACC. Of course, the floor on ACC football morality is sinking lower and lower, but it would still be a shabby move.

Note: in looking at their website, I see that 3 of their 4 top-rated recruits are defensive lineman, and so my uninformed guess would be that once they got these other guys on board, this young man became expendable and not someone on whom they wanted to waste an Admissions favor. Baseline, then, I'd say it's really crummy...